HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

fake agreeing to drop gloves at the puck drop

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2012, 09:58 PM
Eytinge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Weise later said he was challenging mcquaid, not Thornton.
He should have taken his chances with Thornton. McQuaid would have destroyed him.

Old
01-10-2012, 10:01 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaf83 View Post
Ok well I'll agree with you on that one; but the point is that there's not a huge fighting disparity between McQuaig and Thornton, most would say McQuaig is the better fighter while Thornton is the better player so my question then is why would it be smarter to choose to fight McQuaig over Thornton? Like you said either way it's not like he'd be fighting Chara.
I'd take the guy who logs more important minutes as i'd likely get my ass kicked either way.

Old
01-10-2012, 10:17 PM
leeaf83
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'd take the guy who logs more important minutes as i'd likely get my ass kicked either way.
Yes exactly so choosing to fight Thornton over Mcquaid would be like choosing to fight Colton Orr over Joffrey Lupul; Lupul would do more damage on you and is a far better player than Orr.

Old
01-10-2012, 10:19 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaf83 View Post
Yes exactly so choosing to fight Thornton over Mcquaid would be like choosing to fight Colton Orr over Joffrey Lupul; Lupul would do more damage on you and is a far better player than Orr.
Never said that. Mcquaid plays 15 min a game. Thornton plays 8. I mean, the logic is simple, there's 6 d and 12 forwards. I'd rather take on a top 6 D rather than 12th forward. In my case either would kick my ass but I'd choose mcquaid.

Old
01-10-2012, 10:25 PM
billybobjoe2112

vCash: 73
Since he talked the guy into dropping his gloves shouldn't he still get 2 and 10 for instigating the fight?

Old
01-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

It is literally the most gutless thing you can do in hockey.

How the ref handled it is the best way, send them both regardless... no advantage than to either team.

Old
01-10-2012, 11:59 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobjoe1881 View Post
Since he talked the guy into dropping his gloves shouldn't he still get 2 and 10 for instigating the fight?
Instigator rule says you get two, five and ten - they can't just call an instigator penalty when there's no fight. Maybe if there was an "attempted instigator" penalty..

And yeah, goading a player into a fight and then declining to drop the gloves is bush league.

Old
01-11-2012, 02:59 AM
RobertKron

I somewhat buy the "he was talking at McQuaid" thing, especially if Thornton says it could be the case. In the video he's pretty clearly jawwing with McQuaid.

Last edited by RobertKron: 01-11-2012 at 03:05 AM.
Old
01-11-2012, 09:17 AM
leeaf83
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobjoe1881 View Post
There needs to be a fight for an instigator to be assessed. It is in the rules that an unsportsmanlike should be assessed for attemtping to instigate a fight (which was correctly called). Personally I feel a misconduct should have been added as well since he was trying to make a travesty of the game. I'm just glad the canucks did not get a powerplay out of it.

Old
01-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernhome View Post
I just saw Dale Weise and Thornton in the Vancouver Boston game apparently agree to drop gloves at the puck drop, but as Thornton dropped his gloves, Weise just backed away with a look of feigned confusion on his face, presumably expecting a penalty to be called, or as some kind of psychological ploy?

I don't recall that ever happening in a game before, as the "wait for the puck drop" thing is kind of an honorable play by professionals in the league

Has that happened before, in your memory? anyone have video of this today? the refs gave them both unsportsmanlike penalties which I think was the right call in this confusing situation
More like its the, get a game misconduct for not waiting for the puck to drop.

Old
01-11-2012, 09:58 AM
IWD

The ref dropped the ball on this one. If you're stupid enough to risk dropping the gloves in a pre-planned fight after a face-off, you deserve five for fighting, and two for a delay of game. The other guy shoud get nothing if he was prepared to continue the play.Maybe then people will fight only in the heat of the moment.

Old
01-11-2012, 10:06 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Lapierre's done the "glove shake" a couple of times as a Hab to bait the other guy into dropping his, don't know if he's smartened up since. Never was a fan of that.

Old
01-11-2012, 03:17 PM
SaxMan

Now that the story has come up it's Thornton who looks liek a dick.

Old
01-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Rooooooooooxxxanne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConn126 View Post
Agreed, it was a ***** move, so it was fitting it was a Canuck doing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 27Niedermayer View Post
It's a ***** move.

If you don't want to fight, fine. I can understand that. But it's lame to pretend that you're going to fight to try to sucker the other guy into getting a penalty.

I was really happy that the ref saw what was going on during Saturday's game and gave Weise a penalty too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UConn126 View Post
excuses, excuses. Theres video evidence of Weise and Thornton talking about it right before the puck dropped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
Is anyone actually surprised that a Canuck would actually pull a chicken act like this? I know I'm not. I'm surprised that Gillis sign Ruutu and Avery this year to along with the rest of their "classy" players.
LOL these are all gold.

Marchand just said how Weise was ready to fight McQuaid and was talking to him the whole time, and as soon as the puck dropped Thornton dropped the gloves and took Weise by surprise and stopped what would have been a good fight to watch.

Old
01-11-2012, 04:49 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
“I’m going to clear it up for everyone who’s listening,” Marchand said. “It was actually a really sneaky play by Thorty. Weise was trying to fight McQuaid, who was standing behind Thornton on the point. McQuaid was going to fight him. So, Weise was yelling and saying, ‘Yeah, let’s go, let’s go.’

“Thorty just figured that at that point he’d drop his gloves and surprise Weise. And the ref just kind of heard Weise yelling ‘Let’s go’ and thought he was talking to Thorty and conning him into a penalty. Thorty kind of surprised him when Thorty dropped his gloves. Weise had no idea Thorty was going to do that.”

Added Marchand: “Him and Quaider know each other a bit from the minors and I think junior as well. They might have went at [it] there.”

Marchand’s words corroborate Weise’s story, as he told reporters prior to Monday’s game that he was trying to fight McQuaid.(...)
It's almost like people dont read anymore, they just believe what they want, even when one of their own guys says it!

Old
01-11-2012, 05:21 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
It's almost like people dont read anymore, they just believe what they want, even when one of their own guys says it!
Pretty funny.

I don't expect we'll hear much from the Boston fans who posted earlier in this thread.

What a shameful team.

Old
01-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Pretty funny.

I don't expect we'll hear much from the Boston fans who posted earlier in this thread.

What a shameful team.
Yup. Pretty ridiculous how they go on (similar to their whining about diving) when all along they're the ones doing this sort of nonsense.

Old
01-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
More like its the, get a game misconduct for not waiting for the puck to drop.
Yeah... that's why you wait for the puck to drop.

Old
01-11-2012, 05:59 PM
tacogeoff

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Pretty funny.

What a shameful team.
UUmmm I am pretty sure both teams are shameful in their own way

Nucks for certain players diving and being dirty

Bruins for certain players who have commited bad/dirty hits and laying beatdowns

As for Marchand coming out and enlighting the masses...its a good thing. At least we know why Weise looked so confused and had that look in his eyes.

Old
01-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
I think we've run the course here.