HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Healey, Simpson, Hughson

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2011, 08:52 PM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

vCash: 500
I love this myth that's forever perpetuated that Leaf fans want only "rainbows and sunshine" out of the broadcasters. This isn't Boston and Jack Edwards, but if you can't see that Glenn Healy is incapable of being objective in regards to the Leafs, then I have nothing else to say to you.

Old
12-11-2011, 12:13 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish your Czech View Post
just sent a message saying to keep Hughson and Simpson as broadcasters of the Leafs. I find them very good. I told them that Healy is too negative in general, so I'm not a big fan of his, and would rather have Kevin Weekes broadcasting Leaf games.
No worries, they won't be part of the Leafs broadcast crew when the current contract with CBC expires.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
Old
01-08-2012, 06:57 PM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

I just congratuated CBC for taking Healy off of atleast one of the Leafs Sat night games. Hope they keep it this way.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:30 PM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Simpson is the biggest tool on the broadcast, unless of course Healey's on

Once Detroit tied it at 3's he couldn't get off his description of the goal(and the Leafs errors on the play) until 3 minutes later when Lupul scored the eventual game winner and then lamented the fact that Detroit let the Leafs back in. What a total jerk!

the best was Friedman's "you have had to have a brain for that" retort to Healy.....man what a line, I thought Healy was going to get up and walk off, can't wait till Milbury comes back and cow's that twerp into silence

Old
01-08-2012, 08:37 PM
BlackBirRd5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
You guys do realize that CBC and Healy for that matter are fully aware of how much people hate him (especially Leaf fans). That's why they keep him on TV, he's like the antagonist to us fans. He gets us going and gets us talking about CBC's broadcast. They want to give their broadcast a bit of an edge and they use Healy's antagonistic qualities to get that edge. Healy's not going anywhere anytime soon.
This is exactly it.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:40 PM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Not much on air talent on CBC, Marek left for Snet, Neale is doing Buffalo games, TSN has stolen the best from CBC, it's a pretty bad bunch they have over there. Dean Brown is the best PBP guy IMO, Friedman has always been good where ever he has been, Cherry and Maclean are stalwarts. Other than that, can't say I like their hockey broadcast team.TSN beats them every day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

Old
01-09-2012, 05:22 AM
Gike Bagpipe
Haemorrhaging syrup

I agree.
Healy always turns into a "HOF" goalie when describing why a Leaf goalie has allowed a goal.
" he shoulda did this" or "he did this wrong" WTF glen, it's not like your sawchuk, bower or plante so why should you be allowed the ability to condemn another goalie when your own ability wouldn't allow you to make that save? Jackass. Listening to these idiots every Saturday, i look like this by the third......

Old
01-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Jatt

bring.him.back.

Old
01-09-2012, 09:21 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caius Merlyn View Post
I don't disagree with the Healey part.

Furthermore I respect your dislike based on the rest of the crew making the game "boring or annoying"

However most of the "fans" slagging the HNIC crew just can't stand that they aren't all sunshine and rainbows when talking about the Leafs.

d'you mean like Fox News is objective about the Dems

Old
01-09-2012, 09:52 AM
bshaw

i dont get the hate for simpson hughson..i like them...theyre no bob cole harry neele combo but they aint bad..people will probably be like wtf why do you liek them just like i say wtf why do you like ray ferraro, hes terrible and cannot speak when hes in directly in front of a camera

Old
01-09-2012, 09:56 AM
Jazz Jackrabbit

Hughson and Simpson are great. Healey blows.

Old
01-09-2012, 10:11 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

i sent in my complaint, but does anyone ever get a response. i didn't.

Old
01-09-2012, 10:21 AM
ThreeHundred

NBC and that's it for me
CDN hockey broadcasting has no characters other than Don Cherry. Kelly Hrudey isn't bad either

Old
01-09-2012, 10:23 AM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 1005
The tone in Hughson's voice when the Leafs won the game was one of sadness. I am sure he cried himself to sleep Saturday night. Both he and Simpson were obviously bias. "Monster with the save" while for Detroit's goaltender is was "miraculous save"

Sure Detroit carried the play for most of the game after the Leafs made it 3-0. Leafs were caught sitting back and protecting the lead but even when Leafs were up 3-1 and they made is sound like they were losing.

Moaning on and on how Detroit players would win the Art Ross trophy, but they sacrifice personal goals for the team. Well Detroit could have used some personal goals from Datsyuk Sat night.

Old
01-09-2012, 10:31 AM
ThreeHundred

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
The tone in Hughson's voice when the Leafs won the game was one of sadness. I am sure he cried himself to sleep Saturday night. Both he and Simpson were obviously bias. "Monster with the save" while for Detroit's goaltender is was "miraculous save"

Sure Detroit carried the play for most of the game after the Leafs made it 3-0. Leafs were caught sitting back and protecting the lead but even when Leafs were up 3-1 and they made is sound like they were losing.

Moaning on and on how Detroit players would win the Art Ross trophy, but they sacrifice personal goals for the team. Well Detroit could have used some personal goals from Datsyuk Sat night.
Honestly, he put me to sleep! HNIC isn't the same from the days of Bob Cole, Harry Neal, the old HNIC song

Old
01-09-2012, 11:25 AM
bunjay

Healy is equally sarcastic towards every team when they're playing poorly. Far more annoying than him is the constant complaining on here about him. He gives plenty of praise when it's warranted, but more criticism. I'm really not sure what his unspectacular career has to do with his colour commentary.

I remember one game where he commented that Reimer in the warm up was getting beaten constantly high glove side, and then the other team started scoring in that same spot. And people were *****ing ENDLESSLY about it, when in fact it was a really astute observation that the non homer would find quite interesting.

Old
01-09-2012, 11:27 AM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

One guy that really needs a bigger profile on TV is Nick Kypreos, he's knowledgable, has good sources, is entertaining, and has one thing that CBC lacks with the exception of Cherry. Charisma. Not sure why he is still toiling for sportsnet in the same role he has had since joining the media side. He would be a great addition to CBC Sat night games between benches, or even as the colour man.

Old
01-09-2012, 11:30 AM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
One guy that really needs a bigger profile on TV is Nick Kypreos, he's knowledgable, has good sources, is entertaining, and has one thing that CBC lacks with the exception of Cherry. Charisma. Not sure why he is still toiling for sportsnet in the same role he has had since joining the media side. He would be a great addition to CBC Sat night games between benches, or even as the colour man.
I always thought Hrudey had a lot of understated charisma, he's my favourite guy working for CBC. It's too bad he only does the late games.

Old
01-09-2012, 11:48 AM
ThreeHundred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I agree. Kypreos, Cherry, Hrudey

Old
01-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Gike Bagpipe
Haemorrhaging syrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
Healy is equally sarcastic towards every team when they're playing poorly. Far more annoying than him is the constant complaining on here about him. He gives plenty of praise when it's warranted, but more criticism. I'm really not sure what his unspectacular career has to do with his colour commentary.
I really don't know what games your watching buddy or if the feed back east and what's out west are 2 different things but everytime I watch he seems to relentlessly attack everything Toronto. If they (toronto) score a goal, he'll describe that during the goal that Lupul wasn't in a good defensive position to go back the other way. Or telling viewers why this team won't make the playoffs. A little tact would go along way. I think he's mad the leafs didn't re-sign him back in the day.

As far as the "unspectacular career" goes it just makes criticism a little easier to hear when your listening to a competent source, like if you are sick you wouldn't go to your dentist to ask about chest pains or your GP about your absess of your molar.
Glen Healy was an NHL goalie, not a Superstar, a stud or a HOFer but a plug who at one time got on a REALLY hot run and help his team during the playoffs. TBH I think that Raycroft was a better goalie.

Old
01-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Gardiner Expressway

Sent in a complaint. Great thread, hopefully it gets others to formally voice their complaints too

Old
01-09-2012, 04:56 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmythesMinions View Post
I really don't know what games your watching buddy or if the feed back east and what's out west are 2 different things but everytime I watch he seems to relentlessly attack everything Toronto. If they (toronto) score a goal, he'll describe that during the goal that Lupul wasn't in a good defensive position to go back the other way. Or telling viewers why this team won't make the playoffs. A little tact would go along way. I think he's mad the leafs didn't re-sign him back in the day.

As far as the "unspectacular career" goes it just makes criticism a little easier to hear when your listening to a competent source, like if you are sick you wouldn't go to your dentist to ask about chest pains or your GP about your absess of your molar.
Glen Healy was an NHL goalie, not a Superstar, a stud or a HOFer but a plug who at one time got on a REALLY hot run and help his team during the playoffs. TBH I think that Raycroft was a better goalie.
yup. Watching the second game of a double header (a western game not involving the Leafs), and out of the blue Healy says while describing a shot on goal... "What was he thinking, you just don't score from there....unless you are playing the Leafs."

Old
01-09-2012, 05:36 PM
The Mauve Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post

That was the worst game I have ever heard from Hughson. He was going on and on about just how perfect Detroit is, and was acting like the Wings had a 5-0 lead over the Leafs near the end of the second period.

"The Leafs still have a chance to get to the intermission with a lead." Uh, Jim, the Leafs have a 3-2 lead heading into the intermission!

Old
01-09-2012, 06:00 PM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmythesMinions View Post

I watch the same broadcast as everyone else. I wish Healy was less sarcastic, but sometimes it's funny. The whining reached a fever pitch here over the past 2-3 years. I'm just not nearly as ******** about the fact that Healy was harsh on a team that deserved the criticism. The Leafs were terrible. He's given a lot of praise this year to Lupul and Kessel, to Phaneuf at the beginning of the year when he was playing really well, to Gustavsson over his last 10 game stretch. And he's also been highly critical of our PK because, guess what, it's warranted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mauve Avenger View Post
That was the worst game I have ever heard from Hughson. He was going on and on about just how perfect Detroit is, and was acting like the Wings had a 5-0 lead over the Leafs near the end of the second period.

"The Leafs still have a chance to get to the intermission with a lead." Uh, Jim, the Leafs have a 3-2 lead heading into the intermission!
Sorry bud but when you get outshot 12-2 and the score goes from 3-0 to 3-2, that comment is completely appropriate.

Old
01-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Egg McCraig

This thread could be used in a textbook about persecution complex. Hughson is fine, Simpson is fine, Healy is terrible but that is mostly because he is dumb and makes terrible comments rather than any anti-Leaf bias, this thread is insane.

Closed Thread