HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Recall Magnus Paajarvi and Ryan O'Marra; Brule Claimed by PHX

Old
01-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Koto

vCash: 500
as long as prv is playing top six, with a regular spot on a PP unit he can develop here. the problem is if renney prefers belanger/jones/horc/certain dmen on the PP still.

should be taken beyond his control though with eberle and RNH out.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:15 AM
awesomo
HARD!

In other news. Brule missed games this season bc he had second degree burns from a pop tart

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:17 AM
archangel archangel

vCash: 50
well hopefully the oilers have another player who is coming up when Brule gets claimed, two twitter tweeters are saying NYI have already put in a claim

archangel archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:22 AM
Hockey Nightmare

Bet you the leafs claim him if they can.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I'm not a fan of Paajarvi being brought up but since he is, i certainly hope that he was brought up replace Eberle in the top 6 otherwise what's the point?
Also, i'm sure that it would suck for him when RNH and Eberle come back because he'll be right back to playing with the grinders in the bottom 6 which will once again, shatter any confidence that he might have been playing with in the top 6. I don't like this move one bit.

I do like O'Marra being called up, i said it when Green was called up that i thought O'Marra should have been here instead of Green.
I agree completely. Give him the 2nd line RW spot if Eberle is out for a few more games. If not the big wigs are wasting our time and our prospects!

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
joestevens29

vCash: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Don't you think that his development is of the utmost importance?
Do you think that him bouncing around from the bottom 6 to the top 6 to the bottom 6 to the pressbox to OKC back to the top 6 then back again to the bottom 6 or OKC when Eberle returns is good for his development?

What i would do is keeping him in OKC for the rest of the year so that he can regain his confidence (which he seems to have been doing down there) let him get a taste of being in a winning atmosphere and play some playoff games so that it toughens him up then start him fresh next year in the top 6 to most likely replace Hemsky full time IF he earns it in Training Camp.
Depends how they use him, I don't think the plan is to bounce him around that much. There is no room for him to be used in a more offensive role, something there wasn't before.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Gus Schmidt

It sure seems foolish to expose Brule to a waiver claim, when they have so many injuries on both the Oil and OKC.

Gus Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

I'm pretty certain Brule gets claimed at this point in the season. Seriously what is the point of doing that to OKC?

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard armus View Post
well hopefully the oilers have another player who is coming up when Brule gets claimed, two twitter tweeters are saying NYI have already put in a claim
so nyi is trying to make us out tank them?

Old
01-09-2012, 11:25 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard armus View Post
They don't play til Wednesday, I'm sure we could call someone else up tomorrow if need be.

Old
01-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I'm pretty certain Brule gets claimed at this point in the season. Seriously what is the point of doing that to OKC?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

still paying him 1.8M this year, would only half to pay half.

im wondering why he wasnt exposed earlier, would save katz about 450K right now, would have saved him a total of 900K at the beginning of the year.

Old
01-09-2012, 11:27 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
We are pretty stacked down there and the talk all year has been about opening up room. Not sure if it's the end of the world.

Old
01-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Cam98

this means eberle will be out for significant time.

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

im wondering why he wasnt exposed earlier, would save katz about 450K right now, would have saved him a total of 900K at the beginning of the year.
Umm yeah. Paying 1.8 million and getting something or paying 900k and getting absolutely nothing. Sounds like your proposal is a great ROI.

Old
01-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

But isn't it for twice the term though? Wouldn't that mean we have to pay next year as well or does the fact he only has this year change that?

Seems kind of silly to do it now when both teams are hurting and you already paid half his salary....Unless of course they need the contract space due to possible signing/trades.....

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
We are pretty stacked down there and the talk all year has been about opening up room. Not sure if it's the end of the world.
We'll see in April.

I'm pretty sure we could be looking back tot his move when the Barons fall from top spot and make an early 1st round playoff exit. On the other hand maybe guys like Hamilton and Pitlick are ready to step it up, I don't know.

Either way this team gets a pile of injuries. I don't see what the point in saving about 450k is to lose some depth, unless of course this isn't a hockey move and is the Oilers doing Brule a favor to get him back into the NHL.

Old
01-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam98 View Post
this means eberle will be out for significant time.
Like I said when I saw him at the bar, he gave me the impression that he would miss some games but nothing serious.

The impression Hall and Horcoff gave me was something entirely different.

Old
01-09-2012, 11:34 AM
speeds

Quote:
Saving ~450K?

speeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
But isn't it for twice the term though? Wouldn't that mean we have to pay next year as well or does the fact he only has this year change that?

Seems kind of silly to do it now when both teams are hurting and you already paid half his salary....Unless of course they need the contract space due to possible signing/trades.....
You're thinking of a buyout where the dollar amount is spread over twice the remaining contract length.

I suppose opening up another contract spot is another positive to the move. Although I think the Oilers have to be in a position to be making a 3 for 1 trade instead of doing a 1 for 3 trade.

Old
01-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Gus Schmidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds View Post
Saving ~450K?
Doesn't seem like much when compared to what Souray cost them.

Gus Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds View Post
Saving ~450K?
OMG, you throw tha tout like it's a huge number. Yes to us worker bees, that is a significant amount. To an owner of an NHL team, that is peanuts and probably the amount his toilet paper costs for one wipe.

Old
01-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Hemsky4PM

Exposing Brule to reentry was always in the team's plans, ever since he didn't crack the lineup to start the year.

There isn't a point to keeping him. To retain his rights costs 1.85M this summer. Not happening. Other prospects will get some additional opportunities as well (like Pitlick, Hamilton and Hartikainen).

The Oilers stink. These minor moves are just part of the "process".

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:39 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
We'll see in April.

I'm pretty sure we could be looking back tot his move when the Barons fall from top spot and make an early 1st round playoff exit. On the other hand maybe guys like Hamilton and Pitlick are ready to step it up, I don't know.

Either way this team gets a pile of injuries. I don't see what the point in saving about 450k is to lose some depth, unless of course this isn't a hockey move and is the Oilers doing Brule a favor to get him back into the NHL.
It could just be about doing him a favor.

with that being said Brule isn't exactly lighting it up down there so maybe he goes unclaimed.

Old
01-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
OMG, you throw tha tout like it's a huge number. Yes to us worker bees, that is a significant amount. To an owner of an NHL team, that is peanuts and probably the amount his toilet paper costs for one wipe.
You don't get rich by not caring about nearly half a million bucks. Please let me never come close to a business you are involved in.

Brule isn't the make or break players needed to win a Calder Cup. Sorry to say.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:41 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Exposing Brule to reentry was always in the team's plans, ever since he didn't crack the lineup to start the year.

There isn't a point to keeping him. To retain his rights costs 1.85M this summer. Not happening. Other prospects will get some additional opportunities as well (like Pitlick, Hamilton and Hartikainen).

The Oilers stink. These minor moves are just part of the "process".
What does this mean? The summer really means nothing as we don't have to offer him anything.