HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexander Avtsin potential

Old
08-29-2011, 09:09 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Instead of bashing Avstin, why doesn't someone compare his stats to other 19 year olds in the league.
I think Avtsin is the only one from the 09 draft who played a full season in the AHL this year.

Bergfors got 40 points his year after going drafted but he was a highly touted first rounder, and his stats when down in the next two years in the AHL.

Voynov went right to the AHL after being drafted also as an early second rounder, got 23 points in 61 games.

Grachev went to the AHL for his 19 year old season, and got 28 points, and played 22 more games than Avtsin did. Kind of strange considering how large a ***** HF has for him.

Andrei Loktionov went to the AHL his 19 year old season, got 24 points in 29 games. He made the NHL this year for a stretch though, and likely has had injury issues to play so few games and both levels.

Jonathan Carlsson(swede Blackhawks pick) played 19 games in the AHL his 19 year old season and had 1 point and got demoted to the ECHL.

Maksim Mayorov played 71 games his 19 year old season in the AHL and got 31 points.

I'd keep going but I am lazy, basically most 19 year olds don't dominate but some do. Most of them haven't had their growth stunted by playing in the AHL early. In fact with the LA King duo I'd say it helped them both tremendously.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 09:22 AM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I don't think he handles the AHL last year, I think it was obvios that he couldn't handle playing withmen in the KHL either.
I think youre being ridiculous. Its either a failed attempt at trolling, or simply a lack of judgement when it comes to hockey.

He had 9 points in 30 games, with an injured wrist. At 18. Against men. With 7 minutes a game. Its actually pretty decent. Just compare it to Maxim Trunev, who is older, has 3 seasons in the KHL under his belt, and still cant put up 9 points. Actually, take a look at the KHL, and find me a young player who puts up a PPG.

Quote:
If the coaches say that I'm not ready yet, no problem - I'll play in the AHL. I'll learn the North American game....
Quote:
Tomas Plekanec spent three or four season in Hamilton and now he's one of the leaders of the team. Also Mike Cammalleri played until he was 23 for farm teams, then they gave him a chance. Everyone has his time, and who's ready to wait will get his way
He knows our team, he knows our players, hes interested, he knows what he needs to do, hes 6'3 200- Thats the update on the Russian website, a year ago. We're looking at a 6'3, 215 pound right winger who likes to shoot- To me, hes more than a fringe prospect.

Im not going to deny it, I like to hype him. Hes one of my fav prospects. Around 22, I see him getting his first shot with the Canadiens.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 10:41 AM
macavoy

Matt,

Thx for doing that research, can you say how those players are fairing in the NHL so far or how old they are now and their impact with their respective teams?

I would do it if I could get to a computer.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 11:01 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
He's an expert

Seriously though I can see why he's concerned. Andrei was a top pick this guy isn't so one has to question why he wasn't one versus Andrei who was.

I do agree though it's too soon to say.
The russian factor wasn't a big problem abck then.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 01:08 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Matt,

Thx for doing that research, can you say how those players are fairing in the NHL so far or how old they are now and their impact with their respective teams?

I would do it if I could get to a computer.
They are all incredibly young. How they are faring in the NHL is kind of irrelevant.

They would all probably get a TBD grade.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 05:22 PM
AJMHABS
#31 for Vezina

How far from the NHL is Avtsin?

Like the title says, how many more years would he need in the A in order to get a spot on the Habs in the future? What does he need to work on in order to develop properly and become a solid player for us?

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 05:29 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

On the last year of his deal is the first time he'll be even close to the NHL. He needs all this season and next in the AHL to work on his game unless he has a Subban-like development curve where he just improves at an insane rate and forces a call-up. Honestly the best thing for his development would just be to feed him minutes, but it seems our AHL coaches aren't doing that so he's going to have to "earn" those minutes over superstars such as Mike Blunden and Brian Willsie.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 05:30 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
Like the title says, how many more years would he need in the A in order to get a spot on the Habs in the future? What does he need to work on in order to develop properly and become a solid player for us?
He needs to become more solid defensively, that's for sure. He has surprised me with his physical play in the pre-season, though.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 05:31 PM
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!

There's no doubting he's got the talent and possibly top-6 potential, from what I've heard, he just needs to get it all together along with improving his defensive game. I'd stay if he were to fulfill his potential, he's still 2-3 years away.

TheHabMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 05:41 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

2 more seasons if he improves at a decent pace. There's always the russian factor, but hopefully he's determined.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Beakermania*

Needs at least this season and half of next year, and thats a best case scenario.

End of next season is more realistic.

He has a lot to work on.

Also of note.... because he was 19 years old last year, his contract was subject to the slide rule. He is under contract for this season + 2 more.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

This is a pivotal year for him...last year his play was quite erratic and he got a free pass because he was 19 playing AHl and getting used to NA and smaller rinks...this year he needs to show consistency, put up some numbers(45-50 points minimum) and show improved defensive play as well as other "small things".

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Potential is through the roof.... 1st line material. Using the hf ranking system, I'd rate him 7.5D

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 06:59 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Potential is through the roof.... 1st line material. Using the hf ranking system, I'd rate him 7.5D
8.5E

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Agreed... huge boom or bust potential in this kid. Supremely talented offensively, the questions are defense and hockey sense.

Old
10-11-2011, 07:36 PM
S Bah

I'd say its only a matter of time and when they take the kid gloves off he will open everybody's eyes.Lots of uber-talented players didn't know squat about defence case in point Guy Lafleur took him three years and he started at 20,that was the draft age then.This kid hasn't turned 20 yet,so quit bashing the kid.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I'd say its only a matter of time and when they take the kid gloves off he will open everybody's eyes.Lots of uber-talented players didn't know squat about defence case in point Guy Lafleur took him three years and he started at 20,that was the draft age then.This kid hasn't turned 20 yet,so quit bashing the kid.
If thats directed at me, I'm not bashing him. I'm stating facts.

1) Fact: He has huge offensive potential. His offensive skills 1 on 1, his stickhandling, his passing, his shot are off the charts. He could develop into a first line NHL player.

2) Fact: He needs to develop better hockey sense to use the skills listed above in a team based game. For all the skills he has, the production hasn't been there, yet. Its an area that needs to improve before he'll make the show.

3) Fact: His defensive game needs a lot of work.

Can he do it? The potential is there and I really hope he can succeed in strengthening the areas that need work. Like many 20 year olds, there are areas of his game that need improvement.

Thats not bashing him, thats just an aknowledgement of where he is in his development.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-12-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old
10-12-2011, 07:11 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Defense you can fix...but this year he needs to show up as a factor each night and start turning his "practise" skills into something that brings production(offense, goals, assists...) in games.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:21 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
Since we are only 1 game into the season it's impossible to say how far away he is, as we'll need to see what kind of progress he's made from last season. Based off last season I would say he's far away as he wouldn't last very long with JM as a coach as he's so raw without the puck.

But he looked solid in preseason, so we'll see if that carries over to a full season with the Dogs. The first game he wasn't very noticeable at all, which was par the course for him last season but we'll see if he picks it up over time. If he picks it up quickly perhaps he could be an injury replacement if not late this year then next but based off what I saw last year I'd say he's a couple years away from that, so we'll see how it goes for him.

He's got to work harder without the puck, standing around the redline while the puck is in your end won't fly, improve his defensive play and positioning, be more consistent, get more involved physically. These were the issues last year, no there's no excuses, get it done or get passed on the depth chart as Gallagher and Kristo should be pros next season so this season will be a big one for him to show what he can do.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:52 AM
Russian Spy

hmm

there was a talk about 19-y old putting big numbers in KHL

just compare Avtsin and this http://www.khl.ru/stat/leaders/202/g/

it's a table of top goal-scorers this season Vladimir Tarasenko (Blues prospect) 15gp 9goals 9assist he is 19years 10months old he's tearing up KHL his goals usualy got into top of the week

Evgeny Kuznetsov(WSH cap) 19 years 5months old 16gp 9p (8g+1a)

these are elite talents, if Avtsin stayed in KHL i'm 95% sure he won't put up these numbers and won't crach top 6 line on his team like these guys did.

also about Saprykin and Perezhogin they are not busts at all

i watch Saprykin's game very close he plays for my home town team and i highly doubt that Avtsin would develop in that kind of player

Oleg has 11p in 15g he plays under new coach his line partners changed but he's doing well so far

and Alex Perezhogin is second in points on his team his 10p in 16g is two times bigger than Frolov's (ex LA kings and NYR) who's 16g and 5 p.

also i have to notice that since Avtsin left KHL, the league became more competitive.so it would be even harder for him to make some impact here.also i watch AHL games sometimes (mostly cos of Russians playing there) and i fail to understand how AHL is tougher and better league than KHL, cos i watch KHL regulary and some Euro leagues too and after NHL(Which is number one obviously) KHL is the most entertaiment to watch and most skilled league around.

Russian Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:46 AM
habitue*

Avstin ?

back in Russia and will play in the KHL next year.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Mr Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Avstin ?

what? source?

Or is that a prediction?

Mr Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:08 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rogers View Post
what? source?

Or is that a prediction?
He is Alexander Avtsin.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:13 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Avstin ?

If you read the post above, you'd realize that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Spy View Post
so it would be even harder for him to make some impact here.(KHL)

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:29 PM
Felix Perreault

How di you rate his season so far ? He start put up points and I think he will improve a lot his game in the next month.

Felix Perreault is offline   Reply With Quote