HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shakeup of roster looms as Rangers get healthier

Old
01-09-2012, 09:12 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Thank you. Torts put Dubi at 3rd/4th liner when he wasn't going offensively. Now that he is, it's highly unlikely he gets moved away from Richards and Callahan, especially with how that line has been playing the past week.

My worry is Anisimov, especially come playoff time. He hasn't shown me a consistent willingness to be involved when the game gets physical. That's why I'm in favor of adding someone like Ruutu at the right price. AA does a lot of good things, but, he can disappear and play small when the game gets more physical.
That's my concern with Anisimov. He's a little soft. But he's solid defensively.

Add Ruutu. And Anisimov can go back to a more natural role and add center depth. Shift Boyle back to the 4th line.

Ruutu. Stepan. Gaborik
Dubinsky. Richards. Callahan
Hagelin. Anisimov. Fedotenko/Mitchell
Rupp. Boyle. Prust

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
That's my concern with Anisimov. He's a little soft. But he's solid defensively.

Add Ruutu. And Anisimov can go back to a more natural role and add center depth. Shift Boyle back to the 4th line.

Ruutu. Stepan. Gaborik
Dubinsky. Richards. Callahan
Hagelin. Anisimov. Fedotenko/Mitchell
Rupp. Boyle. Prust
Im into it. Ruutu likely wont cost a roster player, maybe a higher-end prospect and a 2nd rounder...can add just as much offense as Anisimov with much more "jam"

If the team wants to go a step further and use Anisimov as the centerpiece for a true offensive threat on the wing, I wouldnt be adverse to that either.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:35 AM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

Personally, I move Wolski to the now desperate Pens for draft picks or prospects and open up some $ for a deadline acquisition if we need it.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:36 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
My worry is Anisimov, especially come playoff time. He hasn't shown me a consistent willingness to be involved when the game gets physical. That's why I'm in favor of adding someone like Ruutu at the right price. AA does a lot of good things, but, he can disappear and play small when the game gets more physical.
It is a legit worry. But I tend to think that he can fill out his frame a bit more. he can be fine, and let's remember his age is still very young.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Wamsutta
I'm Glen Sather IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Personally, I move Wolski to the now desperate Pens for draft picks or prospects and open up some $ for a deadline acquisition if we need it.
I like this idea. Wolski, to me, is expendable as h*ck.

Wamsutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:02 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Sounds good to me.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
thats not a bad idea ........now would the Pens do it and would the Rangers want to move him to a division rival

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:03 AM
OverTheCap

Yes, it sucks for Wolski that he hasn't been playing, but I still don't understand why some Rangers fans are so desperate to get him into the lineup considering how successful this team has been in the last few weeks.

It's one thing if Wolski was a more consistent player and you knew what you were getting with him each night. But Wolski is a wild card... the assumption amongst some Rangers fans is that he'll make the team better but he in fact may alter the chemistry and make the team worse. There's no need to take that risk when the team has won the 9 of its last 10.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Wamsutta
I'm Glen Sather IRL

He's wildly inconsistent and there's no reason to fix what ain't broken. Wolski is no more important to the club than Christensen or Avery at this point. Neither's playing and neither needs to, and the deceision to insert either into the lineup should be an obvious "No" as things stand.

Wamsutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:22 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Idk if Sather wants to deal Wolski to a division rival. As average as he was last year, there's enough talent there that he could rebound and potentially help them out down the stretch.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:26 AM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Idk if Sather wants to deal Wolski to a division rival. As average as he was last year, there's enough talent there that he could rebound and potentially help them out down the stretch.
Yeah, I get that. Still, having a 3.8 million dollar cap hit sitting on your bench isn't terribly wise and Pittsburgh is in a position of weakness. I don't think WW pushes them over the edge to make the playoffs or not and he is an expiring contract.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:29 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Yeah, I get that. Still, having a 3.8 million dollar cap hit sitting on your bench isn't terribly wise and Pittsburgh is in a position of weakness. I don't think WW pushes them over the edge to make the playoffs or not and he is an expiring contract.
Yes but he will be a RFA.

I am not totally opposed to the idea, although I am sure another team would be interested.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
yea they likely keep Wolski unless they put him in a package for a replacement winger..........worse case is they can put him on waivers at the deadline to create space for a deal.......

Old
01-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
I don't think his contract is that big of a deal at this point. I'm fine with dealing him, but definitely not to a division rival (unless it was the Islanders I suppose). Especially not to one who has a coach who has shown he can get some serious mileage out of some pretty average players.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:57 AM
MSG the place to be*

John Mitchell scares the crap out of me. I'm not a Wolski fan but I'd like to see someone else in that slot. (Avery Avery Avery)

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:01 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
I don't think his contract is that big of a deal at this point. I'm fine with dealing him, but definitely not to a division rival (unless it was the Islanders I suppose). Especially not to one who has a coach who has shown he can get some serious mileage out of some pretty average players.

Imagine what playing on Malkin's wing could do for Wolski.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:12 AM
mullichicken25

I'm down for shipping Wolski out, considering the success the team has had without him in the lineup

however, i can all but garantee that no team is going to trade for him until they see how he plays coming back form this injury

mullichicken25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:30 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
John Mitchell scares the crap out of me. I'm not a Wolski fan but I'd like to see someone else in that slot. (Avery Avery Avery)
If Avery was in John Mitchell's spot and was playing the way Mitchell has since his first couple of games, the outrage over what a worthless hockey player he is would be enormous. Because he's John Mitchell and fans don't adore him no one seems to mind what a mediocre hockey player he is.

Mitchell is okay. That's about it. He's done nothing since his first couple of games offensively, and given the fact that he's playing on the third line that kind of hurts us. I like the guy, he's just all around okay. Wolski in for him makes perfect sense, IMO. At least until Wolski reminds us how "meh" he is and then you can re-insert Mitchell and see if you get some more out of him.

For a guy who should be thankful he even got another chance in the NHL, Mitchell sure hasn't played with much desperation since his first couple of games. He almost looks like someone who thinks he can't be replaced.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:59 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
If Avery was in John Mitchell's spot and was playing the way Mitchell has since his first couple of games, the outrage over what a worthless hockey player he is would be enormous. Because he's John Mitchell and fans don't adore him no one seems to mind what a mediocre hockey player he is.

Mitchell is okay. That's about it. He's done nothing since his first couple of games offensively, and given the fact that he's playing on the third line that kind of hurts us. I like the guy, he's just all around okay. Wolski in for him makes perfect sense, IMO. At least until Wolski reminds us how "meh" he is and then you can re-insert Mitchell and see if you get some more out of him.

For a guy who should be thankful he even got another chance in the NHL, Mitchell sure hasn't played with much desperation since his first couple of games. He almost looks like someone who thinks he can't be replaced.
Mitchell has 8 points in 21 games and is a +9. That extrapolates to ~32 points. He also has only 2 PIM's. The guy is solid defensively, good along the walls, hits and has a 58.6 FO%.

I would say he is easily a 4th liner in the NHL with the way he plays. To me, his play style reminds me of Ruslan Fedotenko.

Not flashy but he grinds and is difficult to play against because he is a big body who plays hard on the puck all over the ice.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:03 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
The question that you have to ask is if replacing Mitchell with Wolski will hurt the team's overall defensive game. Wolski has not shown that he can create offense by himself. So playing with Boyle will not make him score. And while Mitchell is certainly replaceable, does subtractign him and adding Wolski make the team weaker defensively?

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Vitto79

http://www.snyrangersblog.com/

Torts told the team he didnt like their intesity in practice so they went back to dressing room then back out, lol

way to stay on them. work harder!

btw u want EC in for Mitchell on the4th line?

Old
01-09-2012, 01:11 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Mitchell has 8 points in 21 games and is a +9. That extrapolates to ~32 points. He also has only 2 PIM's. The guy is solid defensively, good along the walls, hits and has a 58.6 FO%.

I would say he is easily a 4th liner in the NHL with the way he plays. To me, his play style reminds me of Ruslan Fedotenko.

Not flashy but he grinds and is difficult to play against because he is a big body who plays hard on the puck all over the ice.
He had three points in his first three games. So he's got five in the 18 games since then, two of which came in the Winter Classic on Rupp's goals where he really didn't create anything.

I'm not one of those guys who only cares about points. I don't at all. I'm not saying he should be putting up legitimate offensive numbers. My only point is that he's a mediocre player. One who is finally playing on the fourth line, where he should be. The problem we have is that we have too many 4th liners. Mitchell needs to be there. I think over the long haul he hurts us if he's playing the third line, he's just not good enough offensively. Boyle should also be on the fourth. Rupp and Prust are fourth liners, and then you've got Fedotenko, who has been extremely underwhelming this season and if not for his Torts connection and playoff pedigree probably wouldn't be on this team.

I don't disagree with your description of his game. It's just that there's nothing incredibly impressive about any of that. There's plenty of guys in this league who can give you that. His faceoffs are the most important aspect of his game.

Our offense is more spread out this year but I think it would help if we had a third line that could chip in occasionally. Mitchell hasn't shown any consistent offensive instincts or ability to do anything in the O-zone other than cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
The question that you have to ask is if replacing Mitchell with Wolski will hurt the team's overall defensive game. Wolski has not shown that he can create offense by himself. So playing with Boyle will not make him score. And while Mitchell is certainly replaceable, does subtractign him and adding Wolski make the team weaker defensively?
I'm not saying Wolski should replace Mitchell, I'm just saying I wouldn't care if he did. To me they're both mediocre players. We all know Wolski's history and how much offensive potential he has, but his lack of consistency, IMO puts him right there with a guy like Mitchell. At least with Mitchell you know what you're getting. That's probably why Torts is hesitant to make the change. I wouldn't mind flip flopping them in the lineup and then as I mentioned going back to Mitchell when Wolski inevitably goes invisible. It might up both of their games as they compete with one another. Right now Wolski isn't competing with anyone cause he's not being given a chance to.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

John Mitchell should stay. Laviolette fears him!

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:40 PM
MSG the place to be*

Mitchell is prone to the high risk play. It's only hurt us once that I can recall (against Wash) but that is why he makes me nervous. In all other regards he is pretty average to useful. And this isn't based on his Johnny Malkin reputation. This is based on my astute analysis.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:42 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Wolski is soft, lazy and not mentally strong enough to play Tort's brand of hockey.

He is a skilled guy but doesn't mean ****....I am sure Sather is working the phones.

If we could get a 5th rounder for him it would be wise to move him.

Anyone who says Rupp is garbage should ask Dave Maloney that question.
Are you guys looking for a defenceman? The Sens have a couple to trade. Would you take either Filip Kuba LD or Brian Lee RD for Wolski?

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote