HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Will Claude Giroux eventually become Captain of the Flyers?

View Poll Results: Giroux: Next captain?
Yes 76 81.72%
No 17 18.28%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-03-2012, 03:11 PM
CptCannon

vCash: 500
Or just roll with three A's until Pronger's contract is over?
Then have another look a the situation.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:11 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Other than his leading by example, he definitely does not strike me as a captain type.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:15 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
I dont think he'll ever be captain.
To me, he just doesnt seem like Captain material.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
Or just roll with three A's until Pronger's contract is over?
Then have another look a the situation.
If Pronger isn't playing or even near playing next year, We will name another captain.

Claude Giroux does seem like captain material also. Leading by example is a huge reason players get named captain. He also practicing hard every time(which Richards did not do). Richie did give his all on game days though and so does Giroux. The man stood up to Pronger last year, I would give him the captaincy just for that alone haha.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:54 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Seriously, guy? Jesus. How many times have you watched Giroux play? He's got one hell of a mean streak and is all heart... that screams "Flyers" to me.
Giroux can be feisty but to me the Flyers are my second favorite team and I want a captain that represent more what they are about as far as grit and intimidation and physical play. I don't want a goon but definitly a Chara/Lucic-type.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Subject Orange

Giroux has the heart, mind and strength to be captain.

That said. I don't want him to be captain. I just want him to be our star player for the next decade or so.

Subject Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 01:22 PM
s3x

One thing is for sure after watching EP4, Giroux is an absolute leader on this team -- Captain or not.

Last edited by s3x: 01-06-2012 at 01:57 PM.
s3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Top Cheese Danish

From coverage of last night's Blackhawks game:

Quote:
Peter Laviolette said it was one of his young leaders who wouldn't allow his team to fall again in such a terrible way.

"Actually the person I heard the most on the bench moving up and down outside was Giroux saying it's not going to happen again," the head coach pointed out. "Itís good when you hear your young players jumping in like that and taking charge."
Face of the Flyers franchise + the younger players seem to look up to him = he'll wear the next C, book it.

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Norm MacDonald

Maybe. Pronger is the captain now, and a lot can change until he relinquishes the title.

Norm MacDonald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:01 PM
s3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinSandwich View Post
From coverage of last night's Blackhawks game:

Face of the Flyers franchise + the younger players seem to look up to him = he'll wear the next C, book it.
This guy was born to be a hockey player. I remember watching his offseason training videos way back when he was drafted. He has always had a certain drive. Richards just used hockey as a means to enjoy life (which is fine -- but not if you're a Captain). Appointing Giroux the 'C' at a young age and comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges.

s3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Mgkibbles

I'd rather not use 24/7 as leadership evidence, but man, Giroux in episode four seemed like a future captain.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 04:16 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerPuck View Post
I dont think he'll ever be captain.
To me, he just doesnt seem like Captain material.
See, now I want to know what is "captain material" to you.

PS - You think wrong. He is most certainly going to be the next long-term captain of the Flyers. I'm surprised that this isn't unanimously considered an inevitability among fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
I'd rather not use 24/7 as leadership evidence, but man, Giroux in episode four seemed like a future captain.
Yeah, well, that's because he is. The organization knows it, too.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Ryadem

I think he'll be a future captain. He leads by example right now, but as he gains more experience I think he'll most definitely develop himself into a captain.

Ryadem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 02:04 AM
clodejirew

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
If Pronger isn't playing or even near playing next year, We will name another captain.

Claude Giroux does seem like captain material also. Leading by example is a huge reason players get named captain. He also practicing hard every time(which Richards did not do). Richie did give his all on game days though and so does Giroux. The man stood up to Pronger last year, I would give him the captaincy just for that alone haha.
when did he do that?

I agree, giroux is absolutely captain material. We can obviously see he's a huge leader on the ice and the type of game he plays should resemble flyers hockey. As fans, we obviously don't know him personally so how anybody can say he isn't "captain material", doesn't even make sense.

clodejirew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 02:53 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertsGuns View Post
when did he do that?

I agree, giroux is absolutely captain material. We can obviously see he's a huge leader on the ice and the type of game he plays should resemble flyers hockey. As fans, we obviously don't know him personally so how anybody can say he isn't "captain material", doesn't even make sense.
If it's the story I think he's (or she's) refrencing, I don't know if you could call it "standing up to Pronger". It was more "getting yelled at by Pronger" from what I remember. It was after some uninspired game where I believe they just looked like ****, and Pronger was heard yelling at someone after the game saying something along the lines of "some guys never learn!!!". It was a bit of a mystery who he was yelling at until Homer accidentally let it slip in an interview that it was Roo.

As far as Roo being captain, I'd rather not watch the same thing happen to him that happened to Richie. If he ever is named captain of the Flyers, I would hope it wouldn't be for another 5 years or so.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
If it's the story I think he's (or she's) refrencing, I don't know if you could call it "standing up to Pronger". It was more "getting yelled at by Pronger" from what I remember. It was after some uninspired game where I believe they just looked like ****, and Pronger was heard yelling at someone after the game saying something along the lines of "some guys never learn!!!". It was a bit of a mystery who he was yelling at until Homer accidentally let it slip in an interview that it was Roo.

As far as Roo being captain, I'd rather not watch the same thing happen to him that happened to Richie. If he ever is named captain of the Flyers, I would hope it wouldn't be for another 5 years or so.
If I remember correctly it was about turning the puck over too. I also remember hearing that there wasn't just one guy yelling from the locker room that day. Giroux was actually yelling back at Pronger. I like that he stood up to Pronger if those reports are true. I believe this was last year. The media wasn't allowed into the locker room quite yet and heard a lot of hollering going on.

Old
01-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Top Cheese Danish

Some Flyers fans on Twitter getting ******** over this so I thought I'd post...

From a Ville Leino interview in Finnish magazine Veikkaaja (translations by @euroflyers):

euroflyers Teemu H
"When I went to PHI, I remember thinking; 'he's a fragile young man.'" - Leino on Giroux

euroflyers Teemu H
"He's developed a lot physically & that's why he's managed to take that next step." - Ville Leino on Claude Giroux

euroflyers Teemu H
"He really wants to win & that's what makes him great. He's also shown his capability in the playoffs." - Leino on Giroux

euroflyers Teemu H
"He's a nice guy & you can't say he's not social, but he's pretty quiet." - Leino on Giroux

euroflyers Teemu H
"He's not captain material, he's a different type of leader." - Leino on Giroux

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:19 AM
pelts35.com

Given the fates of captains such as Lindros, Desjardins, Primeau and now Pronger, I wouldn't wish the C on anyone that I wanted to keep around this organization.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Prongo
Beer

^ Giroux is growing into his own.... Leino was here last year when the leaders of that room were completely different. I respect his opinion, but the locker room is changed. Maybe the clearing of Richards and Carter gives Giroux more of leadership role now.

I know the last couple of captains we had have been injuried etc... but that can't be taken into account when naming a new one haha

Old
01-10-2012, 10:38 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
^ Giroux is growing into his own.... Leino was here last year when the leaders of that room were completely different. I respect his opinion, but the locker room is changed. Maybe the clearing of Richards and Carter gives Giroux more of leadership role now.

I know the last couple of captains we had have been injuried etc... but that can't be taken into account when naming a new one haha
Last couple? I just named 4.

But, yes, you can't take that into consideration when naming a new captain.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Last couple? I just named 4.
You know what I meant haha

Old
01-10-2012, 10:43 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

I don't see why not. Captains don't need to be Blood and Guts. Most of the greats of the recent Era weren't - Sakic, Yzerman, Mario, 99, Messier, etc

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:51 PM
MsWoof

Quote:

Do the Flyers hold practices that are open to the public? I didn't know teams did this.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Do the Flyers hold practices that are open to the public? I didn't know teams did this.
Yea they are almost always open(I actually never heard of them closing one to the public). At Vorhees at 11 am I think they usually start

Old
01-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Mgkibbles

Seems like a no-brainer a few years from now.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote