HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The Webs/Suts Rose Ceremony - All Ryan Suter/Shea Weber FA talk

View Poll Results: Do you think that we should trade Ryan Suter at the deadline?
Yes, we need to get something for him rather than nothing. 18 30.51%
No, he's more valuable than any return that we would get for him. 41 69.49%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-10-2012, 03:21 PM
  #51
ILikeItILoveIt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
First, good post as usual ILIILI. I agree with a lot of it. Not sure how much I will resent them for leaving, but at the moment I am losing a bit of my loyalty to them because of their perceived lack of loyalty to us.

Second, what is this "rose ceremony" and "if we get a rose" stuff?
Sorry for the pop culture, reality TV, girlie-man reference to "The Rose Ceremony". On the Reality Show "The Bachelor", they gather 25 women to compete for the hand of one eligible bachelor (lets call him Ryan). Ryan meets all the girls in one place, tries to get to know them as much as possible, and then each week concludes the episode with a Rose Ceremony. The breathless ladies stand before Ryan in a group. Ryan has 15 roses for 25 women. For each girl he wants to stay on the show, he calls their name out, they come forward gushing excitment and relief, Ryan says: "will you except this rose", and she says yes, hugs him, throws her chest out, walks over to the other side of the room victorious as she survives the week. Each week, the number of roses reduces, as do the number of girls. In the finale, it's down to the two surviving women. At some exotic setting, both girls are brought to Ryan, who's waiting with the "Final Rose" and in most cases a ring. The girls don't know the order they're seeing Ryan in but the first girl comes to him hoping to get the final rose and Ryan as her soulmate, but is told by Ryan that she's special, they really had a connection, but the other girl is more special so no rose for you. She's crushed, he consoles her, she drives off, Ryan pulls himself together, wipes her lipgloss off his face, and readies himself for the same meeting with the other girl, who ultimate is offered and accepts the final Rose and the ring. They go off together as the happiest couple on the planet. One happy girl, one happy guy (Ryan), and 24 losers. The losers are usually vinticated months later when the next issue of People magazine has Ryan on the cover because he and his honey broke up.

In our little Reality show, Ryan Suter is of course "Ryan", and we're one of the finalist girls hoping he chooses us as his soulmate and gives us the Final Rose. Just like most of the girls who make it to the finals, we can't imagine Ryan not picking us. The connection is obvious. He clearly loves us. We're soulmates. He been telling us he loves us. That other girl with the red hair, lets call her "Wings", is obviously not for Ryan. She's not his type. We are. We're sure of it. No way he doesn't pick us.

And if he doesn't, it's personal. It would mean Wings was the better girl for Ryan. After all the good times and tender moments, he runs off with Wings. How could he. What does this say about us. We gave him our soul, everything, and he rejects us when he says he loves us.

So that's what's meant by the Rose Ceremony.

Ryan has every right to choose the witch. He's not married to us. But since we're willing to give Ryan everything he wants (no more detail required), if she gets the rose, Ryan is ......
DEAD TO ME.

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:22 PM
  #52
PredsChik
Registered User
 
PredsChik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Smyrna, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post

Hand us the rose, ryan........and let the thread die...
Ryan: Nashville, will you accept this rose?

Nashville: of course, I will! *bighug andkissthatmakealltheotherteamsjealousgleefullovey dovegiggling*

This thought is much more pleasing than the doom and gloom thought.

Also, Kasey from Clarksville is totally made for Ben and Courtney is a biabia. Just saying as a Bachelor watcher.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:14 PM
  #53
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short
 
Roman Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,363
vCash: 500
Looks like I missed an exciting day around here. Let me just throw in my ten cents.

If weber and suter leave, our team will take a serious hit in PR and in regards to our reputation around the league. If we can't even resign out own players, which players are going to come here. If Ryan and Shea decide that this team isn't built to win nor is committed to win, other players and fans are going to think the same thing.

It won't go back to 2003/4 levels, but it will still sink.

I will say this. If one leaves, I don't think the other is going to stick around. Weber is going to go to a Canadian team and Suter will go to a team in the Midwest or San Jose. The franchise will survive but David Poile should be fired if this happens. As a GM, its part of his job to make players want to stay, if he can't convince the cornerstones of our franchise (beside Pekka) to stay, then he will never be able to take this franchise to the next level.

I am all for trading Suter now and trying to get the max assets we can for him before or at the deadline if Suter does not want to resign here. Weber will most likely sign due to his RFA status, but I don't feel like he will want to without Suter. Suter, in my opinion, is already out the door unless Poile can somehow make the team more competitive and have a really late playoff run.


Last edited by Roman Yoshi: 01-10-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:17 PM
  #54
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 42,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItILoveIt View Post
Sorry for the pop culture, reality TV, girlie-man reference to "The Rose Ceremony". On the Reality Show "The Bachelor" :snip:
Ah ok. I have actually seen commercials for that show in the past so I'm not sure why it didn't dawn on me

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:30 PM
  #55
darth5
Rowsdower!
 
darth5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Looks like I missed an exciting day around here. Let me just throw in my ten cents.

If weber and suter leave, our team will take a serious hit in PR and in regards to our reputation around the league. If we can't even resign out own players, which players are going to come here. If Ryan and Shea decide that this team isn't built to win nor is committed to win, other players and fans are going to think the same thing.

It won't go back to 2003/4 levels, but it will still sink...
Yes, it will sting a little in reputation. Other teams have had to deal with this type of stigma before. Not to go Sheen on you, but 'Winning!' answers this in the end. If the team can get missing pieces from losing one (or, Heaven forbid, both) and rise higher in the long run than they would from players that are not committed to being the core of our team here, then so be it. The short term pain from those bad perceptions created by losing them both can be overcome if they team can climb higher. We have to take a long view if this comes about, and hope that our GM can acquire the pieces needed to do this right. Now if DP screws the pooch on getting those pieces, he deserves to lose his job.

darth5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:35 PM
  #56
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,772
vCash: 500
I love speculation and rumors and nothing solid to back it up. No one has any clue what is going on behind closed doors. We hear what we read in the papers or on the radio via interviews, beyond that, it's all speculation. We can read into what Poile, Suter, Weber and everyone else involved in the situation have to say and come to our own conclusions. Until they re-sign contracts, are traded or are lost via free agency, we won't know what's really going to happen.

There have been discussions that we could lose Rinne. Well, we re-signed him. We could lose Suter and/or Weber. It's a reality. We could also keep both of them. That's a reality. It's all conjecture.

It's a catch-22 situation on multiple levels. If we trade Suter before the deadline, we are probably mailing it in this season. Will we get decent pieces in return or what we expect, probably not. If we keep Suter, we're pushing for the playoffs. We could miss, he walks and it was all for naught. We could keep Suter, make the playoffs, make a lot of noise and he still walks. We could miss or make the playoffs and he re-signs with us.

Then there's Weber and depending on what happens with Suter and the team could dictate what happens there.

As far as I'm concerned, there are way too many variables to figure this out at this time regardless of what's written or put out there in the media.

What I'd like to see happen is for us to bring back Rads and add another top 3 talent via free agency. If that doesn't send a message to our team and every other team in the NHL, I don't know what does. It's doable money wise regardless of what people might think, especially if Poile is able to convince Weber and Suter to sign deals that are beneficial to allow this to happen, deals ala the Sedins. It can be done. Everyone has to be committed to making it work. Only time will tell if that is the case.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:51 PM
  #57
jstreet
Registered User
 
jstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,654
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
The high water mark for tickets sold per game and actual butts in the seats remains the first two seasons. Josh Cooper is failing to report the sold ticket numbers for this season so it appears that we'll just have to wait until June to find out how things are going at the box office.
This is too true. I know that I've gotten free tickets through Father Ryan at least twice this season when a sellout was announced, I know that tons of people in the section had gotten the giveaway tickets.


This thread gets my vote for Thread Of The Year.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 07:04 PM
  #58
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bowling Green, KY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
This is too true. I know that I've gotten free tickets through Father Ryan at least twice this season when a sellout was announced, I know that tons of people in the section had gotten the giveaway tickets.


This thread gets my vote for Thread Of The Year.
I've also wondered this. For Christmas, from the Preds, I got a voucher for 2 free tickets to a game. I used it last Thursday against Dallas, another sellout. I wonder if every ticket holder received these vouchers for Christmas. Also, back in November or December they were doing the whole drive an Acura and receive free tickets promotion. Was Gary Force Acura pitching in for any of these tickets or are they fully funded by the Preds since the Acura dealer has become a good sponsor lately?

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 07:06 PM
  #59
ILikeItILoveIt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsChik20 View Post
Ryan: Nashville, will you accept this rose?

Nashville: of course, I will! *bighug andkissthatmakealltheotherteamsjealousgleefullovey dovegiggling*

This thought is much more pleasing than the doom and gloom thought.

Also, Kasey from Clarksville is totally made for Ben and Courtney is a biabia. Just saying as a Bachelor watcher.
Smashville is totally made for Ryan and "Wings" is a biabia. Just sayin'

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 07:10 PM
  #60
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
This is too true. I know that I've gotten free tickets through Father Ryan at least twice this season when a sellout was announced, I know that tons of people in the section had gotten the giveaway tickets.


This thread gets my vote for Thread Of The Year.
"Giveaways" aren't always really "comps" ... some are tickets in lieu of payment ... some are a little manipulation like the buy one get one which can then be counted as 1/2 price sold tix for both ... some are group purchases which are then donated ... then there are the several hundred true comps per game.

It would be great if Cooper would go to the Sports Authority once a month and get an update, but, I'm not going to hold my breath on him doing that much.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 07:15 PM
  #61
PredsChik
Registered User
 
PredsChik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Smyrna, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 693
vCash: 500
Re: Gary Force Acura test drive tickets.

Last season the middle TN Toyota dealers did the same promotion and towards the end of it I made bank when our sales manager handed me a stack of them with the response "they've been paid for, you might as well use them." (I work in fixed ops for a Toyota dealer, not Toyota directly) I kind of guessed that the tickets were considered "bought" and "paid for" with advertising in return.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 07:28 PM
  #62
jstreet
Registered User
 
jstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,654
vCash: 50
let me clarify, someone important in the Preds office has a kid who goes to Father Ryan. My dad is a maintenance man at Father Ryan. Whoever this guy is, he has been handing out tickets to staff. I've benefitted from this a few times already this season.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 07:36 PM
  #63
L12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 9
vCash: 500
I heard on Sportsnet (Canada) back in December that Ryan's uncle was on Chicago radio or TV around the same time bragging that his nephew would be a UFA this summer and that teams should be ready or something. The guys on sportsnet were discussing Nashville's chances of resigning Weber/Suter and basically said "that's all you really need to know".

I'm hoping they go to the cap and keep they're window open. Would love to see the Preds carrying the cup around in June one of these years.

L12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 07:44 PM
  #64
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by L12 View Post
I heard on Sportsnet (Canada) back in December that Ryan's uncle was on Chicago radio or TV around the same time bragging that his nephew would be a UFA this summer and that teams should be ready or something. The guys on sportsnet were discussing Nashville's chances of resigning Weber/Suter and basically said "that's all you really need to know".

I'm hoping they go to the cap and keep they're window open. Would love to see the Preds carrying the cup around in June one of these years.
Following that statement by Gary Suter, Ryan said he hasn't talked to his uncle for a while, especially about his career and future plans.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 07:45 PM
  #65
brah
Registered User
 
brah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On Lot
Country: United States
Posts: 2,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by L12 View Post
I heard on Sportsnet (Canada) back in December that Ryan's uncle was on Chicago radio or TV around the same time bragging that his nephew would be a UFA this summer and that teams should be ready or something. The guys on sportsnet were discussing Nashville's chances of resigning Weber/Suter and basically said "that's all you really need to know".

I'm hoping they go to the cap and keep they're window open. Would love to see the Preds carrying the cup around in June one of these years.

And Suter has come out and said that he hasn't spoken to his uncle in a couple months and even longer career-wise. But who knows.

brah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 07:48 PM
  #66
Adz
Registered User
 
Adz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hermitage TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,184
vCash: 500
Back when we first did the animations for the Preds, our tickets were thrown into the deal. They counted as full price tickets because it was an exchange of goods for services.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 08:07 PM
  #67
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short
 
Roman Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,363
vCash: 500
Not going to try and argue about attendance, I don't know enough to give an educated opinion.

I will, however, say this. Any speculation on Rads returning this season is purely speculation. Honestly, if we are counting on this immature, uncommitted ego maniac to lead our team or honor his agreement, I don't think so. Whose to say the team is even going to accept him when he comes back, hell IF he comes back.

Weber and Suter, however, are a very different story. These guys are our core. We have built from the net out, and this season proves that Ellis, Blum, Josi aren't read for the big minutes. This team needs weber and Suter because they are our guys. Losing them is not acceptable. All the jeers of us being a farm team for the rest of the league or any other jab about not being able to compete with the big boys will become true.

Think about this. The owners, Poile, Trotz, etc have all said that we are committed to winning and that this team will almost be a cap team. Time to put up or shut up. Letting Weber and Suter go gives the opposite impression, no?

Now, I haven't heard this information from the greatest of sources. I am not going to lie and tell you I head it from Poile himself, but I will tell you that I have heard from a reputable source in the scouting department that Poile offered Weber a very very fair deal last summer and refused to sign. Poile's son is the one who messed up the RFA contracts, hence the reason Poile has swept the entire incident under the rug. A different source, a prominent member of the Predator's broadcasting staff that Suter has no intention of signing here unless the team improves. Now look, I am not saying these people actually know 100% what is going on, but I trust that they may know something about what is going on. Another poster on this site has heard something along the same lines.

I am sure I will get flamed for this, but that is what I have heard. Again, I can't 100% prove anything, but that is what I have been told.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 08:23 PM
  #68
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Not going to try and argue about attendance, I don't know enough to give an educated opinion.

I will, however, say this. Any speculation on Rads returning this season is purely speculation. Honestly, if we are counting on this immature, uncommitted ego maniac to lead our team or honor his agreement, I don't think so. Whose to say the team is even going to accept him when he comes back, hell IF he comes back.

Weber and Suter, however, are a very different story. These guys are our core. We have built from the net out, and this season proves that Ellis, Blum, Josi aren't read for the big minutes. This team needs weber and Suter because they are our guys. Losing them is not acceptable. All the jeers of us being a farm team for the rest of the league or any other jab about not being able to compete with the big boys will become true.

Think about this. The owners, Poile, Trotz, etc have all said that we are committed to winning and that this team will almost be a cap team. Time to put up or shut up. Letting Weber and Suter go gives the opposite impression, no?

Now, I haven't heard this information from the greatest of sources. I am not going to lie and tell you I head it from Poile himself, but I will tell you that I have heard from a reputable source in the scouting department that Poile offered Weber a very very fair deal last summer and refused to sign. Poile's son is the one who messed up the RFA contracts, hence the reason Poile has swept the entire incident under the rug. A different source, a prominent member of the Predator's broadcasting staff that Suter has no intention of signing here unless the team improves. Now look, I am not saying these people actually know 100% what is going on, but I trust that they may know something about what is going on. Another poster on this site has heard something along the same lines.

I am sure I will get flamed for this, but that is what I have heard. Again, I can't 100% prove anything, but that is what I have been told.
All Poile can do is make a fair offer to Suter and Weber. So much blame is directed at Poile for not signing Weber last summer when the rumors are that the offer was somewhere in the 7yrs/$7mil per range. If Suter has made up his mind to leave, it won't matter what the offer is just like the Richards situation with Dallas last summer. No contract offer was keeping Brad in D. The encouraging news is that Suter's agent was allegedly in serious talks with Poile for most of early December ... there's no reason for intense talks with no intent of signing.

Weber and Suter need to spell out exactly what their idea of committing to a better team is that they expect to see from Poile. "Improvement" is a nebulous term that doesn't say anything.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 08:54 PM
  #69
darth5
Rowsdower!
 
darth5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
All Poile can do is make a fair offer to Suter and Weber. So much blame is directed at Poile for not signing Weber last summer when the rumors are that the offer was somewhere in the 7yrs/$7mil per range. If Suter has made up his mind to leave, it won't matter what the offer is just like the Richards situation with Dallas last summer. No contract offer was keeping Brad in D. The encouraging news is that Suter's agent was allegedly in serious talks with Poile for most of early December ... there's no reason for intense talks with no intent of signing.

Weber and Suter need to spell out exactly what their idea of committing to a better team is that they expect to see from Poile. "Improvement" is a nebulous term that doesn't say anything.
Bingo, 101st!
We can't know directly what Ryan and Shea feel/want to do/have told DP. Proof is in the pudding. Guys, we are left with speculation right now. We all support the team in our own ways. We all have our own inklings of how this will play out, but all we can do right now is cheer the boys on, enjoy the awesome pairing while we know we have them, and hope for the best. I may not agree with your notions on this, but I respect your opinions. This is a fan message board, after all...

darth5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:04 PM
  #70
cleangene
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful Bellevue
Posts: 945
vCash: 500
Did anyone notice that on the "GnashVegas" spot, only playing cards with Fish, Peks, and Webby were mentioned; any hidden meaning????? : )

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:35 PM
  #71
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bowling Green, KY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,450
vCash: 500
I think we'll be just fine if just 1 of them leaves. Think about the money that would've been spent on their contract to bring in a good/great forward and possibly vet fill in dman. It won't be the end of the world. If they both leave though, that would suck. But then again we'd have tons of money and room to bring in "adequate" replacements and improve scoring which would help as well. We'll see.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:36 PM
  #72
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bowling Green, KY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
Did anyone notice that on the "GnashVegas" spot, only playing cards with Fish, Peks, and Webby were mentioned; any hidden meaning????? : )
Sure, if you have your tin foil hat on

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:26 AM
  #73
PredsV82
Snot Doc
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kentucky
Country: Scotland
Posts: 11,338
vCash: 0
What really chaps me about the Weber/Suter situation is, their timing sucks... anyone with a modicum of hockey sense can look at this team's development this year (especially the rookie defensemen, Wilson and Smith) and see that next year is probably going to be "our year" to make a real run.... so forcing poile to trade assets for a rental forward for this year is actually pretty stupid... better to get a couple of depth players this year and see where we can get and make trades or pursue UFAs this summer...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:42 AM
  #74
wadesworld
Registered User
 
wadesworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,067
vCash: 500
The thing that gets me about the whole situation is: what are they waiting for?

Nashville is not going to turn into Chicago, Detroit, Boston or Vancouver overnight. We're a damn fine team that can give anyone fits, will almost always make the playoffs, and if all the pieces come together, may make a run for the cup.

The problem is, you can't predict when the pieces are going to come together or what the pieces might be. Even if we went out and signed two superstar forwards, it's no guarantee that we compete for a cup, nor is it any guarantee that we even make the playoffs. Sometimes "slam dunk" moves fail badly. That's not to say that it doesn't increase the chances, but hockey history is filled with "can't miss" teams that missed.

So, I'm not sure what magical move Suter and Weber are waiting on. They should be able to sit down with Poile for a heart-to-heart, and then based on his responses (and offer) decide whether Nashville is a place they want to be or not. If the answer is yes, get the deal done. If the answer is no, make it known that you're not interested in signing and tell Poile to start shopping you.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:53 AM
  #75
utmfisher19
Registered User
 
utmfisher19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville, Tn
Country: United States
Posts: 919
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I love speculation and rumors and nothing solid to back it up. No one has any clue what is going on behind closed doors. We hear what we read in the papers or on the radio via interviews, beyond that, it's all speculation. We can read into what Poile, Suter, Weber and everyone else involved in the situation have to say and come to our own conclusions. Until they re-sign contracts, are traded or are lost via free agency, we won't know what's really going to happen.

There have been discussions that we could lose Rinne. Well, we re-signed him. We could lose Suter and/or Weber. It's a reality. We could also keep both of them. That's a reality. It's all conjecture.

It's a catch-22 situation on multiple levels. If we trade Suter before the deadline, we are probably mailing it in this season. Will we get decent pieces in return or what we expect, probably not. If we keep Suter, we're pushing for the playoffs. We could miss, he walks and it was all for naught. We could keep Suter, make the playoffs, make a lot of noise and he still walks. We could miss or make the playoffs and he re-signs with us.

Then there's Weber and depending on what happens with Suter and the team could dictate what happens there.

As far as I'm concerned, there are way too many variables to figure this out at this time regardless of what's written or put out there in the media.

What I'd like to see happen is for us to bring back Rads and add another top 3 talent via free agency. If that doesn't send a message to our team and every other team in the NHL, I don't know what does. It's doable money wise regardless of what people might think, especially if Poile is able to convince Weber and Suter to sign deals that are beneficial to allow this to happen, deals ala the Sedins. It can be done. Everyone has to be committed to making it work. Only time will tell if that is the case.
Very good post. But one thing I disagree with a lil bit: If we trade Suter at the deadline, I don't think it kills our chances for this year.

Again, this is all speculation, but let's say we trade Suter for Philly for a 1st/2nd/3rd and Van Riemsdyk or Matt Read. In this situation, we planned on spending $7M on Suter, so we also save that (minus the $1M or so for JVR or Read's salary). Now we have $6M to spend on another forward or dman.

So in this situation, we grab a player that can help a lil now, but will be great in 1-3 years. We draft a player that will help in 3-5 years. And lastly, can add a $5-6M player with the extra money we saved. We know Josi, Ellis, and Blum are ready to play. In the playoffs, I'd be willing to go with:

Wilson - Leggy - Horn
Erat - Fisher - JVR/Read
Tootoo/Smith - Spaling - SK
Tootoo/Smith - Smithson - Bourque
(Halischuk)

Weber - Josi
Ellis - Klein
Boullion - Blum

Then we can add someone either at the deadline that has a higher price-tag (Iginla?). Or we can sign someone over the summer for $5-6 at the forward spot - or if we realize Josi can't replace Suter, a dman.


Last edited by utmfisher19: 01-11-2012 at 09:07 AM. Reason: stupid type-os
utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.