HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What happened to David Fischer?

Old
01-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Beakermania*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Too bad the Gainey didn't send Fisher instead of McDonagh to the Rangers
By the time the trade was made, everyone, including the Rangers knew that McDonagh was far superior to Fischer, and that Fischer had high bust potential.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:02 PM
1UP

Well, we got Top Titty out of him, I guess, which is more than we got out of other 1st rounders ^_^.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:28 PM
neofury*

I think he came to a point in his life where he realized his development was stalling and he decided it was either get an education + real job or focus mostly on hockey. He decided education and job was a safer bet due to not developing fast enough to really become an NHL player.

Pretty sure he didn't refuse to sign with us, it was likely he and the GM had a talk and he told him he was considering school over hockey. At that point it was likely a mutual agreement.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Before draft day they should really look into the personal goals of the players. As much as the hockey side of things. It would clear out a lot of things when it comes to picking a player.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

After Fischer was cut (or he was sent down to the Moose- Vancouver's AHL team), he was one of the first cuts from the Manitoba Moose, so he wasn't even close to being ready to play at the AHL level or the Moose really didn't want him around.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I think he came to a point in his life where he realized his development was stalling and he decided it was either get an education + real job or focus mostly on hockey. He decided education and job was a safer bet due to not developing fast enough to really become an NHL player.

Pretty sure he didn't refuse to sign with us, it was likely he and the GM had a talk and he told him he was considering school over hockey. At that point it was likely a mutual agreement.
The Habs never offered a contract in 2010. They did offer him a contract when he first was drafted, which like I said earlier, he didn't sign because he wanted to stay in University. I'm guessing this is a standard move by organizations drafting highly rated NCAA players to ensure that if the player doesn't develop, they aren't left empty handed. Offer a contract you know won't be signed, let the player develop. If he doesn't, get a compensation from the league using a "loop hole" (if a 1st round pick refuses to sign a contract, the organization gets an equivalent 2nd round pick in the next draft).

So when 2010 came around, and it was time to sign him or let him go, they chose not to sign him. He wasn't doing good, and they benefited from the fact that they had already offered a contract before to be able to ask the league for a compensation, when in reality, he was perfectly willing to sign with the Habs at that point.

He's still playing hockey. The ECHL is a full time job. So I don't think it's about his passion or his will to commit to hockey.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:39 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Would have been nice had he worked out and lived up to early expectations but alas as we all know that is not how this works. We draft as well as we can in hopes a few guys from each draft make it to the big leagues to help the team.

Was curious and went to check hockeydb.com and was interesting to see he has already surpassed his goal total of last year and almost matched his point total in less then half the games. Maybe he might one day make it, look at Matt Carkner who only made it full time at the age of 29 and has played 144 of his 146 career games since then.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
I would've loved to see him in the AHL. I saw him twice in dev camps and he was doing really great, especially the 2nd time.

Of course I've never seen him in game situations and from what I've heard he wasn't so great. But it could've been interesting to see him with the Bulldogs at least.

Seb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:46 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
I would've loved to see him in the AHL. I saw him twice in dev camps and he was doing really great, especially the 2nd time.

Of course I've never seen him in game situations and from what I've heard he wasn't so great. But it could've been interesting to see him with the Bulldogs at least.
Maybe he could be as good - or as bad - as another famous 1st pick, Mitera, another overestimated College big d-man.(the ones Timmins is in love with...)

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
The Habs never offered a contract in 2010. They did offer him a contract when he first was drafted, which like I said earlier, he didn't sign because he wanted to stay in University. I'm guessing this is a standard move by organizations drafting highly rated NCAA players to ensure that if the player doesn't develop, they aren't left empty handed. Offer a contract you know won't be signed, let the player develop. If he doesn't, get a compensation from the league using a "loop hole" (if a 1st round pick refuses to sign a contract, the organization gets an equivalent 2nd round pick in the next draft).

So when 2010 came around, and it was time to sign him or let him go, they chose not to sign him. He wasn't doing good, and they benefited from the fact that they had already offered a contract before to be able to ask the league for a compensation, when in reality, he was perfectly willing to sign with the Habs at that point.

He's still playing hockey. The ECHL is a full time job. So I don't think it's about his passion or his will to commit to hockey.
This is 100% my take on it as well. He was offered the contract relatively early, as a way of ensuring that they'd get a 2nd if he busted out.

Old
01-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
By the time the trade was made, everyone, including the Rangers knew that McDonagh was far superior to Fischer, and that Fischer had high bust potential.
They still would've taken him. Getting rid of Gomez was the best thing that ever happened to them. We should've made them pay us to take him.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Belso

Bust.. /Thread

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Chet-Nick

As stated earlier on this Fischer thread. Montreal used the compensatory pick (for not signing him) to acquire Wisniewski.

Being that Wisniewski was dealt to Columbus prior to becoming a unrestricted free agent (and signed there). Montreal receives a fifth rounder this year.

That's all the Canadiens will have to show for drafting Fischer. And to a lesser degree Mitera.

Chet-Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet-Nick View Post
As stated earlier on this Fischer thread. Montreal used the compensatory pick (for not signing him) to acquire Wisniewski.

Being that Wisniewski was dealt to Columbus prior to becoming a unrestricted free agent (and signed there). Montreal receives a fifth rounder this year.

That's all the Canadiens will have to show for drafting Fischer. And to a lesser degree Mitera.
We got a year of Wiz? I mean... He played for us. Put up some really good numbers. You can't rule that out. A lot of team get absolutely nothing out of their first rounders. It's not like the success rate is close to 100%.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
We got a year of Wiz? I mean... He played for us. Put up some really good numbers. You can't rule that out. A lot of team get absolutely nothing out of their first rounders. It's not like the success rate is close to 100%.
Agreed, we don't make the playoffs last season without Wiz.

Old
01-10-2012, 01:27 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

You hope he improved his "arsenal" of shots. This guy, of all the development and rookies camps I saw, had to be the guy with the weakest shots of them all. Below guys that were invitees. Yet, I remember his 1st camp and he was full of promise. Was a fun skater to watch, pretty fluid. And had a good stickwork. Yet, was so easy to push around and that unfortunately never changed. Here's another thing you hope he did is to bulk up in EVERY AREA possible....

Good luck. But it was not the pick to make at that time. A whole lot of similar players have been picked at best in round 2 and beyond in later drafts. And probably with better results. But you still hope for the kid. I hope Wheeling would have given him the try. 'Cause it does look as the kid wants to still play hockey.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:42 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

At least we got a 2nd rounder for him. Didn't we waste that pick on someone we didn't resign? Probably Moore or Wisniewski..

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote