HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2012, 12:21 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

vCash: 500
I know he is currently just committed through the end of this year, but hypothetically, if Dale stays for next season, who is out there, either at the deadline or draft (pending UFA) or as a FA, who would make our team better that also played for him in junior and might want to again? I don't know a lot about the Knights.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Capitlols
Blow it up

Corey Perry.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:45 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Robbie Schr.... no I can't even type that in jest.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:47 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Robbie Schr.... no I can't even type that in jest.

Old
01-09-2012, 01:05 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Remember when Cassidy brought in all those Grand Rapids Griffins and we won the Stanley Cup? That was awesome.

Old
01-09-2012, 01:14 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Remember when Cassidy brought in all those Grand Rapids Griffins and we won the Stanley Cup? That was awesome.
Sheesh. I'm just playing the hypothetical. I don't want to dump our whole roster, but who might DH be able to attract that we'd actually want.

Old
01-09-2012, 01:23 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
Its a good angle CCF. I think George and BB showed a tendency to be predictable in their "surprise" pickups given a big enough sample size. I think by the time Wideman, another puck moving RD was added, everyone had gotten the memo.

Ties to Dale should not be ignored when trying to nail the seemingly close to impossible (thanks JP) to call trade/pickup. BB and George got guys they had first hand experience with. It was not random.

With little cap room, I think we need to filter first by cap hit for this season for a free agent.

Old
01-09-2012, 01:59 PM
G3 LesPaul

I am seriously concerned about Backstrom. Now we might have to add a number one center at the deadline

Old
01-09-2012, 02:07 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
I am seriously concerned about Backstrom. Now we might have to add a number one center at the deadline
They should've left him in DC... no flying, no practicing. But hopefully the concussion is minor and has not been exacerbated by this stupid failure to treat it with caution.

On the other hand, we need another top quality centerman, so if this motivates that trade, I'm good with that. When Nicky comes back, they'll be a better team for it.

Old
01-09-2012, 02:10 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Boot the season. Trade the ufa ex-wides. Re-sign wides. See if someone takes green at tdl. Could get useful futures then....

Obviously if the backstrom thing is really bad.

Old
01-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Carlzner
Game of Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Boot the season. Trade the ufa ex-wides. Re-sign wides. See if someone takes green at tdl. Could get useful futures then....

Obviously if the backstrom thing is really bad.

I would agree to this, but Vokoun is on a one year deal to win... He's our best chance and he certainly won't resign if we throw the season.

Old
01-09-2012, 02:20 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

It's half in jest, other half pissed off. But something gmgm should consider. He has the info, I don't.

Last edited by HSHS: 01-09-2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: iphone
Old
01-09-2012, 02:21 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
They should've left him in DC... no flying, no practicing. But hopefully the concussion is minor and has not been exacerbated by this stupid failure to treat it with caution.

On the other hand, we need another top quality centerman, so if this motivates that trade, I'm good with that. When Nicky comes back, they'll be a better team for it.
my understanding of concussion treatment is that its a one step at a time process.
he was tested. had no ill effects. skated. had no ill effects. skated again and then traveled with no ill effects. it appears he had a set back after his first practice in cali.

Old
01-09-2012, 02:44 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

My understanding was that the only concussion test he took, the results were inconclusive. It should have spoken volumes. Sid playing after getting schtickled should be a red flag. A new bar was set, do not let the player decide if he got concussed or not. <radio edit>

We are going to need Laich to be the 2C I guessed he was inked to be after all. But I see no chemistry between Ovi and Laich but I want it to get a long look. I still think MJ + Semin = too soft despite recent signs of doing well.

Some ideas
Ovi Laich Brouwer | Chimera MJ Semin
Ovi MJ Knuble | Semin Laich Brouwer
Ovi Laich Semin | Chimera MJ Brouwer
Ovi Laich Brouwer | Semin MJ Knuble

Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-09-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old
01-09-2012, 03:13 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
My understanding was that the only concussion test he took, the results were inconclusive. It should have spoken volumes. Sid playing after getting schtickled should be a red flag. A new bar was set, do not let the player decide if he got concussed or not. I presume Nick's season would have to be basically declared over before George could or would use his cap space to find a replacement.
We are going to need Laich to be the 2C I guessed he was inked to be after all. But I see no chemistry between Ovi and Laich but I want it to get a long look. I still think MJ + Semin = too soft despite recent signs of doing well.

Some ideas
Way to spread the optimistic cheer...bite your tongue.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
Old
01-09-2012, 03:51 PM
MiSe

Remember how much Nick downplayed his thumb last year?
He's a tough cookie, but I'm a little more worried as well. Hope I'm wrong.

Old
01-09-2012, 03:58 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Why do I have a terrible feeling McPhee is going to put in a claim on Brule on re-entry waivers...

Old
01-09-2012, 04:03 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
My understanding was that the only concussion test he took, the results were inconclusive. It should have spoken volumes. Sid playing after getting schtickled should be a red flag. A new bar was set, do not let the player decide if he got concussed or not. I presume Nick's season would have to be basically declared over before George could or would use his cap space to find a replacement.

Some ideas

I had been under the impression that he was going to have follow up tests. Then he was practicing so I'd assumed he passed those second tests. Very confused by how this has been handled.

Old
01-09-2012, 04:24 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
Yeah it sure does suck. I really hope Bourque gets his.

Old
01-09-2012, 05:16 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Are their any prospects down in Hershey worth bringing up for exp. while Nickey is out?

*edit* Nevermind. Although, Eakin is listed as a center, is that his natural position?

Old
01-09-2012, 05:46 PM
sk84fun_dc

I skimmed a few threads and didn't see this anywhere; anyway, the Caps/Stingrays loaned Paquette to Utah and the Stingrays get a forward Joshua ("Podge") Turnbull in return. more info. on Paquette here

Old
01-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSe View Post
Remember how much Nick downplayed his thumb last year?
He's a tough cookie, but I'm a little more worried as well. Hope I'm wrong.
Seeing how many guys are down with concussions this season. Even if he was fine. I would still site him a few days. And think to myself "Wow that was close... better play it safe"

Old
01-09-2012, 06:15 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Way to spread the optimistic cheer...bite your tongue.
Good job bolding it for all to see, way to spread the cheer yourself.

If its inappropriate, the mods will do their thing. You can also address it without quoting it.

With Green and now Nick, perhaps you need to prepare yourself for lots of doom and gloom around here as we discuss when they may come back, and George's options. I apologize if my comments were insensitive but I find if difficult to spread optimistic cheer WRT concussions. Regardless everyone here knows every Caps fan wants them both back at 100%. Perhaps it needs to be said every now and then.

Get well soon Mike and Nick

Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-09-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old
01-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
This has a good chance to prove the Laich signing to be a bad one. I don’t expect him to step up and be able to do the job as a C1 or C2. Most of what he does only stands out so much on this team. He is putting in good effort and going to the net on a team that really does a poor job at both. It makes him stand out.

Edit - Don’t get me wrong. He does have a good two way game. And he gets his points. But I don’t think he does much to create things on his own at least not as much as you would expect from his numbers.

Old
01-09-2012, 06:45 PM
txpd

laich not creating

Closed Thread