HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New York Rangers have the look of a champion

Old
01-09-2012, 01:11 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
New York Rangers have the look of a champion

Kevin Allen of USA Today

Ten reasons why the New York Rangers could indeed win the Stanley Cup championship next June:

Quote:
1. No re-assembly required: The Rangers are already playing that gritty, shot-blocking, defensive-minded style that is necessary to be successful in the postseason. New York is second in goals against and hits, and fourth in blocked shots.

2. Swede smell of success: Goalie Henrik Lundqvist seems to own that aura of invincibility and confidence that Martin Brodeur had in his best years. Lundqvist looks as if he has earned his master's in goaltending.

3. Torts Law: Did you watch John Tortorella command this team on the memorable HBO 24/7 series? If you did, then you understand Tortorella's intensity is volcanic and his will-to-win is scary. Bruce Boudreau looked loveable when he was stringing together profanities last year on HBO. Tortorella seemed frightening when he did the same this year. Regardless of whether you like his style, there is no denying the success he has had using that style. Tortorella bullies and inspires the Rangers into being a better team than they really are.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...ook/52467590/1

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:25 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Good read, and it certainly highlights some of the many strengths of this team.

The one thing I have to nitpick is the author saying that Torts "bullies" players. If anything, I think 24/7 showed that this is a common misconception about Torts. He struck me as being very supportive of his players, while also being honest with them about what needed to be done better. When the team is bad he yelled at them. Is that really "bullying" in a situation where the team is playing badly?

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:25 PM
js10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Kevin Allen of USA Today

Ten reasons why the New York Rangers could indeed win the Stanley Cup championship next June:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...ook/52467590/1
wins bring more and more attention.. January 21 can't come sooner..

js10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Levitate

Still a lot of hockey left to play before the playoffs, not ready to think they're on easy street yet

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:29 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Way too early for talk like this.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:30 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by js10 View Post
wins bring more and more attention.. January 21 can't come sooner..
im with you on that buddy, i have been thinking about 1/21 since mid december. i liked lozos piece on the rangers last week with his 8 reasons. good article here too.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:36 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
The one thing I have to nitpick is the author saying that Torts "bullies" players. If anything, I think 24/7 showed that this is a common misconception about Torts. He struck me as being very supportive of his players, while also being honest with them about what needed to be done better. When the team is bad he yelled at them. Is that really "bullying" in a situation where the team is playing badly?
He's tough, but some solid players followed him here eagerly. Prospal, Feds, Richards. All guys who share that same will to battle and do all the little things on and off the ice. The young guys on this team are getting molded into a ridiculously good team, and those vets are showing them that Torts is a good coach and his systems and philosophies are bona fide, or else they wouldn't be here. I really think Richards signing here kicked everybody's belief in Torts up 5 notches. It was cool when Prospal signed here and said Torts was a ******* to him in TB but he made him a better player, his best. Feds too. Richards is a whole never level because he's not playing for 1mill/1year. He took less money to come play for the Rangers and Torts has a lot to do with that... he believes he can win here. He refused to waive his NMC last year in fear that the Rangers would get anxious and trade a good piece away for him at the deadline. He's a smart guy. I think everybody is on board and this train be rollin... got to stay healthy. And we have to hope the youth on this team don't burn out before April/May/June. Still alot of young guys on that blueline.

01-09-2012, 01:37 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Torts won't let them become complacent

Torts threw the players off the ice in practice today because he didn't like their lack of focus so he sent them to the locker room and marched them back out

Quote:
“I figured we’d start again,” Tortorella said of practice. “It’s human nature when you’re finding ways to win some games, it’s human nature to forget some details. Before practice, we spent 35 minutes looking at how poorly we played at Pittsburgh with the details.

“It has to be sustained in the room,” Tortorella added of the leadership group. “I trust this group. I just don’t want it to slip. We have so much more work to do with this club. I just don’t want to get ahead of ourselves. We’re heading down the right road. I want to make sure we keep heading down the right road and not detour.”
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...n_on_practice/

That would have made a great 24/7 segment.

Quote:
On taking team off the ice at start of practice then starting over Torts says "I figured we'd start over...they practiced well afterwards"
https://twitter.com/#!/thenyrangers/...42477010763776

Old
01-09-2012, 01:40 PM
GloveSave35

Good read. But I agree... maybe too early for this talk. The Rangers tend to start strong and lose focus as the season goes on. Love to see Torts pushing the guys to hold that focus.

GloveSave35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:40 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
It's only "too early" if you're a Rangers fan though, because no one wants to get their hopes up and be disappointed... However to outside observers, this article is spot on.

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:41 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Torts treats everyone the same. He plays no favorites. He's tough but fair.

Old
01-09-2012, 01:53 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Letīs agree to disagree here. But his results so far this year are impressive ... I must admit

BBKers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:54 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Good read, and it certainly highlights some of the many strengths of this team.

Totally agree. I don't think he was "bullying" the team at all. I still loved that one part in the third episode of 24/7 when Torts and Cally we're discussing a play, and you could see how much Torts appreciated what Callahan was saying, and even smiling and enthusiastically telling him, "I'll go look at the tape right now!" and then running into the next room like a kid going to open gifts on Christmas day. I just thought it was a really nice moment between player and coach.

If anything, the way Torts is running this team, is very similar to what Herb Brooks did with the US Olympic team in 1980. He's assembled a team better then the sum of it's parts, with a emphasis on extreme conditioning and hard work, all with an eye on a common goal: a championship.

I can't freaking wait for the playoffs. The hell with Boston on the 21st, I want April, and I want it now.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
im with you on that buddy, i have been thinking about 1/21 since mid december. i liked lozos piece on the rangers last week with his 8 reasons. good article here too.

what's January 21st?

Ave Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:05 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by o 16 Avery NYR o View Post
what's January 21st?
First game versus Boston. Obviously a big test for this team.

Old
01-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

I wish folks would stop writing articles like this... much rather fly in under the radar lol

Riche16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
I wish folks would stop writing articles like this... much rather fly in under the radar lol
It's not going to happen.

The "**** the Rangers!" articles will be coming very, very soon, too. Be prepared. When we are good, we are hated.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
Totally agree. I don't think he was "bullying" the team at all. I still loved that one part in the third episode of 24/7 when Torts and Cally we're discussing a play, and you could see how much Torts appreciated what Callahan was saying, and even smiling and enthusiastically telling him, "I'll go look at the tape right now!" and then running into the next room like a kid going to open gifts on Christmas day. I just thought it was a really nice moment between player and coach.

If anything, the way Torts is running this team, is very similar to what Herb Brooks did with the US Olympic team in 1980. He's assembled a team better then the sum of it's parts, with a emphasis on extreme conditioning and hard work, all with an eye on a common goal: a championship.

I can't freaking wait for the playoffs. The hell with Boston on the 21st, I want April, and I want it now.
Just wanted to echo this sentiment. Based on the small sample size we get to see with Torts in the media and on 24/7 I feel I would love to play for a coach like that. He is definitely "direct", he's not going to hint at what he's trying to tell you. He's going to tell you in clear and plain terms. This doesn't necessarly mean he puts his players down, clear and plain can be positive as well.

I have played for coaches that were more in the Beudreau mold, ie a lot of yelling and screaming about nothing in particular. I don't want a coach to tell me I need to play harder, I can figure that out on my own. I want a coach that tells me specifically what I am or am not doing well.

Tomas Sandstrom 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:28 PM
OverTheCap

I liked how Torts handled Stralman on 24/7. He said something along the lines of "me and Sully can't motivate you to play hard every night. You gotta motivate yourself for the group, not for us, the group."

Torts essentially told Stralman he will be letting the team down if he doesn't play hard. He's done a really good job if getting everyone to buy into the team concept.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:29 PM
lebear
I have no idea

Wrong on Lundqvist's Master's degree. He earned that years ago, it's the PhD he got this year.

lebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:35 PM
Sean Aviary
Chirp! Chirp!

Quote:
Sean Avery would care to disagree with you if his motel room has internet access. Ruslan Fedotenko's cheeks would blush if you asked him about being put on the first/second line and not being able to score.

Sean Aviary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:44 PM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Yeah, but it's also January.

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:44 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I liked how Torts handled Stralman on 24/7. He said something along the lines of "me and Sully can't motivate you to play hard every night. You gotta motivate yourself for the group, not for us, the group."

Torts essentially told Stralman he will be letting the team down if he doesn't play hard. He's done a really good job if getting everyone to buy into the team concept.
Exactly, and Stralman (not exactly a model for a motivated player) has taken his game to a better level playing under Torts. Torts just wants him to be consistent.

Old
01-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
First game versus Boston. Obviously a big test for this team.
thanks, and yeah that will show us how good our team is

Ave Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:51 PM
JanErixon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Still a lot of hockey left to play before the playoffs, not ready to think they're on easy street yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Can't disagree. So much hockey to go, and you know they're going to hit a bump in the road and everyone will be in crisis mode.

JanErixon20 is offline   Reply With Quote