HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Bobby Ryan from Anaheim (Jim Matheson, Edmonton Journal)

Old
01-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Amateur Hour

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
No slight to Giroux... he's just not the captain type for Philadelphia IMO.

He has a personality like Richards, kind of quiet leadership and he's not really comfortable w/ the media. I don't want him "thrown to the wolves". Gagne was a stud for us for forever and he always wore the "A"... I'd like to see the same thing w/ Giroux. Unless Giroux really wants it and asks for it. If he's OK w/ being just the star player, then I don't want to put the burden of the "C" on him. If he tells the coach he wants it or w/e, then fine give it to him.
This is idiotic. You don't think Giroux is captain material but in another post you say Bobby Ryan is? Is Bobby Ryan even a leader on his team? What do you know about him in that capacity? Isn't he known as a prima donna type? Yet you'd want to heap the added pressure of being captain of his hometown team -- with this media atmosphere? Also, what exactly is captain type for Philadelphia? I keep seeing posters write it, but no one explains what they think that is. Captain material, to me, is someone who leads by example every shift but also can get vocal and inspire his teammates that way when needed (think about what G said on the bench after the Hawks tied it up 4-4). I also think G's not as awkward in public or with the media as some people proclaim. He never seems to get perturbed, whereas with Richards you could always tell he kind of resented the reporters talking to him.

Oh, and Giroux does NOT have a personality like Richards, unless you mean they're both naturally quiet and not the necessarily the most comfortable in front of microphones. At heart, it always seemed like Richards had a lot of d-bag in him... not so with Giroux. From people I know who have met and hung out with him, they say he's just as humble and unassuming in person as he is in interviews. The stories I've heard about Richards, on the other hand, are a little less flattering.

Anyway, G for captain. He'll be fine with the weighty responsibility, and he'll rise to the occasion. Just like he always has. That is all.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 08:36 PM
NewYorkFlyerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
This is idiotic. You don't think Giroux is captain material but in another post you say Bobby Ryan is? Is Bobby Ryan even a leader on his team? What do you know about him in that capacity? Isn't he known as a prima donna type? Yet you'd want to heap the added pressure of being captain of his hometown team -- with this media atmosphere? Also, what exactly is captain type for Philadelphia? I keep seeing posters write it, but no one explains what they think that is. Captain material, to me, is someone who leads by example every shift but also can get vocal and inspire his teammates that way when needed (think about what G said on the bench after the Hawks tied it up 4-4). I also think G's not as awkward in public or with the media as some people proclaim. He never seems to get perturbed, whereas with Richards you could always tell he kind of resented the reporters talking to him.

Oh, and Giroux does NOT have a personality like Richards, unless you mean they're both naturally quiet and not the necessarily the most comfortable in front of microphones. At heart, it always seemed like Richards had a lot of d-bag in him... not so with Giroux. From people I know who have met and hung out with him, they say he's just as humble and unassuming in person as he is in interviews. The stories I've heard about Richards, on the other hand, are a little less flattering.

Anyway, G for captain. He'll be fine with the weighty responsibility, and he'll rise to the occasion. Just like he always has. That is all.
This.

In my opinion Richards problem wasn't the "C" it was the $$$$$$.

NewYorkFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 08:41 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
i would not at all be surprised if sean couturier is the captain of this team sometime in the next 2 or 3 years.
Less than zero chance.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 08:43 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Less than zero chance.
disagree, but you're entitled to your opinion

nevertheless

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 08:53 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post

When I said G is like Richards, I meant exactly what you said.. that he isn't always comfortable / natural in front of the microphones and is more quiet / reserved.

That's where the similarities end. G is a great guy and a great team leader, unlike Richards. I just think that for better or worse, our captain needs to know how to deal w/ the media and I don't think that's one of G's strong-suits. I look @ G alot like a Timonen or a Briere... a "behind the scenes" leader. I want him to concentrate on his game and flourish. I don't want him dealing w/ the Timmy P's of the world after he has a bad game or w/e. Giroux should ALWAYS have an "A"... but I'd prefer if he didn't have the "C", unless he really feels he needs/wants it or his teammates want him to have it.

Personally, I don't think players care near as much about the "C" as we do as fans and as much as the media does. Having a "C" on your chest doesn't make you the undisputed leader of the team. It just means you're responsible for a whole hell of a lot of PR and for giving quotes to scum like Timmy P.

So like I said, I'm not sure if G would even want the "C". The reason why I liked Bobby Ryan for the "C" is because he's really outgoing, has a great personality, is one of the leaders of the Ducks (even if he doesn't wear the "C") and was one of the leaders of Team USA too. And being a local boy, it'd be a great story for the media to eat up.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 08:53 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
disagree, but you're entitled to your opinion

nevertheless
No offense to Couturier, but that would be a pretty bad call by the organization. Briere may still be here at that point. Giroux will be here. JVR will be here. Talbot will be here. Coburn will be here. Pronger may be back (hopefully). Couturier may be the captain some time down the line, but certainly not before his ELC expires. You don't have to give the C to someone because they are a good player, or even your best player. It goes (or should go) to the best leader. If the organization doesn't feel Giroux is ready (and Pronger is gone) I'd put my money on Briere or Timonen if they are still playing. If not them I'd say Talbot gets it.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:49 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
i would not at all be surprised if sean couturier is the captain of this team sometime in the next 2 or 3 years.
I do not see that happening at all. Here is a list of players I assume have a better shot (in the next 2-3 years, not knocking is long term potential):

-Timonen (praying he Selannes every year and that he's never...tehe...Finnished)
-Pronger (if he's not dead)
-Briere
-Giroux (tied with Briere for most likely in 2-3 years)
-Jagr (again, praying he Selannes)
-Talbot
-Coburn
-Hartnell

To a less extent, Mesz, Simmonds and JVR.

I don't think he has any chance of being the C in 2-3 years unless the entire team blows up and Giroux dies.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:46 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
I do not see that happening at all. Here is a list of players I assume have a better shot (in the next 2-3 years, not knocking is long term potential):

-Timonen (praying he Selannes every year and that he's never...tehe...Finnished)
-Pronger (if he's not dead)
-Briere
-Giroux (tied with Briere for most likely in 2-3 years)
-Jagr (again, praying he Selannes)
-Talbot
-Coburn
-Hartnell

To a less extent, Mesz, Simmonds and JVR.

I don't think he has any chance of being the C in 2-3 years unless the entire team blows up and Giroux dies.
maybe 2-3 years is a stretch, but i can definitely see him being captain at some point in his career.

also, i would never make coburn, meszaros or jvr captains, now or in the future. hell, i wouldn't even make briere captain.

if the c is given to someone else right now, it would be a mistake to give it to anyone by timonen.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:54 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
When I said G is like Richards, I meant exactly what you said.. that he isn't always comfortable / natural in front of the microphones and is more quiet / reserved.

That's where the similarities end. G is a great guy and a great team leader, unlike Richards. I just think that for better or worse, our captain needs to know how to deal w/ the media and I don't think that's one of G's strong-suits. I look @ G alot like a Timonen or a Briere... a "behind the scenes" leader. I want him to concentrate on his game and flourish. I don't want him dealing w/ the Timmy P's of the world after he has a bad game or w/e. Giroux should ALWAYS have an "A"... but I'd prefer if he didn't have the "C", unless he really feels he needs/wants it or his teammates want him to have it.

Personally, I don't think players care near as much about the "C" as we do as fans and as much as the media does. Having a "C" on your chest doesn't make you the undisputed leader of the team. It just means you're responsible for a whole hell of a lot of PR and for giving quotes to scum like Timmy P.

So like I said, I'm not sure if G would even want the "C". The reason why I liked Bobby Ryan for the "C" is because he's really outgoing, has a great personality, is one of the leaders of the Ducks (even if he doesn't wear the "C") and was one of the leaders of Team USA too. And being a local boy, it'd be a great story for the media to eat up.
I understand what your trying to say but I strongly disagree with it. The bold part is what I definitely disagree with. You say Giroux is just like Kimmo and briere, and don't think he is captain material. Briere and Kimmo are the two players that are being mentioned the most with Pronger when the captaincy was available and now that he is out. So if giroux is just like them wouldn't that definitely make him a contender for the captaincy?

I said before that the C wouldn't burden Giroux. Like others have said he is down to earth and humble. He is a fierce competitor and give his all. The media has never been a problem with Giroux either. I haven't seen an interview where he was frustrated or not happy with the media. I feel like the kid always has a smile on when he is off the ice. He is a leader of the team, and I wouldn't mind giving him the captaincy two years from now after Kimmo retires(I think Kimmo gets it if Pronger is done)

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:56 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
maybe 2-3 years is a stretch, but i can definitely see him being captain at some point in his career.

also, i would never make coburn, meszaros or jvr captains, now or in the future. hell, i wouldn't even make briere captain.

if the c is given to someone else right now, it would be a mistake to give it to anyone by timonen.

We are in accordance regarding Timonen. Hell, I thought he should have been captain after Smith left, didn't think for a second Pronger should have gotten it over him, either, to be honest (know I'm in the minority here).

I could see Briere being the captain for a few years to bridge the gap from now to Giroux, which I think is inevitable frankly.

I see no reason why Coburn couldn't have some form of captaincy down the line. Mesz to a much lesser extent and JVR to a 1% extent. Notice I did not say Carle though haha. I was just naming people I think had a better shot in 2-3 years, that's my only criteria. Otherwise Schenn and possibly Read would make the list.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:46 PM
FLYERSxGIROUX28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post
Ryan for Marshall + Wellwood + a 3rd round
you're reaching for straws here. massive underpayment from us to ana. will need more than our "reach" prospects.

FLYERSxGIROUX28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Prongo
Beer

https://twitter.com/#!/helenenothele...35814779789314

Quote:
Ducks GM Bob Murray is going East on a scouting trip. Anyone want to estimate number of rumors that will fly after he shows up somewhere?
https://twitter.com/#!/helenenothele...36213670690817

Quote:
was told nothing is going on trade-wise for Ducks. but Murray's appearance will start (or intensify) lots of rumors, no doubt..
Although nothing seems imminent, Murray is definitely starting to look around to see what is available and who he could want in a trade. Rumors will start to swirl!

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
https://twitter.com/#!/helenenothele...35814779789314

https://twitter.com/#!/helenenothele...36213670690817

Although nothing seems imminent, Murray is definitely starting to look around to see what is available and who he could want in a trade. Rumors will start to swirl!
I hope he looks at Varacek or JVR or Read

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 09:48 AM
SilkyMitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
I hope he looks at Varacek or JVR or Read
why voracek or read? they are both inexpensive and voracek is showing some good signs of improvement. i am hoping they extend him.

SilkyMitts is offline   Reply With Quote