HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kassian/Brennan sent down to Ra-cha-cha (1/7/12)

Old
01-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey18 View Post
Prettty sure adam is on his original 3 year contract which is a two way . Why would we want him up if he can play and get his confidence back
I thought there was a games threshold that once exceeded made the player eligible for waivers. I think it has to do with the age at which the player is signed.

Where is JFB?

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:44 AM
OcAirlines

vCash: 500
It has nothing to do with his contract being two-way, but I'm pretty sure that Adam can still be sent down. I just see no reason to do so.

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Adam is only at 60 NHL games played in his second pro season after signing his deal as a 20 year old. He's still eligible to be sent down without having to pass through waivers since he hasn't tripped the fourth year or 160 games played. He's a lost puppy out there, send him down, get his offensive game back on track and continue to work with him on his defensive play.

01-10-2012, 10:01 AM
hockey18

Luke is going to be a good nhl player for alot of years. Nothing wrong with sendig him down to play in some games, work the rust off and get some confidence back. Not sure what playing 7 minutes per game with no confidence is doing for him. Haven't checked, but don't really see him getting anyshots off either. He is a scorer, has to get that confidence back

hockey18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Adam is only at 60 NHL games played in his second pro season after signing his deal as a 20 year old. He's still eligible to be sent down without having to pass through waivers since he hasn't tripped the fourth year or 160 games played. He's a lost puppy out there, send him down, get his offensive game back on track and continue to work with him on his defensive play.
I agree. Ruff will lean on the vets as they attempt to work themselves out of this mess they created for themselves. It wouldn't hurt to send him back for 20 games or so to get his confidence back, and then recall him once he gets back on his game. I'm sure the Amerks wouldn't mind, either.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey18 View Post
Luke is going to be a good nhl player for alot of years. Nothing wrong with sendig him down to play in some games, work the rust off and get some confidence back. Not sure what playing 7 minutes per game with no confidence is doing for him. Haven't checked, but don't really see him getting anyshots off either. He is a scorer, has to get that confidence back
I know you watch a lot of the Amerks games and it's not like they couldn't use the scoring either. If they want to win long-term, teaching the young guys how to win in the playoffs is part of that. He would help there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I agree. Ruff will lean on the vets as they attempt to work themselves out of this mess they created for themselves. It wouldn't hurt to send him back for 20 games or so to get his confidence back, and then recall him once he gets back on his game. I'm sure the Amerks wouldn't mind, either.
Which comes back around to a guy like Brule on recall waivers as a 4th line center option instead of wasting Adam down there.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:28 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcAirlines View Post
It has nothing to do with his contract being two-way, but I'm pretty sure that Adam can still be sent down. I just see no reason to do so.
Get him top line ice time and get his mojo back. Its not unheard of to send a young kid (ven one with high expectations) down in this situation instead of giving him limited minutes in the NHL. Adam is still very young and has a lot of development ahead of him.

Last edited by joshjull: 01-10-2012 at 01:36 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:38 PM
OcAirlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Get him top line ice time and get his mojo back. Its not unheard of to send a young kid (ven one with high expectations) down in this situation instead of giving him limited minutes in the NHL. Adam is still very young and has a lot of development ahead of him.
I think Adam should battle through this, he has to prove himself against NHL-competition night in and night out now. I don't think that playing against inferior competition will really help him at this point, although I get the confidence-argument. But I don't think that sending a guy who already had an All-Star-Season in the AHL back to the minors will help his development anymore. And if we call him up again in a few weeks he will probably play in the bottom-lines again and has to fight his way back in the top-six. I'd rather have him do this no and not in a month.

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Slapshot85

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
Kassian started out like a ball of fire and then ended up near invisible. That mystifies me. Early on, his presence was felt on multiple lines and situations all over the ice. And he faded to black (as Ruff slipped him to the next lower line... And as his play lost its physical edge.)

My question is do we think Stafford, Boyes, McCormick and Ellis are more valuable to this team overall than what Kassian contributed? Personally, I think Kassian has more upside than any of these 4 and would have preferred to see him learn more of his craft at the NHL level. He's got jam and with patience, would be better for it.

Agree that his being relegated to the 4th line wouldn't helpehim much (my point being, that he's not a 4th liner even though that's where Ruff finally deposited him).

I do understand somes sentiment for keeping him from learning too many bad habits up with the big team however. And that's says alot to me about the Sabres coaching staff right there.
He's a 20-year professional rookie making the jump for minor league hockey (OHL) to the NHL. That's a very big jump (the AHL to NHL is a big one) for anyone, and to maintain it long-term with the pressure, and to develop your game, is very tough. Let him develop his skills and mental game in the minors, then bring him up.

Slapshot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 06:32 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot85 View Post
He's a 20-year professional rookie making the jump for minor league hockey (OHL) to the NHL. That's a very big jump (the AHL to NHL is a big one) for anyone, and to maintain it long-term with the pressure, and to develop your game, is very tough. Let him develop his skills and mental game in the minors, then bring him up.
I understand the conventional case made about letting kids mature in the minors.

But for every rookie that goes that route, there are the Duschene's, Landskog's, etc. who play thru the ups and downs and end up better for it.

The majority of posters think Kassian needs and will benefit from minor league seasoning. While I agree it's likely not going to hurt him, I do believe that in the proper hands, Kassian could develop as well if not better skating with the big boys.

Given how quickly Zack's level of play fell off, that indicates to me that Ruff's style is not conducive to player development so let Rochester do that.

Anyways, Sabres mgmt seems to prefer to go with our older players in spite of performance. Got to justify those salaries somehow/way....

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:16 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I understand the conventional case made about letting kids mature in the minors.

But for every rookie that goes that route, there are the Duschene's, Landskog's, etc. who play thru the ups and downs and end up better for it.

The majority of posters think Kassian needs and will benefit from minor league seasoning. While I agree it's likely not going to hurt him, I do believe that in the proper hands, Kassian could develop as well if not better skating with the big boys.

Given how quickly Zack's level of play fell off, that indicates to me that Ruff's style is not conducive to player development so let Rochester do that.

Anyways, Sabres mgmt seems to prefer to go with our older players in spite of performance. Got to justify those salaries somehow/way....
Actually you have it backwards. For every kid that can make the transition right to the NHL there are more that need seasoning in the AHL.

Old
01-10-2012, 10:18 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Actually you have it backwards. For every kid that can make the transition right to the NHL there are more that need seasoning in the AHL.
Far more and it's not even close.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:41 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Granted but I think Kassian is one of the few, the proud, the able....

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:49 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Granted but I think Kassian is one of the few, the proud, the able....
Maybe but he wasn't very good for a decent stretch of games leading to a healthy scratch and a game with limited ice time.

Old
01-10-2012, 10:54 PM
sabrefan27

Kassian wasn't even consistent in Rochester. Dominated for a few shifts then you forget he's playing for a period. Typical of players his age.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:12 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Maybe but he wasn't very good for a decent stretch of games leading to a healthy scratch and a game with limited ice time.
Exactly ... There is a lot of "hope" with Kassian. But it is often based on desperation and desire, rather than the reality of what he is, and where he is, presently. He absolutely needs seasoning in the AHL. While up I liked his game 60% of the time.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:18 PM
Kyndig86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Exactly ... There is a lot of "hope" with Kassian. But it is often based on desperation and desire, rather than the reality of what he is, and where he is, presently. He absolutely needs seasoning in the AHL. While up I liked his game 60% of the time.
He was really good his first few games, then he was pretty much invisible after. Which is a compliment compared to the rest of these bums.

Kyndig86 is offline   Reply With Quote