HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobby Ryan from Anaheim (Jim Matheson, Edmonton Journal)

Old
01-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Which is why I say bite the bullet this season, pray Pronger is back for the playoffs however unlikely that may be, and explore our options once the dust settles.

If Bryz or Bob gets hot we have the offense and defensive unit to compete with and beat anyone. While we don't have the defense to force ourselves to a championship at the moment, we're definitely top 10 in the NHL.

Let's ride it and see where it takes us without anymore drastic decisions.
Without Pronger are defensive is extremely soft. We need to upgrade for a physical dman that can clear the porch. We also need a dman to help reduce the minutes of Kimmo for the playoffs. I can guarantee the Flyers are aiming for a Stanley Cup. They are gonna upgrade the d soon especially if they play soft like they have in the last couple of games. They really have too. Not right now, they will give Gus a shot when he heals up, but I definitely think they go get a shut down guy that will cost a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

I don't want to rely on a goalie to get hot, I want this team to be capable of winning even when the goalie isn't having his best night, which we haven't had yet this season.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:30 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
As much as I would like to have Weber, he isn't moving. They are in the middle of the playoff pack right now. I could see Weber moving at the draft or sometime before that, but not until the season is over.
i'm not implying any specific time that we should put a package together for him. obviously nashville is in a playoff position, and wouldn't in their right minds look to trade weber right now. maybe you take that voracek and a first package into the draft and trade for him then. that part is irrelevant. the fact of the matter is, we COULD use that package as a starting point for weber. when that could occur is a different story.

i'd much rather wait until the offseason and try and put a package together for Weber, than sacrifice the possibility of making a trade like that in the future by giving away valuable assets for a player we dont really need right now.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Kaktus*

Hartnell Giroux Jagr
JVR/Voracek Briere Ryan
Read Schenn Simmonds
Rinaldo Couturier Talbot

Trade either player for Ryan. I actually would not mind trading JVR. I do not know if he is injured or what's his problem. JVR does not look like 4.5M a year player to me. I do no tknow why homer signed him to such a contract.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 03:12 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Hartnell Giroux Jagr
JVR/Voracek Briere Ryan
Read Schenn Simmonds
Rinaldo Couturier Talbot

Trade either player for Ryan. I actually would not mind trading JVR. I do not know if he is injured or what's his problem. JVR does not look like 4.5M a year player to me. I do no tknow why homer signed him to such a contract.
If JVR doesn't look worth 1.65m/year to the point where you don't trust him making 4.50m/year next year, then you're REALLY going to hate Ryan, who is playing worse than JVR, at 5.10m/year.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 04:31 PM
Larry44

Quote:
If JVR doesn't look worth 1.65m/year to the point where you don't trust him making 4.50m/year next year, then you're REALLY going to hate Ryan, who is playing worse than JVR, at 5.10m/year.
This. I've watched a few Anaheim games recently, and I swear I had a vision of Pavel Brendl when I saw Ryan. Not impressed, not ready to part with a good, talented hard working player for him at that price, never mind a couple of them and some picks. Let someone else waste their assets on Ryan.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
They way JVR is playing this year he is not worth 1.65M. Plus you know exactly what I meant. Call me when JVR crushes someone with heavy body check. Or gets in somebodys face. Guy plays like a ***** cat. I mean come on

2nd you do not even know how Ryan is playing right now. You do not watch Ducks. It's ok to be a homer but you always over do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
This. I've watched a few Anaheim games recently, and I swear I had a vision of Pavel Brendl when I saw Ryan. Not impressed, not ready to part with a good, talented hard working player for him at that price, never mind a couple of them and some picks. Let someone else waste their assets on Ryan.
loled.

Old
01-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
They way JVR is playing this year he is not worth 1.65M. Plus you know exactly what I meant. Call me when JVR crushes someone with heavy body check. Or gets in somebodys face. Guy plays like a ***** cat. I mean come on

2nd you do not even know how Ryan is playing right now. You do not watch Ducks. It's ok to be a homer but you always over do it.

loled.

He had a bit of a skirmish with a guy named Carkner in front of the Ottawa net in the home and home. Baby steps, JVR's gonna be a big time player and has just as much upside as Ryan IMO.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 04:57 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
So this makes you think of Pavel Brendl, eh? Well... to each their own... I respectfully disagree.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
He had a bit of a skirmish with a guy named Carkner in front of the Ottawa net in the home and home. Baby steps, JVR's gonna be a big time player and has just as much upside as Ryan IMO.
Well, I hope so.

I know if Flyers put Ryan in the slot he will score some goals while pushing people around.

Old
01-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Well, I hope so.

I know if Flyers put Ryan in the slot he will score some goals while pushing people around.

He's not doing it much this year but I get where you're coming from. You simply underestimate how much you're going to lose to get him.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 05:17 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

shoulda, woulda, coulda, but we made our forward moves last summer, got bryz and we need to shore up this defense that has not been what it was supposed to be. injuries suck.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Moving a struggling 50-point forward for a struggling 60-point forward and tossing in a young, top 3 defenseman for ***** and giggles is uniquely stupid.
Exactly. I do like Bobby's game better than JVR's at this point in their careers. But if we are going in that direction as far as quality of players leaving here. Then it would have to be for a stud D-Man coming back. I hope that Homer cools his jets as far as a blockbuster deal(unless we get a offer we cannot refuse) goes. I still say we can get a good defensemen for a pick and a prospect. There is no need to tear up this line-up. Homer has put something together here that has the looks of something special. I am really impressed with all the young talent he has assembled. Plus the next two drafts with all the early picks the future looks very bright. It is just a dam shame about our Captain. But to back to your point again. We do not need forwards, we need defencemen.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
ight 30 goals season He's not doing it much this year but I get where you're coming from.
You have a point. No argument from me. After 3-4 straight 30 goals season he still on pace to score 30 yet again playing against top D in the league. Unlike JVR. Put 1st paring on JVR, will he be able to drive to the net like he did against Boston for more then 4 games?
Quote:
You simply underestimate how much you're going to lose to get him.
Probably am.

At least you acknowledged that Ryan is a good player and not Pavel Brendl

Old
01-09-2012, 05:27 PM
WeekendAtBernies

I would love to have Bobby Ryan here. I feel like being that he's a hometown boy, he would play 110% every night for us. I also feel like he'd be pretty much the perfect future captain of our team.

In addition, he's an ideal player to pair w/ Giroux long-term.

In terms of what I'd be willing to give up, it's Voracek+. No involvement of JVR.

JVR undoubtedly has the higher ceiling and while I love Voracek, I don't ever see him being more than a 25-50-75 guy @ his absolute best w/ the perfect sniper paired w/ him. Unfortunately, we don't have that sniper on this team. JVR is a potential 40-40 guy and when he's actually healthy, he showed signs of reaching that ceiling. I keep going back to the fact that he had 8 goals, 16 points in his first 19 games before going on injured reserve. And as is (playing injured), he has 11 goals, 11 assists in 35 games to Voracek's 6 goals, 20 assists in 40 games.

JVR has also been showing signs of that domination in recent games since being paired w/ Schenn. He had 2 goals versus the Blackhawks, then drew 2 penalties versus the Senators (should've been 3, but a high stick went uncalled). He has his jump back now.

I feel like giving up JVR for Ryan is basically trading JVR for what JVR will be in another year or two (in terms of stats... their style of play is a bit different). Trading Voracek on the other hand is an actual upgrade.

I also love the idea of Ryan b/c I feel like he'd sign a long-term extension at a big discount to remain a Flyer for life, since it has always been his dream to play here.

Trade for Ryan, make him captain when Pronger is done, and lock him up for life.

Old
01-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
So this makes you think of Pavel Brendl, eh? Well... to each their own... I respectfully disagree.

I am not a huge fan of Bobby's. But I agree. Pavel Brendl he is not!

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
I would love to have Bobby Ryan here. I feel like being that he's a hometown boy, he would play 110% every night for us. I also feel like he'd be pretty much the perfect future captain of our team.

In addition, he's an ideal player to pair w/ Giroux long-term.

In terms of what I'd be willing to give up, it's Voracek+. No involvement of JVR.

JVR undoubtedly has the higher ceiling and while I love Voracek, I don't ever see him being more than a 25-50-75 guy @ his absolute best w/ the perfect sniper paired w/ him. Unfortunately, we don't have that sniper on this team. JVR is a potential 40-40 guy and when he's actually healthy, he showed signs of reaching that ceiling. I keep going back to the fact that he had 8 goals, 16 points in his first 19 games before going on injured reserve. And as is (playing injured), he has 11 goals, 11 assists in 35 games to Voracek's 6 goals, 20 assists in 40 games.

JVR has also been showing signs of that domination in recent games since being paired w/ Schenn. He had 2 goals versus the Blackhawks, then drew 2 penalties versus the Senators (should've been 3, but a high stick went uncalled). He has his jump back now.

I feel like giving up JVR for Ryan is basically trading JVR for what JVR will be in another year or two (in terms of stats... their style of play is a bit different). Trading Voracek on the other hand is an actual upgrade.

I also love the idea of Ryan b/c I feel like he'd sign a long-term extension at a big discount to remain a Flyer for life, since it has always been his dream to play here.

Trade for Ryan, make him captain when Pronger is done, and lock him up for life.
What in the......

If Claude Giroux is here long term, I am almost positive he will be the captain of the Flyers

Old
01-09-2012, 05:47 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
They way JVR is playing this year he is not worth 1.65M.
30 NHL teams would say you're a liar.

Quote:
Plus you know exactly what I meant. Call me when JVR crushes someone with heavy body check. Or gets in somebodys face. Guy plays like a ***** cat. I mean come on
I care about results and value, not how often some dude gets in another dude's face.

By your argumentation, Shelley at 1.10m is better than JVR at 1.65m.

Quote:
I know he's played poorly enough to have gone from organizational savior to trade fodder. Even your much hated JVR hasn't reached such drastic lows because the Flyers organization remains still very much committed to him.

And I'm glad you called me a homer. It clarifies one thing for me; you're far more interested in getting a player you like (Ryan) and getting rid of a player you don't like (JVR) that you've completely forsaken logic itself to get at your ends.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 05:47 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
What in the......

If Claude Giroux is here long term, I am almost positive he will be the captain of the Flyers
No slight to Giroux... he's just not the captain type for Philadelphia IMO.

He has a personality like Richards, kind of quiet leadership and he's not really comfortable w/ the media. I don't want him "thrown to the wolves". Gagne was a stud for us for forever and he always wore the "A"... I'd like to see the same thing w/ Giroux. Unless Giroux really wants it and asks for it. If he's OK w/ being just the star player, then I don't want to put the burden of the "C" on him. If he tells the coach he wants it or w/e, then fine give it to him.

Old
01-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Brozgalov

Quote:
No slight to Giroux... he's just not the captain type for Philadelphia IMO.

He has a personality like Richards, kind of quiet leadership and he's not really comfortable w/ the media. I don't want him "thrown to the wolves". Gagne was a stud for us for forever and he always wore the "A"... I'd like to see the same thing w/ Giroux. Unless Giroux really wants it and asks for it. If he's OK w/ being just the star player, then I don't want to put the burden of the "C" on him. If he tells the coach he wants it or w/e, then fine give it to him.
Agree completely. I don't want his growth hampered by giving him the C. I honestly think it ruined Richards play putting all that pressure on him.

As for Ryan... I know we don't need another forward right now, but I think we should go for it. The thing is... We have Giroux, Briere, Schenn and Couturier at center. One of them needs to go as far as I am concerned and I love the idea of having Couturier on this team in the future. You can argue that Briere will be gone in a few years, but that isn't good enough for me. I want the centers to be Giroux, Schenn, Couturier but the likelyhood of that happening is slim to none. Trade Schenn+ to ANA for Bobby Ryan, as they need to fill the center role on their 2nd line. Schenn is perfect for them. Couturier gets 3rd line duties and Ryan gets the chance of a lifetime to play for his hometown team. I am sorry but you do what it takes to get a guy like that on your team. His game will go up 100% if he arrived here today.

That being said, I know we need Dmen... I just can't stop thinking about how dominant Ryan would be in a Flyers jersey... would be sick!

Brozgalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 06:09 PM
Prongo
Beer

I don't know how Giroux would be "hampered" by the C. The guy is a competitor. You have to know he is a leader in the locker room. In 24/7 after the flyers lost and waited for the hand shake at the end, Giroux was the one who said **** it lets go. The team followed him. I have never seen this uncomfortable or uneasiness with the media either. He has always been good with the media.

Giroux is everything you want in a captain, just not right now. He will be a the captain of the Flyers one day. I would bet a ton of money on it, if I was a betting man(Oh! I am haha) But there isn't any bet for it lol.

Old
01-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
30 NHL teams would say you're a liar.
I care about results and value, not how often some dude gets in another dude's face.
By your argumentation, Shelley at 1.10m is better than JVR at 1.65m.
No, but he is a soft player. Being a big JVR fan I am surprised you do not know that.
and if you care about Results Ryan gets it done while JVR is still trying to get there
Quote:
I know he's played poorly enough to have gone from organizational savior to trade fodder. Even your much hated JVR hasn't reached such drastic lows because the Flyers organization remains still very much committed to him.
I do not hate JVR, I like Ryan. Flyers organization is also very much committed to Shelley too lol.
Quote:
And I'm glad you called me a homer. It clarifies one thing for me; you're far more interested in getting a player you like (Ryan) and getting rid of a player you don' t like (JVR) that you've completely forsaken logic itself to get at your ends.
I did not say I do not like JVR. I said Ryan is a better player. I will continue to say that. Ok?

Last edited by Kaktus*: 01-09-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old
01-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Codith

Everyone who seems to get the C goes to ****, either their play or injuries. Last player I want with that curse is G.

Bobby Ryan has been heating up lately, and id love to have him and would swap JVR for him, but right now the trade focus has to be on D.

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 06:29 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

i would not at all be surprised if sean couturier is the captain of this team sometime in the next 2 or 3 years.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 06:48 PM
cheesesteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
i would not at all be surprised if sean couturier is the captain of this team sometime in the next 2 or 3 years.

cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkFlyerFan View Post
So trade him and create an instant hole on defense and hope you can go find a replacement close to his level and oh yeah probably have to give another roster player to get it done.
I wouldn't want them to do that either honestly. The group of forwards are fine as is. No need to screw with it.
Strongly agree with this. People seem to think that building a real team is like EA sports. With your #1 dman already out, why would you open another hole on the blueline for an upgrade on the wing, which is already a major strength of the club.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote