HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

If your were drafting in 2008 at #20 again

View Poll Results: Who would you draft?
Del Zotto 19 42.22%
Stepan 26 57.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-10-2012, 10:38 PM
SnowblindNYR

vCash: 500
If your were drafting in 2008 at #20 again

And you knew what you know up to this point and you had no guarantee that the other choice was available, who would you draft, Del Zotto or Stepan?

I was reading a thread on the main board about the 2008 draft and 2 people made a redraft (maybe it was 1 person doing it twice) and had MDZ at 7 and Step ay 10. I was surprised actually, I would have thought Stepan would go earlier in a redraft. What do you all think?

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:42 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 1000
Stepan but not an easy decision. If this is Del Zotto's third straight year of solid #s then it would be him.

01-10-2012, 11:23 PM
gotmonte

Id do it the same. Seems it worked out where we got BOTH

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:27 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

If it's the Del Zotto we've seen so far this season (50 point pace, +50 +/- pace, good defense with great offense), I take Del Zotto.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:35 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Stepan AINEC based on organization needs and I'm a big Del Zotto fan.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:45 PM
Zil

I thought this poll was going to include options like Eberle and Carlson. This is a silly poll considering we wound up with both options.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
I thought this poll was going to include options like Eberle and Carlson. This is a silly poll considering we wound up with both options.
why wasnt Stepan a first round pick?? was it his size and strength. he seems to have talent, understands the game and very smart player, great work ethic and is coachable. those are very important traits to have as an NHL player.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:27 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Stepan AINEC based on organization needs and I'm a big Del Zotto fan.
i think it's very, very, VERY close. the absolute lack of offensive talent on the back end is the teams biggest weakness imho. MDZ is easily, EASILY, the best offensive defenseman we have.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:27 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
why wasnt Stepan a first round pick?? was it his size and strength. he seems to have talent, understands the game and very smart player, great work ethic and is coachable. those are very important traits to have as an NHL player.

Old
01-11-2012, 01:10 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Funny, but more seriously, it was his lack of physical assets. He's not big. He's not fast. He doesn't have an amazing shot. Plus, that was also a really good first round. It's not like this was a thin draft.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:21 AM
Captain Taco

Id go with Stepan.Even though MDZ is an incredible offensive threat as a defensemen and becoming a lot better at defense. Stepan has proved he will be a dominate forward in this league and I feel we haven't even seen his full potential yet. Not every day you find such a good passing and shooting forward.

Captain Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 05:55 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Some players just fly under the radar. A lot of people were shocked Stepan went in the 2nd round. Bluenote13, who does a draft preview here, (and seems to have disappeared), was one of the few knowledgeable posters that was aware of Stepan, and even he had him as a 3rd round pick.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 06:02 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
i think it's very, very, VERY close. the absolute lack of offensive talent on the back end is the teams biggest weakness imho. MDZ is easily, EASILY, the best offensive defenseman we have.
MDZ remains the ONLY offensive D-man (of any note) in the organization. While Stepan was a superb pick, and has developed into a quality player, offensive D-man like MDZ are a premium in the NHL. Both players are turning out to be among the better players taken in that draft...anybody want Josh Bailey or Luca Sbisa over MDZ...how about Tedenby over Stepan...MDZ is still the pick IMO.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 07:21 AM
JayQueensNY88*

All I have to say is, Defense wins Championships. Depth on defense is major.I always been a fan of both players,but still from day 1,I have always said DelZotto will be a top 3, 50-60 point d-man. Draft worked out well,people got picked where they got picked for a reason.I wouldn't change a thing.LET'S GO RANGERS!!!!!!

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 07:49 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Del Zotto.

Speed, size and skill on the back end at the time, but with hindsight he's become a very good defender as well.

Very hard to pass up at 20th overall.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 09:13 AM
DutchShamrock

I think it's interesting that the Flyers took Sbisa one pick ahead of MDZ and we took Sanguinetti one pick ahead of Giroux. The fortunes of both teams could be a bit different with just two different choices on two different days. Plus its wild that we draft so close to the Flyers and Devils so often.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 09:20 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
I think it's interesting that the Flyers took Sbisa one pick ahead of MDZ and we took Sanguinetti one pick ahead of Giroux. The fortunes of both teams could be a bit different with just two different choices on two different days. Plus its wild that we draft so close to the Flyers and Devils so often.
Flyers got the better of that lol. Giroux is one of the 5 best players in the game.

Old
01-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

the funny thing about MDZ is that, this season, you'd be hard pressed to point out even say 10 glaring mistakes he's made. this is despite playing 20+ mins a night on the 2nd pairing. He just seems to have eliminated 99% of the mistakes in his game. He's not turning the puck over all that much, he's not forcing passes, if the stretch plays arent there he doesnt make em.

I never put too much stock in +/- unless it's an outlier on a team. a -15 on a team of mostly pluses is a big red flag to me. a guy who has a +/- that is nearly double the next closest player is definitely an outlier, and to me shows that he actually is doing something right out there. He won't get a Norris Trophy vote this year, but, imho, he's on his way in that direction.

Old
01-11-2012, 09:28 AM
KreiMeARiver
PHI has potential!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
haha exactly. kinda silly, if you ask me.

I can't believe Eberle went 22nd. He's already an all-star.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:29 AM
skroob**

Quote:
Flyers got the better of that lol. Giroux is one of the 5 best players in the game.
and it wasn't even some shrewed move on the flyers part. they WANTED Bobby instead!

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:46 AM
ocarina

Quote:
The funny thing I'll always remember on this board, when Stepan was drafted, a lot of people were up in arms about how it was a reach.

Heck, I had never heard of him until we drafted him, though considering he was the leading scorer for Shattuck St. Mary's, I always wondered why he didn't get more hype.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Pugs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
The funny thing I'll always remember on this board, when Stepan was drafted, a lot of people were up in arms about how it was a reach.

Heck, I had never heard of him until we drafted him, though considering he was the leading scorer for Shattuck St. Mary's, I always wondered why he didn't get more hype.
This is because everyone was gaga over Jared Staal. That would've been fun.

As for the original question, it's a tough one for me because both of these guys are pretty critical to the future success of this team.

The thing is, as they are now, today, we've got a top-4 offensive d-man and a top-6 center, which right there is pretty good for a No. 20 and No. 51 overall. But if either or both of them can continue to progress, then we've got two fantastic players on our hands here.

Also, funny that Kundratek is set to make his debut tonight in Washington. I bet he would've gotten the call here with all these injuries at some point.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:09 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs35 View Post
This is because everyone was gaga over Jared Staal. That would've been fun.

As for the original question, it's a tough one for me because both of these guys are pretty critical to the future success of this team.

The thing is, as they are now, today, we've got a top-4 offensive d-man and a top-6 center, which right there is pretty good for a No. 20 and No. 51 overall. But if either or both of them can continue to progress, then we've got two fantastic players on our hands here.

Also, funny that Kundratek is set to make his debut tonight in Washington. I bet he would've gotten the call here with all these injuries at some point.
Just to add to that last part, if we didn't trade Kundratek, Bickel likely never gets a call-up from us. It's pretty crazy how much defensive depth the team has.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:28 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
Id do it the same. Seems it worked out where we got BOTH
indeed. Del Zotto would not be available where Step was.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

funny thing is, Stepans skating is still effing hideous. hes got possibly the ugliest stride in the NHL. if he could fix his stride, he'd be that much better.