HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jacques Martin- Newest Scout for Habs

Old
01-10-2012, 08:32 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 50
Scouting Siberia?

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 08:42 AM
habsjunkie2*

vCash: 500
I don't like it. Instead of moving on and creating a new management group, we just keep shuffling the deck. I'm sure Geoff Molson likes it though. He's getting paid, might as well have him work for it, right Geoff?

I'm tired of this organization from the top on down. I like Cunneyworth and the players, the rest I can't stand, including owner****.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 08:45 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Lol what's the big fuss? Its never a bad idea having another set of eyes scouting, its not like Timmins is going to be like "omg Jacques likes this guy we need to take him first round", at the end of the day Timmins is calling most of the shots in the draft and as much as I hated the guy as a coach he's been around hockey for decades so theres nothing wrong with adding him as another scout.

Last edited by Andrighetto Fabolous: 01-10-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

What's with all the rage. He's a scout. Not a head scout, not a GM, no even a head of a scouting region. Another set of eyes never hurts and he is already getting paid. Give me a reason to be upset at the decision and I will, but he hasn't done anything yet.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:02 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I don't like it. Instead of moving on and creating a new management group, we just keep shuffling the deck. I'm sure Geoff Molson likes it though. He's getting paid, might as well have him work for it, right Geoff?

I'm tired of this organization from the top on down. I like Cunneyworth and the players, the rest I can't stand, including owner****.
Sounds like you're more interested in an ideal, that of fresh personnel (lets not consider a simple scouting position as management lol) then the idea of efficiency and reality.
it's very probable that the pro hockey community is not that large and that most teams keep "shuffling the deck", like most other domains in this world.
i don't know the motives nor do i know the outcome. All i know is JM has experience, and that's always good for something. Being negative at this point just exposes personal vendettas certain people have for having had to watch "so much boring hockey" over last 2 years.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:06 AM
Habs

Doesn't make any sense, as his on-ice evaluation of talent doesn't inspire much confidence in this decision.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:14 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJN79 View Post
Does he get an additional salary as a scout since he got fired?
No. Same salary. He wasn't "fired" per se. He was relieved of his functions as coach. I'm not totally sure how it works, but he probably had to accept another position in the Habs organization in order to touch the rest of his salary. Legally speaking, if he didn't accept, he would only be permitted to touch a portion of his salary. The Habs could essentially repudiate the contract by saying that Jacques has a duty to mitigate his damages and find another job elsewhere. Of course he would probably not be able to find a job making $4M a year or whatever ridiculous number he's making so the Habs would have to pay him his salary minus what he could potentially get elsewhere.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:23 AM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

The hate for that guy is way over the top.

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:23 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
Sounds like you're more interested in an ideal, that of fresh personnel (lets not consider a simple scouting position as management lol) then the idea of efficiency and reality.
it's very probable that the pro hockey community is not that large and that most teams keep "shuffling the deck", like most other domains in this world.
i don't know the motives nor do i know the outcome. All i know is JM has experience, and that's always good for something. Being negative at this point just exposes personal vendettas certain people have for having had to watch "so much boring hockey" over last 2 years.
I don't have any personal vendetta against JM. I think he was fired unfairly and inappropriately, but he was fired for being out of touch and losing too many games, this whole habs regime has been terrible, we need a fresh start and the only way to get that start is to disassociate all the current brass from the team, including JM. His style, his coaching and the players he finds attractive are my concerns, and the fact this boys club never changes, we just move the chairs around the deck until we sink. They all need to go, not just JM.

We don't need help finding Mathieu Darche/Tommy Pyatt/ Scott Gomez, there are plenty of these players that nobody wants. We don't need JM helping us find them.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:26 AM
domdo345

There's a really good chance that we are sellers at the deadline. The more scouts the better if we are looking to get the upperhand. And it is obvious that Martin will be an NHL scout. Gauthier's plan is probably to put Martin in a development role since he preaches work ethic and good off ice behavior. I think it is a sage decision.

domdo345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Andy

If it makes you guys feel any better, when JM was GM of Florida, he wanted Giroux(while he was still a prospect) for Bouwmeester. So maybe he has an eye for talent.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:51 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Doesn't make any sense, as his on-ice evaluation of talent doesn't inspire much confidence in this decision.
Can you elaborate on that?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:53 AM
clarke19

Maybe this is JM looking to take the rest of his career in a different direction. He's been around the game for a long time and will obviously have an eye for talent. Lets wait and see on this, I'd be skeptical if he was given Head Scout position, but he's just an Amateur scout with a recognizable name, give it time.

clarke19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:53 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I don't have any personal vendetta against JM. I think he was fired unfairly and inappropriately, but he was fired for being out of touch and losing too many games, this whole habs regime has been terrible, we need a fresh start and the only way to get that start is to disassociate all the current brass from the team, including JM. His style, his coaching and the players he finds attractive are my concerns, and the fact this boys club never changes, we just move the chairs around the deck until we sink. They all need to go, not just JM.

We don't need help finding Mathieu Darche/Tommy Pyatt/ Scott Gomez, there are plenty of these players that nobody wants. We don't need JM helping us find them.
If JM was such a fan of Darche he wouldn't have been a healthy scratch in quite a few games last year. Also Pyatt would have been re-signed and not non-tendered. Gomez spent as much time in JM's doghouse as anybody.

Old
01-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Be prepare to draft some small, soft players.

I hate that. When everyone that we fired, we need to find them another post in the organisation. See Perry Pearns and Martin... It's pathetic. It's time to Gauthier to be fire.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:58 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
If it makes you guys feel any better, when JM was GM of Florida, he wanted Giroux(while he was still a prospect) for Bouwmeester. So maybe he has an eye for talent.
Dear god.. imagine how good FLA would be right now if they had Giroux?

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:59 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

LoL @ the things people complain about.

Good move by the Habs. Martin seems like a smart hockey mind.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:00 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post

I hate that. When everyone that we fired, we need to find them another post in the organisation. See Perry Pearns and Martin... It's pathetic. It's time to Gauthier to be fire.

Okay this is just getting hilarious now, the guy wasn't even hired to be the head scout yet people think he's going to change the whole way we draft? We have over 10 amateur scouts, he will have MINIMAL influence on the final decision who we draft. Just because he liked guys like Darche and Pyatt doesn't mean those are the type of players he would draft, like I mentioned earlier I hated Martin as a coach but I don't see any problem AT ALL as hiring him as an additional scout.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
LoL @ the things people complain about.

Good move by the Habs. Martin seems like a smart hockey mind.
He was so smart when he was the Panthers GM, just go ask Panthers fans.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:03 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
So because he didn't have much success as GM in Florida he isn't a good hockey mind?

Once again, LoL @ the stuff people complain about.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

What makes you think Martin likes small soft players? Do you have anything to back that up except your imagination?

Old
01-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
What were his main moves as GM?

Old
01-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Like Claude Giroux, who Martin wanted as GM of Florida?

The overreactions here are hilarious. Martin might be boring, but he lives for hockey and knows more about it than probably anyone on this board. I don't get how another expert opinion in the mix can be anything but good.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:44 AM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

Just what kind of a spell does Gauthier have on his employees? This is all too ridiculous. Do JM and RC have any dignity whatsoever? If I was RC I would have walked out the moment I was told I was interim. And for JM, if how I heard the way he was fired is true, I would have told Gauthier to **** ***. What a sad state of affairs.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Making him hang out with his buddy Pearn so that they're less bitter about their respective firings...

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote