HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT: Playoff coming to college football according to Matt Hayes

Old
01-10-2012, 02:11 PM
cutchemist42

vCash: 500
OT: Playoff coming to college football according to Matt Hayes

Check his Twitter; anyone know how accurate he is? I think this is expected after bowl game viewership and attendance reached a 30 year low and last night's BCS game and Orange Bowl were some of the worst rated BCS games ever.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...M&sct=cf_t2_a4

Matt_HayesSN Matt Hayes
BCS official on playoff: "it gets done." How and why -- and how SEC still league to chase even with playoff. My column: *******/z85qJX

Matt_HayesSN Matt Hayes
BCS playoff work ahead: where games played, when they will be played, format. Tomorrow's meeting is everyone gets on board -- unlike 2008

Matt_HayesSN Matt Hayes
Just filed: The playoff is here. BCS official on playoff talks: "It gets done" & "at least 60" options on table. psted shortly @sportingnews

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:53 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Nothing would make me happier, but somehow doubt that the big conferences and BCS sponsors want to give up the cash cows they've got. If viewership really is dropping though.....

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

I cannot understand why there isn't yet playoff in the US college football.

The NCAA should just institute a system similar to the top level Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) Football.

There are 4 conferences (Maritimes, Quebec, Ontario, West), that each play a complete regular season and then each have a short different playoff to choose the four conference champions.

Then, there are two bowl games, the Uteck Bowl and the Mitchell Bowl (what conference plays against who rotates every year) and the two winners meet in the Vanier Cup game to determine a true National Champion!

The NCAA version would be bigger, but they could simply integrate their vrious ''bowls'' as the different playoff games just like we did!

I dont follow NCAA football because it's soooooo stupidly managed, but I love following the CIS on Radio-Canada (and live at the PEPS Stadium of my Laval U Rouge et Or).

Acesolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:42 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

I think it's time the NCAA notices that College Football doesn't revolve around the SEC. Hopefully this helps with that.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

16 teams
10 conference champions (after MWC-CUSA alliance)
6 at large teams

first round played at the higher seed home

quarter finals played at the Rose, Sugar, Fiesta and Orange Bowls

final four played at two of those sites on a rotating basis

national championship played at one of those sites ala NCAA bball

call the whole thing "December Madness" and let the other bowls exist as they were for the other teams

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Grudy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
Actually, let's do this:

Argument:
But you can't have a playoff system! These are student-athletes. You can't institute a playoff system and have all these students miss time from school!

Reality:
The NCAA provides a playoff system for every single sport at every level, except one.

The New Reality:
Look no further than the Big Ten, where two of their most storied programs are now scandal-ridden. There are other programs in scandals across the country. Bigger programs are trying to dictate how the smaller programs can be relevant or into irrelevancy. For two years the big story involved the lineup shuffle we know as conference realignment. It's now year after year that the concentration of football power lies within states somewhere along the shore of the former Confederacy, all within a single conference. And there's some wonder why there's an interest drop-off?

Playoffs. The new ratings and interest booster.

Grudy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:05 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

I have a feeling that after the ratings disaster last night (which I boycotted) that we'll see a plus one. Jim Delaney only has control over the process for as long as they let him have control of the process, and the idea that Alabama was the best team in the country this season is a farce.

Old
01-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
I have a feeling that after the ratings disaster last night (which I boycotted) that we'll see a plus one. Jim Delaney only has control over the process for as long as they let him have control of the process, and the idea that Alabama was the best team in the country this season is a farce.
It's certain, look at this quote from the article:

'' ...iron out a plan that protects the importance of the regular season—the one aspect BCS leaders believe separates the game from every other—while embracing a new frontier for the poll-driven sport.''

They are soooooooo stupid! The regular season doesn't matter at all right now for a great many teams because those jackasses hand-pick their own guys to play for the ''Championship'' (in name only)!

This is why March Madness is so great, because everyone who gets in has a shot at glory!

I cant believe they can still be blind after this week the NFL set a new all time Wildcard playoff game TV ratings record, and the ''championship game'' set a low ratings record!

Acesolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:02 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
I really don't see what's so hard about implementing the I-AA playoff system.

This is basically all you have to do to make the BCS title game.

Be ranked top 5 in the preseason polls.

Schedule a bunch of weak D-I and FCS schools.

Maybe lose a game in conference. Preferrably early so you drop down to say 9 or 10 but have 5-7 weeks to jump back up in the standings.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:54 PM
cutchemist42

I just hated this season because what did it prove in terms of regular season scheduling. The BCS apologetics love to say the regular season is the playoffs. But what does it mean when LSU schedules out-of-conference games against Pac12/Rose Bowl champ Oregon, BigEast/Orange Bowl champ West Virginia, Alabama in a road game, and plays an extra SEC championship game against a top 20 Georgia and they still have to play Alabama who had a terrible out-of-conference schedule.

There are still people saying too the regular season is important after last night. I hope LSU learns a lesson that until playoffs come, do not bother making your schedule hard because you truly don't reap any benefits from it.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:56 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Nothing would make me happier, but somehow doubt that the big conferences and BCS sponsors want to give up the cash cows they've got. If viewership really is dropping though.....
The Semi finals can still be bowl games if you want

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

Finally!

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 06:18 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Bowl matchups were terrible this year and bowl ratings are matchup-driven.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 06:30 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
The Semi finals can still be bowl games if you want
Honestly couldn't care less if they kept the bowl names or not, but a big part of me still doubts that they'll do away with them any time soon, especially given how much money the locals pump into the system, particularly in Pasadena which is a huge part of their celebrations.

Just want a tournament, don't care what they call everything.

Old
01-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

the bowl system will remain for every team not involved in a tournament so whatever

Old
01-11-2012, 01:43 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post

The NCAA should just institute a system similar to the top level Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) Football.

There are 4 conferences (Maritimes, Quebec, Ontario, West), that each play a complete regular season and then each have a short different playoff to choose the four conference champions.

Then, there are two bowl games, the Uteck Bowl and the Mitchell Bowl (what conference plays against who rotates every year) and the two winners meet in the Vanier Cup game to determine a true National Champion!

The NCAA version would be bigger, but they could simply integrate their vrious ''bowls'' as the different playoff games just like we did!
The fact that it would be bigger is the problem. Let's say you have 68 teams, like basketball's "March Madness". A single-knockout tournament takes 8 rounds. In the case of basketball, you can play every 2nd night, and run the entire tournament in 3 weeks. Due to the physical roughness of football, 1 game per week is about all that the human body can handle. You're talking approximately 2 months just for the playoffs, IN ADDITION TO THE REGULAR SEASON.

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Alex The Loyal
Grimace Returns

This might just give me a reason to give a **** about College Football

Alex The Loyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
call the whole thing "December Madness" and let the other bowls exist as they were for the other teams
Nah, it's got to be alliterative for it to catch on. How about December Derangement?

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:39 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Well, to be honest, I personally would prefer one of the following three systems for a playoffs.

8-teams - simple elite-eight format. You'd probably have to take the winners of the SEC, Big Ten, Big Twelve, and Pac 12 and then have four at large bids (four highest ranked teams that didn't win their conferences). However, this might be too small. Big East and ACC would complain, but having their champs in as well really limits the at large teams, which already would be small and very much depending on baseless polls. 3 rounds long.

12-teams - identical to the NFL playoffs. Four teams get a first round bye, eight teams play in the first week. 4 rounds long.

16-teams - simple sweet 16 format. No byes, 16 teams seeded in a mini-madness tournament until the championship game. Allows for conference champions and a good number of at large teams, and really... once you get out of the top ten in the polling you're really far down there and don't have much to stand on from a national title contender outlook, as you didn't win your conference and there are assuredly one (or more) other teams better then you in your conference if you're from one of the powerhouse divisions. 4 rounds long.

I think any more then that would either involve too many teams to really be practical or unnecessarily add more games then an undue burden of additional games on the student athletes.

If it were up to me, I'd go with the 16-team format and just have it be with the winners of each of the major conferences (Big Ten, Big 12, Pac 12, SEC, ACC, and Big East, even though they're not all even) and then have the ten highest ranked non-conference champs. That leaves for plenty of opportunities for non-conference teams and non-conference winning teams to get in and rewards teams that win their conference.

So, with that, this past season would've seen this (assuming conference winners would've gotten the automatic higher bids and that I'm looking at the final BCS standings right)....

1) LSU vs 16) Oklahoma
8) Stanford vs 9) Arkansas

4) Wisconsin vs 13) Clemson
5) Virginia Tech vs 12) South Carolina

---

2) Oklahoma State vs 15) Michigan
7) Alabama vs 10) Boise State

3) Oregon vs 14) Baylor
6) West Virginia vs 11) Kansas State

Would obviously need some work and not close to being perfect, but inherently better then what we've got now.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by No Fun Shogun: 01-11-2012 at 02:54 PM.