HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glen Sather and his Staff - Botta

Old
01-11-2012, 10:40 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

vCash: 500
Glen Sather and his Staff - Botta

Awesome article by Botta

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/12/sp...-nytimessports

Quote:
Ill keep listening to my staff, he said. Well look at hundreds of things and maybe do one trade. My only concern is ruining our team chemistry. Its a big reason for our success so far.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Vitto79

good article. Chemistry is a big reason for the teams success which is why I think we can rule out a Bobby Ryan deal this yr.......it would mean moving a Dubi or Anisimov plus.....

Its going to be a rental for picks and/or prospect which is fine with me. Let Kreider ,Miller , Thomas fight for a roster spot next yr too.

Keep building from within its working!

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:09 PM
McMonster

Never seen so many quotes from Sather in one article before

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:20 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Really great article

01-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Wow, I love this look into the GM's office. great article, and it is nice to finally get a glimpse of things from Sather's perspective.

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 12:01 AM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Really enjoyed the read, thanks.

Shadowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 12:03 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Chrtis Botta has been a breath of fresh air for the Times.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 12:14 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Thanks for posting.... Sather quotes are always intriguing.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 12:37 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsteppp View Post
Never seen so many quotes from Sather in one article before
Never seen so many quotes from Sather in a New York paper. Feel like only Alberta papers have ever gotten this much from Slats.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:06 AM
MeltingPlastic

Honestly, even though we give slats a hard time, he truly is a good GM and when he took over as GM, Smith had basically depleted the system. Slats has done a great job molding a team and molding it the way torts wanted. Renny kept us competitive with a skeleton roster, Torts is making us a winner... Slats may play hard ball with RFAs but lets face it, hes done pretty well so far (Gomez/Redden aside)

From what i've been told, and what we even saw at the winter classic, Slats is an approachable guy and if he spoke to the media more, I think none of us would have a problem with him. I think He'll pull a move at the deadline if we are still playing as well as we are for that one final piece but i doubt he'll give up the farm

MeltingPlastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:54 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Great read. Some interesting thoughts from Slats.

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:22 AM
lebear
I have no idea

Quote:
Hes there with his cigar and a lot of questions for us. There isnt any confusion about whos in charge.

Great read, nice to get a view on what goes on behind the scenes.

lebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:42 AM
Block More Shots

I could see Vinny Prospal coming back to us at the deadline. He'd be a good vet pickup for the playoffs.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 07:36 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sather sounds like Gordon Gekko talking to Bud Fox in his office

"I look at a hundred deals a day,I pick one".

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 07:43 AM
Crease

The fans would have a fairer opinion of Sather if he was more vocal in the media.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 07:56 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Loving the mojo.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:46 AM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
The fans would have a fairer opinion of Sather if he was more vocal in the media.
Totally agree. This has bothered me about Sather since he started here. I listen to NHL Radio daily and in the course of 2 years I've heard every GM in the league interviewed at least twice. Never heard a Sather one-on-one. Some people don't care about these types of things or perception but just a few chats would do alot to change opinions and give a bit of insight. Look what 24/7 did for Tortorella. Alot of people, here alone, that weren't crazy about him before have warmed to him a bit. Sather doesn't owe us interviews and exposure and it's all about results but just hearing from him on some level every now and then would go a long way.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:59 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Meaning no insult, how old are you? i ask because the comment that is made could not be further from the truth. Some of the long time denizens of this board endured some pretty harsh years of embarassment under Sather. When he came here, he almost singlehandedly turned a team that was bad into the joke of the NHL. Yes, there is success now,but let's not forget that there have been exactly 2 second roudnd playoff appearances. And also, let's not forget the first half of his tenure when the stRangers ruled.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:03 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Meaning no insult, how old are you? i ask because the comment that is made could not be further from the truth. Some of the long time denizens of this board endured some pretty harsh years of embarassment under Sather. When he came here, he almost singlehandedly turned a team that was bad into the joke of the NHL. Yes, there is success now,but let's not forget that there have been exactly 2 second roudnd playoff appearances. And also, let's not forget the first half of his tenure when the stRangers ruled.
You're kidding yourself if you think the Rangers weren't already the joke of the NHL when Sather took over.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
You're kidding yourself if you think the Rangers weren't already the joke of the NHL when Sather took over.
They were. The problem was that Sather continued the same failed policies for another 4 years. (some of that I blame on Dolan, some of it on Sather)

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Personally, I don't care if Sather speaks to the media or not. He's been here long enough and under this "rebuild" for long enough that I usually get what he's doing whether he talks about it or not. And also, despite the fact that I like what's been happening the last few years, the first part of his tenure makes me not really want to see his face or hear his voice all that often.

And at my last job, where I was a manager, I always had the same philosophy as Sather seems to. To me, good managers rarely make decisions beyond approval or denial.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
No insult taken. 25.

I remember the late 90s and early 2000s vividly. I remember screaming at the TV when the Rangers icing wasn't waved off in the last few seconds of Game 7 in '94. Sather was brutal when he first came in. He was out of his element when given a blank checkbook.

The point I made was that Glen is a very intelligent and well-spoken individual. The lack of sound bytes when the team isn't doing well makes it seem as if he's out fishing in Edmonton while his creation is stinking up Broadway. That kind of "distance" never bodes well with fans of any franchise.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:13 AM
GAGLine

The salary cap is the best thing to happen to the Rangers since 94. It forced the organization to build the right way.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yes, sort of. He took the joke to a completely different level tho.

When Slats took over, the team was in it's first season of true stupidity. As I recall, he took over the season after Smith had thrown money at his version of stop gap players like Fleury, Kamensky, Taylor, Quintal, etc. while our supposed youths developed. Guys like Malhotra, Brendl, Lundmark, York & Hlavak were supposed to be waiting in the wings.

When Sather arrived, he basically shipped these kids out as soon as possible. In retrospect, none of them have really had much of an NHL career. The true problem arises with what he got for them. He basically continued Smith's momentum with hiring mercenaries. The only difference is that while Smith had prospects, Sather had jack. And it took him years to figure this out.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:40 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Yes, sort of. He took the joke to a completely different level tho.

When Slats took over, the team was in it's first season of true stupidity. As I recall, he took over the season after Smith had thrown money at his version of stop gap players like Fleury, Kamensky, Taylor, Quintal, etc. while our supposed youths developed. Guys like Malhotra, Brendl, Lundmark, York & Hlavak were supposed to be waiting in the wings.

When Sather arrived, he basically shipped these kids out as soon as possible. In retrospect, none of them have really had much of an NHL career. The true problem arises with what he got for them. He basically continued Smith's momentum with hiring mercenaries. The only difference is that while Smith had prospects, Sather had jack. And it took him years to figure this out.
It also takes time to build a staff of people who you can trust. Like the article says, the GM oversees everything, but he doesn't make those decisions by himself.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote