HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers Recall Magnus Paajarvi and Ryan O'Marra; Brule Claimed by PHX

Old
01-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Souray and Brule are no real losses. I'd be surprised if Brule stuck around long with Phoenix, considering what Tippet demands from his players.
Brule may just end up being more effective down in Phoenix. You never really know what dressing room is required for a particular player. I think Brule needs a perfect storm of sound veterans influencing him consistently. Guys like Doan, Whitney, that are consumate players and team first guys.

Pretty clear that Columbus didn't have the right stuff to get anything out of Brule and we didn't either. My take is that Brule was coddled here and expectations weren't consistently high. I think he just kind of floated through here and people tended to see him as a space cadet. I actually think the latter being one of the reasons he's gone.
"Oh, you burned yourself making waffles and missed 3 games in OKC." Nice story Gilbert, jebus, back in the strange box with you. Pretty sure the team just regarded him as a liability right now anywhere they put him.

No polite way to say this, so I may as well just spit it out. The guy is the org **** up. The guy in the company that ends up doing enough strange **** that people don't and won't take him seriously and that may even be the butt of inner jokes.

Just speculation but none of have any idea how bad this got in general. There was more than enough strange that leaked out and as typical we only here the tip of the iceberg of what actually went on.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:59 PM
JessikaLovejoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Atleast Paajarvi and Lander are together.. We might see something there.
I hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
What, you want him playing with Horcoff instead? Or Hordichuk and Eager?
I'd put Belanger on the 4th and ride him dead on the pk. He just wrecks any offensive chances, for both sides.

Have Lander center a line with MPS and put anyone else on the wing. Even hordichuk, sure. That will give them the opportunity to double shift Hall (I'm sure MPS wouldn't mind playing RW).

Whatever the coaches see in this pairing, it hasn't worked.

JessikaLovejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:03 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Is it better to buy out players who dont fit with the club then to keep them around. I would be hard on Tambo if they kept Souray, Brule, Nilsson burried in AHL. Why worry when its not your money. If Katz is fine then who are we to cry about paying Nilsson and Souray.
Might have something to do with getting zero return for any of them, after giving up assets to acquire them in the first place. Could be part of the reason we are where we are. Not only do the players management brought in, not work out, but we lose them for nothing and have to pay half the salary for the competition.

That's hardly a recipe for success.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:14 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Might have something to do with getting zero return for any of them, after giving up assets to acquire them in the first place. Could be part of the reason we are where we are. Not only do the players management brought in, not work out, but we lose them for nothing and have to pay half the salary for the competition.

They can ask Sheldon for a refund. And ask the islanders for Smyth

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:25 PM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
Any recap for those of us pretending to be at work?
Told Brule when he was sent down to OKC , that when he progressed to NHL ready he would bring him back up. So Tambellini said he kept his word.

Said trade talks started to heat up around the middle of december nothing on the horizon at this point for the Oilers , He is willing to listen to any offer

Smid has impressed him the most this year how competitive he has been

Injuries have forced him to bring up Petry , Teubert , etc. before they wanted

Has not let the coaching staff off the hook , with the recent injuries , expects the team to still compete

IDK something along those lines

oilers4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

we didnt give up assets.. we acquired assets in Brule and Nilsson. NYI gave up 3 solid assets for 2 months of Smyth. Imagine the board if that was us.
Brule for a struggling Torres and cap room for Souray were hardly anything we should worry about.

addition by subtraction is recipe for success. Staios, Souray, Moreau, Pisani, Nilsson etc did not belong here anymore and losing them for nothing is still a positive for the organization. When the club is healthy, losing Peckham for nothing would also make us a better team.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Soli
"Punish & Enslave"

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
Told Brule when he was sent down to OKC , that when he progressed to NHL ready he would bring him back up. So Tambellini said he kept his word.

Said trade talks started to heat up around the middle of december nothing on the horizon at this point for the Oilers , He is willing to listen to any offer

Has not let the coaching staff off the hook , with the recent injuries , expects the team to still compete

The interesting thing I took was that the plan they have for Pitlick and Hamilton is 2-3 year of AHL duty.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:53 PM
copperandblue

Quote:

Thanks for that.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:54 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
we didnt give up assets.. we acquired assets in Brule and Nilsson. NYI gave up 3 solid assets for 2 months of Smyth. Imagine the board if that was us.
Brule for a struggling Torres and cap room for Souray were hardly anything we should worry about.

addition by subtraction is recipe for success. Staios, Souray, Moreau, Pisani, Nilsson etc did not belong here anymore and losing them for nothing is still a positive for the organization. When the club is healthy, losing Peckham for nothing would also make us a better team.
How do you think we acquired those assets? lol

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:54 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Be nice for OKC to have some consistency

dustrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:55 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:

Torres and Smyth arent assets?

In what world would that be?

Make Believe Land?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:03 PM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
The interesting thing I took was that the plan they have for Pitlick and Hamilton is 2-3 year of AHL duty.
Ya that for sure I knew I missed something

Old
01-10-2012, 04:06 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Be nice for OKC to have some consistency
Unfortunately unless you are a few teams that's just not possible. When you are a feeder team in any sport this is what happens.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Rafters

Atleast losing brule opens up a contract spot ....we're we at 49 or 50.... Might help if tambo does a 2 for 1 when tHe deadline comes around

Rafters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
Atleast losing brule opens up a contract spot ....we're we at 49 or 50.... Might help if tambo does a 2 for 1 when tHe deadline comes around
Weren't we at 48 prior to losing Brule?

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:26 PM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Weren't we at 48 prior to losing Brule?
http://www.capgeek.com/reserve_lists...1&year_id=2011

48 now

Old
01-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Yeah but Marincin is on that list and he doesn't count since he was sent back to the dub.

Also does Rajala count since he's playing in Europe?

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:12 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Yeah but Marincin is on that list and he doesn't count since he was sent back to the dub.

Also does Rajala count since he's playing in Europe?
Yeah, Rajala counts.

We were at 49 contracts with Marincin sliding.

With Brule gone and Motin's contract terminated, we're at 47 now, I think.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 06:29 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

forgive me, i musta missed it....when did the Oil terminate Motin?

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 06:32 PM
OILSLICK94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Oiler View Post
Smallest top 6 in the history of the NHL. Even in 2-3 years from now do you really expect to compete with the likes of Boston, NYR, Philly for a cup?? Did you watch 24-7?
No I don't but this is what we got, unless something comes down the pipeline......

All this talk about Parise, he is just as small as our current forwards.

Need to get a prototypical Big Center (Getzlaf or Staal) both teams are struggling, but there is no way they move those two.

OILSLICK94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 06:44 PM
North

Not too upset that Brule was claimed. Most likely the Oilers wouldn't have qualified him for next season and we would have lost him for nothing anyways.

He didn't have a good year last year and he is just average in the minors this year.

Last edited by North: 01-10-2012 at 09:04 PM.
North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:04 PM
smokersarejokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
forgive me, i musta missed it....when did the Oil terminate Motin?
He went back to Sweden a couple of months ago.

smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Baronsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Unfortunately unless you are a few teams that's just not possible. When you are a feeder team in any sport this is what happens.
This is true, but not every team seem to be cursed like the Oil. Every year you can count on a mass exodus from OKC to EDM, and this is only the second season and I feel like it's a fair assumption. Don't know why they have such bad breaks when it comes to injuries.

The only good news for OKC is that they managed to get ahead of the pack before the Oil started dropping like flies. They put themselves in a position that the second half of the season might not depend on a heroic run with a subpar line-up like last season, but it's way too early for me to talk about that because a lot can change in 30-40 games.

Baronsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I'll have to wait until after the game to blow a gasket. I've supported Renney and ST for the most part, but I don't like this. If I'm ST I'm having a talk with Renney and pulling some rank. Although MPS, Lander and Belanger is a decent line it's not what MPS should be used for at this point. Maybe later in the year when he's gotten his touch back.
Bingo. In the meantime playing with a guy like Smyth would be welcomed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyaloil View Post
**** our managment team
Agreed, especially the moron's making the lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
“@NHL_Oilers: #Oilers now working on PP: 1st unit - Smyth, Horcoff, Hemsky, Hall, Potter 2nd unit - Petry, Jones, Belanger, Gagner, Paajarvi”
I'm really hoping that they give Paajarvi a chance on the 1/2 wall instead of the point.

Gagner-Jones-Paajarvi
Petry-Belanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
And Paajarvi gets screwed again. We seem determined to ruin this kid's confidence.

I swear if Belanger and Horcoff are still getting PP time over Paajarvi next game, I'm officially joining the fire Renney bandwagon.
We'll see, Renney needs to read the player correctly and try to give him a boost in confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Oiler View Post
MPS as of now is not good enough to play in the top 6 and while he should be in OKC getting those minutes, we are decimated with injuries and need him up here.
No we don't need him up here Eager could've been bumped up a line and Petrell could've played on the 4th line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
What, you want him playing with Horcoff instead? Or Hordichuk and Eager?
Horcoff and Smyth would've been better IMO.

01-11-2012, 09:07 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersarejokers View Post
He went back to Sweden a couple of months ago.
ah, thanx! poor guy, his stock kept falling and falling as each year passed.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote