HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Strong play signals Bickel sticking with Rangers

Old
01-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
did you see how Bickel barely played in the 3rd period?

You send him to the minors and play Stralman or Eminger when healthy as the 6th

Woywitka is down eventually too. Sauer should be a few weeks away if he is symptom free
Stralman will end up the king of the 6th spot, for sure. Will sometimes come out for Eminger.

Bickel and Woywitka both to Hartford. Or just send down Woywitka and keep Bickel up as an 8th D/ 14th forward and play him during the real rough games.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 09:18 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Stralman will end up the king of the 6th spot, for sure. Will sometimes come out for Eminger.

Bickel and Woywitka both to Hartford. Or just send down Woywitka and keep Bickel up as an 8th D/ 14th forward and play him during the real rough games.
Yeah, this is what I see happening.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:00 PM
collegehockeyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
A player that has cleared waivers doesn't have to clear waivers again in the same season until he has played 10 NHL games or has spent 30 days on the NHL roster.
Bickel cleared waivers after training camp, he will now have to clear waivers again if he were to be sent down after playing his 10th game.
He didn't have to clear re-entry waivers when recalled because he is on a two-way contract and his AHL salary is below 105k.
speaking of salary- how does that work with two way contracts? his salary is 600k. is he paid by the game or by the day (whether there is a game or not) that he is called up?

collegehockeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegehockeyguy View Post
speaking of salary- how does that work with two way contracts? his salary is 600k. is he paid by the game or by the day (whether there is a game or not) that he is called up?
Players are paid their NHL salary every day they are on the roster (plus other perks like higher meal money than they get in the AHL). I can't remember if they are paid twice a month or monthly though. Also players' salaries are paid only during the regular season (they actually work for "free" during training camp, pre-season and the playoffs).

A two-way contract just means they are paid different amounts if they are on the NHL roster (in the 100s of thousands) vs if they are in the minors (where most players are paid between $50,000 and $100,000).

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:30 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i think its obvious once Eminger or Sauer returns, Woywitka is gone, and Bickel moves out of the lineup. The real question is, who comes out once the other player comes back (assuming nobody else is hurt.)

id vote for Stralman to stay in.

Girardi McDonagh
Sauer Staal
MDZ Stralman

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:40 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yeah, this is what I see happening.
Its better than losing him for nothing through waivers. Maybe he can become a #6 guy for us next year when Stralman and Eminger's contracts run out.

01-11-2012, 07:45 AM
eco's bones

If Bickel has to go through waivers to go back down to the AHL that changes things because I think there's a very good chance he'd get claimed. Teams are always on the lookout for d-men. I don't want that to happen.

We can have 23 healthy players on our roster at any one time. If Sauer and Eminger are among them:

1. Lundqvist
2. Biron
3. Staal
4. Girardi
5. McDonagh
6. Del Zotto
7. Sauer
8. Stralman
9. Eminger
10. Bickel
11. Richards
12. Gaborik
13. Callahan
14. Dubinsky
15. Stepan
16. Anisimov
17. Fedetenko
18. Boyle
19. Prust
20. Hagelin
21. Mitchell
22. Rupp
23. Wolski
---------------
Christensen and Woywitka go.

Not sure though that Torts is going to be happy with 8 defensemen. IMO though it's better than losing a player you might very badly need later on. It doesn't get mentioned here much but a lot of us are thinking this is a team that can go very deep into the playoffs--perhaps even....

Playoff series tend to get harder and more grueling from round to round. Injuries can accumulate and having extra players you can count on to plug holes is essential to any contending team's preparation going into the playoffs. You need guys who can do grunt work and play tough. It's not too soon to be thinking about it.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 07:50 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Woywitka, I could care less about. Bickel, however I do like. I do not thinkt hat me will make it through waivers. I think that he fits the bill as a physical 3rd pairing defensemen. I also think that teams need players like that. I like Stralman actually, but think that form a 3rd d-pairing (one that will be paired with a MDZ or Sauer), I think that Bickel gives teh team more.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:26 AM
GAGLine

Just for point of reference, Bickel played 13:22 last night and Stralman played 24:52 (more than McD and MDZ). Woywitka didn't play. I think that gives a pretty good indication of what the pecking order might be once Sauer returns, though where Eminger fits is anyone's guess. I would think he'd get the nod over Bickel and Woywitka, but maybe not over Stralman.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:45 AM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
I'd keep Bickel over Stralman when Sauer comes back. His added toughness and willingness to stick up for his teammates makes this a no-brainer, IMO.
Or, have we got like 4 other D's doing that. We need skill back there, not more thoughness imo. Keep Stralman.

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:06 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohf View Post
Or, have we got like 4 other D's doing that. We need skill back there, not more thoughness imo. Keep Stralman.
There is toughness as in being gritty and then there is toughness as in toughness. Bickel is tough. We always complain about no one moving bodies from the crease and bemoan not having a real crease clearer sind Beuk, but then a player (note: I am not annoiting him the next Beuk) comes along in that mold and we can't wait to get rid of him, in favor of more "skill". Girardi, MDZ, McDonagh, Staal, these are all playes with skill. And all are easily capable of moving the puck. Bickel adds a dimension that the others do not have.

Old
01-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Leetch66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohf View Post
The games the rest of the way are going to be a lot more physical and we will have some injuries on the offense and the defense . A list of 23 guys was posted on this thread a couple of posts back...it looks pretty darn fine IMO unless we make a trade .

Stralman will probably play a lot over the next 15-20 games until Staal gets his conditioning back to normal . Bickel is the guy that can add a completely different element to our team mainly because he has no fear and is very willing to drop the gloves at any time . He wants to stay with the big team and I see him not backing away from anybody and he will be slugging away in our game against the Bruins. In that game I would dress 7 D with Bickel as the 7th .

The Bruins will throw Thornton-McQuaid-Lucic-Campbell-Chara and we have to counter with Bickel-Rupp-Dubi-Prust-Cally-Boyle...I feel for the guy that has to dance with Chara/Lucic...LOL...Bickel might have to go twice unless Boyle learns how to defend himself awfully fast .

The other option is leave Bickel out...watch the Bruins run the King at free will and we turtle when we have to...pick your poison !

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 08:34 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
The games the rest of the way are going to be a lot more physical and we will have some injuries on the offense and the defense . A list of 23 guys was posted on this thread a couple of posts back...it looks pretty darn fine IMO unless we make a trade .

Stralman will probably play a lot over the next 15-20 games until Staal gets his conditioning back to normal . Bickel is the guy that can add a completely different element to our team mainly because he has no fear and is very willing to drop the gloves at any time . He wants to stay with the big team and I see him not backing away from anybody and he will be slugging away in our game against the Bruins. In that game I would dress 7 D with Bickel as the 7th .

The Bruins will throw Thornton-McQuaid-Lucic-Campbell-Chara and we have to counter with Bickel-Rupp-Dubi-Prust-Cally-Boyle...I feel for the guy that has to dance with Chara/Lucic...LOL...Bickel might have to go twice unless Boyle learns how to defend himself awfully fast .

The other option is leave Bickel out...watch the Bruins run the King at free will and we turtle when we have to...pick your poison !
I'm with you, I think Bickel should play vs Boston for sure.

01-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Woywitka, I could care less about. Bickel, however I do like. I do not thinkt hat me will make it through waivers. I think that he fits the bill as a physical 3rd pairing defensemen. I also think that teams need players like that. I like Stralman actually, but think that form a 3rd d-pairing (one that will be paired with a MDZ or Sauer), I think that Bickel gives teh team more.
Not a chance he gives the team more. Especially once Sauer comes back.

There's a reason that Bickel sits in close games in key minutes and Stralman continues to play. He just offers more as a player. I love Bickel. Great team guy, very solid bottom pairing d-man, etc. Just when Sauer comes back, he'll replace a lot of the snarl Bickel has and add about 20x the skill.

We have a grand total of two players that can move the puck really well if Bickel is in the line-up. MDZ and McD. That's it. We have guys that are adequate like Girardi, Staal and Sauer. And, really, McD isn't that far up there in terms of offense or puck moving yet, either. We have to keep Stralman in the line-up. Our team's offense and passing game will suffer by removing him. And that's how our team goes. When our passing is going, our team is going. Our team thrives on good puck movement and crisp passing. Ever notice in games that we are doing ****** in? It's the passing being off the mark 9/10.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 12:21 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Right now, I'd much rather see Stralman in the lineup than either Eminger or Bickel. Stralman has been better than any of us could have hoped for. He adds a dimension to the team's play that they sorely needed: another guy with vision handling the puck. Eminger and Bickel are fine, but their contributions aren't as necessary given the makeup of the team.

Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Sauer, Del Zott, Stralman is the best six the Rangers can put out on the ice right now. Hold on to Eminger and Bickel, to be sure, but I want #32 lacing them up most nights, as long as he keeps playing the way he has been.
Totally agree, but I have to say I'm shocked at Bickel. What the hell are they feeding those boys down in Hartford? He had a shift with great lateral movement to get his stick on a puck. I was just impressed with how well he was handling himself out there. Calm, nothing fancy but solid, with some toughness thrown in. Not bad at all.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 12:55 AM
clmetsfan

I think people tend to get over-enamored with snarl from a defenseman because it's just so much damn fun to watch a guy dish out some punishment for going into the crease. And while every team needs toughness, at the end of the day, a technically sound, well-rounded defenseman is the better player to keep around, and that's what Stralman is.

When Sauer or Eminger comes back, I'd send Bickel back down to Hartford to continue working on his game, and call him first the next time we need someone. Woywitka can be the 7th until both Sauer and Eminger are healthy, and then re-evaluate Eminger and Stralman for that role when the time comes.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 07:49 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Not a chance he gives the team more. Especially once Sauer comes back.
I am saying that he may give the team more from a 3rd pairing prespective.

Quote:
We have a grand total of two players that can move the puck really well if Bickel is in the line-up. MDZ and McD. That's it.
Staal & Girardi can make an outlet pass as well.

Old
01-12-2012, 07:52 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I think people tend to get over-enamored with snarl from a defenseman because it's just so much damn fun to watch a guy dish out some punishment for going into the crease. And while every team needs toughness, at the end of the day, a technically sound, well-rounded defenseman is the better player to keep around, and that's what Stralman is.

When Sauer or Eminger comes back, I'd send Bickel back down to Hartford to continue working on his game, and call him first the next time we need someone. Woywitka can be the 7th until both Sauer and Eminger are healthy, and then re-evaluate Eminger and Stralman for that role when the time comes.
Bickel cannot go to Hartford witout beign placed on waivers. And looking at these 10 games, I have a hard time believing that he woudl make it through. Young, inexpensive, tough 3rd pairing defensemen are sought by teams looking to upgrade their team.

This has nothing to do with having fun watching someone clear the crease. But Ranger fans as a whole constantly bemoan not having ever replaced Beuk. Isn't that what led to drafting Mclgrath? Stralman my be more technically sound. But at this point, he is what he is. Bickel stands to improve. Again, I happen to like Stralman's play this year and think that he gets underrated. But I just like what I see from Bickel and do not want to loose him.

Old
01-12-2012, 08:00 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Stralman my be more technically sound. But at this point, he is what he is. Bickel stands to improve.
Stralman is 2 months older than Bickel. They are both 25. Both still have room to grow.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 08:18 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

I'm kind of torn on what to do with the D pairings once we are completely healthy. Woywitka obviously is the first man sent down. I don't see too many people arguing that. However, there appears to be only 2 spots for 3 players, none of whom have done anything to be waived. Those 3 would be Stralman, Eminger, and Bickel. Our Top-5 would be set with Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Sauer, and DelZotto. That leaves the other 3 fighting for the 6/7 spots. Each have their strengths and drawbacks. Stralman adds offense and puck-moving ability from the back line, but is a softer defender and weaker skater. Eminger is a good skater, solid defender, and has a bit of snarl to his game, but has very little offense, and is prone to brain farts. Bickel is hard-nosed, strong on the boards, and excellent positionally, but a very slow skater and non-existent offense.

I think the Rangers put off this decision as long as possible by making sure Eminger and Sauer are 100% ready to play before inserting them back into the lineup. In the end, though, I think Bickel is the odd man out, which is a shame, because I think he gets claimed on waivers.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 08:24 AM
NYR Viper

It's very simple. Carry 8 defensemen.

Staal
Girardi
MDZ
McDonagh
Sauer
Stralman
Bickel
Eminger

There will be injuries and if not, McDonagh and Girardi should get a night off here and there later on in the season to rest if at all possible.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 08:46 AM
Vitto79

this is the same team that carried 6 Dmen last yr ..........no way they bother keeping 8 healthy D.one spare is enough............its Stu Freaking Bickel guys, good for him for doing well but he's a minor league depth guy........he will clear anyway

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
this is the same team that carried 6 Dmen last yr ..........no way they bother keeping 8 healthy D.one spare is enough............its Stu Freaking Bickel guys, good for him for doing well but he's a minor league depth guy........he will clear anyway
Doubt he'd clear.

Plus, this team carried 6 Dmen for most of last year because they had to. There wasn't anyone else worth having on the roster. Thus, the trade for McCabe at the deadline, at which point the team had 7 defensemen. 4 of those defensemen were playing a total of around 100 minutes per night, out of 120 available to D. This year, we may have the depth in place to even out the time more and have our 10-minute guys on the bench except when needed.

Edit: actually, the only time this team carried 6 D last year was after Rozy got traded and DZ sent to the minors, but before McCabe was acquired. I'm not 100% sure that time existed. Answer: 11 days in January that the team carried 6 defensemen.

Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Sauer, Eminger, Gilroy, Rozsival, DelZotto, McCabe

Last edited by Tawnos: 01-12-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
It's very simple. Carry 8 defensemen.

Staal
Girardi
MDZ
McDonagh
Sauer
Stralman
Bickel
Eminger

There will be injuries and if not, McDonagh and Girardi should get a night off here and there later on in the season to rest if at all possible.
Yep, that's exactly what I'd do. Carry 8 if our defense ever gets healthy and send Woywitka to Hartford, hoping that he clears. As Vancouver showed last year, you can never have too many defensemen on a long run in the play-offs. Bickel is extremely likely to be claimed at his salary.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:51 AM
nrf83

Quote:
NYR lost 3 Dmen in what less than 30 games? Dmen like Bickel are invaluable when a crisis occurs. Losing 3 D's to me is a crisis. Bickel I would think would not clear waivers and I would hate to lose him. Can anyone answer why NJD cut Stralman in training camp? He has certainly opened my eyes with his play so far; Eminger, per Larry Brooks yesterday, is still 8 weeks from suiting up and who knows when Sauer will be ready, so we might be a little premature in demoting or benching anyone. NYR have an unbelievably tough schedule coming up and injuries could rear its ugly head at anytime, I vote we keep everyone.

nrf83 is offline   Reply With Quote