HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Vancouver Canucks top rivalries

Old
01-09-2012, 07:17 AM
Dirkph
Mancrush = Malhotra

vCash: 500
Calgary isn't even on the map for me anymore.

For me based on recent history, it's 1.) Boston, 2.) Chicago, 3.) SJ, 4.) Detroit, and 5.) Rest of division.

I was looking forward to seeing a real NW rivalry in Minnesota, but they've fallen off the horse.

Dirkph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:19 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniversary View Post
The Boston Bruins rivalry is so reminiscent of the Edward versus Jacob fight for Bella. It's obvious we are Edward and the Bruins have beast-like tendencies like Jacob. We got Bella with the President's trophy but then Jacob stole her away when it mattered. That was the Finals. Will we get her back? Can't wait to read the next chapter!
This is actually a great comparison, especially if you consider the body types of Edward and jacob, one being a more slender agile man who can climb trees and mountains with ease, the other a more powerful man with amazing abs, chest, shoulders, and a more rough and brutal style of fighting. Describes the Canucks and Bruins very well.

NugentHopkinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Based Kesler View Post
1) Chicago
2) Boston
3) San Jose
4) Los Angeles
5) Detroit

The NW have no worthy opponents anymore.
Agree with this list. Detroit isn't so much of a rivalry in my opinion though. Flames aren't really on my radar anymore because well they really aren't on anyone's radar.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Mynameismark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post
It's not like that should surprise anyone. The SCF was enough to spark a rivalry between the two, and the last game just solidfies a rivalry. The only reason the Bruins hate us more then they hate the Habs is becasue the Habs can't put up a fight against the Bruins, and are very average, if that, this season.

It's like how our rivalry with Calgary has lost it's fire because of Calgary being mediocre.
lol what?

Habs took the B's to 7 and in OT no less. You guys got smacked around like girls how many times in that one series? Habs are always able to hang with the Bruins, it's usually the B's who cant hang with the Habs. Hell we've taken 2 of 3 this season.

As for a rivalry not being one if the other team sucks, well then why is the Bruins/Habs a rivalry? The Habs have owned them for a century.

Mynameismark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:21 AM
Carl Carlson

Chicago, Boston and San Jose are the only rivalries that mean anything to me. Detroit is always a good game but I wouldn't consider it a rivalry and Colorado, Minnesota, & Calgary are just division teams we play a lot IMO.

Carl Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:22 AM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
Dylan
Dylan
Dylan
Dylan
Dylan

Seriously

BOSTON
BOSTON
BOSTON
BOSTON
BOSTON

They made me realize that i dont hate chicago

Bgav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:25 AM
Carl Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
This is actually a great comparison, especially if you consider the body types of Edward and jacob, one being a more slender agile man who can climb trees and mountains with ease, the other a more powerful man with amazing abs, chest, shoulders, and a more rough and brutal style of fighting. Describes the Canucks and Bruins very well.
Yikes... didn't think I'd ever see twilight compared to a hockey rivalry.

Carl Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:45 AM
thepuckmonster
professional winner

My dislike for Boston (most of the team, I like a couple players) has superceded my hatred for Chicago.

And then you throw Joey the Junior Reporter in and I really can't hate the 'Hawks anymore.

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:58 AM
yoss

I agree that Boston has greatly surpassed Chicago in terms of teams i outright hate. I'd say that technically Chicago is still the #1 rivalry, i have grudging respect for them and some of their players, whereas Boston makes me seething & sick to my stomach to even think about.

The next closest team other than those two is San Jose. I think good competitive playoff series with some animosity thrown in the mix do a good rivalry make, other than playing tough divisional opponents of which there are none really for Nucks at the moment, maybe Minny but that is a stretch.

I really enjoy a good Vancouver Chicago game. If we can beat them this year in post season, should we meet, i feel like that is currently one of the best rivalries in all of hockey, and the games are always so entertaining to watch. I always enjoyed those Colarado/Detroit series of old as well.

yoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:59 AM
flack

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
My dislike for Boston (most of the team, I like a couple players) has superceded my hatred for Chicago.

And then you throw Joey the Junior Reporter in and I really can't hate the 'Hawks anymore.
Oh cmon, that is only because it is fresh in your memory. It is amazing how quickly people forget (however that is not the case for boston fans) the hate.

flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 03:05 AM
Abaddon*

There's really not much to hate with Chicago anymore though. Their new GM is like Shia Lebeouf to their last GM's Michael Douglas. He's hot but deep down there's not much in the way of heritage. Seriously they have like 5 really good players surrounded by idiots and old men. At the same time, I like quite a few players on Boston like Lucic, Bergeron, Thornton, Thomas and Seidenberg. They seem like really good people.

Abaddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 07:36 AM
jimmythescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by flack View Post
Oh cmon, that is only because it is fresh in your memory. It is amazing how quickly people forget (however that is not the case for boston fans) the hate.

I still don't like Chicago, but I can't think of any examples where I believe their objective was to injure rather than intimidate or antagonise.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 08:25 AM
rypper

I look at it like the games I get most hyped up for boston, chicago, san jose. And the game vs detroit this season was awesome. So probably those four and throw in one of the alberta teams to round things out.

rypper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 08:56 AM
bradrich99

If the criteria is teams you hate who are also competitive against you, a team that fits that bill is tonight's challenger St. Louis.

Blues are 6-3-1 against Canucks in last 10 and many of those games have a nasty edge to them.

bradrich99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:24 AM
Runestone

Playing any team a mere once a year fosters a rivalry? Really..?

So, if they don't meet the Bruins again in the SCF for another 15 years, will the "rivalry" stand the test of time?

Give it a few weeks, and the last meeting will be a fleeting memory. I fail to see the logic of this assertion. In fact, there is no logic in it whatsoever... Residual emotion? Yes!

Adversary, I would agree; rival? No! dreamy at best!

No point listing the current rivals; everyone knows who they are...

Runestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post

Yeah, on Boston I can only really count players I like on one hand. There's Thomas, Rask and Bergeron and that's about it.

Chicago...I guess I'm indifferent about Crawford. The rest I don't really care for. Especially Toews. At this point in time, I hate him more than Kane.

Reverend Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Hutzler

Top 5

1. Calgary
2. Chicago
3. Boston
4. Minnesota
5. Detroit
6. San Jose or LA

Hutzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Elliot20

I don't know if I'd consider Boston a rival. We don't see them enough.

I realize they destroyed our cup hopes and the players probably have a lot of hate for one another - not good, but a rivalry...to be considered a rivalry...teams need to see each other more than once a year.

Personally, I don't think they will meet in the final and it's all hype.

One of the top 2 teams from each conference will be knocked out in the conference finals.

Elliot20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Hammer Time

vCash: 533
1. Chicago
2. Boston
3. Calgary
4. San Jose
5. Detroit

Hawks #1 for the 3 straight playoff series, Bruins well ... duh! Flames, even though it's been lopsided for quite a while, will always be a rival for historical and geographical reasons.

Sharks and Wings for being good teams in the West, although I don't think there's enough animosity there for a true rivalry to exist. (Personally I just find it real hard to hate any team with Lidstrom and Datsyuk on it, especially if we haven't met in the playoffs for a long time).

Hammer Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 05:41 PM
MeatTornado
I was born ready

Send a message via MSN to MeatTornado
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniscientOne View Post
1. Chicago
2. Boston
3. San Jose
4. Detroit
5. Los Angeles

Chicago ahead of Boston because of conferences, but it's still pretty close.
Mostly agree with this, but I'd maybe switch detroit and LA. Edm and Cal all time are up there, but right now I just don't see it.

MeatTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 06:09 PM
The Cowboy Poet

1. Winnipeg
2. Carolina
3. St. Louis
4. Tampa Bay
5. Buffalo

The Cowboy Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 06:13 PM
VanEric

#1 is still Chicago. Once again we're still likely going to have to go through each other to get out of the West. We may never face Boston in another playoff series ever again.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote