HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How lucky were the Blues last night...

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2003, 09:32 AM
Laperriere22*

vCash: 500
How lucky were the Blues last night...

To have Tkachuk score the GW when he easily could have been thrown out of the game for his spear on Ward? I've never seen an NHL ref call a double minor for a spear that made contact. I suppose it has happened somewhere before, but it's a rare thing to see. Now, Ward had twice gone after Tkachuk with his stick; so, I understand Ward had some retaliation coming his way. But, Tkachuk using the spear technique was a poor decision and I think the Blues and all us Blues fans caught a break with that call.

Old
11-05-2003, 10:02 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
I've never seen an NHL ref call a double minor for a spear that made contact.
I once saw a call for "attempting to spear" that was a double minor....which should be embarassing to the player who didn't get their money's worth.

http://www.theahl.com/AHLGames00-01/mar2_ham_snf.html - 3rd period.

Granted, it's in the rule book that attempting to spear is a double minor, but

11-05-2003, 10:06 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheRat
yeah, maybe. Who cares, though? It's over and done with and the Blues got their points. There are so many calls that go unmade and so many bad calls that are made that it seems rather absurd to talk about one being 'lucky' or not. It's just the nature of the game and officiating in the NHL today. Big deal. One could just as easilly talk about how unlucky the Blues are that they get so many iffy calls against them when they play in Detroit. It's just the nature of the beast.
The point is that the inconsistent reffing actually helped the Blues for once. And the bigger point is how horrid the officiating has been this season. I've seen more phantom calls and calls that haven't been made since the 50's (I'm guessing) than ever before. Unsportsmanlike conduct minors for a goalie getting snowed (slightly)? A major penalty for clearing a guy out of the crease? A double minor for spearing? That's just a bunch of BS.

Next time someone complains that the Blues are losing because of the officiating, they can think back to this game where the Blues got an OT win from a player that was lucky to be in the game. It also deserves some mention that Tkachuk's old undisciplined stickwork creeped up again when he had seemingly become a player disciplined enough to not get caught doing that crap any more.

Old
11-05-2003, 10:08 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
I once saw a call for "attempting to spear" that was a double minor....which should be embarassing to the player who didn't get their money's worth.

http://www.theahl.com/AHLGames00-01/mar2_ham_snf.html - 3rd period.

Granted, it's in the rule book that attempting to spear is a double minor, but
That's actually how I thought it was supposed to be called. A double minor for spearing when you don't make contact and a major and a game when you do make contact.

Was the ref saying Tkachuk didn't make contact? It would make some sense I suppose, but it was clear as day Tkachuk made contact I thought.

Old
11-05-2003, 10:56 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Was the ref saying Tkachuk didn't make contact? It would make some sense I suppose, but it was clear as day Tkachuk made contact I thought.
Considering in the past they've given guys majors for boarding, high sticking, spearing, kneeing and checking from behind and *not* thrown them out of the game (like they're supposed to do), calling a double minor for spearing when he did make contact wouldn't be a big surprise.

Old
11-05-2003, 02:52 PM
c-carp

Quote:
The point is that the inconsistent reffing actually helped the Blues for once. And the bigger point is how horrid the officiating has been this season. I've seen more phantom calls and calls that haven't been made since the 50's (I'm guessing) than ever before. Unsportsmanlike conduct minors for a goalie getting snowed (slightly)? A major penalty for clearing a guy out of the crease? A double minor for spearing? That's just a bunch of BS.

Next time someone complains that the Blues are losing because of the officiating, they can think back to this game where the Blues got an OT win from a player that was lucky to be in the game. It also deserves some mention that Tkachuk's old undisciplined stickwork creeped up again when he had seemingly become a player disciplined enough to not get caught doing that crap any more.
I think that it is just a fact that we are going to have to put up with Walt using his stick and taking a suspension or two during the year. I am not defending it, because I hate stickwork. In this case we are going to have to take the good with the bad. He is one of if not the best Power Forwards in the league, unfortunatly his gloves are welded on and that isnt going to change. The Stickwork on Wes Walz proved that for me because if you wont drop the gloves with him, you pretty much wont drop em.

Old
11-06-2003, 08:46 AM
blues1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
I think that it is just a fact that we are going to have to put up with Walt using his stick and taking a suspension or two during the year. I am not defending it, because I hate stickwork. In this case we are going to have to take the good with the bad. He is one of if not the best Power Forwards in the league, unfortunatly his gloves are welded on and that isnt going to change. The Stickwork on Wes Walz proved that for me because if you wont drop the gloves with him, you pretty much wont drop em.
I agree with that, I just wish that I could see him drop the gloves one time, the guy just looks like a total *****.

Old
11-06-2003, 09:39 AM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
That spearing was a retaliation for a slash on the wrist that knocked his glove off. So i really doesnt bother me that he did it.

Old
11-06-2003, 10:46 AM
Nick Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf331
That spearing was a retaliation for a slash on the wrist that knocked his glove off. So i really doesnt bother me that he did it.
In addition Ward worked over Tkachuk pretty good early in the game and only got a 2 minute minor. He could have easily gotten 4 but somehow the refs thought it was OK to stand and there and watch a slug like Ward repeatedly cross check Tkachuk in the back and neck.

Tkachuk got the last laugh on Ward with a nice spear to the gut (would NOT want to know what being speared by a 230 lb power forward feels like) and of course the game winning goal.

That is how you make somebody pay.

Old
11-06-2003, 12:53 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Blue
In addition Ward worked over Tkachuk pretty good early in the game and only got a 2 minute minor. He could have easily gotten 4 but somehow the refs thought it was OK to stand and there and watch a slug like Ward repeatedly cross check Tkachuk in the back and neck.

Tkachuk got the last laugh on Ward with a nice spear to the gut (would NOT want to know what being speared by a 230 lb power forward feels like) and of course the game winning goal.

I would have rather seen him Drop em with Ward because the 2 or 3 fights that Walt has had since he has been a Blue he could go with Ward?

Old
11-06-2003, 01:09 PM
Nick Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
I would have rather seen him Drop em with Ward because the 2 or 3 fights that Walt has had since he has been a Blue he could go with Ward?

If Tkachuk wanted to drop the gloves I would hope it would be against another team's star- such as when Geurin fought Iginla last year. Yes sooner or later Tkachuk is going to blow a gasket and fight someone- I hope he doesnt risk getting injured by fighting a slug like Ward. Not worth the five minutes off the ice. If KT is going off the ice for five, he had better take a Bertuzzi, Shanahan, etc off with him.

Old
11-06-2003, 07:02 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Blue

I hear you Nick; I mentioned that Ward used his stick on Tkachuk on two separate occasions. Spearing a guy in the gut isn't how you make them pay if you're Tkachuk though. A competent referee would have tossed him out of the game. Tkachuk is better off fighting a guy and sitting for five minutes than taking a stupid retaliation penalty that gets him tossed from the game. Ideally, someone like Mayers should have gone after Ward with his fists, maybe start it with a cheapshot on say Fedorov. That's how you make Ward pay IMO.

Old
11-06-2003, 09:59 PM
Nick Blue

Quote:
I hear you Nick; I mentioned that Ward used his stick on Tkachuk on two separate occasions. Spearing a guy in the gut isn't how you make them pay if you're Tkachuk though. A competent referee would have tossed him out of the game. Tkachuk is better off fighting a guy and sitting for five minutes than taking a stupid retaliation penalty that gets him tossed from the game. Ideally, someone like Mayers should have gone after Ward with his fists, maybe start it with a cheapshot on say Fedorov. That's how you make Ward pay IMO.
Sounds good to me, Lappy.

Closed Thread