HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden

Will we ever see a Swedish player as good as prime Forsberg again?

View Poll Results: Will we ever see a Swedish player as good as Forsberg again?
YES! 22 48.89%
NO! 23 51.11%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-12-2012, 09:25 AM
WayneBruce

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 View Post
Sundin, on top, seriously?

If talking only NHL now, what did Sundin accomplish during his years as a Captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs? He gave me the impession that the captaincy was a burden.

Sundin was great as a player, one of Sweden's top three players all time. Also did a good job as a captain for Sweden.

But way to quiet, nice and calm for leading a NHL team if you ask me.

Well, we are free to have differential opinions. ;-)
Well to start, he is the highest scoring player for the leafs ever. Captained the team for 10 years. 25th all time in points and constantly playing on a bad to average team. His best winger must have been Alex Mogilny, he did never play with a Yashin, Heatley, Spezza, Hull, Yzerman, Fedorov, Shanahan, Zetteberg or Datsyuk. The leafs were just never good enough to win a cup and its not easy to accomplish anything on a bad team.

And quiet? He strikes me as a very outgoing person, more so than Lidstrom and Alfie. Joe Sakic is considered one of the best captains of all time and he was a pretty quiet and calm guy.

WayneBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Peter The Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlamov71 View Post
Well to start, he is the highest scoring player for the leafs ever. Captained the team for 10 years. 25th all time in points and constantly playing on a bad to average team. His best winger must have been Alex Mogilny, he did never play with a Yashin, Heatley, Spezza, Hull, Yzerman, Fedorov, Shanahan, Zetteberg or Datsyuk. The leafs were just never good enough to win a cup and its not easy to accomplish anything on a bad team.

And quiet? He strikes me as a very outgoing person, more so than Lidstrom and Alfie. Joe Sakic is considered one of the best captains of all time and he was a pretty quiet and calm guy.
Why mixing up his point production with his leadership skills? I simply don't get this.

Talking only points I believe he had his highest point production seasons before becoming the Captain of the Leafs.

Saying it again: I love Mats Sundin but I just don't think he was the perfect Captain for Toronto.

Joe Sakic is probably outspoken comparing to most Swedes but you have a point. ;-)

There will always be exceptions, of course there are calm quiet people who have good leadership skills.

Last edited by 21: 01-12-2012 at 10:10 AM.
21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Hirvi

I don't think we'll see someone dominate on the same lever as he did ever again, no.

He's the only sweden who managed to be up on the Gretzky / Mario-level.

Lidstrom isn't on Orr's level either. The thing with Lidstrom is that he plays a 9/10-game almost every night. He might not shine all the time but he keeps going like a train covered with wool. Not killing everything but still going forward.

Forsberg was a rolling stone. Bam.

Gretzky was einstein.

Hirvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 04:10 AM
jfc64

We will never see a canadian player as good as Forsberg either. 1. Ol' 21 2. Lidstorm 3. Sun Dim

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 07:52 AM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
I think a better question would be: Will we ever see another swedish hockey player as loved (in Sweden) as Forsberg?
Wtf? I am under the impression that he has the most haters. Which was seen during his comebacks, he recived tons of crap from everywhere on how he should just quit..

Zetterberg/lundqvist/Lidström is more loved?

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 01:10 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin929 View Post
Wtf? I am under the impression that he has the most haters. Which was seen during his comebacks, he recived tons of crap from everywhere on how he should just quit..

Zetterberg/lundqvist/Lidström is more loved?
No, no, no.- Forsberg has a solid rep. in Sweden, mostly because he made some damage in the national team and in the SEL before going to the NHL.

Lidström if anyone does not get as much credit in Sween as he does in the NHL.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:28 PM
ukrleaf

Quote:
Saying it again: I love Mats Sundin but I just don't think he was the perfect Captain for Toronto
Now we have a good Canadian boy who hits, fights and djs in the locker room. And he just blows... Never in Mats' tenure the team lacked leadership as much as we do now.

He was a perfect captain, it is just sad that Leafs fans do not value and cherish some things...

ukrleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 11:52 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 View Post
Why mixing up his point production with his leadership skills? I simply don't get this.

Talking only points I believe he had his highest point production seasons before becoming the Captain of the Leafs.

Saying it again: I love Mats Sundin but I just don't think he was the perfect Captain for Toronto.

Joe Sakic is probably outspoken comparing to most Swedes but you have a point. ;-)

There will always be exceptions, of course there are calm quiet people who have good leadership skills.
Ehm.. Sundin was the undisputed captain on a team with Lidstrom, Forsberg and Alfredsson on it. The latter is the longest serving captain in the NHL, one is the captain of the most successful hockey club over the past two decades, and the third the best Swede to ever play in a Tre Kronor uniform. That speaks volumes. I also believe Mats was a much more vocal guy in the locker room than you seem to think. Everybody looked up to him. If you could win on leadership alone, Sundin aswell as Alfredsson and Iginla would all have multiple cups.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 02:51 AM
bert

There is a 21 year old swedish defenseman who is having the best offensive season for his age since Bobby Orr. When he is 25 you may have an answer to this thread.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:07 AM
Doghandler

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Ehm.. Sundin was the undisputed captain on a team with Lidstrom, Forsberg and Alfredsson on it. The latter is the longest serving captain in the NHL, one is the captain of the most successful hockey club over the past two decades, and the third the best Swede to ever play in a Tre Kronor uniform. That speaks volumes. I also believe Mats was a much more vocal guy in the locker room than you seem to think. Everybody looked up to him. If you could win on leadership alone, Sundin aswell as Alfredsson and Iginla would all have multiple cups.
This , so much this. Check that comeback game in Torino. "Hårde Hardy" just froze and stood there with a stupid look on his face. Mats took that team on his back.

Forsberg was the superior player but Mats Sundin was the ultimate Tre Kronor captain.

Doghandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:25 AM
Hockeyfrilla

Forsberg and Sundin retired, Alfie and Lidström might retire after this season...ugh the legends are dropping of one by one..

Hockeyfrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:31 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
Forsberg and Sundin retired, Alfie and Lidström might retire after this season...ugh the legends are dropping of one by one..
But the future actually looks a lot brighter this year than it has done for years.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Oyabun

Forsberg is one of the absolute greatest to ever play the game and by any rational hockey fan, he should be ranked along with Lemieux and Gretzky. Perhaps with an * because of the injuries he sustained. He did not produce for as long but what he did produce is historic and scenes we won't experience any time soon. Forsberg is kind of like the Ronaldo (the real Ronaldo) of hockey.
His career was cut short but when he was in his prime, IT was an absolute beast and sadly, I don't expect to see such a dominant Swedish player in a long long time. For the sake of Tre Kronor and my own enjoyment, I hope I'm wrong of course.

Even the not so diehard hockey fan Zlatan said (in response to his general hobbies/interests)

"I like Forsberg, what a player!. If you've seen him, you've seen it all"

Oyabun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:45 AM
Lexus
OWN THE MOMENT.

Needs to be posted here aswell.

Quote:
To get some perspective on how much heart and love of the game Forsberg had.

Colorado Avalanche players went to bed Wednesday filled with happy thoughts of a Game 7 win and the ongoing pursuit of the Stanley Cup, but they awakened to learn that teammate Peter Forsberg had faced a potentially life-threatening ordeal as they slept.

Forsberg had his spleen removed during an emergency 2-hour surgery at Rose Medical Center at 3:15 a.m. Thursday. Doctors performed the operation after Forsberg complained of crippling pain in the left side of his abdomen a couple hours after the Avs beat Los Angeles, 5-1.

Forsberg had suffered a ruptured or lacerated spleen and was suffering from internal bleeding. The doctors found 1.7 (57 ounces) liters of blood in his stomach(!) The Avs said they do not know what hit - or combination of hits - might have caused the injury.

It ends the season of Colorado's leading postseason scorer, but doctors and team officials are optimistic that Forsberg will play hockey again - maybe as early as next season.

Bob Hartley: "In the morning of the 7th game against the Devils in the Stanley Cup Finals, Forsberg waited for me in my office at 8:30. He literally begged me to allow him to return for the final game."

"Without delay, I communicated with my general manager, Pierre Lacroix, and the team's doctors. But they refused to allow Forsberg to play. According to the doctors, Forsberg could've died on the rink if we allowed him to play that day. It was way too risky but we thanked Forsberg for being such a warrior."

Quote:
"He was the most talented guy I ever played with, for just pure raw talent. But more than that, he was a winner and a total gamer, he just wanted to win. He didn't care who scored all the goals or who got all the credit. He just wanted to win, and that's why his teams won as much as they did. We were all very lucky to play with him." "He was such an unselfish player, he loved to setup teammates, he's passing ability was second to none. He created alot of empty nets for alot of players and im one of the big benefactors from him, I got alot of easy goals thanks to Peter. There was nobody in my era there that was as skilled as him and that could play that tough style of hockey and i know when see other friends, he's the one player they mentioned they hated to play against. I got to play with Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux and all these guys, but there's not one guy that i could compare Forsberg with, he could beat you up physically or he could beat somebody up and bang them around and then take the puck and make the nicest pass ever, no-one else had that. -- Joe Sakic

"Peter Forsberg is one of the best hockey players that ever played the game, and I actually don't think that anyone has been so good as Peter was during his peak, I've played against him alot, so I should know." -- Vjatjeslav Fetisov

At the HHOF induction, was asked the question on which player he thinks it's the best he ever played against. -- I would probably say that Forsberg is the best player I ever played against" -- Scott Stevens

"Some of the stuff he does is just ridiculous. Jaromir Jagr is big and strong like Forsberg, but Jagr doesn't fight back if you play him tough like Forsberg does. "I think he's the toughest player in the game to play against." -- Derian Hatcher

"For me, an agitator is somebody who controls the emotion of the game," "And Peter definitely controls the emotion of the game for them." "The only thing that stopped Forsberg is that he ran out of gas when they double- and tripleshifted him, and he wasn't able to use his speed, plus his strength," Hitchcock says. "I remember one time he kept the puck in our end for 40, maybe 50 seconds, and we couldn't get the thing away from him. His ability to knock Derian Hatcher on his butt while giving up 40 pounds shows how he can completely control and dominate a game. He's a player with skill and talent who occasionally goes maniacal. Boy, he gets a really strange look in his eyes. It's like the same steely glare that Mark Messier always gets, and you don't want to be anywhere near him." -- Ken Hitchcock

"Obviously one of the best players in the league the last 15 years, a guy who really controlled the play when he was on the ice, and there's only a handful of guy's in the league at any given era that really, actually controlled the play when the're where on the ice, just his combination of skill, strenght, determinition, and a bit of meanness or alot of meanness actually made him one of the best players to play." -- Steve Yzerman

"Peter is the best all-around player in the NHL, bar none. He's a competitor. He's the ultimate warrior. His hands are electric. He's one of the smartest players on the ice, and he knows where everybody is. He always makes the right play, and he even makes the plays you don't think he can make. He's so fast on his feet and so powerful. And he's mean. The guy is so talented, he's disgusting to watch." -- Jeremy Roenick

"If you could be anyone else in hockey, who would it be?" -- "That's easy. Peter Forsberg," (Claude) Lemieux says. "I could still be mean and nasty, but if I had all of the skills that he has, I might have won five or six Stanley Cups by now. "I can only dream of skating like Peter. Either that or buy some rocket-powered skates." "(After seeing) a Michael Jordan or a Wayne Gretzky, you think you've seen it all," Lemieux says, "and then Peter shows you something entirely new. "It's the way he creates space, uses space. It's the way he sees the ice. It's the way he picks up speed even after he picks up the puck. And it's the meanness, the nastiness." -- Claude Lemieux

"He's a coach's dream. The more crucial the time in a game or a series, the tougher he gets. I think sometimes he's able to flip on a switch in his mind and be at a different level than everyone else. " -- Ray Bourque

"Peter's ability to change the game was bar none, he could bring so many elements to a game to change it... My best advice when you're playing against Peter is to go change and let someone else play against him." -- Adam Deadmarsh

"The toughest NHL player you ever played against?" -- Quite easily Peter Forsberg. We have had our battles (he said laughing)... Forsberg was a one-man wrecking crew. He was so skilled and yet so powerful.. the man could simply do it all and at the same time he was hard as nails. He was extremely tough to play against. He was down right nasty." -- Chris Chelios

"Peter Forsberg's skills and determination made him one of the most powerful forwards in the NHL during the best years of his career. Hearing of his retirement is sad news but one day every athlete has to come to this decision. He should be very proud of all he accomplished throughout his career." -- Patrick Roy

"Peter has had a tremendous career. He's been a world class player, one of the superstars of the NHL. I've had the pleasure of playing with him on national teams and the gold-medal-winning Olympic team in Torino. It's sad to see him retire, but he wanted to go out on his own terms and I believe he's doing that. I wish him well in all of his future endeavors." -- Nicklas Lidstrom

Last edited by Lexus: 03-14-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:57 PM
TollefsenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentothal View Post
I've heard this said many times that we won't, by Tommy Boustedt for instance, and I guess it's a testament to Forsberg's incredible legacy and (deserved) legend status in Swedish hockey.

Edited: Do you believe we will?
No sorry i dnt think we will ever see a player like Kristian Forsberg again He is just one of a kind

TollefsenFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Harikkerk

Forsberg brought more to the table for Team Sweden.

But if we're talking about the early 90's to 2000 i'd say Lidström and Sundin are close to be as big as Forsberg. At least in north america, as Swedes...

Like i said, he's just more known in Sweden in general, He had a pretty short career, but still made his name huge here in Sweden and Colorado.

1. Forsberg
2. Lidström
3. Sundin

(if we skip all the oldies like salming etc)

Harikkerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Rumcajs

Erik "The Gazelle" Karlsson

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:09 AM
jolii

Of course there will be. Just look at all the Swedish players born 90-91.
They are still young but the potential in them is magnificant.
Take Mika Zibanejad; if his curve just keeps going up he'll be huge. Same as for Landeskog, and they are born in 93 and 92.
I doubt any player may get the same status as Forsberg in Sweden. Landeskog has played what, 2 SEL games tops? He is already a major part in Colorado's lineup.
Zibanejad played half a season last year and was required by the Ottawa in september.
My point is, they are on the road to becoming great players in North America, not so much in Swedish relations.
But technical skills and talent; there will absolutely be as good players as Forsberg.
The game develops year by year and the players get better at everything.
Nothing will stay the same, meaning Forsberg won't be the biggest of all time, for all time.

jolii is offline   Reply With Quote