HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Looking into the future

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-11-2012, 10:16 AM
  #1
VFL615*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Middle Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 735
vCash: 500
Looking into the future

I got something to throw out that i have not seen anyone really get into.

The contract details with Suter and Weber have been going on for awhile. The Preds knew this day was coming. If i was the GM of the team i think that the concerns of Weber and Suter would have been known behind closed doors before free agency last year. Why do yall think that Poile is now trying to get these two guys to hold on and see what happens after the season this year? Why was there no effort to add top guys over the summer to improve the team and why is Poile now saying give me a chance after this season. Did they think Bergfors, Smith, and Ellis would change their mind on the future of the team or is this Poile's high likelyhood of playing chicken which could blow up in his face?

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:23 AM
  #2
PredsV82
No
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grumpyville
Country: St Kitts and Nevis
Posts: 16,748
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
I got something to throw out that i have not seen anyone really get into.

The contract details with Suter and Weber have been going on for awhile. The Preds knew this day was coming. If i was the GM of the team i think that the concerns of Weber and Suter would have been known behind closed doors before free agency last year. Why do yall think that Poile is now trying to get these two guys to hold on and see what happens after the season this year? Why was there no effort to add top guys over the summer to improve the team and why is Poile now saying give me a chance after this season. Did they think Bergfors, Smith, and Ellis would change their mind on the future of the team or is this Poile's high likelyhood of playing chicken which could blow up in his face?
well, first off, Im not sure where you get it that Poile is saying "give me a chance after this season"... I havent seen or heard that anywhere

second, there werent a lot of true upgrades available this past summer, and the ones that were(Carter) really werent available for what we have to offer in trade.

there are some things you just cant force.... you cant make another GM trade you a star player... you cant make a pending RFA sign a long term extension if he doesnt want to.

I honestly dont think Poile is "playing chicken"... I think he is doing what he thinks is in the best interest of the team long term and Suter and Weber are being unreasonable if they are exopecting him to pull an elite forward out of his ass on command...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:38 AM
  #3
RaiderDoug
Registered User
 
RaiderDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Knoxville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
I got something to throw out that i have not seen anyone really get into.

The contract details with Suter and Weber have been going on for awhile. The Preds knew this day was coming. If i was the GM of the team i think that the concerns of Weber and Suter would have been known behind closed doors before free agency last year. Why do yall think that Poile is now trying to get these two guys to hold on and see what happens after the season this year? Why was there no effort to add top guys over the summer to improve the team and why is Poile now saying give me a chance after this season. Did they think Bergfors, Smith, and Ellis would change their mind on the future of the team or is this Poile's high likelyhood of playing chicken which could blow up in his face?
I'm not 100% sold that Weber/Suter's sole motivation for not signing at this point is "waiting for improvement". It's very possible both of these guys just want to test FA. Maybe they just both want to play in a bigger spotlight. Maybe they want the UFA megabucks.

Let's face it, with young players like Smith, Wilson, Ellis, Josi - it's not hard to see this team has a bright future probably sooner than later. If we're waiting on impact forwards, for the first time in a long time (maybe ever except for Rads), we might have 2 on our roster (wilson, smith), just give them a little time to learn the ropes.

All DP can do is put together a competitive offer (and I have no reason to believe that we haven't), and if they don't want to sign, so be it.

As for FA, I was one clamoring for a signing, and so far alot of the guys I wanted have been hit (Fleishmann, Cole) or miss (Gagne, a bunch of others). I don't know that anyone that was an FA would have moved the meter enough if Weber/Suter's sole motivation was to land other impact players.

Wouldn't it be funny if they go all the way to FA, and then the biggest offer just happens to be ours with all our capspace?

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:40 AM
  #4
VFL615*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Middle Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
well, first off, Im not sure where you get it that Poile is saying "give me a chance after this season"... I havent seen or heard that anywhere

second, there werent a lot of true upgrades available this past summer, and the ones that were(Carter) really werent available for what we have to offer in trade.

there are some things you just cant force.... you cant make another GM trade you a star player... you cant make a pending RFA sign a long term extension if he doesnt want to.

I honestly dont think Poile is "playing chicken"... I think he is doing what he thinks is in the best interest of the team long term and Suter and Weber are being unreasonable if they are exopecting him to pull an elite forward out of his ass on command...
You can listen to the interview on 104.5 with Poile last week it has also been referenced by others who cover the predators. Poile feels he will have to pay to much for a guy near the trade deadline and he would like to wait until after the season is over to make a move.

Not to many last year i agree. Who is going to be available that the Preds have a legit shot at after this year though?

You and others reference a "forward" and you say "foward out of his *** on command"
Is something out their that says Weber and Suter stated they wanted better forwards or are you making that up?

I would like to know exactly what it is the two are asking for.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:45 AM
  #5
VFL615*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Middle Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
I'm not 100% sold that Weber/Suter's sole motivation for not signing at this point is "waiting for improvement". It's very possible both of these guys just want to test FA. Maybe they just both want to play in a bigger spotlight. Maybe they want the UFA megabucks.

Let's face it, with young players like Smith, Wilson, Ellis, Josi - it's not hard to see this team has a bright future probably sooner than later. If we're waiting on impact forwards, for the first time in a long time (maybe ever except for Rads), we might have 2 on our roster (wilson, smith), just give them a little time to learn the ropes.

All DP can do is put together a competitive offer (and I have no reason to believe that we haven't), and if they don't want to sign, so be it.

As for FA, I was one clamoring for a signing, and so far alot of the guys I wanted have been hit (Fleishmann, Cole) or miss (Gagne, a bunch of others). I don't know that anyone that was an FA would have moved the meter enough if Weber/Suter's sole motivation was to land other impact players.

Wouldn't it be funny if they go all the way to FA, and then the biggest offer just happens to be ours with all our capspace?
Great post and ideas on things. I think we have some great guys who can be big time on this team as well.
I have kinda thought from the get that we could get two of the big three but it was slim we would keep them all. We already have Peks so that leaves Weber and Suter.
What do you do with the guy who wants to move on or if both want to move on. Do you mess around and get nothing for them or do you make some big moves while being honest with Predsnation?

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:02 AM
  #6
sighthndlady
Registered User
 
sighthndlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
Great post and ideas on things. I think we have some great guys who can be big time on this team as well.
I have kinda thought from the get that we could get two of the big three but it was slim we would keep them all. We already have Peks so that leaves Weber and Suter.
What do you do with the guy who wants to move on or if both want to move on. Do you mess around and get nothing for them or do you make some big moves while being honest with Predsnation?
DP has Weber for another year no matter what.

Even if he's not going to be here next year, do you really not want Suter on the team from March through May?

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:34 AM
  #7
PredsV82
No
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grumpyville
Country: St Kitts and Nevis
Posts: 16,748
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
You can listen to the interview on 104.5 with Poile last week it has also been referenced by others who cover the predators. Poile feels he will have to pay to much for a guy near the trade deadline and he would like to wait until after the season is over to make a move.

Not to many last year i agree. Who is going to be available that the Preds have a legit shot at after this year though?

You and others reference a "forward" and you say "foward out of his *** on command"
Is something out their that says Weber and Suter stated they wanted better forwards or are you making that up?

I would like to know exactly what it is the two are asking for.
there have been multiple references to the fact that we are an elite forward way from being a serious cup contender, but aside from that, what else could Suter and Weber be looking for?? certainly not another defenseman, or a goalie??

the bolded is the $14 Million Dollar Question, and we would all like to know the answer to that... I can understand the fact that WE dont know... but what I wonder is have Suter and Weber been explicit with Poile as to what would satisfy them. If they have, then Poile probably has a pretty good idea of whether he can satsify them or not...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:34 AM
  #8
VFL615*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Middle Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
DP has Weber for another year no matter what.

Even if he's not going to be here next year, do you really not want Suter on the team from March through May?
I would like to sign Suter but if i had any knowledge that he was going to bail i would trade him in a heartbeat. I think getting a top guy for 2-3 years with a trade for Suter would be better for the team in the long run than having him from Feb 27 until the season ends.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:36 AM
  #9
PredsV82
No
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grumpyville
Country: St Kitts and Nevis
Posts: 16,748
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
DP has Weber for another year no matter what.

Even if he's not going to be here next year, do you really not want Suter on the team from March through May?
the answer to that is, it depends on what we can get for him. If we know absolutely for sure that Suter is leaving in the summer, AND we can get a player like JVR from Philly in return, then I say trade him.

but, if all we are getting is picks/prospects, then just keep him for this years playoff run and hope for the best

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:39 AM
  #10
VFL615*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Middle Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
there have been multiple references to the fact that we are an elite forward way from being a serious cup contender, but aside from that, what else could Suter and Weber be looking for?? certainly not another defenseman, or a goalie??

the bolded is the $14 Million Dollar Question, and we would all like to know the answer to that... I can understand the fact that WE dont know... but what I wonder is have Suter and Weber been explicit with Poile as to what would satisfy them. If they have, then Poile probably has a pretty good idea of whether he can satsify them or not...
Sure i have seen the multiple references to needeing a top forward, i am one of them.
However, I have never seen anything about Weber and Suter asking for better forwards. Who knows what they really want. We can all speculate though based on what we think the team needs to be a "contender" the key word that has been stated. The $14 million dollar ? is interesting. I hope the team makes the right moves and does not leave the place in rubbish.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:52 AM
  #11
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Legionnaire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Largo
Country: United States
Posts: 2,940
vCash: 500
what if we signed them both to long-term contracts on the condition that they are traded in the off-season? (to a certain list of teams submitted by each player)

outrageous I know, and i'm not advocating it. But i'm watching Flyers-Canes replay and started thinking about the Flyers. The haul that they got for Richards and Carter who are high level forwards but not elite gamebreakers. What could the Preds get for Weber and Suter, two elite level d-men, if they were locked up to long contracts? Certainly enough to benefit the franchise for a long time.

Flyers had Giroux already, Preds have Rinne. X-factor would be Jagr signing with the Flyers, but we could potentially have Radulov coming back (or include his rights to increase the return). And the Flyers lost Pronger on top of all that.

Yes it's wildly ridiculous, and there's no way DP will even allows his brain to venture that far from the norm. But the Preds could certainly add a plethora of good young talent at forward and defense from a situation like that.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:02 PM
  #12
NoNecksCurse
Registered User
 
NoNecksCurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,681
vCash: 500
guys if BOS can survive the joe thornton trade.. and they did. look at them now, they're a juggernaut.. we will be fine with or without suter/weber. if we can't sign them, trade them. (only DP knows, so we can only speculate).. but let me say one thing, if DP knows 100% he can't sign suter.. TRADE HIM NOW. it will be a better return sooner. we can also use that $7 mil saved for both offensive and defensive help (positives) come free agency

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:37 PM
  #13
Predsboro
Registered User
 
Predsboro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
(only DP knows, so we can only speculate).. but let me say one thing, if DP knows 100% he can't sign suter.. TRADE HIM NOW. it will be a better return sooner. we can also use that $7 mil saved for both offensive and defensive help (positives) come free agency
I tend to agree ... although I, like most all of you want to sign them. I just feel that if Suter will not sign before the trade deadline, we have to get something for him rather than let him walk for nothing on July 1 (or the pick(s) for trading him just prior to the draft).

As far as Weber, it isn't a 100% surety that his is here at least one more year as stated in a post above. If someone signs him to a crazy high offer sheet, he could be gone as well. Less likely as the penalty for doing so is crazy high but a possibility nonetheless.

Back to Suter ... I have stated before that I would prefer to keep Suter if forced to choose between 20 and 6. Glad I'm not in GMDP's shoes right now.

Predsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:48 PM
  #14
token grinder
formerly sirryan189
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Franklin
Country: United States
Posts: 4,280
vCash: 500
I would love for one of these guys to be on tootoo's show. I would show up and be the dick fan who asks the question "without saying, I am letting my agent handle it, what exactly are you looking for in order to re-sign, and do ou really want to be here.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:03 PM
  #15
Predsboro
Registered User
 
Predsboro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I would love for one of these guys to be on tootoo's show. I would show up and be the dick fan who asks the question "without saying, I am letting my agent handle it, what exactly are you looking for in order to re-sign, and do ou really want to be here.
and the answer? "I'm just looking at next game and what we can do to win against the ______________ and the contract stuff will work itself out."

Predsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:03 PM
  #16
JR303
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I would love for one of these guys to be on tootoo's show. I would show up and be the dick fan who asks the question "without saying, I am letting my agent handle it, what exactly are you looking for in order to re-sign, and do ou really want to be here.
We know you would.

JR303 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:32 PM
  #17
PredsV82
No
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grumpyville
Country: St Kitts and Nevis
Posts: 16,748
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I would love for one of these guys to be on tootoo's show. I would show up and be the dick fan who asks the question "without saying, I am letting my agent handle it, what exactly are you looking for in order to re-sign, and do ou really want to be here.
which is exactly why you wont see wither of those two on his show until the situation is resolved.

You know thats gonna be all that poile hears from the media until the trade deadline...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 04:13 PM
  #18
YouAreTheGovt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
What can we get for $14-$15 Million if we trade both of them?

YouAreTheGovt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 04:17 PM
  #19
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreTheGovt View Post
What can we get for $14-$15 Million if we trade both of them?
Nice username

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 04:50 PM
  #20
YouAreTheGovt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Nice username
It's been my internet handle since AOL 2.0. If you know where it is from, you'd be the first person in 15 years to openly acknowledge it.

YouAreTheGovt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 05:42 PM
  #21
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 46,790
vCash: 500
Bad Religion?

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 06:08 PM
  #22
NoNecksCurse
Registered User
 
NoNecksCurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreTheGovt View Post
What can we get for $14-$15 Million if we trade both of them?
with 15 million, at least 2 60 pt wingers and a top 2 defenseman or 2 top 4 defenseman and an elite scorer, or 2 top 4 defenseman and 2 top 6 forwards... etc

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 07:10 PM
  #23
PredsV82
No
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grumpyville
Country: St Kitts and Nevis
Posts: 16,748
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
with 15 million, at least 2 60 pt wingers and a top 2 defenseman or 2 top 4 defenseman and an elite scorer, or 2 top 4 defenseman and 2 top 6 forwards... etc
Assuming, of course, that the ones available are willing to play in nashville for market money, and we don't have to ridiculously overpay

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 07:34 PM
  #24
NoNecksCurse
Registered User
 
NoNecksCurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Assuming, of course, that the ones available are willing to play in nashville for market money, and we don't have to ridiculously overpay
i think thats being moderate.. price wise. like you said, i doubt every FA is going to sign w/ NSH

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:20 PM
  #25
RaiderDoug
Registered User
 
RaiderDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Knoxville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,979
vCash: 500
The problem is, there's really not that much out there as FA.

Looked over a list I found on a website, and the upcoming FA class has slim pickings at the forward spot.

Some of marquee guys:

C Mikhail Grabovski - probably going to be way overpriced
RW Semin - not a good fit for us
RW Parise - would be great
RW Kostitsyn - would be a good fit if SK is still around, even if he's not.
RW Milan Hejduk - bleh.

Most of the rest are too unreliable (Hemsky), too old, or too inconsistent. There's some nice D-men out there though.

We might be faced with a problem similar to the Panthers, where you have to give stupid money to mediocre players because you have to reach the cap floor.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.