HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

NHL trade deadline

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2012, 11:36 PM
maplepred

vCash: 500
NHL trade deadline

First question is when is the deadline??

Second is,
What do you think happens with our organization come deadline time?? With guys like getzlaf, Ryan, Roy, Nash, hemsky, and iginla on the market (and we could certainly use any one of them and they would instantly be our most offensive forward)

Not to mention the fact that Ryan suter is a UFA at seasons end and if we do not trade him at deadline then we better be able to re sign him or he will depart a la hamhuis.

So what will Poile do in regards to everything come deadline day?? Whenever that is I'm assuming in February...

Old
01-08-2012, 11:45 PM
Broom of the System

Feb. 27th. We'll add a cheap D-man and an ok forward, maybe AK46 if Montreal can't turn things around. Wont trade Suter or Weber.

Everyone expecting or hoping for a big time trade will be disappointed.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:02 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
First question is when is the deadline??

Second is,
What do you think happens with our organization come deadline time?? With guys like getzlaf, Ryan, Roy, Nash, hemsky, and iginla on the market (and we could certainly use any one of them and they would instantly be our most offensive forward)

Not to mention the fact that Ryan suter is a UFA at seasons end and if we do not trade him at deadline then we better be able to re sign him or he will depart a la hamhuis.

So what will Poile do in regards to everything come deadline day?? Whenever that is I'm assuming in February...
IMO we have Suter and Weber signed before the deadline.

We trade for a decent defenseman at the cost of a pick and/or prospect.

we will try to land an elite forward. Whether we get one depends on who is truly available and how high the bidding goes. I think if Poile can land Ryan, Parise, or someone similar, he will make every effort short of complete stupidity to do it.

the wild card is Radulov. If the rumored plan that would bring Rads back for the last two months of the season to satisfy his ELC in exchange for a mulltiyear extension is actually a possibility, then Poile might not have to sell the farm to upgrade the offense after all...

Old
01-09-2012, 06:24 AM
deanwormer

Relative to the idea of Radu coming back as a "rental" - I thought if a player came back from another league like that they had to pass through waivers?

As for the idea we get another F, I think the problem is gonna' be teams that we're already behind - like Chic and Det - are gonna' be in the market as well, and while we may have the prospects to give it's gonna' drive the market silly just like with FA when they have cap room.

Old
01-09-2012, 07:08 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
Relative to the idea of Radu coming back as a "rental" - I thought if a player came back from another league like that they had to pass through waivers?

As for the idea we get another F, I think the problem is gonna' be teams that we're already behind - like Chic and Det - are gonna' be in the market as well, and while we may have the prospects to give it's gonna' drive the market silly just like with FA when they have cap room.
They only have to pass thru waivers if a team signs them if they're a free agent. Since Radulov is still under contract with us, he won't have to pass thru waivers. I also don't think after everything we've been thru with Rads that any team would do that to us if he had to pass thru waivers. Kind of a common courtesy thing. It doesn't matter regardless so none of us have to worry.

Old
01-09-2012, 07:38 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
They only have to pass thru waivers if a team signs them if they're a free agent. Since Radulov is still under contract with us, he won't have to pass thru waivers. I also don't think after everything we've been thru with Rads that any team would do that to us if he had to pass thru waivers. Kind of a common courtesy thing. It doesn't matter regardless so none of us have to worry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post

If Rads tries to come back we get an experiment in CBA-ology. One section says he remains Preds property for bailing on us and the resulting suspension ... another says that any player coming to the NHL after playing in European league after the start of the regular season must clear waivers unless he was on loan, which Rads is not. It could get very interesting, very fast.

Old
01-09-2012, 08:32 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
If Rads tries to come back we get an experiment in CBA-ology. One section says he remains Preds property for bailing on us and the resulting suspension ... another says that any player coming to the NHL after playing in European league after the start of the regular season must clear waivers unless he was on loan, which Rads is not. It could get very interesting, very fast.
I am willing to bet you a large bottle of your preferred beverage that rads will be allowed to come back without waivers.

the reason is the intent of the rule is to keep teams from circumventing the cap by "hiding' a player in europe for part of the season and then bringing them back for the playoffs or a late season push.

Preds wont be punished when they didnt do anything wrong.

Old
01-09-2012, 08:44 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

We have never made a "big" trade at the deadline. The closest was Brendan Witt for a 1st in 2006 and Kris Beech, or maybe Sergei Zholtok and Brad Bombardir for a 3rd and 4th. If we're going to make a real move, Poile typically likes to do it ahead of the deadline, when he thinks prices get too high.

Key time will be February 10-17. That seems to be his active time.

Old
01-09-2012, 08:54 AM
Legionnaire11

A week or so ahead is still basically a "deadline" deal.

I'd call Forsberg a "big" deal

edit: I also believe we're looking for another Bombardier - Zholtok type of deal. A vet d-man and reliable depth scoring.

Old
01-09-2012, 08:58 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I am willing to bet you a large bottle of your preferred beverage that rads will be allowed to come back without waivers.

the reason is the intent of the rule is to keep teams from circumventing the cap by "hiding' a player in europe for part of the season and then bringing them back for the playoffs or a late season push.

Preds wont be punished when they didnt do anything wrong.
All it takes is one team wanting a scorer cheap or Don Fehr to raise a stink .... which is why this could get very interesting if Rads does choose to return this season. The wording is clear and there isn't a Radulov provision. If the league has a workaround on this one, great, but it has all of the potential to get ugly.

Quote:
In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim.

Old
01-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Legionnaire11

Well, since he's already under contract. Couldn't the Preds just place him "on loan" and then call him back?

Old
01-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I think we resign both suter/weber, deal for a 4th d-man, and trade for a scoring forward. I wouldn't be surprised to see lindback, roster forward like hornqvist, and one of Blum/Ellis all could be moved. Possibly ekholm instead of the other two. Would love to see getzlaf or parise.

Old
01-09-2012, 09:09 AM
maplepred

What do you think ducks would want for Ryan from us?

Or sabres for Roy?

Old
01-09-2012, 09:20 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
A week or so ahead is still basically a "deadline" deal.

I'd call Forsberg a "big" deal

edit: I also believe we're looking for another Bombardier - Zholtok type of deal. A vet d-man and reliable depth scoring.
Forsberg was February 15th that year. At that point, the deadline was still the second week in March. It's only recently been pushed back to late February.

Old
01-09-2012, 09:21 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:

Or sabres for Roy?
While I'm sure we'd all love to see a deal centered around Blum, I fear Ellis will be the one teams will want, and I think if you get a guy that's not a rental--like Ryan-- you have to do it.

Old
01-09-2012, 09:25 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
All it takes is one team wanting a scorer cheap or Don Fehr to raise a stink .... which is why this could get very interesting if Rads does choose to return this season. The wording is clear and there isn't a Radulov provision. If the league has a workaround on this one, great, but it has all of the potential to get ugly.
when this issue last arose, and it might have been on the main board, someone pointed out that there was a seperate provision in the CBA for AWOL players that would seem more applicable.

Im not sure that Fehr or anyone else would have any recourse... this seems pretty clearcut to be an NHL league office type decision.

Old
01-09-2012, 09:46 AM
jstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom of the System View Post
Everyone expecting or hoping for a big time trade will be disappointed.
That usually about sums it up. Unless Weber/Suter isnt signed by then, hold on to your seats.

Old
01-09-2012, 10:05 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

Quote:

Or sabres for Roy?
I have said on the trade board that it would likely take wilson + one of blum/ellis/josi + one of halischuk or spaling. We get elite talent, they get depth at several spots

Old
01-09-2012, 10:42 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
when this issue last arose, and it might have been on the main board, someone pointed out that there was a seperate provision in the CBA for AWOL players that would seem more applicable.

Im not sure that Fehr or anyone else would have any recourse... this seems pretty clearcut to be an NHL league office type decision.
What they pointed out is the provision that allows us to suspend him and retain his rights. Nothing in the CBA says how the two interact.

Quote:
In the event a Player ceases to render his playing services called for under his SPC (except as a result of injury, illness or disability) during such period that he is in the Entry Level System, then during such non-playing period, the Player's number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period equal to the remaining unfulfilled portion of his SPC.
Quote:
In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim.
The interaction of these two sections, along with Ufa's performance, all come into play if Radulov becomes our "trade deadline" deal.

It's still a bit early to guess who we target since very few teams have gone into rebuild/sell mode. Anaheim says everyone but two are available, but, I doubt they move more than one or two. The Oil and Isles have a ton of young talent that they probably hold on to. Carolina and Calgary have a few physical d-men that would look good on our second pair.

Old
01-09-2012, 10:48 AM
headsigh
leave at once!

Bobby Ryan for one million dollars

Old
01-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

It's interesting to me that Trotz/ownership has come out and said we will be close to a cap team next year, while we are currently the lowest spending team in the entire league. We are also well below what we normally spend. So either Poile is trying to get one more cheap year in, or we will be big spenders this deadline.

Old
01-09-2012, 01:03 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
well, additional $3 million on Peks's contract.. additional $4 million on Suter likely... plus you've got to re-sign others (tootoo, wilson, etc) just keeping what's here will be part of the equation.

Old
01-09-2012, 01:06 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeyh View Post
well, additional $3 million on Peks's contract.. additional $4 million on Suter likely... plus you've got to re-sign others (tootoo, wilson, etc) just keeping what's here will be part of the equation.
Yeah but that has nothing to do with this year

Old
01-09-2012, 01:21 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I think Codey is right. A big part of the whole "we will be spending to or close to the cap next year" thing likely has to do with the assumption that we will be signing Weber and Suter to big contracts and then giving raises to players like Wilson, Tootoo (likely), possibly Lindback, etc.

Of course, that does not rule out the possibility of spending big at the deadline.

Old
01-09-2012, 01:28 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I think Codey is right. A big part of the whole "we will be spending to or close to the cap next year" thing likely has to do with the assumption that we will be signing Weber and Suter to big contracts and then giving raises to players like Wilson, Tootoo (likely), possibly Lindback, etc.

Of course, that does not rule out the possibility of spending big at the deadline.
we will have to do a lot more than give raises to the current players to approach the cap, especially if the cap goes up another 3-4 million like it has every year.

Suter, Rinne, Wilson and Tootoo get maybe a combined 9-10 million more next year. If we are near the floor now, 10 mil gets us to the midpoint, not the cap....

Closed Thread