HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Expectations Time Warp Please

Old
01-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Iamok
#Panic

vCash: 500
Play hard and give a full 60/65 minute effort. That's pretty much all I want.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 07:16 PM
utah

If you'd ask me at the start of the season if I thought that the Senators would be sitting ahead of:

New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Washington, Buffalo, Montreal, and Tampa ... 43 games into the season, I doubt that I would have said yes.

The kids are a lot of fun to watch, and the vets are all stepping it up as well. They seem to play hard for each other.....and their joyful exuberance when they celebrate wins ( like today ) is fun to bask in as a fan.

Compared to having to watch Kovalev suck the life out of a hockey game.....this is like being in Hockey nirvana!

But, all that said....yes, fan expectations need to be managed and there is still a lot of hockey left to play.

utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 07:30 PM
West Coast Eagles
Classless

I was absolutely one of those that predicted a bottom 5 finish this season so colour me tickled pink. We are right in the race but a key injury could cripple our chances but i'll cross that bridge when/if we come to it.

Hypothetically if we do make it, please not Boston in the first round.

West Coast Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 08:28 PM
ShotDownCrosby

I will admit I could re-evaluate my predictions a bit from the beginning, but I still wouldn't be shocked to see them miss the playoffs but I would be less shocked to see them make it.

The one thing that shocks me the most this year is the fact we've been winning without stellar goaltending alot of the time, and with being down a lot of the games.

Regardless of where we end up, I am very proud of this team! And cannot wait until their rookie mistakes become minimal!

ShotDownCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

I actually predicted(albeit optimistically) we'd be fighting for the 7th-8th spot all year, as well as Karlsson having a 60-65 point season.

My expectations thus far have been exceded.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 07:06 AM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Right now, I put us at about a coin toss to make the playoffs. We've got a lot of lucky wins this year and there's a lotta season left. Could easily go either way.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 08:52 AM
Lenny the Lynx

Even though its hard not to believe more and more in this team - its good that people can keep a level head.

I would hate to see people start to show the sense of entitlement that some other fanbases have, like we deserve to be in the playoffs or something.

For example: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1074681

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:49 AM
topshelf15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spensar View Post
Awesome! I thought with the long off season layoff most of the vets would be a heck of a lot better than last year, but thought a playoff spot was a challenge with so much young depth. Enjoying this stress free season.
I think ottawa will suffer a worse season next season,when the weight of expectation and sophmore jinxes take hold .Add to this we will probably be an even younger team i can easily see us ending up bottom 5 ,the following season will be the one for me. They will no longer be the youthful inexperienced team that does things without thinking or succumbing to pressure,but instead be a battle hardened young team with the drive to succeed

topshelf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:25 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

I thought they would be somewhere between 8th to 12th fighting for a playoff spot right to the end. Still a lot of hockey to play & anything can happen but so far they are having a unexpected great season. I love it that they never quit & don't get pushed around any more. They play a very entertaining style & ratch it up in the 3rd.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:00 PM
ShotDownCrosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf15 View Post
I think ottawa will suffer a worse season next season,when the weight of expectation and sophmore jinxes take hold .Add to this we will probably be an even younger team i can easily see us ending up bottom 5 ,the following season will be the one for me. They will no longer be the youthful inexperienced team that does things without thinking or succumbing to pressure,but instead be a battle hardened young team with the drive to succeed
I do agree with this, but since I have already been surprised this season, I wouldn't be too shocked if they played well next year. I think it will be a typical year like this year again (rookie mistakes and some speed and fight at other times). I just want us to keep playing exciting hockey that we have regardless of if we win or lose. (alot of the credit there goes to maclean)

ShotDownCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:22 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
Even though its hard not to believe more and more in this team - its good that people can keep a level head.

I would hate to see people start to show the sense of entitlement that some other fanbases have, like we deserve to be in the playoffs or something.

For example: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1074681
This isn't about a sense of entitlement. When the season started I knew our team was a little deeper then in looked. When we talked about playoffs, I said, Karlsson will be better, Cowen will add something to the blue line, Spezza will be better. Also figured Alfredsson would be a bit better after surgery. Alfie is already past his entire season totals for last year. Didn't realize Kuba, Gonchar, Smith and Michalek would all improve. That is a lot of change over one season.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote