HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Pronger really gone for the playoffs?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-10-2012, 12:48 PM
  #1
tytech
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 500
Is Pronger really gone for the playoffs?

I'm well aware of what was said but 5 months off of hockey is enough of a rest to try and get back isn't it? I mean, he wasn't rocked right before this news came out, therefore it was a collection of hits or something I'm assuming. Nobody can pinpoint when this happened so how can one say he's done for the year, including playoffs.

Wouldn't it depend on the individual and testing? Who knows where he'll be in 5 months (4 from now)

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 12:49 PM
  #2
thedjpd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,684
vCash: 500
From CSNPhilly's latest article this morning, apparently Pronger still hasn't made, and I quote, any "objective progress," in terms of his recovery.

That's quite disconcerting, at the very least.

If somebody makes no progress in a month, I'd say it's highly unlikely he's back in a few.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 12:56 PM
  #3
iamcanadian23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 200
vCash: 500
Honestly, at this point I think he should just ride out his career on long-term injured reserve. This option seems to have the best potential for both parties involved. Sure, he would be nice to have around - but let's be honest, he is another injury waiting to happen - whether it be back, knee, concussion or something else. He should sit out the rest of his contract and then retire, and worry about his health moving forward.

The team could use the salary cap space to acquire and sign a younger defensive-minded defensemen long-term as a replacement. Everyone talks of acquiring Suter/Weber, but beyond this year they would never fit into our salary cap should Pronger return. Even if Pronger were to return, he is getting less and less effective as the years pass.

Might be in the extreme minority here, but just my opinion...

iamcanadian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:07 PM
  #4
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Playoffs? There's a good chance Pronger's playing career is over.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:14 PM
  #5
OriginJM
watch out im smart
 
OriginJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,526
vCash: 500
Concussions for someone close to 40 is not only career threatening, but can really alter the path of health for the rest of your life. Not that it can't do that when you're in your low-20's (a la Crosby) but when you're older... it has to be a warning sign to stop playing.

I love Pronger, but sadly I think he's done for.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:16 PM
  #6
dats81
Registered User
 
dats81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Carinthia
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,084
vCash: 500
From what I've heard his symptoms are almost as bad as Crosby's right after he went down the first time and Prongs is significantly older and his body has been bothered with other injuries so much recently...

We better start planing without him!

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:31 PM
  #7
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
His career is probably over... so, yeah, he's really gone for the playoffs.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:40 PM
  #8
HartsyMania
What, me worry?
 
HartsyMania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 357
vCash: 500
Does this question fall into the "Shock and Denial" or the "Bargaining" stage of the 7 stages of grief?

HartsyMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 01:43 PM
  #9
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
I think whatever damage he suffered obviously has to be pretty serious for the Flyers to immediately announce he was shut down for the rest of the season + the playoffs. The beat writers have mentioned on twitter that he is pretty depressed over it. I think it is likely his career is done.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:05 PM
  #10
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,910
vCash: 769
when a 37 year old is deemed out for the season & playoffs 30-some games into the season with severe post-concussion syndrome, it's not a good sign at all

if you ask me, his career is over

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:09 PM
  #11
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,985
vCash: 500
His agent has already stated zero chance and that Doctors were very to the point about his future and health. IMO we've seen the end of Pronger's career.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:23 PM
  #12
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,529
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Uhh, last I heard he was having problems with every day functions. Forget about playoffs, I just hope he can live a normal life from here on out.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:30 PM
  #13
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,025
vCash: 500
I doubt he'll be back but I also stopped believing anything that comes out of the Flyers organization so if he does come back, I won't be at all surprised.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:32 PM
  #14
stygian16*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyEye View Post
Does this question fall into the "Shock and Denial" or the "Bargaining" stage of the 7 stages of grief?
good call... I'm at step 4 - Depression, reflection, lonliness
..especially every time Lilja touches the puck

stygian16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:33 PM
  #15
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,052
vCash: 500
im gunna side with career over..

even if he heals up and comes back next season, do you really think he'll be 100% and able to ride out that contract nite after nite ???

i say let him LTIR it out. was fun while it lasted but the dance is over.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:46 PM
  #16
Cmoneyflyguy
Registered User
 
Cmoneyflyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wayne, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,141
vCash: 500
I'll go ahead and believe the flyers when they say done for the season and playoffs.

BTW, good to know HF Flyers is loaded with so many concussion specialists.
Someone tell the NEJM

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:53 PM
  #17
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,900
vCash: 500
This reminds me a lot of the Primeau situation. The Flyers pay out Pronger for the year and then see just before the off season if Pronger can go. If Pronger can't go, then the doctors won't clear him, plain and simple. And, if Pronger's career is done, then the Flyers should apply for the injury exempt waiver that New Jersey got when they were able to dump Alexander Mogilny's contract without any repercussion to the salary cap.

I hate to see the guy go out this way, but concussions at this stage of his career are usually career ending. One only needs to look at Ian Laperriere see what a concussion can do to a 35+ year old person.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:06 PM
  #18
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
I wouldn't count Pronger out just yet... he's obviously made enough progress that flying doesn't give him trouble judging by the fact that he was at Philadelphia International Airport earlier today...

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:31 PM
  #19
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I doubt he'll be back but I also stopped believing anything that comes out of the Flyers organization so if he does come back, I won't be at all surprised.



Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:42 PM
  #20
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
Concussions for someone close to 40 is not only career threatening, but can really alter the path of health for the rest of your life. Not that it can't do that when you're in your low-20's (a la Crosby) but when you're older... it has to be a warning sign to stop playing.

I love Pronger, but sadly I think he's done for.


I have to agree with your assessment. If what I am hearing from some of you here on the site is correct. Chris may very well be done. Just a dam shame for both Chris and the Flyers. It will be interesting to see who we get to replace him. With the moves Homer has done last year,we now have chips to bargain with.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:35 PM
  #21
StandingCow
Registered User
 
StandingCow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 3,539
vCash: 50
Yea, if he is having trouble with everyday activities... he is done 100% for this year. I am leaning toward his career being over too.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:10 AM
  #22
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Yea, if he is having trouble with everyday activities... he is done 100% for this year. I am leaning toward his career being over too.
I doubt he's having that much trouble with "everyday activities". As I said earlier, he was seen getting on an airplane earlier today according to one of my friends from Temple... He actually posed for a picture w/ my friend and several other guys @ the airport. Here's one that made it's way to twitter:

http://instagr.am/p/gDGBt/

My friend asked him how he was doing and if there was a chance we'd see him in the playoffs and he Pronger smiled, winked, and walked away, so take it for what it's worth...

Everyone needs to keep calm and quit saying his career is over when they have no clue / no information.

Could Pronger's career / season be over? Sure, both could be over.

There is also a chance that Pronger is improving and that he will be ready for the playoffs. Nobody knows.

But I think it's entirely possible that he is indeed improving but Holmgren isn't telling anyone. I mean, why would he? It's in everyone's best interest to just tow the company line that Pronger is done for the season and there's no updates. That way, the media isn't whipped up into a frenzy, the players continue to know that it's on them to get the job done and Pronger won't be there to save the day, and if it does in fact work out that Pronger returns for the playoffs then it's a huge boost to the team and a great surprise for the fans.

If Holmgren works it correctly, Pronger being done till the playoffs could actually be a huge benefit for our team. With Pronger on LTIR, we pick up cap space and can acquire a more expensive player without moving any significant pieces. Once the playoffs come around though, there is no salary cap.

At any rate, I'm not saying he's coming back... I'm just saying that I have a hunch he's not done yet. And a comeback is certainly possible.


Last edited by WeekendAtBernies: 01-11-2012 at 12:36 AM.
WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:49 AM
  #23
BrindamoursNose
Registered User
 
BrindamoursNose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,786
vCash: 500
See with this kind of situation, It's sad that we can't get his cap number off our salary cap. Here's to hoping something changes in the new CBA about it...

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:55 AM
  #24
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity
 
ChumpyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Country: Sami
Posts: 2,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
I doubt he's having that much trouble with "everyday activities". As I said earlier, he was seen getting on an airplane earlier today according to one of my friends from Temple... He actually posed for a picture w/ my friend and several other guys @ the airport. Here's one that made it's way to twitter:

http://instagr.am/p/gDGBt/

My friend asked him how he was doing and if there was a chance we'd see him in the playoffs and he Pronger smiled, winked, and walked away, so take it for what it's worth...

Everyone needs to keep calm and quit saying his career is over when they have no clue / no information.

Could Pronger's career / season be over? Sure, both could be over.

There is also a chance that Pronger is improving and that he will be ready for the playoffs. Nobody knows.

But I think it's entirely possible that he is indeed improving but Holmgren isn't telling anyone. I mean, why would he? It's in everyone's best interest to just tow the company line that Pronger is done for the season and there's no updates. That way, the media isn't whipped up into a frenzy, the players continue to know that it's on them to get the job done and Pronger won't be there to save the day, and if it does in fact work out that Pronger returns for the playoffs then it's a huge boost to the team and a great surprise for the fans.

If Holmgren works it correctly, Pronger being done till the playoffs could actually be a huge benefit for our team. With Pronger on LTIR, we pick up cap space and can acquire a more expensive player without moving any significant pieces. Once the playoffs come around though, there is no salary cap.

At any rate, I'm not saying he's coming back... I'm just saying that I have a hunch he's not done yet. And a comeback is certainly possible.
I see Pronger prefers the "concussion beard" to the "playoff beard".

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:09 AM
  #25
OriginJM
watch out im smart
 
OriginJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,526
vCash: 500
I'm sure it might of been posted somewhere else, but for those who haven't seen it"

Quote:
Holmgren checks in with Pronger once or twice a week. He said his top defenseman has good days and bad days, but isn’t making objective progress.

“I don’t see a light at the end of the tunnel here,” Holmgren said. “I don’t think he does, either.”

The Flyers plan to address defense at the trade deadline in late February, but Holmgren said he would not “do anything stupid” to ruin the chemistry on this club by tearing it apart to land a major defenseman.

Most observers say the Flyers will be in the hunt for either Shea Weber or Ryan Suter, should Nashville decide to move one of those defensemen.

Suter is unrestricted this summer and it’s highly unlikely Preds GM David Poile can re-sign him, as well as Weber, who is a restricted free agent this summer.

“We continue to look like every team as we get the deadline in [48 days],” he said. “There’s a lot of chatter out there.”
Article here.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.