HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GM 44: Canucks def. Lightning - 5-4 (SO) (Edler, Hansen, Malhotra, Kesler)

Old
01-11-2012, 01:11 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
No, I don't think it is unfair. Granted, he may have hit a wall. But it doesn't look like he's gassed. It looks more like he's reverted to what he was. _That's_ why he's being criticized.

He's not long for this team IMO.
I'm 100% on board with everything said in this post.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:13 AM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Last night she said the Canucks would score around the 3 minute mark, we scored at 3:11...And right after that she said that was the only goal the Canucks will score and that they would lose, Which they obviously did 2-1.

I'll post her predictions just as the game starts and we'll see how good at this she is when there is pressure

Edit: Prediciton has come early. She thinks the Canucks are going to win and it will be a low scoring game. Possibly 1-0 and it will go to overtime.
2 out of 3 ain't bad, canucks won in OT, but it was far from a one nothing game.

Still liking how Hodgson plays, while some players play to hope to score, he looks like a player who plays to score every shift.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:15 AM
The Big Foot

Quote:
Being all the way negative, or all the way positive are both illogical stances to take. So no point in complaining about the complainers if you take a completely polarized stance yourself.

What I find especially humorous about your post is that you freely admit you did not watch the game.
Well glad you found that funny then. Where exactly did you get that I have a completely polarized stance?? I was just commenting on how ridiculous it is that there were so many whiney posts in here after a win.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:20 AM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Chicago shouldn't have made the playoffs. They only did because Dallas choked .

Big difference. Vancouver is 1st in the conference .
Chicago SHOULD have made the playoffs, and been a much higher seed. If you look at the underlying metrics, they were right on par with San Jose, Detroit, and Vancouver.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:23 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
Well glad you found that funny then. Where exactly did you get that I have a completely polarized stance?? I was just commenting on how ridiculous it is that there were so many whiney posts in here after a win.

Damn, you caught my post before I edited it to take out some harsher language. Didn't mean for it to come off the way that it did.

I was just referencing that you did go on a bit of a rant there with tying negative posts to lack of a life/low self esteem. That somewhat attacks the poster and not the post. It's also a generalization - which is never good.

Overly optimistic or incessantly pessimistic are both illogical posting styles IMO. Neither is balanced.

Bleach Clean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:31 AM
The Big Foot

Quote:
Damn, you caught my post before I edited it to take out some harsher language. Didn't mean for it to come off the way that it did.

I was just referencing that you did go on a bit of a rant there with tying negative posts to lack of a life/low self esteem. That somewhat attacks the poster and not the post. It's also a generalization - which is never good.

Overly optimistic or incessantly pessimistic are both illogical posting styles IMO. Neither is balanced.
Yeah and getting sucked into reading those posts is an even bigger waste of time!

Obviously I would have watched the game but forgot to set the PVR, damn east coast games. On a night when Raymond ended up with the GWG (did see that one), sure are a lot of people talking about trading him. I agree he does seem expendable but at the same time I think people take for granted a lot of what he brings. He isn't soft, he's a good two way player, and in my opinion he has been stuck with a player who really has been pretty much a black hole offensively 5 on 5 for quite a while now (Kesler) who gets not quite a free pass but definitely not much blame. Kesler never looks to pass to Raymond. I think Booth and even Hodgson get more respect from Kesler in the offensive zone, making those guys more effective options on that line. Raymond, Lapierre, Hansen, Higgins - a good line can be made out of those parts.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:31 AM
Britton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Chicago SHOULD have made the playoffs, and been a much higher seed. If you look at the underlying metrics, they were right on par with San Jose, Detroit, and Vancouver.
I think that was his point. Chicago was a good team that had a terrible regular season and almost missed. Meanwhile people are complaining about the Canucks season saying they need to turn it up despite them being first in the conference. If we were barely hanging on like Chicago last year they might have a point.

Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:42 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
Yeah and getting sucked into reading those posts is an even bigger waste of time!

Obviously I would have watched the game but forgot to set the PVR, damn east coast games. On a night when Raymond ended up with the GWG (did see that one), sure are a lot of people talking about trading him. I agree he does seem expendable but at the same time I think people take for granted a lot of what he brings. He isn't soft, he's a good two way player, and in my opinion he has been stuck with a player who really has been pretty much a black hole offensively 5 on 5 for quite a while now (Kesler) who gets not quite a free pass but definitely not much blame. Kesler never looks to pass to Raymond. I think Booth and even Hodgson get more respect from Kesler in the offensive zone, making those guys more effective options on that line. Raymond, Lapierre, Hansen, Higgins - a good line can be made out of those parts.

I hear you. The issues are both Kesler and Raymond. It's just that Kesler won't be moved so...

Raymond is a good player. He's probably the team's best stickhandler, is up there with the nux fastest players, can PK well, has a good shot etc... There are a lot of things to like. But you can be a good player and still be traded. If he can't find a way to co-exist with Kesler then I don't see much of a future for him here. Even if Kesler is more of the problem (which is what I think). It's not fair, but that's just the sad truth.

Raymond has to learn how to adapt to Kesler ASAP. It's the last season he will get a chance to do so IMO.

Old
01-11-2012, 01:43 AM
xtr3m

They really want Schneider in Tampa.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:43 AM
David71

another good game by mike duco. keeps it simple no idiocy things Yet... when he did it in the preseason, he was trying too hard to impress the coaches. is alex sulzer playing on the top 4 over keith ballard? really?

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:58 AM
ProstheticConscience
Dystemper

Oh yeah, the Canucks are still playing games this week. That Boston game is still hanging over me.

Well, not happy about the 3rd, but they are playing the 3rd game in 4 days. Bound to run low sometime.

Bieksa in the shoot-out. I just stared at my tv with my mouth open. Really, AV?

Still liking Raymond despite the criticism he's gotten in this thread. Still shifty as hell along the boards, still roadrunner fast and, oh yeah, scored the winner in the SO.

Schneider blows me away. That guy's going to be a star. Sad that it's unlikely to be here.

Duco was okay. Toned down the agitating.

Please Manny, let this be the onset of last year's Manny coming back.

2 more points in the bank, 21-0 when leading after 2 periods.

Next!

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:08 AM
BAuldie

Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
Didn't think Hodgson looked that good last night. Several bad turnovers around the teams blue line.. nothing that ended up in the back of the net mind you.

BAuldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:16 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

If there's any way Gillis can get Downie out of Tampa I hope he does it. His game is pretty simple - get the puck to one of his teammates and crash the crease setting screens and looking for rebounds. Would be perfect with a shoot 1st centre like Kelser and a defense that get a lot of pucks at the net. Would also be the team's toughest forward and a good bodyguard for the always chippy Kesler.

As good as Schneider has been I would move him for Downie. His mediocre offensive output and pending RFA status make him a perfect candidate to re-sign on the cheap in the medium to longterm. Could have a $2.5mil 2nd line forward over 3-4 years. Worse case scenario you get a 35 point, tough 3rd liner that will intimidate a lot of opposing players.

The Canucks have played a tough schedule up to this point. They should finish strong with a lot of home games and will win the West IMO.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:21 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
If there's any way Gillis can get Downie out of Tampa I hope he does it. His game is pretty simple - get the puck to one of his teammates and crash the crease setting screens and looking for rebounds. Would be perfect with a shoot 1st centre like Kelser and a defense that get a lot of pucks at the net. Would also be the team's toughest forward and a good bodyguard for the always chippy Kesler.

As good as Schneider has been I would move him for Downie. His mediocre offensive output and pending RFA status make him a perfect candidate to re-sign on the cheap in the medium to longterm. Could have a $2.5mil 2nd line forward over 3-4 years. Worse case scenario you get a 35 point, tough 3rd liner that will intimidate a lot of opposing players.

The Canucks have played a tough schedule up to this point. They should finish strong with a lot of home games and will win the West IMO.
Who is Downie going to intimidate? He's not really all that tough, he's just game. Anyone else who's game isn't going to be intimidated by him.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:25 AM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Who is Downie going to intimidate? He's not really all that tough, he's just game. Anyone else who's game isn't going to be intimidated by him.
downie is one of three legitimately intimidating players because he is liable to snap at some point and literally murder someone on the ice without them expecting it

like he's completely insane and homicide isnt outside his realm if really pushed that far

Verviticus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:27 AM
Zanon

The Canucks have played so many games already. Who thinks we can win the Presidents' Trophy again?

Zanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:30 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

I dunno about Downie. I'd like him on the team but not at the cost of Schneider. You need someone with a greater upside to justify the swap. Downie is a good compliment - but that's all he is. If it's Tampa it's gotta be Connolly IMO.

The nux desperately need some youth coming up through the pipeline. Ideally, Schneider is moved for a great young Dman. TBay doesn't have one to give up. For them it's gotta be Connolly coming back the other way or no deal.

Oh, and the nux need to win the President's Trophy IMO. Home Ice turned out to be such a huge advantage for them, and they need to have it again this year. It will go down to the wire for them though...

Old
01-11-2012, 02:30 AM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanon View Post
The Canucks have played so many games already. Who thinks we can win the Presidents' Trophy again?
we aren't going to, but we'll likely be first in the conf behind the rags and bruins

Verviticus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:32 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
downie is one of three legitimately intimidating players because he is liable to snap at some point and literally murder someone on the ice without them expecting it

like he's completely insane and homicide isnt outside his realm if really pushed that far
Sorry, don't buy it. Yes, he's a whack job but I don't think anyone with a modicum of toughness is actually scared of him.

Plus, if he's that loose of a cannon why the hell would we want him?

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:33 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
He's intimidating because he will attack you whether you're game or not. The fact he's small is actually an advantage because he's not above anyone's weight class. There are usually about a half dozen to a dozen guys on the other team he could realistically drop the gloves with if things get heated - those are the 'tough guys' that have the biggest impact IMO. He also has that Gino Odjick aura about him where you never know what he's going to do. Makes guys think about him that much more.

It's not just his toughness though that makes him intriguing. Surprisingly he thinks the game pretty well and is also a good playmaker. The Canucks could use another pass 1st forward and bringing in one that's young and already had some playoff success is an added bonus.

If his teammates don't like him he's a poor fit for a team that is always on the road. If he's well liked, he's the type of guy that could fill a void, do it on a bargain contract and should still be getting better.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:33 AM
Kagee*

Quote:
The nux desperately need some youth coming up through the pipeline. Ideally, Schneider is moved for a great young Dman. TBay doesn't have one to give up. For them it's gotta be Connolly coming back the other way or no deal.
Yeah, I think MG is on the lookout for a young dman as part of his master plan, as he allegedly went hardcore after Hedman, probably still is I bet.

However I think he wants to go hardcore after the Cup this and next year, while still planning for 5+ years from now.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:36 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanon View Post
We can win it if we get on a roll in the back half of the season with the softer schedule. Reallistly Boston should win it even when their scoring comes down to earth, Thomas and their system are good game in and game out.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:37 AM
whoshouse

Quote:

No way. Downie is exactly what this team was 2 years ago. We saw how Ballard got under his skin this game and hes an obvious target for refs. With Downie on this team theres a possibility that the Canucks get even more penalties!

whoshouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:39 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

vCash: 814
Schneider was the only reason we won that game. AV and the rest of the Nucks need to stop slacking and pick it up in St. Louis.

Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:39 AM
Zanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
we aren't going to, but we'll likely be first in the conf behind the rags and bruins
That would then give the Bruins and the Rangers home-ice advantage over us if we were happen to meet either of them in the finals. That does not sit comfortably with me, even with what transpired last season.

Zanon is offline   Reply With Quote