HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve McIntyre

Old
01-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Mordax
Abso-Buc'n-lutely

vCash: 500
Thank, freakin', god

Mordax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 05:12 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
He's too big.
I guess. You figure being a heavyweight, you'd at least provoke a guy enough or something before going fightless in 10 games with a new club.

I actually didn't even know that stat until Big Mc stated that.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
Not sure how this team is any less physical than last year or the year before.

And as far as retribution for hitting Cooke, did the Pens ever stand up for Cooke? Everyone knows he's a major target and will get hit. And quite frankly, he deserves it. I'm just confused why the Sens were after him last night.
Well replacing Rupp for Park is a good start.

Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 05:22 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
Well replacing Rupp for Park is a good start.
Do you understand the concept of a salary cap? Or the fact that Park didn't "replace" Rupp?

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
We don't have Neil, Lucic, or Rupp. We do have Orpik, Engelland, Kunitz, Asham, and Neal. I agree stats don't tell the whole story, but when a team has more than twice the hits of its opponent that should tell you something.

I'm confused ab out your 2nd paragraph. Who here is a liberal tree hugger and what does it have to do with MacEntyre?
There are quite a few people on this board that hate fighting, hitting, intimidation, etc. These people want the NHL to turn into Olympic hockey. But, it isn't. So as long as other teams have guys like Neil, Carkner, Smith, Konopka, or Lucic, Thorton, Horton, McQuaid, etc, then your team better have a few guys like that too.

Old
01-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
Do you understand the concept of a salary cap? Or the fact that Park didn't "replace" Rupp?
Would you rather have Rupp or Sullivan?

Old
01-11-2012, 05:27 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
There are quite a few people on this board that hate fighting, hitting, intimidation, etc. These people want the NHL to turn into Olympic hockey. But, it isn't. So as long as other teams have guys like Neil, Carkner, Smith, Konopka, or Lucic, Thorton, Horton, McQuaid, etc, then your team better have a few guys like that too.
Who? Name some.

Old
01-11-2012, 05:28 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
Who? Name some.
I'm not going to call anybody out personally.

Old
01-11-2012, 05:29 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Based on what they bring to a team versus their cap number? Sullivan every single time. Rupp is on a ridiculous contract for what he brings to a team, and Sullivan has made our PP a lot better. Something that was a problem last season.

But yeah lets all believe that losing Rupp is the reason why we are on a losing skid right now. He'd be our savior

Old
01-11-2012, 05:30 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
I'm not going to call anybody out personally.
Because you are overreacting to somebody calling out your bogus notions that having a heavyweight fighter actually means something anymore in this day and age, and that Rupp is our savior. Anybody who thinks differently is a tree hugging hippie who loves the pussification of the sport of hockey.

Old
01-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
Because you are overreacting to somebody calling out your bogus notions that having a heavyweight fighter actually means something anymore in this day and age, and that Rupp is our savior. Anybody who thinks differently is a tree hugging hippie who loves the pussification of the sport of hockey.
Well I guess all those other teams that have them aren't as smart as you. Just think how great the Oilers of the 80s could have really been if they didn't waste roster space on McSorely and Semenko.

Again, I could care less about Macintyre. I said that before. He never played, and when he did, he didn't do jack anyway. But this team has no scoring, little toughness, grinders that don't grind, and no physicality around the net. I don't think it's a coincidence that most of the teams leading the conference are bigger, stronger, and tougher.

Old
01-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 1004

Killahpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 06:17 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Well I guess all those other teams that have them aren't as smart as you. Just think how great the Oilers of the 80s could have really been if they didn't waste roster space on McSorely and Semenko.

Again, I could care less about Macintyre. I said that before. He never played, and when he did, he didn't do jack anyway. But this team has no scoring, little toughness, grinders that don't grind, and no physicality around the net. I don't think it's a coincidence that most of the teams leading the conference are bigger, stronger, and tougher.
Other teams that do have them either have ones that also can actually play the game of hockey, or they rarely dress them just like they did with MacIntyre.

BTW I didn't know this was still the 80's. In case you haven't realized, the game has changed a lot since then. It's probably hard to notice that though when all you care about is the fighting.

Finally, you are getting the impression that I don't think it's a good idea to get bigger, stronger, and tougher. That's the furthest thing from the truth. The Pens should try to do that a little bit, but not at the expense of employing people that can actually play hockey. I'd prefer to have players that are badasses that also put up points. Those players are hard to come though.

Old
01-11-2012, 06:25 PM
jerome garcia

hockey is entertainment. there a many facets to the game to enjoy. i love the hitting and fighting aspect. i also love to be able to see a team that can score more than one goal a game. this team isn't tough, can't score, and is fragile as hell once adversity hits them. i know the injuries, blah blah blah. but, everyone needs to hold themselves accountable and go out and hustle and hit and put up the good fight, even if it is futile. that's what being a pro is. i wouldnt be so pissed losing 5 to 1 if we fought hard for 60 and at least acted like we gave a ****.

jerome garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Ominous Grey

Quote:
I almost always agree with you.

But right now, I'd trade Sullivan for Rupp any day of the week. We could use a Rupp-type right now, and Sullivan/Park/Whoever is a waste of a roster spot. The extra half-million be damned.

Thinking that Sullivan is the reason our powerplay isn't AS terrible is nearly as delusional as thinking that Rupp would be our savior. The Powerplay is slightly better because the whole PP scheme has changed.

Ominous Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:24 AM
SirBrad

He cleared waivers per McKenzie. Big surprise, I know.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:31 AM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Remember that Sullivan is off the books after the season. When Rupp can't skate anymore by the end of next season and still has 2 years left on his deal, that is when you will be happy we didn't sign him.

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

I would have at least like to have seen him throttle one guy...

Mondello is offline   Reply With Quote