HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Why don't the Rangers play "Let's Go Team?"

Old
01-10-2012, 11:31 AM
blueshirts26

vCash: 500
I remember reading that MSG doesn't allow it. Was on some wikipedia page I think.

I don't mind Larry. He's been doing that as long as I can remember going to games (mid 90s)

blueshirts26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:45 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I believe it's because the Rangers organization is classier than the Islanders organization (happy & you know it, chicken song, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerwood93 View Post
Its not an air horn at Caps games, its some guy with a horn like a vuvuzuela. I went down to DC for a Rangers Caps game about two years ago and that's how I found out.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcs...vuvuzelas.html

check that out if you really interested.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 12:35 PM
petejudge

i don't think anybody actually gets on larry legitimately at this point, it's been going on for so damn long that the chant just seems like tradition. i'm sure larry himself doesn't mind it either and knows that 95% of the people saying it don't mean any harm.

i'm almost 100% sure the decision to not play the song was on MSG and not the league. i agree hockey's a passionate sport and the crowd is mostly grown men, but when the league is desperately trying to get new fans into the game the "inappropriate" chants and songs don't help

petejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 12:38 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
i don't think anybody actually gets on larry legitimately at this point, it's been going on for so damn long that the chant just seems like tradition. i'm sure larry himself doesn't mind it either and knows that 95% of the people saying it don't mean any harm.

i'm almost 100% sure the decision to not play the song was on MSG and not the league. i agree hockey's a passionate sport and the crowd is mostly grown men, but when the league is desperately trying to get new fans into the game the "inappropriate" chants and songs don't help
Because saying someone "sucks" is really inappropriate? You can say "*****" on basic cable, but "sucks" is inappropriate?

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 12:41 PM
blueshirts26

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
but when the league is desperately trying to get new fans into the game the "inappropriate" chants and songs don't help
I think the silly chants and weird traditions help to be honest

blueshirts26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Mr Atoz
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I'm pretty sure MSG made the decision to stop playing "Let's Go Band" and not the league. I think MSG wanted to "clean up" some of the behavior at the Garden.
That's the way I remember it.

A million years ago some Ranger fans unfurled a banner at an Islander game that read "Islanders Eat ****" and Sonny Werblin went nuts and banned all banners.

Mr Atoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:49 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Because saying someone "sucks" is really inappropriate? You can say "*****" on basic cable, but "sucks" is inappropriate?
I don't think it was the Potvin sucks chant itself that got the "signal" banned, I think it's the other chants (like beat your wife Potvin) that went along with Potvin sucks that made it easy for upper management to stop playing "let's go team."

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshirts26 View Post
I remember reading that MSG doesn't allow it. Was on some wikipedia page I think.

I don't mind Larry. He's been doing that as long as I can remember going to games (mid 90s)
Dancing Larry took over for Dancing George after the Rangers won the Stanley Cup. And for the record--the man has energy every game, no matter how dead the crowd is (like tonight).

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:10 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

hahahaha beat your wife potvin, buy a porsche hextall...good times good times. I wish lmao. Cant we at least chant universe at bryz nxt flyers??

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote