HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Will Bryzgalov ever be worth his contract? All Bryz Discussion Here. Part Two

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Hollywood Couturier

vCash: 500
Will Bryzgalov ever be worth his contract? All Bryz Discussion Here. Part Two

Last thread was close to 1000 continue here.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
01-11-2012, 10:20 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Last thread was close to 1000 continue here.

Well at least we know that Bob is worth his contract...

Old
01-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Kaktus*

Bob % is at .919

Old
01-11-2012, 10:24 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
The thread that will never die.

Old
01-11-2012, 10:30 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
The thread that will never die.
This is the thread that never dies...
And it deserves to have new life...
Some people wanted Bryzgalov not knowing what he was...
And now we're stuck paying him forever just because...

Last edited by CS: 01-11-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old
01-11-2012, 10:36 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
This is the thread that never dies...
And it deserves to have new life...
Some people wanted Bryzgalov not knowing what he was...
And now we're stuck paying him forever just because...

Old
01-11-2012, 10:36 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

The answer is contingent upon him winning a cup..I stand by it and it's no different than my position on Pronger when we got him. At least with Prongs it almost happened..with Bryz I'm questioning if he has the mental make up but not so much the skill. I will grant him a waiver of sorts for this year which was supposed to be a transition year for the whole team b/c of all the turnover but as Meltzer noted in his blog post the team has exceeded expectations. They def have exceeded mine although Bryz has def not as our supposed number 1 yet the team has won despite him for the most part! Kind of amazing but not really considering what the team did when Leighton filled in for Emery but we did have a healthy Pronger at the top of his game and leading the D corp..a luxury Bryz and Bob no longer have but Bob has compensated for more..something Bryz should be able to do more consistently...

I said all offseason they would be slightly above .500 in the the 1st half and then gel in the 2nd but they have gelled sooner and the rookies have been awesome and now Schenn is rounding into form. Couts is a rich man's version of Carter and Read, Harry Z and Rinaldo have all made contributions with impact at various junctures of the season. Read hit a bit of a wall but everybody else seems to be gaining a gear..lets hope it can last in the playoffs and I suspect it will since they are young enough to at least excel in Lavy's run and gun system.

Anyway..back to Bryz...he needs to start playing like a number 1 goalie more consistently. I mean Bob has a harder job keeping sharp as the backup yet when tasked as the starter he comes in and does an admirable job. Sure he lets up the occassional softie but that is to be expected given his lack of starts which are fewer and far between. Sure stats aren't indicative of everything but in Bryz's case they are glaringly unacceptable..I mean c'mon a GAA of 3.00 and under .900 save %? Flyers have given him ample opportunities to get his crap together and be more consistent yet he can't duplicate what Bob's been able to do which is for the most part give the team a chance to win without having to score 3 or more goals in a game all the time. To me it's def a mental thing with Bryz which is causing him to also be physically complacent on 2nd and 3rd attempts and even initial attempts with poor rebound control, positioning and even posture. Then of course he's committing too early.

It was interesting though to hear Clement (I think) say that Bryz comes from the school of goaltending (can't recall the name) that believe that it's better to put the rebound if you have to in front of you so you know where it is..but obviously you need the D to clear if that is your style. My friend who is a goaltender says that Bryz is showing extremely poor fundamentals and he is wondering if Reese is pointing them out and getting through to him. I think he's pointing them out b/c Bob has improved (get's his glove up more and less crouching) but I think Bryz is not wanting to hear him and is a Russian cosmonaut...

Old
01-11-2012, 10:51 AM
WeekendAtBernies

So... what does everyone think about the Universe? It's pretty big, isn't it?

Old
01-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Old
01-11-2012, 02:03 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

leighton got voted to the ahl all star team

time to call him up

Old
01-11-2012, 03:28 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

What happens if we win a cup....with bob? could that level of embarrassment be enought to coax him into retirement? I'm kiddin anyway. I'm not worried bout bryz. you mofos overreact. He WILL get it together. I aint puttin money on it or nothing. just empty words for ya to read and enjoy.

Old
01-11-2012, 03:58 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

I would post lol that we need a second thread....but I'm really starting to get mad.

Old
01-11-2012, 04:04 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
I would post lol that we need a second thread....but I'm really starting to get mad.
Starting?

Old
01-11-2012, 04:07 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Face it, dude. This much hatred for him from you could only mean that you secretly love him. He aint goin anywhere. so learn to start lowering your crazy standards. How your from philly and you have high goaltending standards i dont get but i'm not gonna pretend i didnt think his save pct. would be higher this far in. I know their payin him but were not. and to protect their investment the only person who should be worried at this point is that overrated jeff reese. It's all jeff reese's fault. him and those stupid peanut butter cups.

Old
01-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Devastate

I do think he will get it together. And although he's given up 11 goals in his last 3 starts, i do think we saw flashes of brilliance in those starts. It's just a matter of getting it all together.

Here's to hoping

Old
01-11-2012, 04:52 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
Face it, dude. This much hatred for him from you could only mean that you secretly love him. He aint goin anywhere. so learn to start lowering your crazy standards. How your from philly and you have high goaltending standards i dont get but i'm not gonna pretend i didnt think his save pct. would be higher this far in. I know their payin him but were not. and to protect their investment the only person who should be worried at this point is that overrated jeff reese. It's all jeff reese's fault. him and those stupid peanut butter cups.
High standards?!

Earth to Funghoul. Come in Funghoul.

The guy can't outplay a second year goaltender. He is in the BOTTOM TEN goaltenders of the NHL.

You can't be serious with this crap about high standards....

Old
01-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Flyerfan808

Will Bryz regain his vezina calibre form before the playoffs?

Old
01-12-2012, 09:35 AM
MrHockey1982

Sam Donnellon: Flyers goalie Bryzgalov: $51 million goof

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...YZNESS_AS.html

Oh boy...

Old
01-12-2012, 09:39 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

Despite his early inconsistency, Donellon and anyone else who writes Bryz off 41 games into this contract (especially when you consider the sample size of his successes), is being extremely short sighted.

I'll give him some time to get his groove back.

Old
01-12-2012, 09:48 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Despite his early inconsistency, Donellon and anyone else who writes Bryz off 41 games into this contract (especially when you consider the sample size of his successes), is being extremely short sighted.

I'll give him some time to get his groove back.
He never HAD his groove. You can't compare his time in Phoenix with what we've seen here because it's a totally different situation. He had no pressure from fans or media and the system in place there helped him because they were a defense first team. He now has a huge contract to live up to, the expectation of playing better than any goalie since Hextall, warped media members and vicious fans. That's a lot to deal with when you're not used to it.

Old
01-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

Bryz is a really good goalie. Not just a product of a system. I'm convinced this is mental.

Quote:
"He's one of the better goaltenders I've played against in my career and a very difficult guy to score against when he's on," Roenick said.

Maybe you know better than Roenick, but I doubt it.

Old
01-12-2012, 10:37 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Bryz is a really good goalie. Not just a product of a system. I'm convinced this is mental.

Maybe you know better than Roenick, but I doubt it.

I also think it's mental. In the game against Ottawa on Sunday, Bryz looked confident and was challenging the shooter. He looked like he was having his best game yet IMO. Then when Carle scored on him, he looked like he couldn't trust his D and then was cheating on passes and let in a bad one. To me, he looked like an all-star in that game, despite letting in 2 goals at that point, until the third period. Then he fell apart.

Old
01-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
The answer is contingent upon him winning a cup.
/ thread.

if you want this to be a running 'Bryz performance evaluation game to game' thread, fine ..... but the answer to this thread's title is clearly answered above.

Old
01-12-2012, 11:02 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
/ thread.

if you want this to be a running 'Bryz performance evaluation game to game' thread, fine ..... but the answer to this thread's title is clearly answered above.

OK but people have other opinions on whether that makes him worth his contract or not. So that's why we are discussing it regularly.

Old
01-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
I also think it's mental. In the game against Ottawa on Sunday, Bryz looked confident and was challenging the shooter. He looked like he was having his best game yet IMO. Then when Carle scored on him, he looked like he couldn't trust his D and then was cheating on passes and let in a bad one. To me, he looked like an all-star in that game, despite letting in 2 goals at that point, until the third period. Then he fell apart.
exactly.. there was one save Bryz made, but looked behind himself as if to say, yup thats a goal..

he honestly looked surprized he had stopped it.

Closed Thread