HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Recall Magnus Paajarvi and Ryan O'Marra; Brule Claimed by PHX

Old
01-09-2012, 12:41 PM
oiler-dude

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Like I said when I saw him at the bar, he gave me the impression that he would miss some games but nothing serious.

The impression Hall and Horcoff gave me was something entirely different.
I can vouch that the Oilers were indeed at the bar, I was there as well. Can't vouch for what they said to Reimer though, as I don't know him.

What impressions did Hall & Horcoff give you? The way you worded it, certainly doesn't sound good.

oiler-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Calling up Paajarvi right now is dumb as ****. He only potted a solitary goal in 10 games down there and he needs to work on his game. Calling him back up this soon doesn't send that kind of a message to the player does it? Unless the demotion was only a "reality check/conditioning assignment" it makes little sense to call him up so soon.

That said I am throwing it out there right now, if he is brought up and played in the bottom 6 and/or doesn't get a lick of PP time with 2 of the top 6 guys out I will be tearing Renney a new ass on here every chance that I get. If that is how they handle this player then they are dumber than dog ****.

01-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Hockey Nightmare
Ex-hockey fan

Maybe they just don't have much of a choice though. Eberle out. RNH out. Horcoff might as well be out. They need help.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:46 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Calling up Paajarvi right now is dumb as ****. He only potted a solitary goal in 10 games down there and he needs to work on his game. Calling him back up this soon doesn't send that kind of a message to the player does it? Unless the demotion was only a "reality check/conditioning assignment" it makes little sense to call him up so soon.

That said I am throwing it out there right now, if he is brought up and played in the bottom 6 and/or doesn't get a lick of PP time with 2 of the top 6 guys out I will be tearing Renney a new ass on here every chance that I get. If that is how they handle this player then they are dumber than dog ****.
Come on BBO, if Eberle and RNH don't go down they don't call up MPS. Hands are tied here, you really have no choice if you are the Oilers.

You really think the plan was to call him up after 10 game? I don't. **** happened.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
You don't get rich by not caring about nearly half a million bucks. Please let me never come close to a business you are involved in.

Brule isn't the make or break players needed to win a Calder Cup. Sorry to say.
Think about what you're saying. You're saying he is saving half a million while at the same time he is throwing half a million away and getting no return on it. You;re using the old, we gotta spend 450k to save 450k type of business model. Hey I guess if your team is at least having fun.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:49 PM
frag2

Quote:

You gotta wonder if they really are tanking now hahaha
PRV has been a blackhole like Belanger/Horcoff

frag2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:50 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Come on BBO, if Eberle and RNH don't go down they don't call up MPS. Hands are tied here, you really have no choice if you are the Oilers.

You really think the plan was to call him up after 10 game? I don't. **** happened.
How are their hands tied? Are you telling me that the only option for a call up is Paajarvi? There are plenty of veteran forwards that could have been called up or even Hartikainen could have been called up and given that same opportunity.
You don't call up a kid with shattered confidence and bounce him all over the lineup and then back to the farm.
Even if he excels in the top 6, he will get demoted when the injured come back so what's the point?

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Koto

Quote:
Umm yeah. Paying 1.8 million and getting something or paying 900k and getting absolutely nothing. Sounds like your proposal is a great ROI.
yeah but when you replace him your paying 900k+60~100K

so you get player X replacing him total cost around 1M, rather than brule at 1.8M

so depending on how you evaluate the players usefulness, as long as the player is 60% as useful as brule, your ROI goes up.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:52 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Schmidt View Post
I understand O'Marra, he deserves a call up. In my mind PRV should stay at OKC until he starts tearing it up. I wonder if they hope someone will take Brule off their hands at a discount. He does not seem to have turned the corner. Whatever happens to Brule, I hope that he turns it around somewhere.
Agreed Gus, to me he needs more development with their minor league club.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post
I can vouch that the Oilers were indeed at the bar, I was there as well. Can't vouch for what they said to Reimer though, as I don't know him.

What impressions did Hall & Horcoff give you? The way you worded it, certainly doesn't sound good.
Basically I just didn't realize that Horcoff and Hall are so buddy buddy. Guess that can be a good thing or bad thing, depending on how you look at it. But if you are someone who wants him as far away from this team as possible and knowing that Katz and Co have a heart-on for Shawn, its another kick in the junk that the teams star player looks up to big Horc on nights out. Again it may be a good thing or a bad thing depending what your feelings are of Horcoff and his captaincy and position on the team here in Edmonton.

Then also personality wise in public Hall kind of caught me off guard. Eberle and Teubert were pretty easing going guys. Hall and Horc kind of seemed too cool for school.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Eytinge

Should have called up Petrell instead of MPS. Makes no sense, he still doesn't have enough confidence is his goal scoring ability. He had one goal down there!

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
yeah but when you replace him your paying 900k+60~100K

so you get player X replacing him total cost around 1M, rather than brule at 1.8M

so depending on how you evaluate the players usefulness, as long as the player is 60% as useful as brule, your ROI goes up.
Yes but we know this team only "replaces" players during the summer.

Old
speeds

Quote:
OMG, you throw tha tout like it's a huge number. Yes to us worker bees, that is a significant amount. To an owner of an NHL team, that is peanuts and probably the amount his toilet paper costs for one wipe.
It's enough money to cover the cost of two quality ahl vets next year

speeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:58 PM
archangel archangel

vCash: 1100
for the brule cap hit

1.87/2 is 900k with only half season left that meas a team only pay .450 for the rest of the season--I saw someone takes a gamble

archangel archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:01 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:

BBO if this does happen as you suggest, doesn't it make you question those that run the organization as well. I truly believe this is the wrong time to bring him up if it isn't I will eat crow.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds View Post
It's enough money to cover the cost of two quality ahl vets next year
Those are two totally separate events. It's not like management would decide to not get two AHL vets next year because they ate another $450k on Brule this year.

Old
01-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Pennertration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Should have called up Petrell instead of MPS. Makes no sense, he still doesn't have enough confidence is his goal scoring ability. He had one goal down there!
I'd like to see Petrell back up too, but are you going to play him top 6? You need a player that can play top 6 due to RNH and Eberle's injuries. In the absence of Omark, Paajarvi makes the most sense.

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

vCash: 50
While Petrell, who is a legitimate NHL player, is in Oklahoma.

I swear Tambellini just does not care anymore, and hasn't for many months already.

Gentle Jake Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Hockey Nightmare
Ex-hockey fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennertration View Post
I'd like to see Petrell back up too, but are you going to play him top 6? You need a player that can play top 6 due to RNH and Eberle's injuries. In the absence of Omark, Paajarvi makes the most sense.
In all fairness, has he been given a chance? I'm under no illusions that he's a top six forward, but why not try him out.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:

Petrell could easily play in the bottom 6, so I'm sorry but that is BS. If Paajarvi plays in the top 6 and gets PP time I will accept this for what it is although I don't like it. If he doesn't, look out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
How are their hands tied? Are you telling me that the only option for a call up is Paajarvi? There are plenty of veteran forwards that could have been called up or even Hartikainen could have been called up and given that same opportunity.
You don't call up a kid with shattered confidence and bounce him all over the lineup and then back to the farm.
Even if he excels in the top 6, he will get demoted when the injured come back so what's the point?
Unless they move Hemsky or we have another injury when those guys get back his spot will be gone.

Petrell could've gotten the call. Their hands weren't tied at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Agreed, it makes no sense, especially if he plays in the bottom 6 with no PP time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola View Post
BBO if this does happen as you suggest, doesn't it make you question those that run the organization as well. I truly believe this is the wrong time to bring him up if it isn't I will eat crow.
It makes me question their coaching hires at the very least.

I also believe that he shouldn't have been called up, in particular if they give him crap minutes and linemates.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:16 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Assumption by your part. And so what if he gets demoted after doing well? The NHL is a numbers game and if we are fully healthy he might have to go back down, not really the end of the world.

Old
01-09-2012, 01:17 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennertration View Post
Bump Jones to the Horc line, problem solved.....

Old
01-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Assumption by your part. And so what if he gets demoted after doing well? The NHL is a numbers game and if we are fully healthy he might have to go back down, not really the end of the world.
Young players confidence is very important, Paajarvi is already fighting it, that could really screw him up. If Hemsky is soon to be moved and Eberle is out for awhile and Paajarvi keeps getting top 6 and PP toi then this move starts to make some sense.

Old
01-09-2012, 01:24 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Young players confidence is very important, Paajarvi is already fighting it, that could really screw him up. If Hemsky is soon to be moved and Eberle is out for awhile and Paajarvi keeps getting top 6 and PP toi then this move starts to make some sense.
I don't think it's the end of the world like most on here seem to think. It's not like he was just down there for 2 games either. Does anyone from the OKC crew have an idea of what his confidence is? Maybe he is backing feeling good?

Old
01-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Quote:
Yup...Hemsky.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote