HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Webs/Suts Rose Ceremony - All Ryan Suter/Shea Weber FA talk

View Poll Results: Do you think that we should trade Ryan Suter at the deadline?
Yes, we need to get something for him rather than nothing. 18 30.51%
No, he's more valuable than any return that we would get for him. 41 69.49%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-09-2012, 02:31 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

vCash: 500
The Webs/Suts Rose Ceremony - All Ryan Suter/Shea Weber FA talk

Not since the 2006 season have we been at such a crossroads for the Preds. Leopold pulls the trigger on Forsberg knowing he’s gonna sell the team if we don’t make a deep run in the Playoffs. Sort of an “all-in” moment. We had a top-notch goalie in Vokoun, two greats in Kariya and Forsberg, a young gunslinger in Rads, a maturing Webs and Suts playing 2nd line defense to Kimmo, a budding power forward in Harts, and a seasoned 2nd line in Sully, Arnie, and JP. We thought we were set for now, and years to come.
Well, we went one-and-done, followed by the reality of the ownership change and the salary dump that followed. Kimmo, Harts, Upshall, Vokie, and Forsberg gone. Followed by Kariya and Rads back to mother Russia. We fight for our franchise lives and ultimately win. We rebuild, make the playoffs, win a round, and now find ourselves with 8 straight sellouts, no more talk to leaving, the highest paid goalie in the NHL, and the most elite D-pairing in the league. We’re on a 96 point pace, with the feeling we’re a better team in March than we’ve been in the first half. That coupled with a backdrop of success in last year’s playoffs, could bode well for a deeper playoff run.
The cloud causing the crossroads are the contracts for Webs and Suts. 2012 is much different than 2007. Ownership has opened the wallet. Pekka is a rich man. They’re willing to pay up to keep Webs and Suts in Smashville. The drama is talking a unique turn. Beginning with Suter, committing to the Preds with a long term contract now requires certification that the Preds can win a Cup. This seems to involve proof the DP will sign a Top 6 forward and sign Weber. For Weber, having slightly less leverage due to his RFA status, wants to see Suter and a Top 6 forward signed. They both need to believe the Preds can win a Cup because it’s not just about the money. They’ve won medals, now they want Cups.
If Suter first, then Weber, don’t sign, it’ll be because they don’t think the Preds are good enough to win the Cup. They will be passing judgment on their team, our team. Poile will not accept the tight-fisted role that would make it easy for Suts/Webs to bolt. He’s saying, and so far doing, all the right things. As a fan, I’m starting to get slightly irritated with having to meet Suter/Webs standards of expectations. If they reject Poile’s offer, they’re rejecting our team and our potential. They’re telling Nashville they’re too good for this team. If they leave, it’ll be 2007 all over again. Like Hartnell, Kimmo, and Vokoun, we will have lost people we’ve developed and now have to start over with Ellis and Josi. We’ll take a step back and now take a few more years to rebuild to today’s level.
I like both Suts and Webs. If they sign, all this reverses itself. Its affirmation that we’re Cup-worthy. I just resent a little that guys we gave the opportunity to become what they are, lived with their growing pains, made captains, and in this case, are willing to back up the Wells Fargo truck to pay them, would act like bachelors on a reality show and force the Preds to sweat out a Rose Ceremony to see if we’re good enough to continue our relationship. If either leave, I will be the first to boo their arses when they make their first return to Bridgestone.
If we get a rose, I take back all this pending bitterness and love ‘em for the next 7 years.
If we don't and are forced to have that awkward conversation on our way out about how they really liked us a lot but there were a few other girls (Red Wings, Rangers. Flyers, etc) they felt a "stronger connection" to, and they wish us well in the future, they can go. As Michael Corleone said to Fredo: "You are dead to me".

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:38 PM
predfan98

wow.....love it and agree..........

wanted to highlight in bold too much of what you said.

i also will be booing.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Have to agree with most of this. I know it's business, but the reality is that it isn't about money this time. This is about their relationship with Nashville. They're our leaders...and if your leaders don't believe in you who does? Who are they to demand forwards? That's Trotz' job. That's the ownership's job. That's OUR job as paying fans. It isn't the team members' jobs. Their jobs are to coalesce into a finely tuned machine using the personnel they have available, not hold the GM and the fans hostage to their demands..

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 03:28 PM
RaiderDoug

Good post.

This is the first time, IMHO, that we've really been able to be competitive in the marketplace for talent. Not UFA prices, but really, if Suter/Weber leave, it won't be because of the $$$'s.

Hartnell/Kimmo/Vokoun - when they left we were team turmoil, and with uncertain ownership - we all know we probably couldn't have afforded to keep them, and I can't fault anyone for going out and getting theirs. (I know Vokoun was traded).

At this point, if Weber/Suter leave, it would be tough to feel that it's not personal in some way.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Jarnberg

Cannot blame guys wanting to win the cup.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 04:00 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
I have been saying since this summer its ******** to blackmail the team like this. Especially if they have been vague with poile as to what will satisfy their "demands"

The problem is we are all guessing at what we think the two of them mean when they say they want to see 'commitment' to winning.

Most see it as a demand to acquire an elite winger.

Im a little more optimistic in that I think for the most part they each wanted to make sure the other two were going to be signed and that the first one to commit wasnt going to be left holding the bag...

The problem with the whole scenario remains, how realistic are their demands? How many teams have a world class goalie, two world class defensemen, and a world class forward plus a wealth of capable role players who are just as essential to a cup team?

Vancouver got the Sedins at below market value and a cap circumventing contract for Louongo or they wouldnt be able to afford all the pieces they have...

Anaheim has three elite elite forwards(four if you count Selanne) but crap else...

Detroit has Datsuyk and Zetterberg and Lidstrom, but Howard isnt yet making superstar money

tampa had to unload Richards because they had Vinny and St Louis plus they knew they had Stamkos coming...

washington had to get Vokoun for peanuts because they already had Ovie, Semin and Green..

Chicago had to dump players right and left in order to keep Toews and Kane and Keith and Seabrook... and they had to dump Campbell

point being, its TOUGH to fit in four elite players even spending to the cap, if you are still going to have the supporting cast to be any good.

I just hope Suter and Weber are being realistic... if not... as ILIILI said, they are dead to us..

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 04:05 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

(Let me preface by saying I hate that Bachelor/Bachelorette crap. Glorified staged dramas with openly sexual tie-ins.)

OK, now as far as the situation, I have been bothered for a while with this whole 'show me; no, really you HAVE to SHOW me!' tone seeming to come from Weber and Suter. Not that I am a hockey superstar, but do they think they are unique as athletes in wanting to play for a championship? Barring a drastic/freak injury, these guys got to have at least 8 solid years of NHL caliber play left in them. It just feels somewhat egotistical to refuse to sign here at least for a shorter term if they are offered equitable money by Nashville. Now, I know some will say, they have the right to refuse to sign if they don't want to. I do not dispute that. But any neutral observer that plots the trajectory of this club would agree they have built a solid prospect base now; they have improved ownership; they have improved the operations side of the franchise significantly this past year. The only thing missing is to solidify the on-ice product. If Weber and Suter essentially bluff DP and say 'make a big player move or we are outta here', then it is a self fulfilling prophecy. Because it takes two to tango. There has to be a willing partner to trade WITH. And if DP has to empty the cubbard of picks and first rate prospects, the team won't have the depth required to make that deep run. They will be one key injury from another early exit.

I really like both of these guys as dominant D men of their generation. But I am a fan of the team first and of its players second. If this game of chicken goes too far, nobody really wins except the two of them. And I (along with many other fans of the Preds) won't forget how they handle this situation.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 04:30 PM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItILoveIt View Post
Not since the 2006 season have we been at such a crossroads for the Preds. Leopold pulls the trigger on Forsberg knowing he’s gonna sell the team if we don’t make a deep run in the Playoffs. Sort of an “all-in” moment. We had a top-notch goalie in Vokoun, two greats in Kariya and Forsberg, a young gunslinger in Rads, a maturing Webs and Suts playing 2nd line defense to Kimmo, a budding power forward in Harts, and a seasoned 2nd line in Sully, Arnie, and JP. We thought we were set for now, and years to come.
Well, we went one-and-done, followed by the reality of the ownership change and the salary dump that followed. Kimmo, Harts, Upshall, Vokie, and Forsberg gone. Followed by Kariya and Rads back to mother Russia. We fight for our franchise lives and ultimately win. We rebuild, make the playoffs, win a round, and now find ourselves with 8 straight sellouts, no more talk to leaving, the highest paid goalie in the NHL, and the most elite D-pairing in the league. We’re on a 96 point pace, with the feeling we’re a better team in March than we’ve been in the first half. That coupled with a backdrop of success in last year’s playoffs, could bode well for a deeper playoff run.
The cloud causing the crossroads are the contracts for Webs and Suts. 2012 is much different than 2007. Ownership has opened the wallet. Pekka is a rich man. They’re willing to pay up to keep Webs and Suts in Smashville. The drama is talking a unique turn. Beginning with Suter, committing to the Preds with a long term contract now requires certification that the Preds can win a Cup. This seems to involve proof the DP will sign a Top 6 forward and sign Weber. For Weber, having slightly less leverage due to his RFA status, wants to see Suter and a Top 6 forward signed. They both need to believe the Preds can win a Cup because it’s not just about the money. They’ve won medals, now they want Cups.
If Suter first, then Weber, don’t sign, it’ll be because they don’t think the Preds are good enough to win the Cup. They will be passing judgment on their team, our team. Poile will not accept the tight-fisted role that would make it easy for Suts/Webs to bolt. He’s saying, and so far doing, all the right things. As a fan, I’m starting to get slightly irritated with having to meet Suter/Webs standards of expectations. If they reject Poile’s offer, they’re rejecting our team and our potential. They’re telling Nashville they’re too good for this team. If they leave, it’ll be 2007 all over again. Like Hartnell, Kimmo, and Vokoun, we will have lost people we’ve developed and now have to start over with Ellis and Josi. We’ll take a step back and now take a few more years to rebuild to today’s level.
I like both Suts and Webs. If they sign, all this reverses itself. Its affirmation that we’re Cup-worthy. I just resent a little that guys we gave the opportunity to become what they are, lived with their growing pains, made captains, and in this case, are willing to back up the Wells Fargo truck to pay them, would act like bachelors on a reality show and force the Preds to sweat out a Rose Ceremony to see if we’re good enough to continue our relationship. If either leave, I will be the first to boo their arses when they make their first return to Bridgestone.
If we get a rose, I take back all this pending bitterness and love ‘em for the next 7 years.
If we don't and are forced to have that awkward conversation on our way out about how they really liked us a lot but there were a few other girls (Red Wings, Rangers. Flyers, etc) they felt a "stronger connection" to, and they wish us well in the future, they can go. As Michael Corleone said to Fredo: "You are dead to me".
I see your point and understand it. However these two men have fullfilled their contracts with the predators and have laid it out on the ice everynight an basically put us on the map as we speak. These two have earned the rights that the NHL awards them to chose to leave if they want to. This is not about you or me but what is best for them. I would be willing to bet that everyone does what is best for them improves their life when the chance is there. I believe these two guys want to win a cup and be on a winning team as that is the ultimate goal of an NHL hockey player. You cannot blame either one of them for being careful with their future since wherever they sign they will likely end their careers there. I also do not have a problem with them letting Poile know what direction they would like to see the team go in. No one knows exactly what was said or asked for. I doubt anything was demanded because both men seem like stand up guys. I think everyone knows this team is on the brink of being a top team and if Weber, Suiter sign with Peks we have about a 5 year window to bring a Stanley down broadway. I think if the management, Poile, and Trotz play it smart and get that missing piece in Smashville it could be very fun in Smashville this spring, even better than last year.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Prederator

By all accounts they tried to get a long term deal done with Weber this past Summer and were unable to do so, and according to a number of sources, it was Rinne-type money. So that tells me that Weber will be outta-here as soon as he becomes an UFA.

And now it appears Suter isn't going to sign by the trade deadline, which means he won't sign here this Summer either.

I think Rinne signed because no goalie in his right mind could turn down a $7M X 7 year deal (no goalie is worth that IMO).

Everyone can blame players for not being loyal to a city or organization, but there appears to be a big reason these guys want outta-here. I am guessing they either don't respect that this organization (GM, Coach, Owner) can win a cup in the next few years after being part of it their whole proffessional career or they want to test the UFA waters and move on to a different city and organization. Both reasons are related.

I would like to see them stay, but they have earned the right to move on if they so desire. And if you think they owe the Nashville Predators anything, you would be wrong. Nashville is filling the seats because of them. They have provided the fans with elite defensive play night after night at a level you rarely see other places in the league. One word of caution however to Sutes and Webs; "the grass isn't always greener on the other side".

Prederator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 04:45 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth5 View Post
(Let me preface by saying I hate that Bachelor/Bachelorette crap. Glorified staged dramas with openly sexual tie-ins.)

OK, now as far as the situation, I have been bothered for a while with this whole 'show me; no, really you HAVE to SHOW me!' tone seeming to come from Weber and Suter. Not that I am a hockey superstar, but do they think they are unique as athletes in wanting to play for a championship? Barring a drastic/freak injury, these guys got to have at least 8 solid years of NHL caliber play left in them. It just feels somewhat egotistical to refuse to sign here at least for a shorter term if they are offered equitable money by Nashville. Now, I know some will say, they have the right to refuse to sign if they don't want to. I do not dispute that. But any neutral observer that plots the trajectory of this club would agree they have built a solid prospect base now; they have improved ownership; they have improved the operations side of the franchise significantly this past year. The only thing missing is to solidify the on-ice product. If Weber and Suter essentially bluff DP and say 'make a big player move or we are outta here', then it is a self fulfilling prophecy. Because it takes two to tango. There has to be a willing partner to trade WITH. And if DP has to empty the cubbard of picks and first rate prospects, the team won't have the depth required to make that deep run. They will be one key injury from another early exit.

I really like both of these guys as dominant D men of their generation. But I am a fan of the team first and of its players second. If this game of chicken goes too far, nobody really wins except the two of them. And I (along with many other fans of the Preds) won't forget how they handle this situation.
we have long memories here, and we remember the roller coaster summer. and we remember how liarpold handled things.....

how you handle yourself, is one reason vokie is loved by so many.... it wasn't his choice...

.....you don't have to say to the media, I want to stay here, if you know that you aren't going to.... that is your choice as to how you handle the situation...

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 05:12 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Paul Kariya ... leaves to go to a "contender" ... gets his $6mil per payday ... never sees the playoffs again.

The facts that Poile is admitting all that is left is for Suter to sign and this comes after Suter's agent was reportedly in serious negotiations with Poile lead me to believe he hasn't decided to leave. A deal in principal is the easy part ... in depth negotiations come when working out the details about bonuses, pay per year, etc.

We'll see how it plays out.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 05:23 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
at least we're passing the pinnacle of Erat's contract.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

This is make or break for David Poile. I still have to believe both are signed, AND we improve this team.

01-09-2012, 07:28 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
we have long memories here, and we remember the roller coaster summer. and we remember how liarpold handled things.....

how you handle yourself, is one reason vokie is loved by so many.... it wasn't his choice...

.....you don't have to say to the media, I want to stay here, if you know that you aren't going to.... that is your choice as to how you handle the situation...
Exactly, predfan98, you see what I was getting at.
If you really want to play for the highest bidder and do not have confidence that your current team is serious about building a perennial contender, you don't have to come out and say, 'its all about a cup, I don't see it happening.' But on the other hand, nobody held a gun to your head to say you wanted to stay and believed in the organization. You can't expect fans to respect you when you talk out of both sides of your moutn like that.

Old
01-09-2012, 07:32 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
This is make or break for David Poile. I still have to believe both are signed, AND we improve this team.
I agree DP has to make a a real effort to build his team AND put a competitive offer on the table, but if a player chooses to go elsewhere (or never really intended to stay) after all that, what more is DP supposed to do?

Old
01-09-2012, 08:09 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
I agree DP has to make a a real effort to build his team AND put a competitive offer on the table, but if a player chooses to go elsewhere (or never really intended to stay) after all that, what more is DP supposed to do?
Gauge the situation, and if it's looking doubtful that he will sign, trade him for peak value. Especially a star player like Suter... we can not afford to let him walk for nothing.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 08:13 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Gauge the situation, and if it's looking doubtful that he will sign, trade him for peak value. Especially a star player like Suter... we can not afford to let him walk for nothing.
That type of trade probably doesn't happen until after the playoffs unless the team completely tanks between now and late Feb.

Old
01-09-2012, 08:55 PM
RaiderDoug

The funny thing is, if Suter/Weber are looking for more offensive help, really, all they have to do is wait a little.

Would it be that strange to see a line of Wilson/Smith turn into force, night in and night out, with Ellis running the PP, and the offensive possibilities of guys like Watson, Beck, Latta, etc. Add in what's possible if we can get Radulov back, and we could be pretty dangerous offensively pretty quick.

And honestly, looking over the NHL, I don't see alot of teams that have the combination of NHL offensive talent and the cap room to add an 8-million dollar defender.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
But I am a fan of the team first and of its players second. If this game of chicken goes too far, nobody really wins except the two of them. And I (along with many other fans of the Preds) won't forget how they handle this situation.

this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
I see your point and understand it. However these two men have fullfilled their contracts with the predators and have laid it out on the ice everynight an basically put us on the map as we speak. These two have earned the rights that the NHL awards them to chose to leave if they want to. This is not about you or me but what is best for them. I would be willing to bet that everyone does what is best for them improves their life when the chance is there. I believe these two guys want to win a cup and be on a winning team as that is the ultimate goal of an NHL hockey player. You cannot blame either one of them for being careful with their future since wherever they sign they will likely end their careers there. I also do not have a problem with them letting Poile know what direction they would like to see the team go in. No one knows exactly what was said or asked for. I doubt anything was demanded because both men seem like stand up guys. I think everyone knows this team is on the brink of being a top team and if Weber, Suiter sign with Peks we have about a 5 year window to bring a Stanley down broadway. I think if the management, Poile, and Trotz play it smart and get that missing piece in Smashville it could be very fun in Smashville this spring, even better than last year.

So much wrong with this post.

Guess you don't remember the 06/07 team, or the first playoff team in 03/04? Those teams put the Nashville Predators on the map. This team was here before suter and weber and they'll be here after.

5 years will not be the end of their careers.

Last edited by Nitrous Mafia: 01-09-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:12 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
this.

Guess you don't remember the 06/07 team, or the first playoff team in 03/04? Those teams put the Nashville Predators on the map. This team was here before suter and weber and they'll be here after.

Fix your second quote ... it's giving credit to the wrong person.

Old
01-09-2012, 09:14 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

This ain't your father's pro sports era.

01-10-2012, 12:22 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post

This ain't your father's pro sports era.
Very true. I believe Weber is gone when he gets a chance. I do think Suter would stay though if say we brought in a Parise.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 12:35 AM
token grinder

I am at the point, well let me preface with saying I think both will re-sign here.

but I am of the opinion of if David Poile has agreed to a contract with him in terms of money and years, it is on whether suter wants to be here or not. if he does, great. nashville is an awesome city. If he wants to leave, that is fine too. I do not blame him at all. He will have given his best to the org. and fulfilled his contract to its fullest extent.

Now the flip side, Poile has a decision to make. he can hit 21 or bust. The thrill of the playoff chase leads me to think he will roll with suter and let the chips fall where they may. and I can't fault him for that either. maybe a deep run could change his mind. maybe a deep run gives poile the flexibility to, if Suter leaves, and we can afford 4 6 million or more players, to sign 2 very good talents. this will always be a competitive team under this regime. just depends on what personel we have to roll with.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 07:22 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Token brings up a very good point. If suter leaves, poile will have around 7 million dollars that was earmarked for him to find a suitable replacement. Of course it won't be ryan suter, but playing with the rest of our d and rinne, it could be good enough, and probably have money left over to shop for a forward

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:51 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
this.

Yeah common sense says they were on the map as a team. This team has never had the respect and attention it currently has. Show me 06/07-03/04 were we had more respect, followers, attention. Lets see proof on wins/loses and local support numbers.
I guess you forgot this team was almost gone during the times you mentioned.

I never said careers were over after 5 years. I said that imo webs/suts/peks are in their prime and the team with all the pieces has a window to capitalize and that window imo is 5 years. You think we have a better shot with Webs/Suts/Peks in their late 30's?
Ill be waiting for the "correct post"

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote