HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will/should the Kings resign either Mitchell or Scuderi?

Old
01-11-2012, 12:27 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
From what I recall, the Kings were one of four teams pursuing Mitchell when he was a free agent. The other clubs were Vancouver, San Jose, and Washington. Mitchell met with the other organizations and was offered a one year contract. LA was the only team willing to offer more than a year, and it's paid off greatly for both him and the Kings.

It would make sense for him to re-sign with the Kings. It doesn't appear that his role would be any more diminished and he's demonstrated that he can still perform at this age.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:15 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Forgot about Muzzin and that Scuds has one more year.

I think they will let Mitchell walk if they believe Martinez or Hickey can nail down his spot.

Voynov seems to make Martinez expendable, if Hickey or maybe Muzzin can play a more all around game they might be able slide into a vacant spot if Mitchell leaves.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:20 AM
Martyros

I am not one bit sold on Martinez. Not saying i have no faith in him, but he just hasn't done much to warrant a guaranteed spot. I'd offer Mitchell another 2 years (I find him more valuable than Scuderi).

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:20 AM
Fishhead

Keep them. Our D is one of the top in the league for a reason.

We have youth in DD, JJ, VV, and AM, and a decent pipeline. Greene started out slow, but to me has been absolutely fantastic as the season goes on. He hits, he's not taking dumb penalties, he's not making mistakes, and he's playing with intensity.

Keep the status quo for a few more years. It's not difficult to sign a solid UFA or two to replace them if some of the younger guys don't pan out. Scuds and Willie have a calming effect on the defense that just can't be replaced right now.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:22 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

I gotta think he gets another two years or something, he's too good to let go. He can play top pairing minutes against top opposition and do it well.

With his injury history, I'm guessing the Kings are likely to wait until later on in the season before picking up the talks. The last thing they want is a devastating injury after just agreeing to an extension.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:37 AM
Jetteroheller

Keep both please. Barring them asking for unrealistic money to stay, which I don't see it happening but you never know.

Jetteroheller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:40 AM
markisonfire

I would keep both of them for as long as they are still productive. Look at a team like the Red Wings - they develop their defensemen until they are in their mid twenties. Mitchell and Scuderi form one third of the best defense the Kings have ever had. I hope that Dean resigns Mitchell this offseason. We are a VERY physical defense that other teams must hate to play against.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:03 AM
bobafettish*

if we can get them on the cheap then yea.
whats the point of drafting D if were never gonna use them.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:16 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Mitchell is going to he 35, he's not going to resign in LA. He'll have a better chance at a cup somewhere else.
I see Mitchell going back to his hometown Vancouver.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:26 AM
riseandfall9

I rather have a 34/35 year old Scuderi/Mitchell then a 28 year old Greene. Specially with the youth we have in Doughty, JJ, Voy, ect...

Greene is really overrated in my opinion. I hardly see Scuds and Willie make crazy mistakes.

I know it may not be totally correct but every time the other team scored a goal I see Matt Greene #2 in the play.

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:33 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

I think Greene is the kind of player you take for granted and will really miss once he's gone. He blocks a ton of shots, he can stop the cycle and pin players to the boards and he's great at clearing the front of the net. He's a big physical presence. His game has stepped up a notch since Sutter came on board as well.

That being said, I'd rather keep Scuderi and Mitchell.

Old
01-11-2012, 02:35 AM
DaAnimal

anyone know if scuds or mitchell has officially moved their family to LA?

It all depends on their family situation. I BELIEVE scuds has relocated his family to LA since he signed with us a few years ago. Im not sure what the conditions are with Mitchell.

If both of their families are here in LA, they will most likely resign if the price is right and if the club is willing to resign them.

Been calling this a long time, without Mitchell, we are TERRIBLE. He's like our MRs on defense. Scuds has been solid. I love both of these guys and it sucks that they don't get a lot of recognition.

Realistically speaking I would love to have these two guys for another 2-3 years. Let Forbert develop a bit more, use Mitchell or Scuds to mentor forbert and Des.

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:40 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

if i could choose between mitchell and scuderi. id choose to let go of scuderi.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:44 AM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Scuderi isn't a UFA at the end of this season...

Sign Mitchell to a 1 year deal, $3 million.

Like others have mentioned, without Mitchell in the lineup we just aren't the same.

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:47 AM
Johnny Utah

First off, some of you people baffle me. The Kings have said numerous times they like having 3 stay at home D and 3 puck movers on D...so why would they let go Mitchell and trade Greene and go with a bunch of soft puck movers....Who the heck is going to clear the front of the net? Who is going to check the opposition. Teams hate playing against Greene and Mitchell.

Mitchell lives in Vancouver in the off season. Which is probably why he likes LA and considered San Jose...The two closest teams to Vancouver.

If Kings let Mitchell walk, trust me, they will be in market for a similar replacement...Like a Beauchemin, Gleason, or Salvador.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:47 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
if i could choose between mitchell and scuderi. id choose to let go of scuderi.
I don't know about that.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:51 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
I rather have a 34/35 year old Scuderi/Mitchell then a 28 year old Greene. Specially with the youth we have in Doughty, JJ, Voy, ect...

Greene is really overrated in my opinion. I hardly see Scuds and Willie make crazy mistakes.

I know it may not be totally correct but every time the other team scored a goal I see Matt Greene #2 in the play.
That's because Greene belongs where he is. Do you expect all 3 of them to be perfect? No. We got lucky with Scuds and Mitchell.

Greene is the bottom of the three but he is a damn good 3rd pairing.

I love everything about our stay at home guys. I hope they stick around for a long time

Old
01-11-2012, 04:22 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
I don't know about that.
not an easy choice but id be easier off losing scuderi instead of mitchell.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 04:55 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
not an easy choice but id be easier off losing scuderi instead of mitchell.
Very true. I would have ro go with Scuderi though. But, that's because of the injuries willie has had.
I just hope Dean keeps them both. But, I could understand if they wanted to be on better teams.

Old
01-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post

Who's overating him? He's a solid bottom pairing defenseman. You won't find very many better #5-6 defensemen in the NHL.

Did you know that Greene leads the entire NHL in hits by a defenseman?

Who is going to hit and take care of the front on the PK with him gone? Jack?

Greene is also even in +/-, so he's not getting scored on at an alarming rate. The Kings PK is #2 in the NHL.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:54 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

I don't think Greene is overrated as a player, however you could argue that he's a bit overpaid for his role at $3M. Ideally you'd want to spend about half as much on 3rd pair d-men if you're up against the cap.

Old
01-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
anyone know if scuds or mitchell has officially moved their family to LA?

It all depends on their family situation. I BELIEVE scuds has relocated his family to LA since he signed with us a few years ago. Im not sure what the conditions are with Mitchell.

If both of their families are here in LA, they will most likely resign if the price is right and if the club is willing to resign them.

Been calling this a long time, without Mitchell, we are TERRIBLE. He's like our MRs on defense. Scuds has been solid. I love both of these guys and it sucks that they don't get a lot of recognition.

Realistically speaking I would love to have these two guys for another 2-3 years. Let Forbert develop a bit more, use Mitchell or Scuds to mentor forbert and Des.
Scuderi's family lives in L.A. I see them at every game. Don't think Mitchell's family lives here.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:00 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Assuming LA has the option to resign them (they might just elect to walk and go someplace else) I would let at a minimum one of them go.

Neither is a spring chicken anymore and we do need to make room for someone. Not to mention our real immediate need is an enhancement to the bottom six and a goalscorer. Resigning both Mitchell and Scuds will likely cost us at a minimum what they earn now, which is north of $7 million. Good defensemen for sure, but the odds they will both be able to keep this up long-term is unrealistic. Mitchell will be 35 at the end of the season and Scuds will be 34 when his contract is up and likely both will be pushing for more than a one-year commitment to stay.

Given Mitchell's injury past and the fact he'd be a 35+ contract, a multi-year deal I think would be dumb. Scuds is more likely my preference to keep, but I don't think he's worth the $3.65 or so we pay him annually.

Tough call. If they were closer to 30, it'd be a no-brainer to keep them, but age is a concern now.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:12 PM
BKR

I'll be happy just as long as Voynov is a regular.

BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Tough call. If they were closer to 30, it'd be a no-brainer to keep them, but age is a concern now.
I'm afraid that with Mitchell it will be the same as with O'Donnell. Perhaps his concussion history will not get him a multi-year offer, but there are teams out there that can pay him what Kings won't match. To be honest, I would be much happier to have Scuderi's contract running out this season and Mitchell's next season.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote