HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's difficult being a Canuck fan on the internet isn't it?

Old
01-10-2012, 02:49 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjerrisgaard View Post
Sometimes I wonder if this board would be a more civilized place if you had to post under your real name.

Not that I would want people trying to find each other in real life to take it past anything but a discussion on a message board. I just think if you didn't have the ability to hide behind a username you would choose your words more carefully.

The end of trolling? Not quite, but a good start.
And you had to have a photo of you as your avatar.

Really in general our fan base has given us this bad rep, we never had it back in the WCE days if I remember right (before the Moore thing) I remember our fan base growing fast back then as that top line was bringing in fans. Also, the Canucks weren't a hated team back then we become a team full of pests and earned that title. Wish the Canucks fans who stir **** up on the main board would cool it, I mean we don't have to be the nicest fan base but might not hurt us to maybe cut back on the trolling we are known for. If your going to respond try and not make yourself look bad in the process.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:52 AM
Wetcoaster

What is this internet thing of which you write?

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:06 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjerrisgaard View Post
Sometimes I wonder if this board would be a more civilized place if you had to post under your real name.

Not that I would want people trying to find each other in real life to take it past anything but a discussion on a message board. I just think if you didn't have the ability to hide behind a username you would choose your words more carefully.

The end of trolling? Not quite, but a good start.
That's the story of the internet, though. Anonymity + ability to say whatever = jackasses everywhere

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:17 AM
mrbitterguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammer View Post
By definition, half of the people you meet are below average!
this is only true if you go everywhere and meet everyone. There are clusters of like-minded people you can find so find out where the smart ones hang out and go there.

Or just become a misanthropist. Once you hate everyone you don't give a **** what they think and can get on with your life.

mrbitterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:49 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by trytobe View Post
Far worse to be a canucks fan offline and in Vancouver. I facepalm and die a little inside whenever I hear friends, acquaintances and colleagues who are "fans" but don't educate themselves on the goings-on of the team and of the game repeat baseless rumors they hear on the radio/tv and read on the internet.

how many times have we all had to put up with people making snarky comments about how the sedins are soft or how luongo is the only reason the canucks lost in the playoffs for the last 3 seasons?
Haha this. SO MANY uneducated fans in Vancouver. The fact that seemingly half of them call into Team 1040 after a loss just makes it worse.

vanuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:07 AM
Abaddon*

I've only been accused of being a puck bunny once so far so I think I'm doing pretty well! I definitely need to brush up on my advanced statistical analysis.

Abaddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:14 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammer View Post
If you are saintly enough to manage it, try to model good behavior. Otherwise, just keep your expectations nice and low. By definition, half of the people you meet are below average!
Or as my guru and spiritual mentor George Carlin (RIP) said:

Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!

Old
01-10-2012, 04:16 AM
Abaddon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Or as my guru and spiritual mentor George Carlin (RIP) said:

Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!
Humans are pretty smart actually? I mean that's what separates us from animals. We can write stories and play jenga.

Last edited by Abaddon*: 01-10-2012 at 05:02 AM.
Abaddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:22 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniversary View Post
I've only been accused of being a puck bunny once so far so I think I'm doing pretty well! I definitely need to brush up on my advanced statistical analysis.
Nothing wrong with puck bunnies. Some of my fondest memories of 40+ years back when I played junior.

There were these identical twins who were ballet dancers... NSFW.

Old
01-10-2012, 04:27 AM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with puck bunnies. Some of my fondest memories of 40+ years back when I played junior.

You submarined them and bit their fingers?

Okay, I'll stop. Family board.

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:29 AM
Tank Hankerous*

Quote:

No diseases either back then...man you guys were lucky.

Tank Hankerous* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:49 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank Hankerous View Post
No diseases either back then...man you guys were lucky.
Not so.

Old
01-10-2012, 07:53 PM
BIitz
Gesamt Kunst Werk

vCash: 50
It's difficult when I don't even cheer for the Canucks and whenever I call someone out that's their comeback!

Oh well, you guy's get hate, but at least you're good. Try getting hate without even having any success.

BIitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:31 PM
KesGold17

It's not that bad, the only thing I hate is it seems people outside of Vancouver think every Canuck fan ruined our city after game 7. Every fan is clumped into that.

KesGold17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:50 PM
KahunaBaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesGold17 View Post
It's not that bad, the only thing I hate is it seems people outside of Vancouver think every Canuck fan ruined our city after game 7. Every fan is clumped into that.
So true. While debating Boston fans the last two days i was called a rioter on two different occasions...no word of a lie.

Also i agree with the poster who mentioned he is embarrassed by his fellow Canuck fans. I really wish the lot of them would educate themselves before posting or calling the Team 1040. Their isn't enough face palms to go around when some of these fans speak.

Just embrace the hate. There are some fanbases that you just can't convince...they are going to hate regardless no matter how much common sense you try to tell them.

KahunaBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:32 AM
Lobster57
#nofreepasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaBaby View Post
So true. While debating Boston fans the last two days i was called a rioter on two different occasions...no word of a lie.

Also i agree with the poster who mentioned he is embarrassed by his fellow Canuck fans. I really wish the lot of them would educate themselves before posting or calling the Team 1040. Their isn't enough face palms to go around when some of these fans speak.

Just embrace the hate. There are some fanbases that you just can't convince...they are going to hate regardless no matter how much common sense you try to tell them.
And as, a Bruin fan in Victoria, I had a Canuck fan tell me he hoped Marchand dies. So, yeah, jackasses everywhere, every team has them and the ratio of good to bad is pretty much the same everywhere.

Lobster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:44 AM
KahunaBaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster57 View Post
And as, a Bruin fan in Victoria, I had a Canuck fan tell me he hoped Marchand dies. So, yeah, jackasses everywhere, every team has them and the ratio of good to bad is pretty much the same everywhere.
No argument there.

On a side note have you guys heard Joey on the Team 1040?

KahunaBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:48 AM
JohnWayne

Life is a four way intersection and everyone who stands on a corner and sees a car accident will see it from different views and angles. Every single one of them will say that they saw it correctly and anyone who disagrees with them is wrong.

I have been lurking on this site for almost 3 years, the usually hockey site I was a poster shut down because the owners ran "other" stuff as well. We had a good community there and a few of us are considering starting it up as an invite only site where you can not even read the board unless you are a member.

My statement is a blanket statement about all 30 fan bases on this site. One reason i was hesitant to register here and start posting is, that on any given day, all 30 fan bases are whinning little children that feel as though the entire internet is against them.

Ask any leaf fan how it is when they post something good about their team, 29 fans bases attack. When Oiler fans defend the fact they are not tanking but losing because 5 of their top 8 players are injured--they are attacked. Ask any fan of the southern expansion teams when they suggest that hockey is working down xouth, Canadians on mass attack.

I look at the statement "It is tough being a canuck fan on the internet" and think of the four corners of an intersection and think that the car crash the canuck fan saw is seen from a different perspective then the four other eye witnesses to the crash.

Seems to me ALL fan bases scream the cry of innocents and NOT ONE fan base will take the blame when the mods on this site spend hours cleaning up discussion that turned into the third world war. "IT wasn't us, it was the other guys who started it". Is said nearly everytime a clean up occurs.

My only comment is this (and then feal free to attack me) the vancouver fans are just as bad as other fans when it comes to picking fights and are just as quick to say "we did nothing". There are some very good posters on this board and there are some posters on this board who view it as their job to troll other fans into fights. This can be said about all boards on this site. There are good posters and their are bad poster and it is tough to a fan of any team on this site.

When a team is winning they are ridicules and when a team is losing they are laughed at.

With that I have not other comment because experience has tought me never argue with the blind when they say they can see.

JohnWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:20 AM
Lobster57
#nofreepasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningreb View Post
Life is a four way intersection and everyone who stands on a corner and sees a car accident will see it from different views and angles. Every single one of them will say that they saw it correctly and anyone who disagrees with them is wrong.

I have been lurking on this site for almost 3 years, the usually hockey site I was a poster shut down because the owners ran "other" stuff as well. We had a good community there and a few of us are considering starting it up as an invite only site where you can not even read the board unless you are a member.

My statement is a blanket statement about all 30 fan bases on this site. One reason i was hesitant to register here and start posting is, that on any given day, all 30 fan bases are whinning little children that feel as though the entire internet is against them.

Ask any leaf fan how it is when they post something good about their team, 29 fans bases attack. When Oiler fans defend the fact they are not tanking but losing because 5 of their top 8 players are injured--they are attacked. Ask any fan of the southern expansion teams when they suggest that hockey is working down xouth, Canadians on mass attack.

I look at the statement "It is tough being a canuck fan on the internet" and think of the four corners of an intersection and think that the car crash the canuck fan saw is seen from a different perspective then the four other eye witnesses to the crash.

Seems to me ALL fan bases scream the cry of innocents and NOT ONE fan base will take the blame when the mods on this site spend hours cleaning up discussion that turned into the third world war. "IT wasn't us, it was the other guys who started it". Is said nearly everytime a clean up occurs.

My only comment is this (and then feal free to attack me) the vancouver fans are just as bad as other fans when it comes to picking fights and are just as quick to say "we did nothing". There are some very good posters on this board and there are some posters on this board who view it as their job to troll other fans into fights. This can be said about all boards on this site. There are good posters and their are bad poster and it is tough to a fan of any team on this site.

When a team is winning they are ridicules and when a team is losing they are laughed at.

With that I have not other comment because experience has tought me never argue with the blind when they say they can see.
As a Bruin fan in Canuck country, who tries (sometimes even successfully) to be somewhat rational (i won't say objective, or unbiased, then i wouldn't be a fan) this is one of the best posts on HFboards.

Lobster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:25 AM
SunnyCanuck

Imagine if your divisional rivals were the habs and you had to deal with french grammar and spelling all year. Consider yourself lucky.

Last edited by SunnyCanuck: 01-11-2012 at 01:41 AM.
SunnyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:48 AM
JohnWayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster57 View Post
As a Bruin fan in Canuck country, who tries (sometimes even successfully) to be somewhat rational (i won't say objective, or unbiased, then i wouldn't be a fan) this is one of the best posts on HFboards.

Thank you. Like I said. Been lurking for awhile and it is obvious to me that there are about 30 fan bases on this site that is convinced the world is against them on most days. Leaf fans usually get the beat down the most in my opinion, then the fans of southern teams, oiler and then the vancouver fans. If some fans in Canada had their way there would be no teams in the states, but 5 teams in Saskatchewan and 4 more on New Foundland island and maybe one playing in Tuktoyaktuk. Without getting everyone here too annoyed at me. I will leave it at that. In my opinion come March 1st, you will see more on-line attacks against oiler and leaf fans the canuck fans

JohnWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:58 AM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Quote:

Well done!

DennisReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:58 AM
jojoh07*

I embrace the hate , its great being the villian

jojoh07* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:13 AM
SunnyCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAME CANADA View Post
And you had to have a photo of you as your avatar.

Really in general our fan base has given us this bad rep, we never had it back in the WCE days if I remember right (before the Moore thing) I remember our fan base growing fast back then as that top line was bringing in fans. Also, the Canucks weren't a hated team back then we become a team full of pests and earned that title. Wish the Canucks fans who stir **** up on the main board would cool it, I mean we don't have to be the nicest fan base but might not hurt us to maybe cut back on the trolling we are known for. If your going to respond try and not make yourself look bad in the process.
There is a board for electronic artists, eg. photoshop to film and editing that actually does require a real name. http://forums.creativecow.net/adobephotoshop You can fake your name, but most people use their real names and many have links to their businesses, etc. Generally there are much fewer flame wars, but arrogance still rears its head when people debate. Probably a far less emotional topic though, but I do believe the lack of accountability makes people much less civil.

SunnyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:35 AM
BIitz
Gesamt Kunst Werk

vCash: 50
Quote:
Thank you. Like I said. Been lurking for awhile and it is obvious to me that there are about 30 fan bases on this site that is convinced the world is against them on most days. Leaf fans usually get the beat down the most in my opinion, then the fans of southern teams, oiler and then the vancouver fans. If some fans in Canada had their way there would be no teams in the states, but 5 teams in Saskatchewan and 4 more on New Foundland island and maybe one playing in Tuktoyaktuk. Without getting everyone here too annoyed at me. I will leave it at that. In my opinion come March 1st, you will see more on-line attacks against oiler and leaf fans the canuck fans

Don't worry, BIitz is earning the Leaf posters more and more respect.

BIitz is offline   Reply With Quote