HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#40|Jan. 8, 2012|Flyers at Senators |5:00 p.m. ET

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2012, 11:05 AM
Left Circle OneTimer

vCash: 500
I want one of the Byzgalov defenders to explain to me his 4.36 GAA in the playoffs last year and his 3.44 the year before behind Phoenix's awesome defensive system.

Also insight on the reason as to why Phoenix let him walk so easily if he was the best thing to happen to them in ages?

Old
01-09-2012, 11:27 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Circle OneTimer View Post
I want one of the Byzgalov defenders to explain to me his 4.36 GAA in the playoffs last year and his 3.44 the year before behind Phoenix's awesome defensive system.

Also insight on the reason as to why Phoenix let him walk so easily if he was the best thing to happen to them in ages?
They don't have an owner right now, tough to convince a player facing UFA that it's a good situation to be in when they can't even tell him what country he'll be playing in for the duration of the contract.

Old
01-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Kaktus*

Flyers D made a lot of mistakes but not as much as Sens D. Sense D sucked ass but Anderson stole the game and I am not saying Bryzgalov did not make any difficult saves. He played well and certainly did make osme difficult stops. However, Anderson made a hell of a lot more.

Can we throw some money at Larry Robbinson type of assistant head coach? If he is not employed. Seems like our blue line playing a lot of up and down hockey. Even know on paper it should be a lot better with Timonen, Carle, Mesz and Coburn.

Old
01-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
The 4th one wasn't necessarily a bad goal, but it's the type of save Bryz is being paid to make. Karlsson made a pretty good play to look off Bryz, but to justify his cap hit those are the big saves (and he certainly made some) that the Flyers need from him.
completely agree. he did make several saves on turnovers, a breakaway, odd-man rushes .... the 4th one was the only one he didn't get

last year / earlier this year, he'd probably make that save, too. we are paying him for that, and need him to improve.

but anyone claiming 'Bryz is the problem' is not being objective IMHO

Old
01-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
you mean 4 games vs DET and 7 games vs DET?

i'll explain: DET is a great team

Quote:
their financial / organizational / ownership instability

Old
01-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
you mean 4 games vs DET and 7 games vs DET?

i'll explain: DET is a great team

their financial / organizational / ownership instability
Oh so he's allowed to have those numbers against the Rangers or Bruins (who is a much higher scoring team than the Red Wings last year) because they are great teams?

Typical lame excuses to defend this bum. Even Luongo only had a 2.56 last year in the playoffs.

Remember when Boucher and Bobrovsky completely crap the bed in the playoffs? Even their GAA were 3.13 and 3.23 respectively.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:

Aside from GAA being a team stat?

I'd go with the fact that in those 11 playoff games he faced 395 shots, and had a .897 SV%.

In the previous 4 seasons he faced 7,701 shots and had a .918 SV%.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Aside from GAA being a team stat?

I'd go with the fact that in those 11 playoff games he faced 395 shots, and had a .897 SV%.

In the previous 4 seasons he faced 7,701 shots and had a .918 SV%.
Didn't we get him for the playoffs?

Old
01-09-2012, 12:31 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
People are so quick to point out Bryz's bad playoff numbers with the Coyotes, and ignore the larger sample size with the Ducks. If Bryz was having a good year, more people would be talking about his Ducks numbers than the Coyotes numbers, but because the Coyotes were more recent it's easier to complain about.

Why he left Phoenix is easy. He wanted a big contract with some security, and Phoenix didn't have either. When the Coyotes season was over, more people thought it was them moving to Winnipeg, and not Atlanta.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
People are so quick to point out Bryz's bad playoff numbers with the Coyotes, and ignore the larger sample size with the Ducks. If Bryz was having a good year, more people would be talking about his Ducks numbers than the Coyotes numbers, but because the Coyotes were more recent it's easier to complain about.

Why he left Phoenix is easy. He wanted a big contract with some security, and Phoenix didn't have either. When the Coyotes season was over, more people thought it was them moving to Winnipeg, and not Atlanta.
Except Bryz wasn't the number 1 goalie in Anaheim. why base him on stats years ago as the back up as to his stats recently as a starter?

By your logic Luongo or even brodeur is still the best goalie in the league

Old
01-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
then why are you so worked up, and calling him a bum ? it's not the playoffs, right ??

if you are only gonna select numbers that make your point, you sound biased. Bryz's playoff numbers are

GP:27 W:12 L:13 SO:3 SV%:917 GAA: 2.55

Lundqvist has 909 SV% and 2.60 GAA in the playoffs

Old
01-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
No. We got him for the regular season and playoffs. But thank you for ignoring the point I was making about the sample size.

Here's a quick question for you. Which goalie would you prefer based on playoff stats alone:

Goalie A: 11 GP 3.77 GAA .897 SV%

Goalie B: 11 GP 1.46 GAA .944 SV%

If you said goalie A you picked Bryz.

If you said goalie B you picked Bryz.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

You guys just seem to have stuck in your heads a mentality that goalies don't change at all when its in fact the most inconsistent position year to year in hockey.

Clearly haven't been following the league outside of this team either.

Brodeur? Luongo? Roloson? Mason? Price? Crawford? Fleury? Vokoun? Hiller? Ward?

Old
01-09-2012, 12:48 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
You guys just seem to have stuck in your heads a mentality that goalies don't change at all when its in fact the most inconsistent position year to year in hockey.Clearly haven't been following the league outside of this team either.

And you expect consistency from the goalie on the new team with a different system and 1/2 of the season in?

Old
01-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
You guys just seem to have stuck in your heads a mentality that goalies don't change at all when its in fact the most inconsistent position year to year in hockey.

Clearly haven't been following the league outside of this team either.

So then this couldn't just be a down year? No that's right, he's just a bum. That makes more sense.

You asked for someone to explain his past season's playoff performance, and myself and others provided you with rational arguments supported by statistical information, what else would you like?

Old
01-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
And you expect consistency from the goalie on the new team with a different system and 1/2 of the season in?
None of the goalies on new teams this year seem to have any problem adjusting yet (Mike Smith, GSG, Varlamov, Heck even Vokoun has been much better on the no defense caps)

Lol I give up. Its clear to me that you guys will always find some excuse to defend Ilya Bryzgalov.

First its the system and then its the coach. The same coach that won a cap with a terrible Carolina team that didnt make the playoffs the year before, the same coach that took us to the SCF, the same coach that currently has us sitting 4th in the dest despite icing 8 rookies a lot of which were late round picks with little to no upside or who went undrafted.

Its funny, because i know you guys know for a fact he has been bad and are just hoping that the gibberish your typing daily to defend him will some how hold truth in the future.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:59 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
None of the goalies on new teams this year seem to have any problem adjusting yet (Mike Smith, GSG, Varlamov, Heck even Vokoun has been much better on the no defense caps)

Lol I give up. Its clear to me that you guys will always find some excuse to defend Ilya Bryzgalov.

First its the system and then its the coach. The same coach that won a cap with a terrible Carolina team that didnt make the playoffs the year before, the same coach that took us to the SCF, the same coach that currently has us sitting 4th in the dest despite icing 8 rookies a lot of which were late round picks with little to no upside or who went undrafted.

Its funny, because i know you guys who for a fact he has been bad and are just hoping that the gibbersih your typing daily to defend him will some how hold truth in the future.
Lol I know using facts and logic and stuff. Hysterical.

Bryz has been bad this year, but he has not gotten much help. He needs to be better, but it is completely moronic to write off a player after a half season, especially when he has turned in a .920 Sv% 3 of the last 4 years.

Old
01-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Lol I know using facts and logic and stuff. Hysterical.

Bryz has been bad this year, but he has not gotten much help. He needs to be better, but it is completely moronic to write off a player after a half season, especially when he has turned in a .920 Sv% 3 of the last 4 years.
Why hasn't bob been anywhere near as bad as him with the same amount of help or lack thereof? Is it because he played less games or there is some other "logical" explanation?

Old
01-09-2012, 01:03 PM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
Quote:
Its funny, because i know you guys know for a fact he has been bad and are just hoping that the gibberish your typing daily to defend him will some how hold truth in the future.
I know for a fact that a lot of the goals that go in on Bryz, are off our own DAMN players. Prime example being Carle yesterday. Bryz was ready for the save on Spezza but Carle puts his stick out there and it's in our net. Are you the only not listening to Jim Jackson when he said how many goals were deflections off his own players this year for Bryz? Because I know I remember seeing a lot of them. And the defensive breakdowns by the forwards and defense (bad passing, lackadasical with the puck and many others) have lead to the puck in our net.

Old
01-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Flyersfan139

@mattcarle25
Kinda feel like this guy this morning #toughnight #itsanewdaythough http://t.co/x7enCv4T

Haha

Old
01-09-2012, 01:10 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Why hasn't bob been anywhere near as bad as him with the same amount of help or lack thereof? Is it because he played less games or there is some other "logical" explanation?
No, it's still the sample size. You can't take anything out of such a small amount of games because there are so many things that could skew the statistics. For 5 games Boosh was the greatest goalie ever.

Old
01-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan139 View Post
@mattcarle25
Kinda feel like this guy this morning #toughnight #itsanewdaythough http://t.co/x7enCv4T

Haha
Haha

01-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
even Vokoun has been much better on the no defense caps)
Vokoun: 16 9 0
Bryz 16 9 3

much better ?

i think that shows your bias right there

Old
01-09-2012, 01:41 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
Quote:

No one denies that he was not bad for the Coyotes. However, you either deny or are willingly ignorant to the fact he was good for the Ducks. You can't sit around on an internet message board spouting about how bad he was for the Coyotes and get all pissy when someone brings up he was better for another team where there is a larger sample size.

Old
01-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
Vokoun: 16 9 0
Bryz 16 9 3

much better ?

i think that shows your bias right there
This year's Caps have really struggled a lot more than the Flyers have. Despite that, his stats (GAA and SV PCT) are still better than Bryz's and he's won the same amount of games...with 3 less losses. And a lot less support from his offense.

Closed Thread