HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings AHL / Manchester Monarchs 2011-2012 Update Thread

Old
01-10-2012, 09:30 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKFAN View Post
As was noted above, no doubt "Hickey got picked for the All-Star team because of his high plus numbers".

Several of us who go on these boards have been Monarchs season ticket holders since day one and have seen Hickey play game in and game out since he came to Manchester and are still shaking our heads.
So what you are saying is that Hickey still sucks?

With Voynov in LA, who is the best MAN d-man? Is it Muzzin?

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 09:48 AM
TKFAN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
So what you are saying is that Hickey still sucks?

With Voynov in LA, who is the best MAN d-man? Is it Muzzin?
IMO - Hickey still sucks, but not as bad as last year and I do think Muzzin is the best d-man in Manchester.

Looking forward to Voynov getting back in the lineup, maybe it will tomorrow night.

TKFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:32 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
IMO - Hickey still sucks, but not as bad as last year and I do think Muzzin is the best d-man in Manchester.

Looking forward to Voynov getting back in the lineup, maybe it will tomorrow night.
I don't think Voynov is ever coming back.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 319
I agree with johnjm. He's going going going back to Manchester (come one)
I think the Kings trade someone to make room for Voynov.

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I don't think Voynov is ever coming back.
I think he was referring to the Kings' lineup.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Elliot Williams

Does anyone think Oscar Moller will return to the Kings? He is doing well in Sweden, but... .

(P.S. I should say that I caved on the Monarchs after a bunch of years as a season ticket holder and then a multi-game pak holder. Lots of us have tossed the Monarchs. At least 7 of us met coincidentally and shared horror stories on the glass during the warmups for the Kings vs. Bruins game at TD Garden in December. We STH have been treated real, real bad. On top of that the management has done a number of creepy things with ticket pricing, that alienated us "original" supporters.)

Elliot Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Williams View Post
Does anyone think Oscar Moller will return to the Kings? He is doing well in Sweden, but... .
... that's pretty much meaningless when trying to get back into the NHL.

He needs to be elite in SEL before the Kings even would entertain the possiblity of bringing him back. Is he still Kings property, or was he released?

His size is a huge drawback (no pun intended - really).

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 04:40 PM
johnjm22

Would rather have Hollaway back. He's one of the top players in the SEL right now.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 05:05 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

If I were ranking our Manch kids based on the dozen or so games I have watched them play so far this season I would go with (in order)

Muzzin

Muzz is playing smart positional D down on the farm. He has his O moments and plays as physical as the system allows but the main thing I like about him is that he plays with poise most nights. His strength remains in his skating ability but he is developing his overall game to the point of where he should either be allowed to matriculate or be traded. He is NHL ready today imo in the same way that before we entered the season I said that VV was ready.

It will take a few games for them to start showing how far they have come but ready to start playing at the NHL level.

Next to me is Hickey.

We can bash his game all we want and sure it is very debatable rather or not he was taken too early with the fourth pick but when TH is on his game he is a more than capable PMD who is smart with the puck and one of the best skaters in the AHL. He plays a smart game when he is on and I think that if he were brought up to an NHL team that he would prove himself to be as good or even slightly better then allot of young D his age group. Saying "he sucks" to me seems shortsighted. He has developed and is ready for the NHL. He doesn't look like a true game breaking two way D with leadership skills like he was said to be at his draft but he does look like a competent young skater who plays with heart.

Injury problems seem to be behind him but not completely. I can't see him ever making the Kings and believe that he will be dealt as a lesser piece of a bigger deal before too long. Given time he will play in the NHL. How effectively is up to him.

Next is my favorite young D man to come through the Kings org in more than 15 years in Nik Deslauriers.

I still see him as being two years away but he plays the EXACT game that we want MG to play only with better skating ability and waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more toughness. I have raived about ND since before we got him so I won't go on any further except to say that when he puts it all together and is able to play his game at the NHL level I think that he will challenge for team captain. He has a way to go but to me he is a phenomenal skater who sees the game very well and like's to hit, fight and score as much as anything else.

Next in Manch for me is a tie between Campbell and Kolomatis. Two totally different players but both equally effective at what they do. I like em both for different reasons and give each of them an outside shot at spending some time in the NHL. A couple of guys who if they possessed more talent would be fun to watch play on the Kings for different reasons. Campbell for his at times steady physical play and Kolo for his overall game.

The rest of our prospects I spend allot more time watching and was attending the wjc's so I was lucky enough to see Gravel and Forbort in person (as much as possible) not to mention during their regular seasons among the rest.

Gravel is at the top of my list due to his overall game. He is a good skater but won't shock you with his speed. He has a nice low hard shot but isn't going to knock anyone over with it. He does everything really well but his greatest attribute to me is that when you watch him play he stands out for being the guy who is always in just the right place most everytime.

He is the guy who gets in position that breaks up the break a way 9 out of 10 times. He is the guy who turns and blocks the empty net goal at just the right time. He plays smart and physical. I see him as a lock for the NHL and if I am right he will be a perfect 4/6 d man. He is a keeper.

Next is Alex Roach.

I saw him play for the Millionaires and thought he stood out as a great player. He is big but not overly so. He plays a big mans game in front of the net and is a punishing stay at home type in his own end. He has progressed nicely from his midg days when I met him and was really happy when I was told that we were going to sign him. He has progressed nicely and I think he will make his pro debut next season and turn some heads when he does.

Next is Forbort.

Another player that I have reviewed recently so I will say that his size is making him develop the way that big men do and that is taking longer than an average sized player. In time I think he will be a good NHL d man. Nothing flashy but solid enough. He has the heart and is a smart enough player to where once everything catches up with his skating I think that he will have enough of what it takes to potentially be a good NHL dman.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Elliot Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
... that's pretty much meaningless when trying to get back into the NHL.

He needs to be elite in SEL before the Kings even would entertain the possiblity of bringing him back. Is he still Kings property, or was he released?

His size is a huge drawback (no pun intended - really).

A. Meaningless? Hmmm.

B. Yup. He's Kings property. You can call him back anytime in the next two (maybe three, I don't know, but at least two) years.

C. Martin St. Louis is a tad smaller than Moller. St. Louis has 33 points for Tampa Bay.

D. I liked Moller, I admit. But I ditched the Monarchs because their management screwed us season ticket holders. So I am not hugely interested. Just wondering whether any Kings fans who saw Moller play in LA and know anything about his performance in Sweden think he might be called back.

Old
01-11-2012, 09:32 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

I like Muzzin's game a lot. If one of Martinez/Voynov gets traded I want Muzzin to be called up and take that spot.

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:59 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

I'll hopefully get a chance to see Moller/Holloway if Skellefteå comes to Växjö soon so I'll let you all know how they look.

Also if anyone has any other requests for SEL/Allsvenskan/Superelit players I'll try to keep an eye out.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:05 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Thanks Josh

I am very interested to see how Bud's game has developed over there. The SEL is a perfect league for him to balance out his overall game imo. He has a very good physical game and has always had solid offencive skills, nothing fancy but solid enough but I have always seen his game being too one sided.

He seems to be developing into a more complete player in the SEL on paper anyways. Interested to see what you think of his game.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:10 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

What are you doing in Sweden anyway? Studying? With a name like Josh Deitell I gotta think you're not a native

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 08:42 PM
kkempy

Quote:

(P.S. I should say that I caved on the Monarchs after a bunch of years as a season ticket holder and then a multi-game pak holder. Lots of us have tossed the Monarchs. At least 7 of us met coincidentally and shared horror stories on the glass during the warmups for the Kings vs. Bruins game at TD Garden in December. We STH have been treated real, real bad. On top of that the management has done a number of creepy things with ticket pricing, that alienated us "original" supporters.)
I think there will be a lot more going that way after this season.

kkempy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Elliot Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkempy View Post
I think there will be a lot more going that way after this season.
The Monarchs would be all right in terms of their "serious" hockey fans, if they actually cared about hockey.

The "problem" (in quotes because there is no problem from the Monarch's marketing department's perspective) is that the AHL owners need to make money in a region where the NHL also plays! And actual, real, hockey fans, i.e., those of us who love the game itself, are just 1/3 of the audience in Manchester Monarchs crowd (and I presume in many of the other AHL cities).

People who buy tickets are 1/3 hockey fans (they come to see the game); and 1/3 "night out" fans who know something about hockey and buy tickets the way they might go bowling, or go to the movies, or whatever; and 1/3 "family entertainment" crowd, i.e., people who want to go out for one reason with the kids and want some entertainment (including getting a free bobblehead or watching fireworks, or watching the unbelievable variety of entertainment offered between the three periods). Remember, this happens in cities that do not have a whole lot of other family entertainment to offer.

The trouble, if you can call it that, is that we "real" fans of the game, those of us who come to watch players develop and mature to play NHL hockey, are just 1/3 of the revenue. In Manchester, we have been relegated to the bottom of this three-slice pie. IMO.

Last edited by Elliot Williams: 01-13-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old
01-13-2012, 08:18 PM
WillardJFredricks

Anyone know why Ethan Moreau still hasn't played? Injured? Veteran restrictions?...

WillardJFredricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Fat Elvis

Good to see Czarnik putting up some points recently. Not sure if he has the skills for the next level, but it's nice to see him showing up on the score card.

For those that see him, what are your thoughts?

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:48 PM
sBarry

Quote:
The Monarchs would be all right in terms of their "serious" hockey fans, if they actually cared about hockey.

The "problem" (in quotes because there is no problem from the Monarch's marketing department's perspective) is that the AHL owners need to make money in a region where the NHL also plays! And actual, real, hockey fans, i.e., those of us who love the game itself, are just 1/3 of the audience in Manchester Monarchs crowd (and I presume in many of the other AHL cities).

People who buy tickets are 1/3 hockey fans (they come to see the game); and 1/3 "night out" fans who know something about hockey and buy tickets the way they might go bowling, or go to the movies, or whatever; and 1/3 "family entertainment" crowd, i.e., people who want to go out for one reason with the kids and want some entertainment (including getting a free bobblehead or watching fireworks, or watching the unbelievable variety of entertainment offered between the three periods). Remember, this happens in cities that do not have a whole lot of other family entertainment to offer.

The trouble, if you can call it that, is that we "real" fans of the game, those of us who come to watch players develop and mature to play NHL hockey, are just 1/3 of the revenue. In Manchester, we have been relegated to the bottom of this three-slice pie. IMO.
I work at the V( Where the Narchs play ), and you are so spot on with your breakdown of the crowd. It gave me a good laugh when you compared it to going bowling.

sBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 06:36 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
What are you doing in Sweden anyway? Studying? With a name like Josh Deitell I gotta think you're not a native
Studying and scouting. Definitely not a native haha. Having some trouble with the language but it's been fun so far.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 08:53 AM
TKFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillardJFredricks View Post
Anyone know why Ethan Moreau still hasn't played? Injured? Veteran restrictions?...
Undisclosed injury, he practiced with the team a couple/few times around xmas but that was it. Read in the local newspaper that he is in Manchester.

Old
01-14-2012, 05:43 PM
WillardJFredricks

Quote:
Undisclosed injury, he practiced with the team a couple/few times around xmas but that was it. Read in the local newspaper that he is in Manchester.
Okay, thanks. He's one of my all-time favorite players. He's always been such a hard worker who has terrible injury luck. I was glad when he decided to go to the AHL and hoped he could have a good solid half-season and maybe get another NHL shot somewhere.

WillardJFredricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Capn Brown

It's nice to see that Dwight King has taken the lead in scoring. During the first 10-20 games this year, he was almost invisible. At least, it seemed that way on the score sheet.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 05:34 PM
TKFAN

Monarchs just set a franchise record this afternoon, 6 games in a row in the loss column . The Monarchs have yet to win a game in 2012.

Robbie Czarnik was hit in the head by the Portland captain, 2 trainers, 2 emts, team doctor were out on the ice, he was taken from the ice on a stretcher and then to the hospital, no word yet as to how he is doing. Sounds like Portland captain will be looking at a 5 game suspension.

Old
01-15-2012, 05:35 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Monarchs just set a franchise record this afternoon, 6 games in a row in the loss column . The Monarchs have yet to win a game in 2012.

Robbie Czarnik was hit (appeared to be to the head) by the Portland captain, 2 trainers, 2 emt's, team doctor were out on the ice, he was taken to the hospital on a stretcher, no work yet as to how he is doing.
Did any of the players go after the Portland player?

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote