HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Strong play signals Bickel sticking with Rangers

Old
01-10-2012, 10:16 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
At this point, I like Bickel's game ahead of all the other filler defensemen (Eminger, Woywitka, Straalman). Big body, plays physical, sticks up for his teammates, keeps his game very simple, and has been consistent for us.... I like Bickel and hope he sticks for at least the remainder of this season.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:17 AM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungD4 View Post
I'm curious. Now why is Staal in the 3rd pairing? Our all star defenseman
They are slowly bringing him back into the mix. The right thing to do.

Really Woywika is clearly the odd man out, and I expect waived when Emmi or Sauer comes back. My guess is with how the injuries have worked out this year, when all healthy we may see

Staal - Girardi
McD - MDZ
Sauer - Stralman
Ex, Emmi and Bickel

Jeff waived or traded with either Christ or Wolski.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Given the style of play of this team, we need to keep 8 D on the roster as much as possible. Playing time will go to whoever earns it. Chances of another injury on D at some point are high. Plus, and I can't believe I can actually say this, we might be in a situation where it will be beneficial for us to be able to sit Girardi and McDonagh down the stretch for rest.

Woywitka is our #9 and the odd man out.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:19 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I think that's a question mark now that McDonagh has taken it up.
If the question is which of Mcdonagh, Sauer or MDZ play a top 4 role, I think you make a good point. That still leaves Stralman fighting Eminger and Bickel for the #6 role.

Quote:
A 3rd pairing with Sauer on it is a deep defensive corps. It's probably something you'd hope to achieve with a deadline deal. I don't think there's any shame in keeping him in an 18 minute role until the time that there's a vacancy in the top 4.
And, honestly, another healthy dose of competition for the defensemen mentioned. One can never have too many good defensemen.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

to be totally honest here, Bickel has outplayed Staal since the 2 have been paired together. granted staal has a long way to go before he gets back to being where he was last year. being out that long, its tough.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:41 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Ruutu has a $3.8M cap hit. He's making $4.4M in salary. Rutherford will ask for a #1 pick or a top prospect in return for a rental. Ruutu will ask for a big contract in July and some team will give it to him.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:44 AM
beastly115

I'd keep Bickel over Stralman when Sauer comes back. His added toughness and willingness to stick up for his teammates makes this a no-brainer, IMO.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:45 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Ruutu has a $3.8M cap hit. He's making $4.4M in salary. Rutherford will ask for a #1 pick or a top prospect in return for a rental. Ruutu will ask for a big contract in July and some team will give it to him.
.... and Vinny Prospal just became a whole lot more desirable.

Old
01-10-2012, 10:47 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

On this subject matter, what is it about Torts & Sullivan's coaching methods that makes these defensemen so effective under their guise? What I mean is, stick Eminger/Straalman/Woywitka on other NHL rosters and I don't think you get nearly the same level of play/contributions as you're getting from these guys now.... Is it a coaching philosophy/style or gameplan that's responsible for this or is it just the chemistry of the Rangers players out on the ice? The coaching staff is really maximizing the effectiveness of our d-men and you have to love what's going on.... All of them are bringing their A game with regularity.

Old
01-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Dorado*

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungD4 View Post
I'm curious. Now why is Staal in the 3rd pairing? Our all star defenseman
Missed traning camp Not ready for the minutes . Said the other day after game 3 he is sore like training camp . Staal might not be ready for top minutes coming off his time off from physical activity for quite some time

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Pizza

This is whats making this season so damn entertaining. The Rangers keep finding guys everyone gave up on, and those guys wind up making a difference.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:40 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Ruuti's contract is not cheap. And to be honest, am in no hurry to trade away someone, who at a very early point in career, has proven themselves to be a top-4 defenseman. Erixon has to show that he can unseat Sauer before this can be a discussion.

Sauer may have had an injury history, but one cannot underestimate what he has been able to step up and do at such an early age. The strength of this team has been goaltending and defense. I am loathe to mess with that. And, as a whole, am not hot on idea of trading defensemen for forwards.

As for Erixon, until he actually shows that he is ready to step in, I am not simply giving a spot to him. Let him first make more of an impact than a Stu Bickel, and then we an start to consider whether or not he deserves a shot.
On that I like Sauer a lot. I'm not necessarily in a hurry to get rid of him. It was more of a kicking the tires comment but at the root of all of it is the thought that sooner or later we are very likely going to be facing a numbers problem and someone or two is going to have to go.

I don't see Torts carrying more than 7 healthy defensemen and if we have 8 or 9 and with Erixon still waiting in the wings--well Woywitka's a fairly easy choice which is not to say he hasn't at least played okay.

Honestly I like all of Sauer, Stralman, Bickel and Eminger. It's a funny thing to say. I can't think of one time in my 40 years of watching the Rangers that we had 7-8-9 defensemen and they were all good. And to be honest I'm not even sure we need to add another top 6 forward as we seem to have too many numbers there.

Really of all the players on the team today the only one I think I don't like is Christensen--though I see him as serviceable and I'm not sure about Wolski.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:41 AM
NYRKindms

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
On this subject matter, what is it about Torts & Sullivan's coaching methods that makes these defensemen so effective under their guise? What I mean is, stick Eminger/Straalman/Woywitka on other NHL rosters and I don't think you get nearly the same level of play/contributions as you're getting from these guys now.... Is it a coaching philosophy/style or gameplan that's responsible for this or is it just the chemistry of the Rangers players out on the ice? The coaching staff is really maximizing the effectiveness of our d-men and you have to love what's going on.... All of them are bringing their A game with regularity.
I could be very wrong but it would seem that Torts really emphasizes that the forwards get back and help out the D. That and add Hank to mop up some bad mistakes and you have what we have

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

He's been fine for us, but he's the odd man out when Sauer returns.

Stalman has opened my eyes more then Bickel has. And its not like Stralman is a wimp, he has thrown some surprising huge hits this season catching guys off guard.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 12:01 PM
eco's bones

Torts has been here a few seasons now and little by little he's widened the core of the team. It's still a young team but everybody that's been here a while knows how they fit into his niche and it's to the point that when a new player comes along whether a youngster or a vet--between Torts and the internal dynamic of the players there doesn't seem much of a problem to integrating them into the system the coaching staff has set up.

More or less this is a stable environment. The coaching staff has been the same--we're identifying and holding on to players that are deemed to be good fits. Even doing better in the free agent sweepstakes.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 12:17 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
This is whats making this season so damn entertaining. The Rangers keep finding guys everyone gave up on, and those guys wind up making a difference.
Pretty big difference from a few years ago, when the term "Sather reclamation project" was vomit inducing.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 12:19 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by APuckHog View Post
Stalman has opened my eyes more then Bickel has. And its not like Stralman is a wimp, he has thrown some surprising huge hits this season catching guys off guard.
Stralman*

Last edited by wolfgaze: 01-10-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old
01-10-2012, 12:27 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Honestly I like all of Sauer, Stralman, Bickel and Eminger.
Truly, eco, Sauer is on a different level than the rest. The realy question is the # 6/7 out of Bickel, Eminger & Stralman. For whatever reason, Bickel is the one that I currently like in a # 6 role. Off course, I reserve the right to change my opinion.

Old
01-10-2012, 12:47 PM
haveandare

Bickel and Stralman are right next to one another as far as I'm concerned. I see:

McD - Girardi
Staal - MDZ
Sauer - Stralman/Bickel

Eminger

Somebody on that top 4 is going to have to play their off side if I'm not mistaken. I think MDZ has been playing LD. But, this would be three balanced pairs, a shutdown player and a more two-way guy on each, and a solid third pair as well. Rotate Bickel/Stralman depending on who is playing better and who seems more suited for the current opponent.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 12:49 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Eminger and Stralman are better defensemen, but I'm sure his toughness will be valued over Stralman's qualities down the stretch and during the playoffs.

When everyone's healthy he's still the odd man out. Eminger was playing very very good hockey before he got injured. Better then Bickel and Stralman.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:00 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
When everyone's healthy he's still the odd man out. Eminger was playing very very good hockey before he got injured. Better then Bickel and Stralman.
I do not think it is so cut and dry. The one who is playing the best gets to be the #6defenseman. Bickel has not only not done a thing that warrants a seat on the bench, he has actually managed to open an eye or two.

Not sure that I agree that eminger was that much better than either Stralman or Bickel. Or if he was, it was not noticiably so. Right now, when Sauer comes back, one of Stralman or Bickel is going to sit. When Eminger comes back, he needs for whomever is in teh lineup, to play his way out. Much like Wolski is waiting on Mitchell to do.

Old
01-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Sean Aviary
Chirp! Chirp!

All of the Rangers D have been great this year (except Bell, who always sucked), which signals the strength of coaching and their style of play. While the organization has a lot of depth guys who look great on the Rangers, their trade value isn't equal to that because they would likely be weaker on other teams. Stralman and Woywitka both couldn't make the rosters of non-playoff teams at the start of this season.

Stralman won't have trade value unless he proves himself as a strong power play pointman.

Eminger has value as a positionally solid depth defenseman who can both mentor and cover less experienced guys. That's exactly why the Rangers have him, it's good for a team but he probably couldn't return that value in trade value.

Woywitka has played well in the Rangers system and can continue to prove himself as a capable spare and a good team guy, but he's a third pair guy at best. Good for the team, but his optimal trade value is a younger bubble player, not much more.

Bickel is a tough mother****er who everyone in the league is going to want when he beats the **** out of a Bruin in their first game this season. His name alone puts him in a class with Jeff Beukeboom and Stu Grimson.

Sean Aviary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:07 PM
dynamoovechkin

I really like Bick, pleasantly surprised at his level of play, but I think Stralman has a little more upside so he maybe has the edge there. I also like how how Bick has looked to get his shot off as a primary option.

One of the reasons we are first overall is the play of guys like Woywitka, who has been solid and not hurt us at all. Superior depth on D- who woulda thunk it?

Once Sauer comes back, it looks like a battle between Eminger, Woywitka and Bickel for who stays with the big club, although I have this sneaking suspicion that Tort's is not all that high on Stralman.

Nice problem to have, eh?

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:09 PM
rangers4ever2007

13 forwards, 8 defensemen, bye bye EC = problem solved

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Vitto79

good for Bickel but truth be told when they have their 7 NHL contract Dmen healthy both Bickel and Woywitka are going to be on waivers....I think they both clear anyways

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote