HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tony Marinaro: Geoff Molson met with Serge Savard last week

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-11-2012, 09:21 PM
  #76
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic
 
Captain Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
People criticize Savard a lot but under his tenure, the organisation felt 'safe' and stable for fans. Not like today. And when he was here, Montreal was considered an elite organisation and had clout in the league. Not today. He sure made some bad trades, but everybody did during those years. But he made some GREAT ones too. Some that got us the cup in 93. That's enough for me.

The Chelios trade wasn't his. He was forced to do it.

The only bad one was the Recchi trade. But nobody in the world expected Leclair to go ******* in Philly. Really, the trade was Recchi, a known 100 point man, against Desjardins.
I'm hoping this leads to him taking a job like Cliff Fletcher did in TO. Interim GM while Molson assembles a search committee for a GM.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 09:26 PM
  #77
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerguitar101 View Post
Which Habs' GM drafted Cammalleri, Gill, Gionta and Gomez? I don't remember his name. Do you?

I laugh at people thinking that Habs' problems are about names. Cammy and Gionta would play for the Bruins tommorow night and they'd play like if they were in their prime.
Sorry, I don't have a clue what these comments have to do with the strategy of not drafting Europeans.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 09:27 PM
  #78
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
People criticize Savard a lot but under his tenure, the organisation felt 'safe' and stable for fans. Not like today. And when he was here, Montreal was considered an elite organisation and had clout in the league. Not today. He sure made some bad trades, but everybody did during those years. But he made some GREAT ones too. Some that got us the cup in 93. That's enough for me.

The Chelios trade wasn't his. He was forced to do it.

The only bad one was the Recchi trade. But nobody in the world expected Leclair to go ******* in Philly. Really, the trade was Recchi, a known 100 point man, against Desjardins.
Good points but his drafting got awfully bad during the last half of his tenure and his draft philosophies weren't "safe" and "stable". They would be a disaster in today's salary cap era where drafting has become so increasingly important.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 09:28 PM
  #79
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,237
vCash: 500
Savard is a Molson family close acquaintance. It's normal that they meet, the opposite would concern me more.

As for coming back as GM, I doubt he's even interested. But, btw, to all the bashers, he still brought his share of success to this organization contrary to other well liked figures around here, so show a little respect.

Finally, I would love it if he was able to convince Molson to get rid of the old guard (Gainey, Gauthier, Martin... maybe even Timmins...) we need a change of culture in this country club organization.

MTL-rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 09:36 PM
  #80
Killerguitar101*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 468
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Killerguitar101*
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Sorry, I don't have a clue what these comments have to do with the strategy of not drafting Europeans.
Taking your late picks and drafting unknown 19-21 years old Finnishs, Swedes and Russians that play in the Euro Ice-Soccer leagues instead of drafting OHL/WHL/USHL tough guys or big sized players means that you want an Ice-Soccer team.

Killerguitar101* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 09:46 PM
  #81
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
I would love to see what Geoff Molson do what Mark Davis did with the Raiders.

Al died and Mark knew he needed to build a modern organization instead of the Old Man running everything. But he didn't need to go outside the family, he interviewed GMs with his team's old coach, John Madden, and his dad's old right hand man, Ron Wolf. The knowledge was already there, and the GM they hired is an ex-Raider who did great things with the Packers.

Have Serge and Claude Ruel there talking with Molson about how to rebuild the organization. Call Scotty, I'm sure he'd give you his two cents. Call Jacques Lemaire, Larry Robinson and Ken Dryden and get their ideas, then go hire the right guy and let him pick a coach.

Look at the Celtics, who saved the Celtics? A former Celtic.

Good post. And the first thing that the new GM did was fire the coach who had a .500 season.

Cleaning house and starting again in Oakland. EXACTLY what we need in Montreal.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 09:46 PM
  #82
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic
 
Captain Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerguitar101 View Post
Taking your late picks and drafting unknown 19-21 years old Finnishs, Swedes and Russians that play in the Euro Ice-Soccer leagues instead of drafting OHL/WHL/USHL tough guys or big sized players means that you want an Ice-Soccer team.
Aah, you mean guys like Enstrom, Halak, Markov, Alfie, Zetterberg, Datsuk, and Chara?

To succeed in the NHL, you usually need to be a better than average drafting team. To do that, you need to be creative and look where other teams don't. Pollock did it, Holland does it, every consistently contending team does it. Take your Xenophobic hockey views to another board please.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 09:48 PM
  #83
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerguitar101 View Post
Taking your late picks and drafting unknown 19-21 years old Finnishs, Swedes and Russians that play in the Euro Ice-Soccer leagues instead of drafting OHL/WHL/USHL tough guys or big sized players means that you want an Ice-Soccer team.
It's true that Markov, Halak, Streit, S. Kostitsyn, to name a few, were total waste of picks...

And btw, why did you deliberately left the Q out of the "tough guys, gritty" list ? What we're all diving visor wearing softies ?? Is that you Don ?

MTL-rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 09:58 PM
  #84
Killerguitar101*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 468
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Killerguitar101*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Aah, you mean guys like Enstrom, Halak, Markov, Alfie, Zetterberg, Datsuk, and Chara?

To succeed in the NHL, you usually need to be a better than average drafting team. To do that, you need to be creative and look where other teams don't. Pollock did it, Holland does it, every consistently contending team does it. Take your Xenophobic hockey views to another board please.
I'm pretty much sure that all teams look everywhere. Plus, it doesn't mean that you can't draft in the euro ice-soccer leagues, it means that you must draft a tough guy at least once a year.

Killerguitar101* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:03 PM
  #85
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic
 
Captain Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerguitar101 View Post
I'm pretty much sure that all teams look everywhere. Plus, it doesn't mean that you can't draft in the euro ice-soccer leagues, it means that you must draft a tough guy at least once a year.
I thought it was pretty clear I was also indicating that there are plenty of tough European players. Emelin says high. Toughness in general is inherently subjective. We've done a solid job at drafting tough players in recent years, without a clear mandate for it. Heck, apart from Lucic, the Bruins haven't even drafted tough players. What they've done is make shrewd trades and UFA signings.

And I'm sorry, but its hard to take you seriously when you call them "euro ice-soccer leagues."

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:13 PM
  #86
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,700
vCash: 500
what will Montreal ever do when the old guard is gone in next 10 plus years due to age...
(i.e no more Savard ,Gainey, Robinson etc)

There will be no more security left of those greats, from the old glory days .



What has passed thru Montreal in the last 20 years ,that could be drawn from to become head coach or Gm material?

Will it be general manager Richer?

or coach Brunet?

coach Kovalev? opps not a french...


coach Bulis?

General manager Darche or Boullion?


If the Habs bring back Savard, will only show they don't know what to do . (no forward vision)
Like how the Blue Jays brought back Cito Gaston


Last edited by Habaneros: 01-11-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:21 PM
  #87
MisterY
Registered User
 
MisterY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montréal
Posts: 75
vCash: 500
The best GM for the habs would be me. I have no experience, no credibility, but I would promise you two stanley cups (minimum) in the next 15 years.

If I don't deliver them, I agree to reimburse all my salary and be hanged on the public place.

Who votes for me?

MisterY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:23 PM
  #88
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterY View Post
The best GM for the habs would be me. I have no experience, no credibility, but I would promise you two stanley cups (minimum) in the next 15 years.

If I don't deliver them, I agree to reimburse all my salary and be hanged on the public place.

Who votes for me?
how about we start you off as a scout, with Perry and Jacques till end of season?

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:24 PM
  #89
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again
 
chaosrevolver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,083
vCash: 50
Just some statistics showing how unproductive Savard was as a GM through the draft in his later years (1990-1995):

Top-5 Rounders that Played 500 Games in the NHL: 5 out of 40

Notable Draft Picks:
1990 - Craig Conroy (6th Round)
1991 - Brian Savage (8th Round)
1992 - Valeri Bure (2nd Round), Craig Rivet (3rd Round)
1993 - Saku Koivu (1st Round), Darcy Tucker (6th Round)
1994 - Jose Theodore (2nd Round), Tomas Vokoun (9th Round)
1995 - Stephane Robidas (7th Round)

Had some pretty darn good steals in his later years but struggled with the first five rounds. The cap on it all was 1995 where he drafted Terry Ryan 8th overall...he would amass 8 games and no points in his NHL Career. These were other players who went in the first round (after Ryan) that played 500 Games:

* Jarome Iginla
* Petr Sykora
* Alexei Morozov (played just short but is still a staple of the KHL)
* J-S. Giguere
* Kyle McLaren
* Radek Dvorak
* Jay McKee
* Denis Gauthier

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:27 PM
  #90
Forsead
Registered User
 
Forsead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Québec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
what will Montreal ever do when the old guard is gone in next 10 plus years due to age...
(i.e no more Savard ,Gainey, Robinson etc)

There will be no more security left of those greats, from the old glory days .



What has passed thru Montreal in the last 20 years ,that could be drawn from to become head coach or Gm material?

Will it be general manager Richer?

or coach Brunet?

coach Kovalev? opps not a french...


coach Bulis?

General manager Darche or Boullion?


If the Habs bring back Savard, will only show they don't know what to do . (no forward vision)
Like how the Blue Jays brought back Cito Gaston
There are still glorious guys that will be around for a long time :

Carbonneau, Roy, Claude Lemieux, Damphousse, Eric Desjardins, Denis Savard etc.

And that's just the francophone. You might more guys.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:27 PM
  #91
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
Just some statistics showing how unproductive Savard was as a GM through the draft in his later years (1990-1995):

Top-5 Rounders that Played 500 Games in the NHL: 5 out of 40

Notable Draft Picks:
1990 - Craig Conroy (6th Round)
1991 - Brian Savage (8th Round)
1992 - Valeri Bure (2nd Round), Craig Rivet (3rd Round)
1993 - Saku Koivu (1st Round), Darcy Tucker (6th Round)
1994 - Jose Theodore (2nd Round), Tomas Vokoun (9th Round)
1995 - Stephane Robidas (7th Round)

Had some pretty darn good steals in his later years but struggled with the first five rounds. The cap on it all was 1995 where he drafted Terry Ryan 8th overall...he would amass 8 games and no points in his NHL Career. These were other players who went in the first round (after Ryan) that played 500 Games:

* Jarome Iginla
* Petr Sykora
* Alexei Morozov (played just short but is still a staple of the KHL)
* J-S. Giguere
* Kyle McLaren
* Radek Dvorak
* Jay McKee
* Denis Gauthier


that alone is enough..lol

How long till we hear Savard trying to talk to Steven Harper ,for rights of Jacques Demers?


Savard had his run here which i respect, but it should be left at that.

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:27 PM
  #92
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,750
vCash: 500
I would be shocked if he met Savard to offer him a job...that, really, Savard doesn't need. He's richer than all of us put together. He doesn't need the crap associated with the job. But he probably wanted some input from a friend. Geoff grew up WITH Savard. He was a small mutt when number 18 was patrolling the blue line in Montreal.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:29 PM
  #93
MisterY
Registered User
 
MisterY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montréal
Posts: 75
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
how about we start you off as a scout, with Perry and Jacques till end of season?
I don't think so, I have absolutely no ability to evaluate talent....

MisterY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:31 PM
  #94
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterY View Post
I don't think so, I have absolutely no ability to evaluate talent....
That is exactly what we're looking for ...

Just focus on shorter guy's who don't score goals.....the next defensive Crosby


and if you mess up and pick a guy who can score , we can trade him away or give him away ...

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:32 PM
  #95
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
that alone is enough..lol

How long till we hear Savard trying to talk to Steven Harper ,for rights of Jacques Demers?


Savard had his run here which i respect, but it should be left at that.
His first drafts, though, were pretty awesome. I mean, getting Roy, Lemieux AND Richer during the same draft is probably the best draft of Habs history.

he got lazy later on because of his other business ventures, thus the reason he got fired. But I understand why he got lazy. I mean, the guy was making millions elsewhere, and his owners were getting cheap.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:35 PM
  #96
Habit11
Registered User
 
Habit11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterY View Post
I don't think so, I have absolutely no ability to evaluate talent....
When in doubt, just recommend a dman from Minnesota, pro or amateur level.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:36 PM
  #97
MisterY
Registered User
 
MisterY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montréal
Posts: 75
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
His first drafts, though, were pretty awesome. I mean, getting Roy, Lemieux AND Richer during the same draft is probably the best draft of Habs history.

he got lazy later on because of his other business ventures, thus the reason he got fired. But I understand why he got lazy. I mean, the guy was making millions elsewhere, and his owners were getting cheap.
Add Svoboda on that list if I'm not wrong... maybe I am... but Svoboda wasn't too bad either....

MisterY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:40 PM
  #98
FiveForDrawingBlood
Registered User
 
FiveForDrawingBlood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
I think Savard was playing for the Habs when Naslund was drafted but he may have drafted Petr Svoboda. Other first round choices
1985 - Jose Charbonneau, Tom Chorske
1986 - Mark Pederson
1987 - Andrew Cassels
1988 - Eric Charron
1989 - Lindsay Vallis
1990 - Turner Stevenson
1991 - Brent Bilodeau
1992 - David Wilkie

Out of nine draft picks in the first round, only one legitimate NHLer (Cassels) and one marginal NHLer (Stevenson) were selected during this period of Savard's tenure. It was the beginning of the demise of the Canadiens.
Savard did have 2 of the best drafts n habs history. '84 and '87.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:41 PM
  #99
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
His first drafts, though, were pretty awesome. I mean, getting Roy, Lemieux AND Richer during the same draft is probably the best draft of Habs history.

he got lazy later on because of his other business ventures, thus the reason he got fired. But I understand why he got lazy. I mean, the guy was making millions elsewhere, and his owners were getting cheap.
Cliff Fletcher was pretty good back in his day,as was Pat Quinn..you get we're I'm going ....

Time passes on......


The last thing this club needs is to look back tryin to replay the past.


Look on from 2012 forward....


Last edited by Habaneros: 01-11-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:42 PM
  #100
FiveForDrawingBlood
Registered User
 
FiveForDrawingBlood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
His first drafts, though, were pretty awesome. I mean, getting Roy, Lemieux AND Richer during the same draft is probably the best draft of Habs history.

he got lazy later on because of his other business ventures, thus the reason he got fired. But I understand why he got lazy. I mean, the guy was making millions elsewhere, and his owners were getting cheap.
lemieux was in the '83 draft. corson was in the '84 draft.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.