HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don't listen to your wives or girlfriends

Old
01-11-2012, 02:08 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I assuming you're implying that none of these teams play a team system? Really? You think they all play outside of a coaching system and individual players do what they like on any given night?

Those teams are among the best coached in the NHL and all play a team first system. Something the Habs haven't done and is what cost Martin his job.
Actually, Habs were and they were playing one fitting the players they have... I mean, we didnt get smaller since he's gone and we went from climbing slowly in the standings to losing 3/4 of our games...

He may had a system you disliked, but he had one... and watching this system of his sure wasnt any more boring than watching the team lose almost every games like now...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:12 PM
76ftw

Really? What a stunning development! I've never heard the argument that we need to be bigger, ever. Man thanks for bringing this to my attention.

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:16 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Actually, Habs were and they were playing one fitting the players they have... I mean, we didnt get smaller since he's gone and we went from climbing slowly in the standings to losing 3/4 of our games...

He may had a system you disliked, but he had one... and watching this system of his sure wasnt any more boring than watching the team lose almost every games like now...
That was the point I was making. We were playing one and did quite well when we did. Once we got away from it the wheels fell off.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:18 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
That was the point I was making. We were playing one and did quite well when we did. Once we got away from it the wheels fell off.
well, you either worded it wrong or I misunderstood cause it sounds like the opposite to me!

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Sir Jacques Demers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ftw View Post
Really? What a stunning development! I've never heard the argument that we need to be bigger, ever. Man thanks for bringing this to my attention.
But we added Pacioretty, Cole, and Eller!

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 02:47 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Coach JM, I did not like him, but his system sort of masked the Habs size/grit problem for a coupla years. He's gone and we are not doing any better. But IMO that's okay because when you're on the wrong path, a step backwards is a step in the right direction.

I hoped that PG had got it that we should have fewer small, soft (and expensive) players, but then he signed Kaberle. Sheesh....

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Jigger77

Quote:

Absolutely. I said it at the time of JM's firing. I told people who wanted him fired to be careful what they wished for and I'll say it again. Firing JM and firing him at the time they did put the final nail the Habs coffin. I don't care what the experts and people on team990 say. The Habs looked more like a unit and like a team under JM than they have in recent memory. Like it or not, defense (and not defensemen but team systemic defense) is vital in NHL hockey. There is a reason JM is the 9th most winning coach all-time in the NHL.

Experienced coaches are key. Just look at yesterday how the Habs looked againts Hitchock's team. He turned that team around in a hurry. I would have loved to see a Hitchcock vs Martin game instead of Hitchcock vs guy who's been in the league for 10 games (not his fault and nothing against RC just saying).

Fact is the Habs were the most injured team in the NHL when he was fired and we were still well in the hunt. 2 games over .500 and in the + cumulatively.

Fact is some of the most memorable and exciting moments in recent history came with JM's tenure. He gave us the legit chance to compete in the playoffs back. Took us further than we have in 20 years in his first season and within a goal of beating the Champs and eternal enemy Bruins in the second.

I know some Bruins fans and Sens fans and all of them could not believe the Habs fired JM. They were legitimately worried about playing the Habs. Look at the Habs record vs the Bruins with JM at the helm. Hell, we even won the first two games against them this year.

I'm not saying he was perfect or that the Habs were electrifying, but it worked and had proven results His firing was a huge mistake and it's very depressing because coaches who are bilingual, have that much experience and are available don't grow on trees.

Just depressing to think about. I really wish we could go back to mid-December and not fire him, and stay in the picture, get guys back and see what the team would have done healthy in the postseason. I think the guys would have learned from last year and would have come back hungry, not to mention Cole on fire and guys like Emelin and Eller coming into their own..

Just a stupid decision based on fan reactions. It really makes me question PG's hockey knowledge (if in fact he is the one responsible for firing him).

Last edited by Jigger77: 01-11-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 03:41 PM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
If you actually agree with that, how long does it take an organization to correct this? 3 years? 5 years?
According to fans, if we fire PG tomorrow, the problem will be solved yesterday. True story.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 03:51 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
well, you either worded it wrong or I misunderstood cause it sounds like the opposite to me!
You read a response to my initial post and not the original post I made.
Thanks for coming out though

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote