HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues @ Canadiens 7:30EST 1/10/12 RDS(HD), TSN-HABS(HD)

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4life74 View Post
The good thing is we usually play up to our competition. That being said, I will make no prediction.

Everything's up in the air with Cunneyworth. Because of the structured defensive system, our typical game was a 3-2 win-loss-OT/loss whether we played against the best or the worst team in the NHL... I expect things to be different now.

Old
01-10-2012, 04:00 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
Halak vs Price 2012?

Nothing quite like finding the perfect .gif for the occasion

Price vs Halak debates are so ridiculous. Legit #1 who has to drag the rest of his team kicking-and-screaming to win vs. a goalie splitting time with Brian ****ing Elliott

Old
01-10-2012, 04:01 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Everything's up in the air with Cunneyworth. Because of the structured defensive system, our typical game was a 3-2 win-loss-OT/loss whether we played against the best or the worst team in the NHL... I expect things to be different now.
Good point. Only thing I have to say is I get the feeling Gionta is gonna have a big game.

Old
01-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Hopefully we will win the game...

Old
01-10-2012, 04:24 PM
mizzoublues29
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Yea, Halak sucks in shootouts just like Price... ah memories.
I think he forgot to mention the team has scored 1 goal in 17 attempts

Old
01-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

vCash: 50
Allahk is back.

Old
01-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Why would I factor other types of games when I'm looking at only the regular season?

But just to make you happy and not make it appear like I'm making myths.

Halak in 70 games including playoffs and olympics had .54 winning%
Price in 79 games including playoffs had .52 winning %.

I'd still take Price in this instance, because 72 regular season games is just impressive and he looks to be doing it again this season. Olympics is meh considering it doesn't make your nhl team better, considering they are played with a completely different roster against completely different teams.

Also, I still don't consider them the same because by the time Halak played his first playoff game he had played only 52 games(regular season+olympics), while Price had played 72 games by the time game 1 of the playoffs came around, so they aren't entirely comparable, which is why I still think Price's feat of 72 games in a regular season while maintaining a .52 winning% is more impressive, than a 45 game regular season with a .57 winning %. But keep saying I'm myth making because it doesn't make Halak sound as impressive as you want him to sound(that doesn't mean I think that what he did that season wasn't impressive, but that won't stop you from saying otherwise).

Also I don't see how I was myth making when the original poster you what beef with was talking about the Price's ability to have played an entire nhl season. So I compared seasons. I don't see why this is troubling for you. I guess it doesn't fit you agenda of "Price isn't that good anyway" that you've been on for three years now.
You have committed basic math errors, but that's not the biggest problem in this post. The OP said that Halak can't keep us with the same load, which has been demonstrated to be false. no agenda. No axe to grind. Basic facts.

Old
01-10-2012, 04:58 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
You have committed basic math errors, but that's not the biggest problem in this post. The OP said that Halak can't keep us with the same load, which has been demonstrated to be false. no agenda. No axe to grind. Basic facts.
Uhm sorry but no, no it has not been demonstrated. Take out the olympics for one, because that is totally irrelevant. Halak was the starter for his country by default, imagine he had to compete with Canada's big three? Price is a workhorse, there are very few goalies in the NHL who can paly 72 regular season games and have ratios over .920. I can only think of a couple right now: Price, Luongo, Brodeur(prime) and Cam Ward. What do they have in common? They are all huge and practice a hybrid butterfly style, very cool in nets, not flopping all over the place which uses a lot of energy each game.

And really? Winning % is not something to go by at all when coparing goalies Halak was barely better than Price that year in the regular season as a goalie only the team scored more than a goal a game when he was in nets. A team usually plays more firewagon hockey subconsciously when they know they have to score more than 2 in order to win a game.

Old
01-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Frankenheimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
Nothing quite like finding the perfect .gif for the occasion

Price vs Halak debates are so ridiculous. Legit #1 who has to drag the rest of his team kicking-and-screaming to win vs. a goalie splitting time with Brian ****ing Elliott
To be fair, Brian Elliot is a Vezina candidate at the moment.

Old
01-10-2012, 05:10 PM
jimmykay

As a Blues fan, I'll sheepishly poke my head in here.

Last year Halak started 57 regular season games because he broke his hand in January.

Price started 72 regular season games.

We're talking about a difference of 15 games which is probably about the amount of time he was out with his injury.

Their GAA and SV% was 2.48 /.910 and 2.35/.923 respectively.

One could argue that the Blues injuries last year made Halaks numbers suffer. So I'll consider them pretty much even after year #1.

Also, in the Blues case, it really doesnt matter right now if Halak can't handle 82 games in a row. I'm happy with him splitting time with Elliot.

Old
01-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Why call it a fact when you know it is not one.
Playing 70 games in the regular season is unique. He has not done it yet. Saying he played 40ish games during the season, then the olympics and then playoffs, does not equate it.

Old
01-10-2012, 05:14 PM
habscup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
To be fair, Brian Elliot is a Vezina candidate at the moment.
hahaha a vezina candidate wo has played only 20 games. maybe to people who don't understand goaltending.

Old
01-10-2012, 05:14 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykay View Post

Last year Halak started 57 regular season games because he broke his hand in January.

We're talking about a difference of 15 games which is probably about the amount of time he was out with his injury.

One could argue that the Blues injuries last year made Halaks numbers suffer. So I'll consider them pretty much even after year #1.

Also, in the Blues case, it really doesnt matter right now if Halak can't handle 82 games in a row. I'm happy with him splitting time with Elliot.
Bwahahahahahahaha. Are you serious? One guy got Hart nominations and the other was in the bottom 10 as far as starters go.

Old
01-10-2012, 05:17 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykay View Post

I could say the injury to Halak was a blessing, so his numbers didn't suffer as a result. Either way that is an extremely poor speculative argument. In bold are the facts you need to concern yourself with. There's no gray area here what so ever. And ps., I think we are comparing Halak's best season (his last in MTL).

..and the GTD is officially hijacked.

Old
01-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Frankenheimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by habscup View Post
hahaha a vezina candidate wo has played only 20 games. maybe to people who don't understand goaltending.
Last years vezina winner played 57 games. It's not inconceivable that Elliot would play the same amount if he continues to perform as he has, and given such statistics would make him a Vezina candidate.

Old
01-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Andy

Quote:
You have committed basic math errors, but that's not the biggest problem in this post.
Basic math errors?

Price played 72 games and won 38 of them. That is 52%.
Halak played 45 games and won 26 of them. That is 57%

Halak won 3 of 7 olympic games that is 42%.
Halak won 9 of 18 playoff games. That is 50%

Together Halak won 37 of 70 games in total that season. Which is actually 53%(the only math error I made, I though Halak won 38 games in total, but wtv, it makes his performance in winning % even less distinct than that of Price's last season)

Price played 72 regular season games. He played more regular season games than Halak played combined that season. He won 38 games, which is a 52%.

Price won 3 of 4 playoff games that season, which is 42%.

Together Price won 41 of 79 games which is 52%.

Halak won 1% more of his games, which would in the end mean(statistically) that Halak would win one more game in 100 games played over the long run.

Quote:
The OP said that Halak can't keep us with the same load, which has been demonstrated to be false. no agenda. No axe to grind. Basic facts.
No it hasn't been proven he can handle the same load. 72 regular season games is much different than a combined 70 games.

Like I said, by the time playoffs had come around, Price had played 72 games in 6 months of hockey, while Halak had played 52 games in 6 months of hockey, which is not the same at all.

Halak hasn't shown that he is able to handle the same load and that is the only fact. In the end Price played 79 games in 7 months, while halak had played 70 in 9 months of hockey. That isn't anywhere close to the same load.

So Price was playing on average 11.2 games per month, while halak had average 7.7 games per month. So no it wasn't the same load at all.

The only mythmaker in the end is you by trying to equate two entirely different seasons in terms of load.

Like I said, 72 games in a 6 month hockey season is much more impressive than 70 games spread out over 9 months.

Old
01-10-2012, 05:28 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Bwahahahahahahaha. Are you serious? One guy got Hart nominations and the other was in the bottom 10 as far as starters go.
Well, Halak is healthy this year and his numbers are identical to Carey's.

Old
01-10-2012, 05:30 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The only mythmaker in the end is you by trying to equate two entirely different seasons in terms of load.
Booya!

I also found it ironic he calls you that but tries to win his argument by including the olympics and what not.

Old
01-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

theres a guy on this thread in my Mergers & Acquisitions class right now

hi dude

Old
01-10-2012, 05:32 PM
neofury*

Guys he used to call himself JimCareyPrice. Don't bother making rational arguments It's a complete waste of time.

Old
01-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Guys he used to call himself JimCareyPrice. Don't bother making rational arguments It's a complete waste of time.
We could ask him not to ruin every thread he posts in.

Old
01-10-2012, 05:36 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Well, Halak is healthy this year and his numbers are identical to Carey's.
No, they are not identical, I think you should look that word up or something. And one team was/is in lottery position the other is sitting comfortably near the top of their conference.

Old
01-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post

hi dude
How could you know that?

Old
01-10-2012, 05:40 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
No, they are not identical, I think you should look that word up or something. And one team was/is in lottery position the other is sitting comfortably near the top of their conference.
Their stats are pretty close.

Old
01-10-2012, 05:40 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post

hi dude
Dude, you should listen to your teacher, not read dumb comments about Price/Halak

Closed Thread