HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Why Henrik?

Old
01-09-2012, 12:36 PM
matsblue13

vCash: 500
Why Henrik?

Why is Henrik Sedin the captain of the Canucks? This is a genuine question. There is no doubt in my mind that the Sedins are probably the best duo in the NHL and Henrik is for sure a Top 10 or 5 player in the NHL, but my question is why is he the captain? I only watch the Canucks in the playoffs or when the Leafs play them and I see more leadership from guys like Kesler or Bieska. So I was curious as to why he was handed the captaincy, and your take on it? Secondly, I noticed how your fanbase was outraged by the Marchand hit (I also thought it was uncalled for and dirty, especially since it was on a guy like Salo), but I did not see a lot of fans complaining about the lack of grit and aggressiveness the Canucks show in defending their star players. To be honest, it feels horrible when ****heads like Lucic and Marchand get their way with the Sedins. From my own experience, Mats would either defend himself by not necessarily fighting but throwing a crosscheck, slash or some facewashing. Otherwise our Tuckers, Domis would step in. I remember when Mats got leveled by Exelby, even Kaberle tried to get a piece of him. Where is the unity on this Canuck team? Again I'm not trying to be offensive, these are questions out of curiosity. Thanks

matsblue13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:38 PM
VanEric

Why wouldn't Detroit make Holmstrom their captain instead of Lidstrom?

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:41 PM
matsblue13

You don't really answer my question.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:41 PM
thepuckmonster
professional winner

Because he's the one capable of maintaining a cool head during interviews, press conferences and play.

Kesler and Bieksa aren't emotionally mature enough to do the job. However, you don't need to be wearing a C to be a leader on the team. Both Kesler and Bieksa are alternates.

The twins have also been with the team the longest, through all the ups and downs. Henrik gets immense respect from his players.

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:42 PM
matsblue13

That makes sense

Old
01-09-2012, 12:44 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

When we were choosing our captains, Kesler was a big yapper at the time and that's why he wasn't picked captain I believe (Mike Gillis told Kesler and Burrows to stop yapping that summer). And that year, Henrik had a breakout year when Daniel was out and managed to get +100 points. We will never know these things for sure but I'm sure Henrik is a great leader who leads by example on and off the ice and that's why he was chosen as a captain.

And about your second question, it's just our style of hockey. Play in between the whistles and hurt them on the scoreboard and you saw that our strategy worked against the Bruins.

DennisReynolds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:47 PM
GoTeamDom

Because there are no other candidates that make sense. The (long) short list is as follows:

Henrik
Daniel
Kesler
Bieksa
Salo
Malholtra
Luongo

Luongo had just given up the captaincy
Malholtra was just signed in the offseason
Henrik has shown more leadership of the two twins

So that leaves Henrik, Bieksa, Kesler and Salo.
- Salo is the most tenured Canuck but has never been an outspoken person in the media and seemingly in the dressing room.
- Bieksa, while a born and bred Canucks, was a UFA and his future was by no means a lock to remain in Vancouver.

So that leaves Henrik and Kesler as your two options. IMO, and the opinion of many others, Kesler is not mature enough to be the face and leader of this team. No slight on his game because I love the way he plays and the intensity he brings, just as an individual he has a way to go.

To summarize, Henrik was the top choice among a somewhat weak pool of leaders. He's a good captain though, but it's a fair question from an outsider.

GoTeamDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:54 PM
PoolChamp

they made it to the finals last year. I would say he's doing a good job. Better job than Sundin ever did.

PoolChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Proto

I think Kesler would be a terrible captain. Just my opinion.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:57 PM
matsblue13

I'm glad we can have a discussion without shots and unnecessary remarks. Again, I mentioned several times that my questions were out of curiosity and were not meant to be disrespectful. Obviously you did not get the picture. Grow up and learn how to discuss without insulting on a forum.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:59 PM
matsblue13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
they made it to the finals last year. I would say he's doing a good job. Better job than Sundin ever did.
I'm referring to this remark

Old
01-09-2012, 01:01 PM
arsmaster

Calm demeanor...

Kesler comes across whiney, sort of like Joe Thornton or John Toews.

Henrik comes across like a Lidstrom, Sakic type...I like that, a true professional and gentleman.

The days or rah rah Captains are a thing of the past...although I wouldn't mind a Bieksa type personality as captain.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:02 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsblue13 View Post
. From my own experience, Mats would either defend himself by not necessarily fighting but throwing a crosscheck, slash or some facewashing. Otherwise our Tuckers, Domis would step in. I remember when Mats got leveled by Exelby, even Kaberle tried to get a piece of him. Where is the unity on this Canuck team? Again I'm not trying to be offensive, these are questions out of curiosity. Thanks
Different era. We had the same thing in Vancouver when players took liberties with Naslund. Also, Sedins in the past have retaliated as in the Chicago series but that has played into the other teams' strategy and we lost the series.
As for whether we need more grit you'll probably find the fanbase divided. Personally I'd like to see a big third line player who can score and play a physical game added to the team. But there are not many of those available. We'll probbaly have to add a tough fourth liner but the days of having a goon who can't play are over.

At the end of the day we shouldn't try to outgoon the Bruins. The strategy we used on Saturday worked. Play physical and let the Bruins get off their game.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Yammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I think Kesler would be a terrible captain. Just my opinion.
If leading by on-ice example is the key then Kesler as he is now would be the prototype hockey leader.

However, I think that a big job of the lettered players is to talk to the refs. I cannot see Burrows or Kesler or any other agitator getting the time of day from the refs, no matter how many goals they are scoring or their all-around good play these days.

Yammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:06 PM
PoolChamp

Quote:
I'm referring to this remark
i'm just pointing out that in his short time as captain he has already accomplished more than Sundin, even though Sundin "defended" himself.

PoolChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:13 PM
matsblue13

Yeah but this not a Sundin vs. Sedin debate. Sundin led the gold medal team that had players like Lidstorm, Forsberg, the Sedins, Alfie and the list goes on. That's besides the point. I'm trying to gauge how your fanbase feels on the captaincy and lack of "defense"

Old
01-09-2012, 01:13 PM
dsedin

Sedins are the class of the NHL, don't believe everything you hear in the media. As you said they're one of the top players in the NHL and they're obviously the best players on the team on a consistent basis. If you're suggesting he shouldn't be the captain because he can't/doesn't stand up for himself- not every skilled player is of the same mold, Sedins are definately not the type of players to retaliate with dirty antics. For all the punishment they take, they do quite well- Henrik has the most consecutive games played among active players I believe. The only time fans of opposing teams come out of the woodworks to suggest the Sedins shy away from the rough stuff is when you have guys like Marchand and Bolland getting their way with them (most of which is illegal and fails to get called).

Kesler, in my opinion, and many other Canucks feel the same way, is a bit too immature for the role- I don't think it's completely improbable that he can fulfil the role as the captain, but as long as the Sedins are here, it's their team. Bieksa is way too inconsistent with his play, but he's a very important part of the team's leadership group, hence the alternate captaincy designation.

Canucks are a very well knit group of players, you would note this if you watched more Canucks games. As for grit and aggressiveness, it's definately an issue that needs to addressed, and many Canucks fans voice their displeasure for the lack of it. Having said that, the Canucks play a physical game by committee- for instance, they were one of the most physical teams in last years playoffs but were knocked at for lacking grit and agressiveness regardless. I think this has a lot to do with the make-up of the team than anything else- four lines that can play hockey.

dsedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:14 PM
matsblue13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsedin View Post
Sedins are the class of the NHL, don't believe everything you hear in the media. As you said they're one of the top players in the NHL and they're obviously the best players on the team on a consistent basis. If you're suggesting he shouldn't be the captain because he can't/doesn't stand up for himself- not every skilled player is of the same mold, Sedins are definately not the type of players to retaliate with dirty antics. For all the punishment they take, they do quite well- Henrik has the most consecutive played among active players I believe. The only time fans of opposing teams come out of the woodworks to suggest the Sedins shy away from the rough stuff is when you have guys like Marchand and Bolland getting their way with them (most of which is illegal and fails to get called).

Kesler, in my opinion, and many other Canucks feel the same way, is a bit too immature for the role- I don't think it's completely improbable that he can fulfil the role as the captain, but as long as the Sedins are here, it's their team. Bieksa is way too inconsistent with his play, but he's a very important part of the team's leadership group, hence the alternate captaincy designation.

Canucks are a very well knit group of players, you would note this if you watched more Canucks games. As for grit and aggressiveness, it's definately an issue that needs to addressed, and many Canucks fans voice their displeasure for the lack of it. Having said that, the Canucks play a physical game by committee- for instance, they were one of the most physical teams in last years playoffs but were knocked at for lacking grit and agressiveness regardless. I think this has a lot to do with the make-up of the team than anything else- four lines that can play hockey.
I am now enlightened. Well done

Old
01-09-2012, 01:20 PM
silvercanuck

The Sedins don't get any respect in the media and I believe part of the reason why the Canucks have this soft image is because Henrik is captain. I'm not bothered by the fact he is capt but that is the perception. It's a very non-subtle case of European prejudice by good Canadian boys. Did anyone happen to see where the Sedins were on the all star voting list? Pretty shameful for two of the top players in the league.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:01 PM
serge2k
HFBoards Sponsor

because hes a nice interim priorr to hodgson :p

serge2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:17 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsedin View Post
Good post. People only remember the finals. The Canucks significantly outhit the Hawks and Sharks. They don't have a real tough guy but Torres, Lapierre, Hansen, Kesler, Burrows, Higgins, etc and all of the defence were hitting everything that moved. We even held our own for the first couple of games of the finals. Then the wear and tear and injuries seemed to catch up with the Canucks.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:19 PM
droller*

Quote:
Why is Henrik Sedin the captain of the Canucks? This is a genuine question. There is no doubt in my mind that the Sedins are probably the best duo in the NHL and Henrik is for sure a Top 10 or 5 player in the NHL, but my question is why is he the captain? I only watch the Canucks in the playoffs or when the Leafs play them and I see more leadership from guys like Kesler or Bieska. So I was curious as to why he was handed the captaincy, and your take on it? Secondly, I noticed how your fanbase was outraged by the Marchand hit (I also thought it was uncalled for and dirty, especially since it was on a guy like Salo), but I did not see a lot of fans complaining about the lack of grit and aggressiveness the Canucks show in defending their star players. To be honest, it feels horrible when ****heads like Lucic and Marchand get their way with the Sedins. From my own experience, Mats would either defend himself by not necessarily fighting but throwing a crosscheck, slash or some facewashing. Otherwise our Tuckers, Domis would step in. I remember when Mats got leveled by Exelby, even Kaberle tried to get a piece of him. Where is the unity on this Canuck team? Again I'm not trying to be offensive, these are questions out of curiosity. Thanks
Every single team in the NHL thinks they can beat us by "testing our toughness." Night in and night out there are morons running around trying to take heads off our players. Between whistles we are in countless battles as that is the "way to beat us." We don't take **** from anybody.

Why do you think every dirty play in hockey requires a meat head reaction? If you wanna survive you gotta learn to pick your spots. It's like that with anything in life. What you suggest is that our whole #1 power play drop the gloves and be physically over matched against the NHL thug unit BEFORE a 5 minute power play? So we should just play right into their game plan right?

Sorry but I'm really getting sick and tired of people that don't watch many Canucks game question our toughness. I think this all comes down to the Canucks not capitalizing on the power play against the Bruins in the SCF. Our PP went into a funk and our "team toughness" has been questioned ever since.

Henrik is our captain because he conducts himself in a very professional manner. He is a level headed logical thinker that won't make decisions based on knee jerk reactions. Kesler and KB are good team leaders, but not someone you want representing "your team." If either one of those guys wore the C I think their attitude and approach to hockey wouldn't be the same plays on and off the ice (they both like to joke, have a good time and carry some swagger in their step).

droller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:22 PM
arsmaster

The difference between Henrik defending himself and say a guy like Mats Sundin....look at their size:

Henrik 6'2" 190lbs - Mats Sundin 6'5" 235lbs, of course one is going to have more strength.

Joe Sakic and Nik Lidstrom never had to fight other teams tough guys.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:22 PM
m9

For me when I've played any sport, the captain needs to be a) someone committed to the team and b) someone that can transcend cliques or circles in the dressing room. On any team guys will have their closest group of friends, but the captain should be a guy who is a leader because he is respected by everyone in that room, regardless of what he shows on the ice. On an NHL team, I would add c) Represents the team well off the ice and in the community.

Henrik has been here for awhile, and has a long-term contract. It is safe to say he has the commitment thing in place. We can also see that he represents the team well in the community. Since I don't know the dynamics inside the Canucks room, I assume he has the other part down too and galvanizes the locker room, which is why he is captain.

For the record I also think Luongo would be a great captain, he just plays the wrong position. I can see why Gillis tried it, but I'm glad the switch was made.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:28 PM
serge2k
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
The difference between Henrik defending himself and say a guy like Mats Sundin....look at their size:

Henrik 6'2" 190lbs - Mats Sundin 6'5" 235lbs, of course one is going to have more strength.

Joe Sakic and Nik Lidstrom never had to fight other teams tough guys.
no, buy a guy.like marchand i wouldnt mind seeing sedin fight. i dont demnd it, or even really think its a great idea. but it might have benefits.

on the other hand, marchand loses and sedin is a coward who beats up small guys. loses and is a weak loser who gets beat up by small guys.

but its marchand, he probably goes and hides behind lucic at which point we laugh at him for running away from sedin.

serge2k is online now   Reply With Quote