HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Coyotes pick up Gilbert Brule on waivers

Old
01-10-2012, 03:10 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonasJ86 View Post
Retired :/
darn, what a waste of good hair

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Louiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Brule's contract expires after this season. We are only responsible for about 450k total. He can be sent down, but must clear waivers first.

Patrick O'Sullivan is on a two-way deal and has already been sent down.

Cal O'Reilly has a one-way deal and can be sent down, but only after clearing waivers.

Marc Pouliot has a two-way deal, and can be sent down, only after clearing waivers.

The same is true of Kyle Chipchura.
Pouliot doesnt need to clear waivers since he has already after traning camp and only 3 games plkayed after that. The reste is true.

The most logical choice will be to waive and send down O'Reilly but I dont think the Coyotes have the budget to pay a 1way contract in the minors + they gave a draft pick 2 months ago to acquire him.

Louiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Magnifique

vCash: 50
Probably better than some of the guys on our current roster. As long as Chip doesn't get pushed off the roster, I will be happy with this move.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:10 PM
JohnWayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
Well, welcome to the club.

This must be the home for 1st round busts. IIRC the first of a long line of 1st line busts was Gratton, who we picked up back in the Francis days.
Been a fan of his for a long time and I truly hope he comes to bite not only the oilers in the butt, but the Kings as well(the whole smyth fiasco) and shows why he was a number one pick

JohnWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Gwyddbwyll

I like the move - kudos to the poster that called it.

What is a bust? Not living up to high expectations of becoming an elite 1st line player or not being a NHLer?

Most 1st round picks do not live up to early expectations, I wouldnt say they are all busts.

37 points in 62 games two seasons was not too shabby and a -8 actually one of the best on that terrible team. He basically put up Sam Gagner stats.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
I know that I'm in the minority here, but I actually really liked Brule when he was playing healthy. In 2009, he was a great 3rd or 4th line center. Fast, Banging bodies, scoring on occasion. However (and I think the Kings helped to confirm this) He has Health issues that seemed to have hampered him over the last couple of years.

Hopefully, he can help you on your bottom 6 ( I think he can ). If your looking for a top 6 you'll be disappointed.

Patch101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Highmarker

I think most oiler fans, myself included really liked Brule. He's a good player and although he may not score tonnes of goals for you guys, you'll like him, little guy that hits everything and a great energy guy, who definitely has the potential to play top 6. Was really sad to see you guys picked him up.

Highmarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Builditagain*

Sober up guys,he has never scored more than 37 points,and he is always injured.Funny thing is he had his best year playing with Sully and Poo in Oil country 2 years ago.No improvement for the roster.Sorry to bust your Bubble.How about GMDM really making a deal, instead of picking up firesale specials. Or here's an idea, how about Tip playing the lineup that actually wins games.

Builditagain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:39 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelley View Post
Sober up guys,he has never scored more than 37 points,and he is always injured.Funny thing is he had his best year playing with Sully and Poo in Oil country 2 years ago.No improvement for the roster.Sorry to bust your Bubble.How about GMDM really making a deal, instead of picking up firesale specials. Or here's an idea, how about Tip playing the lineup that actually wins games.
Whoa, whoa, whoa...

Really making a deal? Who do you suggest we trade for?

Line-up that wins games? Which line-up is that?

01-10-2012, 06:26 PM
zerekstar

I know, let's try and bomb out so bad we get the next 2 or three first overall picks in the draft. Works for everyone else.

zerekstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 06:43 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Weird. I remember when a lot of posters on hf were claiming that Brule would give Crosby some competition for the 1st overall pick.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

An aquisition not even worth reading about, but I did anyway.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
What bubble are you seeing? The one around you?

Nobody is expecting much. There's a chance he could turn into a useful player like Korpikoski and costs virtually nothing to give him a tryout.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 07:18 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerekstar View Post
I know, let's try and bomb out so bad we get the next 2 or three first overall picks in the draft. Works for everyone else.
Well we are the tenth worst team in the league right now. We've only got nine teams to beat to first overall. Of course, you just know we'd lose the draft lottery. Mikhail Grigorenko is one hell of a consolation prize. Of course, that would just put the writing on the wall for a move to Quebec. We'd have to find a way to trade for Radulov, too. Haha.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 07:24 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Well we are the tenth worst team in the league right now. We've only got nine teams to beat to first overall. Of course, you just know we'd lose the draft lottery. Mikhail Grigorenko is one hell of a consolation prize. Of course, that would just put the writing on the wall for a move to Quebec. We'd have to find a way to trade for Radulov, too. Haha.
I really like what I saw from Grigo in the WJC. I heard he wasn't even 100% either, if that's true I hope like hell we find a way to draft him.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 07:36 PM
zerekstar

Quote:
So we've got a shot then?

zerekstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:15 PM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
Just see what he does - if he lives up to the potential, he is a useful pick-up. Does he shift over to wing on occasion? B/c then we did get some additional value by picking him up.

We are keeping an eye on our centers here, and seeing who we want to keep coming up to the deadline. With everyone healthy, we have Langkow, Hanzal, Gordon, Chipchura, O'Reilly, Brule, and Pouliot as our center depth. The top 3 are likely not going anywhere. Chipchura can also play at a wing position, so I think we are looking at keeping him. Pouliot has shown that he should be sticking around. So, I'd think that COR or Brule (20 other teams behind us may have been interested in claiming him) may be that piece added to a deal that could get us a little more pop at wing.

Not saying that this is the expected return, but would Rozsival, COR, and Visentin (Domingue is playing pretty well right now) for Ryan Malone and a 5th round pick be anywhere near a possibility?

BUX7PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:19 PM
BUX7PHX

^^^^

In retrospect, that deal for us may need a higher pick coming back to us in return, but I do feel like we need to make a decision on one of our young goalies at some point...

BUX7PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerekstar View Post
So we've got a shot then?
Not a good one.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:55 PM
Redcoyote
Hungry

I think our winning lineup had hanzal in it

Redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:50 PM
DesertDawg

Looks like Rundbald will be sent to Portland soon.
Wonder which roster spot will be moved when Hanzal returns (likely when the Coyotes finish their road trip)

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:14 AM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Looks like Rundbald will be sent to Portland soon.
Wonder which roster spot will be moved when Hanzal returns (likely when the Coyotes finish their road trip)
I would like to see him play one more game before he's sent down to see how much he's learned from Playfair.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Colt45Blast
Torres FTW

Considering the budget we have again GMDM should be finding more was to cut cost so we can get some real offfensive help at the deadline. Unless this guy is scoring a goal a game or around there I dont like this move.

I hope your happy Gary Bettman!!!!

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:20 AM
Scottrocks58*
Six

How did Brule look? I wasn't at the last game. Did he play on both sides of the ice? How was he defensively?

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:45 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Like a tiny Shane Doan.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote