HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marchand/Salo Incident UPD: Suspended 5 games + league reaction

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2012, 02:38 AM
Barney Gumble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
and I don't think you can say difinitively that Raymond's intent wasn't to get the better of Marchand.
Raymond didn't give Marchand a few rabbit punches (punch to the back of the head) just immediately preceding the hit either.

Old
01-11-2012, 02:41 AM
TTOMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
Just bring up the 2004 World Series riot. Boston has nothing to be proud of either.
No doubt, remind them how many people died in our riot. Poor girl in Boston didn't even get to see the World Series.

Old
01-11-2012, 03:11 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
I got several pages into the thread looking for this clip, but couldn't see it posted. I apologize if someone has already posted it. Fans sometimes have the blinders on so tight it's staggering. How many games was Raymond suspended for when he did the same thing to Marchand in the playoffs?

I doubt that the league was going to suspend ANOTHER canuck in the playoffs. Especially considering the video that you posted is Raymond's response to what Marchand did in game 2 that also went uncalled.

How do people not remember that it was Marchand that started all these low hits?

Marchand also doesnt get hit at or below the knees.

In the Marchand Salo hit, he clearly changes his path at goes TOWARDS Marchand. I didnt see Raymond 1) change his path to make the hit worse and 2) He also played the puck which Marchand didnt.

I agree that there's no telling what the intent was. My personal opinion is that Raymond probably wanted to get him back for the low bridge he received dangerously close to the boards during Game 2.

Old
01-11-2012, 03:42 AM
MS

Quote:
I got several pages into the thread looking for this clip, but couldn't see it posted. I apologize if someone has already posted it. Fans sometimes have the blinders on so tight it's staggering. How many games was Raymond suspended for when he did the same thing to Marchand in the playoffs?

Sigh.

Again :

1) Marchand is initiating a hit on Raymond, so Raymond is allowed to brace himself with his hip or his shoulder - Marchand is an eligible target and hip-checking him in that situation is completely legal.

Conversely, Salo is not an eligible target. He hasn't touched the puck, and isn't attempting to hit Marchand. Marchand isn't 'holding his ground' like Raymond did - he actively changes direction to throw a hit on a player he isn't allowed to hit.

2) Raymond uses his hip to hit Marchand. It's on the borderline of being low, but is a traditional hipcheck of the legal and accepted style.

Marchand throws an NHL chop block on Salo, where he leads with his shoulder and chops out Salo's knees while skating toward him.

Raymond's hit is, at worst, a 2 minute minor. Maybe not even that - it's touch and go.

Marchand's hit is both a serious interference play and one of the most violent clipping plays you'll ever see due to the speed he's carrying when he attacks the opposing player's knees - normally players throwing hipchecks (like Raymond) are nearly stationary.

Old
01-11-2012, 04:24 AM
Tank Hankerous*

I hate other teams...I do.

I hate the Calgary Flames for Joel Otto kicking it in on Kirk McLean in 1989.

I hate Edmonton for beating us for so many years when I was a kid.

I hate Minnesota for putting me asleep in the early 2000s.

I hate Colorado for being lucky to be handed a cup contender like Quebec, and then acting like it was their team all along.

Oh...and I hate Ottawa because that's where all the politicians live.

But the Boston Bruins? I wouldn't call it hate that I have for them. Its more like disdain. We hated the Russians during the cold war. I feel more like they're North Korea. Just some weird bizarro world I am glad I don't live in.

One reason I signed up here is because you can talk hockey with fans of other teams. With the Bruins, its never about hockey. Its all about boorish discussions over who is tougher, as if this were elementary school, and they act like they are some type of dynasty after winning their first cup since the Canucks were toiling as an expansion team.

You talk to their fans and its all about who is man enough to fight who, even when they praise Tim Thomas they aren't even knowledgable enough to praise his lateral movement or aggressive play on the puck, but are willing to hold a parade every time he slashes someone.

With Brad Marchand, its amazing. They aren't saying that he should not have gotten 5 games. They are suggesting that he should have gotten zero games, no misconduct, and that Salo was the one doing something illegal.

I have said it before, Bruins fans are the equivalent of a bunch of 20 year old boys having their first beer watching MMA.

Old
01-11-2012, 04:45 AM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank Hankerous View Post

I hate Colorado for being lucky to be handed a cup contender like Quebec, and then acting like it was their team all along.

But the Boston Bruins? I wouldn't call it hate that I have for them. Its more like disdain. We hated the Russians during the cold war. I feel more like they're North Korea. Just some weird bizarro world I am glad I don't live in.

One reason I signed up here is because you can talk hockey with fans of other teams. With the Bruins, its never about hockey. Its all about boorish discussions over who is tougher, as if this were elementary school, and they act like they are some type of dynasty after winning their first cup since the Canucks were toiling as an expansion team.

You talk to their fans and its all about who is man enough to fight who, even when they praise Tim Thomas they aren't even knowledgable enough to praise his lateral movement or aggressive play on the puck, but are willing to hold a parade every time he slashes someone.

With Brad Marchand, its amazing. They aren't saying that he should not have gotten 5 games. They are suggesting that he should have gotten zero games, no misconduct, and that Salo was the one doing something illegal.

I have said it before, Bruins fans are the equivalent of a bunch of 20 year old boys having their first beer watching MMA.
great post.

And as Bieksa put it "this is hockey... not MMA"

Old
01-11-2012, 05:34 AM
yoss

I feel sorry for those rare Bruins fans who are also actually hockey fans. Wait, on second thought, no i don't. For the obvious reason. That fan base and the whole Bruin organization.. i get the use of the word disdain. For me it is disgust as well. I think a world of difference would be made if they were man enough to own up to their actions, and call a spade a spade. I lose respect for players a coach, gm, media, fans when you can't just take responsibility for your actions, or admit that it was a dirty play. There is no defense of what Marchand did. There is no question as to his intent. It was a cold, calculated, malevolent "hit".

I've seen coaches skirt the issue, call it for what it was with carefully measured words, (which is refreshing to see, that's why say what you want about him, i respect Torterella,) but for Julien to be saying that was not a dirty play and suggest indirectly that it was somehow Sami's fault (?!?!) is waaay too much for me. To misconstrue it as "defensive" there is just no way. Either he is a complete idiot regarding hockey, in which case, why is he the coach of an NHL team? Or he is a bold faced liar. That is my opinion. He needs to look at that Shanahan video again. Pretty straightforward to the vast majority of people with any hockey knowledge, in my opinion.

Ok, i really need to let this one go now. I don't like thinking this much about the Bruins, it isn't healthy.

Last edited by yoss: 01-11-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old
01-11-2012, 05:36 AM
Slashy McSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank Hankerous View Post

They talk about toughness because the Bruins are built around toughness. It is a huge reason why they are so good. The philosophy of the team is reflected in the fans. There are a lot of knowledgeable Bruins fans, but yeah, fighting and toughness is usually central to their arguments.

It shouldn't be surprising, though. The same thing happens here. Instead of toughness, Vancouver is mainly built around speed and "making teams pay on the PP"; so what you see is a lot of discussion about officiating, and what penalties should have been called, etc. Many people probably look at this forum and think all we do is complain about not getting PP's, just like we may look at the Bruin's forum and think all they talk about is beating opposing teams up.

And I do agree their defense of Marchand is silly, but it's expected, and it's no different than posters here defending Vancouver players diving to try and draw penalties so they can capitalize on the PP. Both teams play to their strengths, and the fans will usually defend them.

Old
01-11-2012, 06:26 AM
GTHP95

I know you guys probably touched on this ealier but I cant help but share this funny article with you guys.

@passittobulis
"Here's @CanucksArmy's breakdown of the Gallagher/Thornton malarkey."

http://canucksarmy.com/2012/1/10/sha...tony-gallagher

Old
01-11-2012, 06:56 AM
Abaddon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTHP95 View Post
I know you guys probably touched on this ealier but I cant help but share this funny article with you guys.

@passittobulis
"Here's @CanucksArmy's breakdown of the Gallagher/Thornton malarkey."

http://canucksarmy.com/2012/1/10/sha...tony-gallagher
Article was too long and also that guy really needs to change his name. "Drance" sounds like some Shane O'Brien and speed collaboration.

Old
01-11-2012, 10:43 AM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashy McSlewfoot View Post
They talk about toughness because the Bruins are built around toughness. It is a huge reason why they are so good. The philosophy of the team is reflected in the fans. There are a lot of knowledgeable Bruins fans, but yeah, fighting and toughness is usually central to their arguments.

It shouldn't be surprising, though. The same thing happens here. Instead of toughness, Vancouver is mainly built around speed and "making teams pay on the PP"; so what you see is a lot of discussion about officiating, and what penalties should have been called, etc. Many people probably look at this forum and think all we do is complain about not getting PP's, just like we may look at the Bruin's forum and think all they talk about is beating opposing teams up.

And I do agree their defense of Marchand is silly, but it's expected, and it's no different than posters here defending Vancouver players diving to try and draw penalties so they can capitalize on the PP. Both teams play to their strengths, and the fans will usually defend them.
Nice, objective post. Couldn't agree more.

Surprised all this complaining is still going on. Marchand is gone for 5 games, you guys got what you want, plus you won the game.

Both sides should just let it drop at this point. There's a good rivalry, no need for either side to waste this much energy making blanket statements about people they don't know at all.

Just my take, which I'm sure I'll be flamed for, but whatever.

Last edited by Free Torts: 01-11-2012 at 11:16 AM. Reason: no need to fan the flames
Old
01-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post

Surprised all this complaining is still going on. Marchand is gone for 5 games, you guys got what you want, plus you won the game.

Both sides should just let it drop at this point. There's a good rivalry, no need for either side to waste this much energy making blanket statements about people they don't know at all.

No I agree... definitely time to move on. This will have died by the time the two teams meet in Vancouver next season.

Old
01-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
you guys got what you want, plus you won the game.
Tactical victory but strategic loss. Two points vs losing a top 4 defenseman for who knows how long (Salo has missed the next two games but I guess Jack Edwards still thinks he's faking it ).

Old
01-11-2012, 11:38 AM
arsmaster

This is getting old, only 12 posts until its locked....

Buck Foston!

Old
01-11-2012, 11:42 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 3746
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
No I agree... definitely time to move on. This will have died by the time the two teams meet in Vancouver next season.
When a Canucks fan and a Bruins fan agree I know it's time to quit while we're ahead.

Let's move on.