HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Looking into the future

Old
01-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
We might be faced with a problem similar to the Panthers, where you have to give stupid money to mediocre players because you have to reach the cap floor.
Seems to be working so far in Florida. And they're only $5.5M above us in payroll.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:11 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreTheGovt View Post
It's been my internet handle since AOL 2.0. If you know where it is from, you'd be the first person in 15 years to openly acknowledge it.
I do, and I know Wes (crossxchecker) does as well

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:22 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
guys if BOS can survive the joe thornton trade.. and they did. look at them now, they're a juggernaut.. we will be fine with or without suter/weber. if we can't sign them, trade them. (only DP knows, so we can only speculate).. but let me say one thing, if DP knows 100% he can't sign suter.. TRADE HIM NOW. it will be a better return sooner. we can also use that $7 mil saved for both offensive and defensive help (positives) come free agency
This.

I'm torn between agreeing that you can't just demand a trade to happen, but then constantly being surprised when GM's manage to pull out deals that no one had on their radar.

Worst case scenario, the Preds lose both Suter and Weber. Well, in Weber's case at least, it'll mean at least draft picks, but in the cap world, even the extra salary space is a huge, huge asset. Teams will often do very lopsided trades just to get the space they need to pull off a deal. The Canucks traded a couple of never-will-see-the-inside-of-the-AHL draft picks a couple years ago to get Erhoff, who became our best defenseman, and it all happened because San Jose needed to get cap space.

The beauty with the cap is that even if a team completely blows its knees out either with a bad trade or losing a key UFA, two or three shrewd moves and you could actually find yourself even better than before, and Boston and Thornton is the classic example.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 07:56 AM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Assuming, of course, that the ones available are willing to play in nashville for market money, and we don't have to ridiculously overpay
this.

we cannot fall under the illusion that $$$ = good forwards

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:08 AM
YouAreTheGovt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Bad Religion?
Ding.

YouAreTheGovt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:09 AM
YouAreTheGovt

Quote:
with 15 million, at least 2 60 pt wingers and a top 2 defenseman or 2 top 4 defenseman and an elite scorer, or 2 top 4 defenseman and 2 top 6 forwards... etc
If this is what $15 million gets us, what's the best argument for keeping either of these guys if they aren't dying to play in Nashville?

YouAreTheGovt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:44 AM
torero

Quote:
guys if BOS can survive the joe thornton trade.. and they did. look at them now, they're a juggernaut.. we will be fine with or without suter/weber. if we can't sign them, trade them. (only DP knows, so we can only speculate).. but let me say one thing, if DP knows 100% he can't sign suter.. TRADE HIM NOW. it will be a better return sooner. we can also use that $7 mil saved for both offensive and defensive help (positives) come free agency
The strength of Nashville is it its management !! look how competitive the team is with such a low salary level !!

I understand that this team will allways have jems in its young guys; tks to your excellent management.

And as seen without Weber, some other players stepped up and what ... most games were still won !

The coach should still put Weber and Sutter on different lines !

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:05 AM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreTheGovt View Post
If this is what $15 million gets us, what's the best argument for keeping either of these guys if they aren't dying to play in Nashville?
me personally.. and this is just me. but if they don't want to play here, then ship them out (last resort).. get assests back and use some of the cash in free agency / trades

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:00 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

The problem with that is that you run the risk of not being able to lure free agents.

How attractive is our team\city, minus Weber\Suter? Suddenly, 4 million to play in San Jose is a lot more appealing than 5 to play in Nashville.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
me personally.. and this is just me. but if they don't want to play here, then ship them out (last resort).. get assests back and use some of the cash in free agency / trades
Agreed. It would definitely sting a bit at first, but once some new faces came in to cheer for and assuming the season wasn't a complete bomb, I don't think it would be discussed much after November.

Also not sure where the attitude came from that nobody wants to play here now. When we were signing Dumont, Kariya, Arnott... trading for Forsberg. We were always talking about what a great place it was to play (good area to live, no income tax, relative anonymity for hockey stars)...

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote