HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Winter Classic altercation (December 2012: fan sentenced to house arrest)

Old
01-08-2012, 08:54 AM
kammy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Your post count is probably your age. American education system ftw.

I can't believe some people. You can't wear opposition jerseys anywhere? what are you? football(soccer) fans. That's just downright sad.
UK has to be the WORST place to live on the planet. the only good thing is that the cabs are cool... everything else sucks.

kammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
It's truly a shame that one cannot wear an opposing team's jersey when going to a restaurant after a game.
I agree - but it's not like they were at a Friday's or something. They were in South Philly on Passyunk - which isn't a bad neighborhood but it's probably the absolute worst place in the city to go in a Rangers jersey after a game like that. There are plenty of salty dudes walking around South Philly looking to kick somebody's ass on a good day - and if given any reason - they will oblige.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kammy View Post
UK has to be the WORST place to live on the planet. the only good thing is that the cabs are cool... everything else sucks.
I don't know if I would go that far. There are a lot of cool old buildings. And some pretty good places to get fish and chips.

mmmm fish and chips... now I know what I'm having for lunch

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 10:30 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

The Philly guys were stupid - don't start fights for no reason.

The New York guys were just as stupid - just take off the damn jersey if you want a cheesesteak.

That's this entire ordeal in a nutshell. There's no reason to start bashing people's cities or countries...

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 08:47 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirouxGiroux View Post
http://www.thepensblog.com/tpb/jan20...g-unglued.html

Cue everyone generalizing about Pittsburgh fans being thugs?

Holy $^&% man that is a travesty!! Who physically attacks a pregnant woman?? I am sending this to all my friends who are Penguins fans.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Lurch

vCash: 50
I have to say, I was enlightened at the AHL Winter Classic this weekend. I've never really had an issue at Flyers games because I wear Flyers gear. But I attended the game this Friday wearing the "wrong" colors. I am a partial Flyers season ticket holder and a full Hershey Bears season ticket holder (due to the fact that it is a 2 hour drive to Philly and can't make weeknight games).

I thought it would be a good compromise to wear my Hextal Bears jersey, but I got no slack. The verbal barrage started when I sat down with my wife and daughter (who took military leave and came back to the states looking very forward to this game). I could handle the vocal stuff considering the Bears were leading for a while, but then the bottles started coming down on us and a couple of knuckleheads threatened to spit on my daughter. BS! I put a stop to it right there.

On the other hand the folks on either side of us were very pleasant and apologized for the others actions. We enjoyed the game and I got to see Flyers prospects play and my AHL home team play. Should have been a great night all around.

Back in Hershey Saturday night, I chatted with other Bears fans who had roughly the same experience. Crazy since most Hershey fans are big Flyers fans due to us being the farm team for 12 years and geographic proximity.

I was in section 305, and would love it if the poor behavior could be attributed to only a few fans, but unfortunately it was a good many of them throughout CBP. I have worn my Flyers gear to many NHL cities (Toronto, Washington, LA, Anaheim, MSG, Long Island, Pittsburg, Colorado, etc....) and have NEVER been treated so poorly as I have in my "home town".

Really kind of disgusted after this weekend.

Lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:35 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
I have to say, I was enlightened at the AHL Winter Classic this weekend. I've never really had an issue at Flyers games because I wear Flyers gear. But I attended the game this Friday wearing the "wrong" colors. I am a partial Flyers season ticket holder and a full Hershey Bears season ticket holder (due to the fact that it is a 2 hour drive to Philly and can't make weeknight games).

I thought it would be a good compromise to wear my Hextal Bears jersey, but I got no slack. The verbal barrage started when I sat down with my wife and daughter (who took military leave and came back to the states looking very forward to this game). I could handle the vocal stuff considering the Bears were leading for a while, but then the bottles started coming down on us and a couple of knuckleheads threatened to spit on my daughter. BS! I put a stop to it right there.

On the other hand the folks on either side of us were very pleasant and apologized for the others actions. We enjoyed the game and I got to see Flyers prospects play and my AHL home team play. Should have been a great night all around.

Back in Hershey Saturday night, I chatted with other Bears fans who had roughly the same experience. Crazy since most Hershey fans are big Flyers fans due to us being the farm team for 12 years and geographic proximity.

I was in section 305, and would love it if the poor behavior could be attributed to only a few fans, but unfortunately it was a good many of them throughout CBP. I have worn my Flyers gear to many NHL cities (Toronto, Washington, LA, Anaheim, MSG, Long Island, Pittsburg, Colorado, etc....) and have NEVER been treated so poorly as I have in my "home town".

Really kind of disgusted after this weekend.

That really sucks and shouldn't happen especially when you're there with your daughter. However, I will have to say that you were just lucky that it didn't happen at these other places. I've personally experienced the fan hatred at MSG, NJ, and DC. It happens everywhere.

Old
01-09-2012, 10:27 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
That really sucks and shouldn't happen especially when you're there with your daughter. However, I will have to say that you were just lucky that it didn't happen at these other places. I've personally experienced the fan hatred at MSG, NJ, and DC. It happens everywhere.
Seriously?

I've been going to Flyers @ Caps for 7 years pretty much (thank you student discounts); basically since back when our games in Washington were home games for us.

I have to tell you Caps fans are harmless compared to NY, NJ, BOS, PIT, and us.

I've had people chant at me and yell crap like "Gagne sucks!"

Still, it's easy to laugh them off when most of the people yelling at you get their facts wrong.

I've seriously had a Caps fan yell at me, "Come back when you win a Stanley Cup!"

Old
01-09-2012, 10:54 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Seriously?

I've been going to Flyers @ Caps for 7 years pretty much (thank you student discounts); basically since back when our games in Washington were home games for us.

Still, it's easy to laugh them off when most of the people yelling at you get their facts wrong.

I've seriously had a Caps fan yell at me, "Come back when you win a Stanley Cup!"

Yep. I have to say I was probably a little too rowdy for their liking in this instance. They were more football fans (Redskins) than anything and they assumed that I was an Eagles fan (I am not). It was a few years ago, in the playoffs, Game 2 against the Caps where Biron got us a shutout and we won 2-0. I went to the game while visiting my best friend who lives in DC. He happens to be a Pens fan.

As I said, I was a bit rowdy for this one because it was the playoffs. I happened to get a seat at the end so whenever we scored I would run up and down some of the steps and high five the Flyers fans. They did NOT like that lol. Lots of trash talking coming my way after that. Especially when I went into the bathroom. Was called a piece of trash etc. Felt pretty threatened so I got out of there as quickly as I could but fired back a few of my own words to them while leaving the bathroom. I was the only one wearing a Flyers jersey. When I came back, suddenly the guy who was trash talking to me had his girlfriend start talking to me and acting like she had an interest in me (total BS, I'm not an idiot). She kept talking to me and told me to come sit by her in different part of the stadium. I did not do it because she was just trying to get me to go up there so I was in an isolated area and that guy and his friend would try beating me and use the fact that I hit on his girlfriend as an excuse. But I'm smart enough to walk away from that incident. Not getting beaten up over a sporting event.

Old
01-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Seriously?

I haven't seen anything happen during games, but afterwards in the Metro station. Combining lots of drunk opposing fans in a small area, annoyed at waiting for the train...not good.

01-09-2012, 11:38 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Huh? I don't know about that. I live in Ottawa and attend all Flyer games here in full Flyer jear and have NEVER had more than someone boo and laugh. I have watched games throughout Canada and have never had an issue with the Flyer jersey on. In fact, it is commonplace to see numerous other teams jerseys in buildings, they get heckled, but NEVER to the point the previous poster claimed.

I know Philly has this thing about being "tough" and don't come to our city wearing the wrong colors, but really, it isn't gangland, it really shouldn't be "dangerous" to attend a game in Philly wearing the other teams jersey. Just as it shouldn't be "dangerous" to wear a Flyer jersey in another teams building.

This is just crazy.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:57 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Huh? I don't know about that. I live in Ottawa and attend all Flyer games here in full Flyer jear and have NEVER had more than someone boo and laugh. I have watched games throughout Canada and have never had an issue with the Flyer jersey on. In fact, it is commonplace to see numerous other teams jerseys in buildings, they get heckled, but NEVER to the point the previous poster claimed.

I know Philly has this thing about being "tough" and don't come to our city wearing the wrong colors, but really, it isn't gangland, it really shouldn't be "dangerous" to attend a game in Philly wearing the other teams jersey. Just as it shouldn't be "dangerous" to wear a Flyer jersey in another teams building.

This is just crazy.

First, how many times have you been to Flyers games in Philly? This stuff happens as I've witnessed it. Second, it's possible that Ottawa is a little more laid back. Third, I don't consider Ottawa to be a rival.

Old
01-09-2012, 01:16 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirouxGiroux View Post
http://www.thepensblog.com/tpb/jan20...g-unglued.html

Cue everyone generalizing about Pittsburgh fans being thugs?
Is there an ESPN article yet?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:23 PM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Is there an ESPN article yet?

There isn't any evidence that this story is 100% true because there's no news articles about it yet. But if you read @ChristmasCrosby's Twitter feeds you can see that he's not lying.

Last edited by MrHockey1982: 01-09-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old
01-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Seriously?

The closest I've ever come to getting into an altercation at a sporting event happened in the Verizon Center during a Flyers/Caps game. On two separate occasions. Those people are gigantic losers.

And, yes, I too have had the "win a Cup" idiocy hurled at me, at which point I remind them my team has won two to the Caps' zero (it's pretty funny when a Flyers fan can talk **** to another fan base about winning Cups). I also wear my "Bandwagon" Capitals shirt under my Flyers jersey whenever I go and am sure to show it off when the mongoloids start spouting off. Works like a charm.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:46 PM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
The closest I've ever come to getting into an altercation at a sporting event happened in the Verizon Center during a Flyers/Caps game. On two separate occasions. Those people are gigantic losers.

And, yes, I too have had the "win a Cup" idiocy hurled at me, at which point I remind them my team has won two to the Caps' zero (it's pretty funny when a Flyers fan can talk **** to another fan base about winning Cups). I also wear my "Bandwagon" Capitals shirt under my Flyers jersey whenever I go and am sure to show it off when the mongoloids start spouting off. Works like a charm.

Haha yea man. The guy that was talking trash to me said, "Yea, well we've got the best player in the league in Ovechkin. He had 62 goals this season." I responded with, "He had 65 goals you dipsh$*!" LOL. The caps fans around me started laughing and he felt pretty embarassed.

Old
01-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Haha yea man. The guy that was talking trash to me said, "Yea, well we've got the best player in the league in Ovechkin. He had 62 goals this season." I responded with, "He had 65 goals you dipsh$*!" LOL. The caps fans around me started laughing and he felt pretty embarassed.
Letting them know you used to come to games when the arena was half empty and populated predominantly with Flyers fans -- this was as recently as a little over four years ago, right before Boudreau was hired -- is always effective, as well. Because they know it's true. Seriously, in November of '07, I went to a Flyers/Caps game and, due to a "student night" promotion, got lower bowl seats maybe 10 rows from the glass for something like $25.

I typically have a rule for every Caps fan I encounter: If they can name me 10 guys who played for the Caps prior to the Ovechkin days, I'll engage them in hockey talk. Otherwise, piss off.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:37 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
There isn't any evidence that this story is 100% true because there's no news articles about it yet. But if you read @ChristmasCrosby's Twitter feeds you can see that he's not lying.
Either way I wouldn't have rushed over to the Pens forum about this until reputable sources pick it up. Just makes us look like we're whining.

Old
01-09-2012, 02:53 PM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Either way I wouldn't have rushed over to the Pens forum about this until reputable sources pick it up. Just makes us look like we're whining.

So I'm whining now? I was trying to find out of anyone had more information about the story. They got all pissy about it.

Old
01-09-2012, 03:07 PM
MrHockey1982

http://www.thepensblog.com/tpb/jan20...medium=twitter

More witnesses come forward to describe the beating of the pregnant woman. I think this has to confirm that it happened. Why would all these random people say it happened if it didn't?

Old
01-09-2012, 03:18 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Quote:
So I'm whining now? I was trying to find out of anyone had more information about the story. They got all pissy about it.
I bolded the important part of my post. Doesn't matter how you try to spin it, they're rival fans and they'll still see you as just coming over and trying to make an excuse that they're animals too. Two wrongs don't make a right.

On top of that fights break out at a lot of Flyers game whenever they're playing the Devils/Penguins/Rangers, at both arenas, so at this point it's water under the bridge.

And as the Pens fans said, it's also a Pens blog with very little reputation. It's like if someone tried to take Eklund seriously. As much as Broad Street Hockey and Crossing Broad are blogs, it's hard to dispute video evidence. Until said "video" is released I'll take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited by JLHockeyKnight: 01-09-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old
01-09-2012, 03:23 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Letting them know you used to come to games when the arena was half empty and populated predominantly with Flyers fans -- this was as recently as a little over four years ago, right before Boudreau was hired -- is always effective, as well. Because they know it's true. Seriously, in November of '07, I went to a Flyers/Caps game and, due to a "student night" promotion, got lower bowl seats maybe 10 rows from the glass for something like $25.

I typically have a rule for every Caps fan I encounter: If they can name me 10 guys who played for the Caps prior to the Ovechkin days, I'll engage them in hockey talk. Otherwise, piss off.
I think as a DC resident I should adopt that rule.

Old
01-09-2012, 03:28 PM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
I bolded the important part of my post. Doesn't matter how you try to spin it, they're rival fans and they'll still see you as just coming over and trying to make an excuse that they're animals too. Two wrongs don't make a right.

On top of that fights break out at a lot of Flyers game whenever they're playing the Devils/Penguins/Rangers, at both arenas, so at this point it's water under the bridge.

And as the Pens fans said, it's also a Pens blog with very little reputation. It's like if someone tried to take Eklund seriously. As much as Broad Street Hockey and Crossing Broad are blogs, it's hard to dispute video evidence. Until said "video" is released I'll take it with a grain of salt.

How I'm trying to spin it? I was looking for information, that's all. How am I in the wrong? Check the Twitter accounts of all the people involved. They have even said that the video was removed and that it was taken off of the police blotter. Unless all of these witnesses are lying, the police are keeping this covered up so it doesn't get out. Eventually we will hear about it through the news.

Old
01-09-2012, 03:29 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:

I assume you're very quiet at the games.

Old
01-09-2012, 03:31 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
How I'm trying to spin it? I was looking for information, that's all. How am I in the wrong? Check the Twitter accounts of all the people involved. They have even said that the video was removed and that it was taken off of the police blotter. Unless all of these witnesses are lying, the police are keeping this covered up so it doesn't get out. Eventually we will hear about it through the news.
Because everyone on Twitter tells the truth. Except for Edward Neary.

Until I see something legitimate report it I'll believe twitter reporters as far as I can throw them. But there seems to be a lot of running up and down escalators so the amount of time this took to happen without anyone seriously stepping in makes it sound a bit out there.