HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobby Ryan from Anaheim (Jim Matheson, Edmonton Journal)

Old
01-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I think bobby Ryan looks amazing when in reality he is just good. He plays with Getzlaf and Perry and still managed to have a pretty long scoring drought this season iirc. If a scoring forward doesn't look good on that line it's because they suck.

I'll keep JVR, who I think is going to find the consistency we are all hoping for. Salary is also an issue. Ryan makes 5+ mill/year. Do we really need our salary structure getting even more top heavy?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:04 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Schenn is finally starting to come around as well. It looks like he's over his injuries and he's starting to click in the environment around him. I think we're just beginning to see what Schenn can do. If he really comes on strong (say 15 points over the next 20 games), then he's going nowhere.

I like Bobby Ryan, but he's not a need right now. The forward group in Philadelphia is very good and very deep right now. The fact that Sean Couturier has only been getting marginal minutes of ice time per night and is probably the best defensive forward on the squad is evident of just how deep the group up front is. What the Flyers really need is for JVR to get his hip operated on and to add a top four defender to the club without pillaging most of it's assets.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Appleyard

He is a great player... almost guaranteed 30 goals per year, 65-70 points per year. But I do think people may be slightly overvaluing him due to his flyers ties, heck, I don't blame you all, when I found out in 2000 that Mike Richter was a big flyers fan when younger I wanted him at all costs, even though he was old and play starting to dip by then.

And when Tangradi was in the draft in 07 I was so pissed off that we drafted Marshall 1 place ahead of him as he was a massive flyers fan.

I'd go JVR+ prospect or pick for Ryan, maybe JVR, prospect and pick. But if we gave any more I could see JVR getting 70 points per year, with Ryan maybe getting 75-80, for an extra 5-10 points a year, and we would lose depth or D with another roster player on top of JVR. That would probably come back and bite us.

I love Ryan, sign him on every game I play, want him here badly, almost too much, but I wouldn't want to rush into it based on sentimentality when there are greater needs.

If JVR + Cousins/Ranford + 2nd gets Ryan... Done in a heartbeat, but any more... no for now.

When they were both first year players (both aged 20-21) Ryan had 10 points in 23, JVR had 35 in 78, pretty similar pace. In Ryan's third year he got 64 points (0.79 ppg), JVR is heading for 0.62 ppg this year while obviously playing hurt for a while.

Yes, Ryan is better, and will probably always be. But not that much better we should give up a lot for him, especially since we don't need him.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:09 PM
bauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Do you really expect Schenn to become a 70 pt Center in2-3 years?
I think that is alot considerding the fact that he will be playing at most on 2nd line.

Considering Giroux scores at a PPG we would have two centers at or above 70 pt's a game?

Ill say this. Schenn is valuable to us for a variety of reasons, including a cheaper contract and a more valuable position. But none of us have seen anything from him at the NHL level to conclude him being better than Ryan in 2-3 years.
yes i do. Mike Richards hit 70 points in his 3rd year, and Schenn's upside is higher than what Richards was when he was drafted. why is it hard to imagine having two centers score more than 70 points? we had Richards and Carter do it a few times. and last year Giroux was over 70 and Briere had 68.

it's not like Ryan hits 70 points every year either. he had one really good year last year. other than that he's been pretty much a 60 point player. i definitely think Schenn will be at or above that in 2-3 years time.

bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer View Post
yes i do. Mike Richards hit 70 points in his 3rd year, and Schenn's upside is higher than what Richards was when he was drafted. why is it hard to imagine having two centers score more than 70 points? we had Richards and Carter do it a few times. and last year Giroux was over 70 and Briere had 68.

it's not like Ryan hits 70 points every year either. he had one really good year last year. other than that he's been pretty much a 60 point player. i definitely think Schenn will be at or above that in 2-3 years time.
Kesler and Henrik Sedin, Crosby and Malkin, Zetterberg and Datsyuk, Ribero and Richards and a few more im missing for sure.

Our team is the second highest team in the league so i don't know why he thinks its so hard for it to happen

Left Circle OneTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 11:42 PM
3Fs

I would so love having Bobby on team, but we need to stop the scoring. Us scoring is not the problem, but the same dam stopping the puck issues we have had forever.

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 08:11 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Say what you want, but JVR has a combination of size, speed and skill that makes defensemen have nightmares.

I'm not saying JVR necessarily has a better skill-set than Ryan, but to say that it's Ryan hands down is just not a claim that anyone can make at this point in time.

Ryan right now is the better player, but we're talking skill-set and potential. Right now doesn't mean **** in an argument about future.
JVR: 6'3 - 200lbs
Bobby Ryan: 6'2 - 209lbs

Oh so much of a difference.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 08:25 AM
kimmofan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Fs View Post
I would so love having Bobby on team, but we need to stop the scoring. Us scoring is not the problem, but the same dam stopping the puck issues we have had forever.
the problem is finding a team that is so far out of the playoffs with a grade a killer defensman they would unload. nashville is still in the hunt so weber suter might not materialize till after the playoffs. bowmeenster makes huge bank though you may be able to pry him away from calgary since he's not having the best year.

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:51 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Changed my mind... would trade Voracek+ for Ryan.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Kaktus*

Ryan is better than JVR or Voracek.

JVR is just soft.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
Changed my mind... would trade Voracek+ for Ryan.
There is just something about Voracek that makes me think the Flyers will keep him. I have a feeling that he will be a stud soon. He is showing glimpses of it already this year, but i'm thinking next year the guy is gonna be a 60-70 point player. I actually hope we lock him up long term after the year. Something around 3 or 4 years 11 million or 14 million.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:42 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
There is just something about Voracek that makes me think the Flyers will keep him. I have a feeling that he will be a stud soon. He is showing glimpses of it already this year, but i'm thinking next year the guy is gonna be a 60-70 point player. I actually hope we lock him up long term after the year. Something around 3 or 4 years 11 million or 14 million.
I like Voracek and I think he will be a good fit here. But I'd rather have Bobby Ryan. Voracek and picks or prospects would be ok with me. I think they'd want more though (i.e. Schenn/JvR).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I like Voracek and I think he will be a good fit here. But I'd rather have Bobby Ryan. Voracek and picks or prospects would be ok with me. I think they'd want more though (i.e. Schenn/JvR).
Yea I would love to get Bobby Ryan for Voracek. I just wouldnt want to give up too much more after that. If we had Ryan and keep Schenn and Jvr, I still think the masses around here will hate Homer. It most likely won't happen without JVR going the other way.

I was just saying there isn't something about Voracek that I really like, and hope he stays here. If the right deal came around then I would be fine to deal him

Old
01-09-2012, 12:48 PM
FlyerGuy18

I think Ryan will eventually play for the Flyers, but not until the tail end of his career

FlyerGuy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:50 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

I really, REALLY doubt the Flyers are looking at Ryan, when the need is blatantly in the D-corps.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
I really, REALLY doubt the Flyers are looking at Ryan, when the need is blatantly in the D-corps.
Maybe they are looking to get a package of Ryan and Beauchemin? It is a possibility I think. Any GM will say if there is an opportunity to improve his team no matter what position the player plays, they have to look into it

Old
01-09-2012, 01:00 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Maybe they are looking to get a package of Ryan and Beauchemin? It is a possibility I think. Any GM will say if there is an opportunity to improve his team no matter what position the player plays, they have to look into it
I know that whole "best player wins the deal," but I don't think Ryan is so absurdly better than JVR, and I think JVR + Schenn > Ryan. Also Coburn and Beach are a wash to me (could be very off here, not sure), so even if it takes JVR, Schenn and Coburn for both, which is probably unlikely, I don't think it's worth it.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
I know that whole "best player wins the deal," but I don't think Ryan is so absurdly better than JVR, and I think JVR + Schenn > Ryan. Also Coburn and Beach are a wash to me (could be very off here, not sure), so even if it takes JVR, Schenn and Coburn for both, which is probably unlikely, I don't think it's worth it.
Beach>>>Coburn

It surely wouldnt take that much to get hem both tho especially considerng Beach's age

Left Circle OneTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:14 PM
cheesesteak

Why do people want to keep JVR over Voracek? I feel like Voracek has been good most of the year, and seems to have a more complete package compared to JVR. Voracek looks like playoff JVR on a more consistent basis IMO. I want to keep them both though, make a move for someone like Gleason where you don't trade any roster players, and hope we can land Suter this offseason. If they don't land Suter then they can make a bigger trade, but wait to see what happens with Suter.

cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:51 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Circle OneTimer View Post
Beach>>>Coburn

It surely wouldnt take that much to get hem both tho especially considerng Beach's age
his age? he's only 31. that's still pretty close to prime for defensemen, IMO

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:57 PM
whskybarJM

as much as I would like the flyers to magically come up with a 40+goal john leclair type player.....

Defense... the flyers do not scare anyone with their defense

whskybarJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Prongo
Beer

When looking at the trade thread on the main board I have a feeling that many Ducks fans are gonna be dissappointed if Ryan is traded. They are thinking they are gonna get a severe over payment.

That team really needs a big time shake-up. To go from where they were last year to how they are playing. They need a change and the coach already lost his job. I could see a package of Voracek and a 1st coming close to what they want for Ryan. I just don't think they will get an offer that blows them out of the water.

I don't see them really moving Getzlaf.... #1 centers that can pot 90 points are extremely rare. They would make a major mistake in trading him I think.

Old
01-09-2012, 02:05 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
When looking at the trade thread on the main board I have a feeling that many Ducks fans are gonna be dissappointed if Ryan is traded. They are thinking they are gonna get a severe over payment.

That team really needs a big time shake-up. To go from where they were last year to how they are playing. They need a change and the coach already lost his job. I could see a package of Voracek and a 1st coming close to what they want for Ryan. I just don't think they will get an offer that blows them out of the water.
i love bobby ryan.

but this would be a trade the flyers cannot afford to make. we are scoring fine. we need that 1st round pick to either pick a defenseman in the 1st round, or trade in a package for a top pairing defenseman. anything other than that at this point would be a horrible mistake IMO.

take that voracek and a 1st deal and make it a starting point for a trade for shea weber.

we do not need bobby ryan.

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
i love bobby ryan.

but this would be a trade the flyers cannot afford to make. we are scoring fine. we need that 1st round pick to either pick a defenseman in the 1st round, or trade in a package for a top pairing defenseman. anything other than that at this point would be a horrible mistake IMO.

take that voracek and a 1st deal and make it a starting point for a trade for shea weber.

we do not need bobby ryan.
As much as I would like to have Weber, he isn't moving. They are in the middle of the playoff pack right now. I could see Weber moving at the draft or sometime before that, but not until the season is over.

Old
01-09-2012, 02:12 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
As much as I would like to have Weber, he isn't moving. They are in the middle of the playoff pack right now. I could see Weber moving at the draft or sometime before that, but not until the season is over.
Which is why I say bite the bullet this season, pray Pronger is back for the playoffs however unlikely that may be, and explore our options once the dust settles.

If Bryz or Bob gets hot we have the offense and defensive unit to compete with and beat anyone. While we don't have the defense to force ourselves to a championship at the moment, we're definitely top 10 in the NHL.

Let's ride it and see where it takes us without anymore drastic decisions.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote