HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

At what point does Lehner get called-up to backup Andy for Playoff Run

Old
01-09-2012, 08:19 AM
trobby

vCash: 500
Keep RL in the AHL all year.
AA is fine. He's big, he's bauld, he's Alex Auld...

What the Sens need is at least 1 more competent Defenceman for a playoff run.
Other than that, I'm content.

trobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 08:28 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobby View Post
Keep RL in the AHL all year.
AA is fine. He's big, he's bauld, he's Alex Auld...

What the Sens need is at least 1 more competent Defenceman for a playoff run.
Other than that, I'm content.
I don't know... I don't really have a lot of faith in Auld at all. Almost none, in fact.

Count me in as part of the group that would like Lehner to get at least a start or two this year to spell Andy off. Call him up for a game to start, send him back to Bingo the next day so that he doesn't rot on our bench as the backup. Auld can still keep his mop-up duties, but right now he doesn't exactly inspire confidence in me.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:07 AM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
Terrible? really? I don't think that is the word for Lehner in the AHL. The AHL means crap. Lehner is a great goalie and has shown that in the NHL. He is going to be called up to back-up before we would even consider a trade.

He was the best playoff performer in the entire AHL last season... he doesn't have a ton more to prove... he just needs to play whereever.

You make it sound like he's better than the AHL so his poor play is excusable. The plan this year was to have him play in the AHL, maybe force his way onto the NHL roster at times and then come in as the backup next year.

This year so far has to be considered a set-back. He may still turn it around and get hot, but the way he has played it wouldn't be surprising if they decide he needs another year in Bingo.

I think he still will make it eventually but there's no need to rush him. If they need a better backup than Auld he's probably not the answer right now.

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Alaskimo
Pesky Pesky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonthaveaCOWEN View Post
Just looking at Bingo, they are clearly having a rough year. It's great that Lehner is getting good playing time down there but that team is destined to finish at the bottom of the league by the looks of it.
Really? Last I checked McKenna was still playing more, and having an allaround better year while Lehner has been continously sidelined with injuries and suspensions... He needs more time. And he is going to get that time, we have Anderson for a few years and he's been great most games, no matter what the stats say... No need to rush him, I'm sure we can find a backup should the club choose to not resign Auld.

Alaskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Billy Madison*

In Auld's next showing, if he doesn't play to the level of an NHL goaltender (at least a backup) there is a good possibility he could go the way of Raycroft. Yes, he's just a backup but he needs to be able to play a game or two where he doesn't let in 4 or 5 goals.

Lehner being in Ottawa by years end is a real possibility if Auld keeps playing the way he has.

Billy Madison* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:56 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Enter*playoffs?!?* video here ....

Give Auld a chance!

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:17 AM
TeamRenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikKarlsson View Post
He has the best NHL stats out of the 3 this season.
Not in wins he doesnt

TeamRenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Alfredsson11

would love to see him get 2-3 games in the NHL this year.

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:25 PM
sens83

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonthaveaCOWEN View Post
Just looking at Bingo, they are clearly having a rough year. It's great that Lehner is getting good playing time down there but that team is destined to finish at the bottom of the league by the looks of it.

In more cases than not, after playing yesterday and ALOT lately, McLean would have likely gone to the backup goalie for tonights game versus Philly, however he clearly doesn't have confidence in Auld to spot starts, especially against caliber teams like Philly.

I think we agree that we are "all-in" for the playoffs and there is no turning back. I think the majority also agree that we should "go for it as is" and not mortgage the future for deadline rentals (i.e Sutton, Cullen for picks and prospects). We already made our big splash for Turris. However, it is clear that Auld is not a capable backup to play a stretch of games or playoff games if it came to it. So with Bingo a write off for a year, and the losing environment he's been exposed to for most of the year...at what point do we call up Lehner to back-up Andy for the rest of the season as he'll need a rest here and there down the stretch run so he doesn't fatigue for our long cinderalla playoff run
You really don't follow Binghamton too closely do you. Last year we had just about the same amount of points. We went on a tear around Jan/Feb that got us into the playoffs. Same ****, different year. I expect Bingo to make the 7th-8th spot in the playoffs again. We are a much better team, (when healthy), than our record indicates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
He's having his own struggles in the AHL right now. He still needs seasoning. He's not ready.
This. He isn't ready, his recent suspension should show that. His head wasn't in the game all night and he'd rather get into a line brawl than stop pucks. Development goes beyond just skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwan553 View Post
I don't think he'll be ready for at least another year or two.
This x2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskimo View Post
Really? Last I checked McKenna was still playing more, and having an allaround better year while Lehner has been continously sidelined with injuries and suspensions... He needs more time. And he is going to get that time, we have Anderson for a few years and he's been great most games, no matter what the stats say... No need to rush him, I'm sure we can find a backup should the club choose to not resign Auld.
Ding, Ding, Ding. Last year we had Brust, this year McKenna is doing his best impersonation, lets hope we can string together some wins and skate into the bottom playoff spots.

I actually hope that Ottawa drafts a good goalie with their 2nd/3rd round pick this year, or trade for a pick and grab a goalie. Some healthy competition might be what Mr. Lehner needs. Like when he had to win his job back during the Calder Cup run from Barry Brust.

Before we crown Robin with being the savior I think everyone should take an objective look at the situation. This year was "meant" to be a bust, let's get real, making the playoffs is a plus this year. No need to rush the rehab of the franchise.

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 03:07 PM
Ice-Tray

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens83 View Post
You really don't follow Binghamton too closely do you. Last year we had just about the same amount of points. We went on a tear around Jan/Feb that got us into the playoffs. Same ****, different year. I expect Bingo to make the 7th-8th spot in the playoffs again. We are a much better team, (when healthy), than our record indicates.

This. He isn't ready, his recent suspension should show that. His head wasn't in the game all night and he'd rather get into a line brawl than stop pucks. Development goes beyond just skill.

This x2.

Ding, Ding, Ding. Last year we had Brust, this year McKenna is doing his best impersonation, lets hope we can string together some wins and skate into the bottom playoff spots.

I actually hope that Ottawa drafts a good goalie with their 2nd/3rd round pick this year, or trade for a pick and grab a goalie. Some healthy competition might be what Mr. Lehner needs. Like when he had to win his job back during the Calder Cup run from Barry Brust.

Before we crown Robin with being the savior I think everyone should take an objective look at the situation. This year was "meant" to be a bust, let's get real, making the playoffs is a plus this year. No need to rush the rehab of the franchise.
Well put, and I of course will always defer to you Bingo fans' opinions on Lehner and other. Hopefully he can learn to play consistently while still having that edge.

Ice-Tray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Billy Madison*

Quote:

While a lot of that may be true, Lehner has pretty much done what has been asked and exceed expectations in the OHL and AHL as a European goaltender. Yah, there are some very rough edges to his game but a lot of that might have to be sorted out in the NHL with stronger characters and personalities around.

Lehner is Bingo's goaltender, no if's, and's or but's. He earned that right last year in the playoffs. That could very well be working against him as well. In Ottawa he would be the backup and would need to fight for every single game he got which could be the best thing for him. In Bingo, no matter what, he's the guy that was the MVP of the Championship Senators.

He's close to be ready for a backup role even though maturity issue's on the ice might be a problem (as it is for a lot of young players). He's probably done all he really can do in the AHL in terms of things he can accomplish. Yah, he could get to the all-star game or carry the load but again, what motivation is there right now?

Ottawa's plan was for him to play 2 or 3 years in the AHL and then bring him up to Ottawa to be the backup and hopefully take over the number 1 job in 2 or 3 years. So far it's par for the course.

Old
01-09-2012, 03:31 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
Most of you have to be kidding just a little. Lehner was playing out of his mind good at the beginning of the season and had no support. I suppose it is kind of like Andy up here. Lehner has had some bad luck, but he has had no set backs. If he was playing when his team was healthy and had new editions, Lehner would be the starter right now. The entire bingo team has a championship hangover, they also lost a lot of key players over the summer. The D, is different, forwards are different. It was almost like KK had to start all over again. Lehner would do fine in the AHL and fine here. Don't let losses mislead any of you.

The difference between McKenna and Lehner? McKenna has played more games in the NHL, other than that Lehner has far more potential and will do far better in the long run than McKenna. This comparison right now is pretty ridiculous.

I'd call Lehner up in a second and trade Auld for another 6th rnd pick to let our scouts draft another future top 6 foward or top 4 D man.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Look, I have a boner for Lehner too like everyone else.

But get real here folks,

I'd take Auld over Lehner any day.

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Tuna99

We call him up in playoffs when we are down 0-3 in games and Anderson has played crap, then we hope for the same magic as last season and his MVP Calder run - like Cam Ward did when Gerber shyte the bed NHL style.

No point in giving Auld any playoff games, especially when it will be his last game in an Ottawa uniform and Lehner has proven he can be magic

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
Look, I have a boner for Lehner too like everyone else.

But get real here folks,

I'd take Auld over Lehner any day.
It isn't that simple.

If I needed one win and I had those two to choose from...it'd be pretty close and I might choose the kid.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Forget the playoff run, we aren't making it at all playing Anderson this much.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:30 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

I think it depends. If Bingo is in a playoff race than Murray would leave Lehner in Bingo all yr to get some more playoff experience. If Murray gets an offer for Auld at the trade deadline than Lehner should be called up to back up Anderson. If Auld does get traded & Bingo is in a playoff race than Lehner would still get called up to Ottawa to be the backup & Mckenna would have to carry the load with Stewart as backup until Ottawa's season was done. If Auld does not get traded at the deadline then Lehner stays in Bingo all yr & starts next yr in Ottawa as the backup to Anderson would be my guess.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:47 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
Forget the playoff run, we aren't making it at all playing Anderson this much.
That is why I would call Lehner up. Let McKenna carry Bingo and develop the teams best prospects in a winning atmosphere down there. Let Lehner back up Anderson, I trust the kid to do well for us as a back up at this point. Auld just doesn't have it. If our system was Montreal (Martin) system then I could see Auld doing okay. Lehner is used to run and gun from Bingo last season.

Old
01-10-2012, 07:59 AM
sens83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Madison View Post
While a lot of that may be true, Lehner has pretty much done what has been asked and exceed expectations in the OHL and AHL as a European goaltender. Yah, there are some very rough edges to his game but a lot of that might have to be sorted out in the NHL with stronger characters and personalities around.

Lehner is Bingo's goaltender, no if's, and's or but's. He earned that right last year in the playoffs. That could very well be working against him as well. In Ottawa he would be the backup and would need to fight for every single game he got which could be the best thing for him. In Bingo, no matter what, he's the guy that was the MVP of the Championship Senators.

He's close to be ready for a backup role even though maturity issue's on the ice might be a problem (as it is for a lot of young players). He's probably done all he really can do in the AHL in terms of things he can accomplish. Yah, he could get to the all-star game or carry the load but again, what motivation is there right now?

Ottawa's plan was for him to play 2 or 3 years in the AHL and then bring him up to Ottawa to be the backup and hopefully take over the number 1 job in 2 or 3 years. So far it's par for the course.
While I agree he did prove himself, that doesn't mean he's ready to tender in the NHL. Can he probably be a good back up to Anderson, sure, he probably could. The real question is why? Like I said, this season was suppose to be a bust anyways. This is typical HFBoards nonsense to rush to a conclusion with the prospects. The goal should be long term, not short term thinking. If we "sell the farm" to make the playoffs this season is it going to hurt prospects or make them better?

I'd rather see Hoffman, DaCosta, Petersson, etc develop with Lehner in net, than McKenna. Simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
Most of you have to be kidding just a little. Lehner was playing out of his mind good at the beginning of the season and had no support. I suppose it is kind of like Andy up here. Lehner has had some bad luck, but he has had no set backs. If he was playing when his team was healthy and had new editions, Lehner would be the starter right now. The entire bingo team has a championship hangover, they also lost a lot of key players over the summer. The D, is different, forwards are different. It was almost like KK had to start all over again. Lehner would do fine in the AHL and fine here. Don't let losses mislead any of you.

The difference between McKenna and Lehner? McKenna has played more games in the NHL, other than that Lehner has far more potential and will do far better in the long run than McKenna. This comparison right now is pretty ridiculous.

I'd call Lehner up in a second and trade Auld for another 6th rnd pick to let our scouts draft another future top 6 foward or top 4 D man.
Lehner had a few good games, and a few really bad ones. I wouldn't go out of the way to say he was "playing out of his mind good". Selective hearing.

Quote:
That is why I would call Lehner up. Let McKenna carry Bingo and develop the teams best prospects in a winning atmosphere down there. Let Lehner back up Anderson, I trust the kid to do well for us as a back up at this point. Auld just doesn't have it. If our system was Montreal (Martin) system then I could see Auld doing okay. Lehner is used to run and gun from Bingo last season.
Wrong, we, Bingo, can't win with just McKenna. You're last statement is kind silly. Are you actually suggestion that we can yo-yo a prospect? Wouldn't some stability go a long way?

Old
01-10-2012, 08:10 AM
HSF

Auld is a good goalie just inconsistant which is true for most backups

i hope we dont tire out Andy and give Auld a couple of games on the raod trip

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
While I agree he did prove himself, that doesn't mean he's ready to tender in the NHL. Can he probably be a good back up to Anderson, sure, he probably could. The real question is why? Like I said, this season was suppose to be a bust anyways. This is typical HFBoards nonsense to rush to a conclusion with the prospects. The goal should be long term, not short term thinking. If we "sell the farm" to make the playoffs this season is it going to hurt prospects or make them better?

I'd rather see Hoffman, DaCosta, Petersson, etc develop with Lehner in net, than McKenna. Simple.
I don't think Lehner is at the point where the is nothing to learn in the AHL or there isn't any benefit in him playing a large number of games in Bingo. I do think that goalies specifically can learn the game as a back up in the NHL through practice and facing NHL shooters each and every day, especially after the kind of success Lehner has had to this point.

It's not a "rushing" him to the NHL thing, that's wrong on so many levels. It's a "where is the best place for him" thing. Where will he learn the most and where will he develop the best? After this year, I think it's the NHL as a backup behind Anderson. I think both the long and short term (within the next year) benefits of having Lehner in Ottawa amount to a lot more than him playing in the AHL for another 2 seasons or more.

As long as the baby Sens are in a playoff race Lehner should be down in Bingo playing, though. If they are out of it... Lehner should be brought up and the grooming in the NHL should begin at a pace that is comfortable for him and the organization.

Old
01-10-2012, 10:56 AM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

Quote:
Lehner had a few good games, and a few really bad ones. I wouldn't go out of the way to say he was "playing out of his mind good". Selective hearing.

Wrong, we, Bingo, can't win with just McKenna. You're last statement is kind silly. Are you actually suggestion that we can yo-yo a prospect? Wouldn't some stability go a long way?

Try selective stat reading... You seem to be doing alright with McKenna and the back-up.

Old
01-10-2012, 11:23 AM
sens83

Quote:
Try selective stat reading... You seem to be doing alright with McKenna and the back-up.
The "back-up", Stewart, hasn't logged any ice time this season. There is a reason for that...

Old
01-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Alaskimo
Pesky Pesky...

Quote:
McKenna is the only one playing, with Lehner coming in here and there, generally between injuries and suspensions at this point. I doubt Stewart has played more than a game, if that, but I could be mistaken there so if anyone would care to enlighten me, please do.
Honestly, not to discredit Lehner's good games, but at this point his season is kind of a wash... by the time he can get back in and(read as if) he can find a rhythm again the season will be nearly over. Should Bingo find themselves headed for a playoff appearance it will be thanks to McKenna on the back end, BUT just like with Anderson, Mike McKenna will burn out if he has to carry the load all year. At least for this year, Auld is the better choice to be Ottawa's back-up, Lehner can make his case again next year.

Alaskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:55 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

As long as Auld is in Ottawa Lehner will remain in Bingo in my opinion. Should Murray trade Auld (again) at the deadline then I expect Lehner will be called up to Ottawa.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote