HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sather keeps Avery in limbo

Old
01-12-2012, 10:00 AM
DutchShamrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
So the Rangers are circumventing the salary cap. Got it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers aren't obligated to place Avery on re-entry. Avery cleared waivers and was assigned to the AHL. No circumvention.
Thank you. They followed the rules to the letter.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
So the Rangers are circumventing the salary cap. Got it.
I'm afraid I don't completely understand how you arrived at this conclusion, but i'm certain it is erroneous. The least you could do is substantiate your claim with something at least resembling an argument, rather than simply an assertion.

01-12-2012, 10:06 AM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
Just curious RangerBoy, are you really Larry Brooks? You have 20,800+ posts and 1/2 have to be LB articles and related posts
I was thinking this as well recently

This is just a very shrewd business move by Sather. If he does in fact have teams lined up to pick Avery up on re-entry, then why just throw him out there for nothing knowing he'll get claimed instead of trying to work out a trade for him?

Sather has a history of saying that he likes Sean (also that he's a detriment ) but this is still a business and I don't think he's looking to do Sean any favors. If that was the case he'd be on re-entry by now.

If nothing else this article by the Post may put a timer on other GMs in terms of their thought process on Avery.

And for those saying "where was this team when he was on re-entry the first time?" Remember, the first time Avery was on re-entry was before he proved that he could play in the NHL this season.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:09 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post

This is just a very shrewd business move by Sather. If he does in fact have teams lined up to pick Avery up on re-entry, then why just throw him out there for nothing knowing he'll get claimed instead of trying to work out a trade for him?

Sather has a history of saying that he likes Sean (also that he's a detriment ) but this is still a business and I don't think he's looking to do Sean any favors. If that was the case he'd be on re-entry by now.

If nothing else this article by the Post may put a timer on other GMs in terms of their thought process on Avery.

And for those saying "where was this team when he was on re-entry the first time?" Remember, the first time Avery was on re-entry was before he proved that he could play in the NHL this season.
Just because one team has indicated they would pick up Avery, it doesn't mean there may be others lurking. I don't think Sather wants to strengthen teams the Rangers might see in the division or playoffs. Not everyone is showing their hand.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

So that ends Avery's Ranger tenure.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Sean Aviary
Chirp! Chirp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Just because one team has indicated they would pick up Avery, it doesn't mean there may be others lurking. I don't think Sather wants to strengthen teams the Rangers might see in the division or playoffs. Not everyone is showing their hand.
Sean Avery is a secret agent who is going to sabotage another team's playoff run.

Sean Aviary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post

This is just a very shrewd business move by Sather. If he does in fact have teams lined up to pick Avery up on re-entry, then why just throw him out there for nothing knowing he'll get claimed instead of trying to work out a trade for him?.
Going a step further, theres no way on the earth Sather lets the Rangers encumber dead cap space by putting Avery on re-entry and letting him get claimed. None.

The Rangers are a contender, and that approx. $1M in pro-rated cap space can be the difference in a deal that could make the team better at the deadline.

If Sather finds the time to make a minor deal for Sean, great. If not, screw him, let him rot in the minors. The Rangers off him no favors.

Last edited by Bleed Ranger Blue: 01-12-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:38 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
On re-entry the Rangers are on the hook for 1/2 of the 1/2. 1/4 would count for the Rangers. 1/4 for the claiming team. Dallas remains on the hook for 1/2. Three teams are paying Avery if he is claimed on re-entry. Avery claimed on regular waivers has the claiming team getting 1/2 of the remaining hit. Dallas is still on the hook for 1/2.
Thanks RB. This is one of those things that isn't spelled out in the CBA and information on it is hard to find.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:41 AM
NYR1724

Eric Francis notes here that Florida is interested in Avery:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/01/02...ew-profit-high

NYR1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:46 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Going a step further, theres no way on the earth Sather lets the Rangers encumber dead cap space by putting Avery on re-entry and letting him get claimed. None.

The Rangers are a contender, and that approx. $1M in pro-rated cap space can be the difference in a deal that could make the team better at the deadline.

If Sather finds the time to make a minor deal for Sean, great. If not, screw him, let him rot in the minors. The Rangers off him no favors.
well thats not very nice Mr.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:51 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
So that ends Avery's Ranger tenure.
sather not putting avery on re entry waivers for another team to claim him is the end of avery's tenure as a ranger? interesting.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:58 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
sather not putting avery on re entry waivers for another team to claim him is the end of avery's tenure as a ranger? interesting.
How else do you see it?

01-12-2012, 11:09 AM
nyrleetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
How else do you see it?
Saving him for the playoff push.

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

just keep him in hartford. let him play there. who cares at this point about trading him and re-entry waivers. he's not coming back, that much is clear.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:14 AM
DrAStuart

He haunts us still...

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:18 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Any scenario in which additional cap space is taken away during the summer is not something that the Rangers are going to consider.

They still have to contend with that Redden deal and if they are going to be serious players for a guy like Parise, they will need all the available cap space they can muster.

I do not see a situation where the Rangers take on additional money beyond this season.
I totally agree. That is why all the "trade proposals" I put up were for pending UFAs - ie not effecting summer cap after the season.

And I also agree with anyone saying that we cannot afford to take the chance of putting Avery back on reentry now because it would totally without reason cost us $500.000 in space - which could be very detrimental at the deadline. We are already paying $4.243.000 in dead cap space for the Drury gaffe ("retiring" after being bought out) and the White debacle from last year (costing cap overage this year). This money could have been much more wisely spent in the offseason - but since our results at the moment contradict this (lets see in June) - the point becomes a bit moot...

Re-entry at the deadline maybe? Or an AHL swap like I envisioned previously in the thread. No other options are viable here. Sorry Sean...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:21 AM
OverTheCap

I wonder if this team legitimately wants Avery or if they are also trying to screw the Rangers out of cap space. The Rangers are a top team in the league and have a target on its backs now. I'm sure some teams would love for the Rangers to carry some dead cap space to make things more difficult for them during the deadline.

Sather is right... if a team is genuinely interested in Avery, then they should trade for him and run the risk of putting him on re-entry waivers. The more I think of it, the more I think it's a ridiculous request by the other team... "Can you please put Avery on re-entry waivers so we can claim him and you'll be saddled with half his cap hit?" I hope Sather laughed in that GM's face.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:32 AM
pjdude

Its gotta be the Devils. Marty and Sean together, LMAO....

pjdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

vCash: 1187
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdude View Post
Its gotta be the Devils. Marty and Sean together, LMAO....
I would love to see the behind the scenes of the first time he would walk into the dressing room lol.

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:48 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
I totally agree. That is why all the "trade proposals" I put up were for pending UFAs - ie not effecting summer cap after the season.
And I also agree with anyone saying that we cannot afford to take the chance of putting Avery back on reentry now because it would totally without reason cost us $500.000 in space - which could be very detrimental at the deadline. We are already paying $4.243.000 in dead cap space for the Drury gaffe ("retiring" after being bought out) and the White debacle from last year (costing cap overage this year). This money could have been much more wisely spent in the offseason - but since our results at the moment contradict this (lets see in June) - the point becomes a bit moot...

Re-entry at the deadline maybe? Or an AHL swap like I envisioned previously in the thread. No other options are viable here. Sorry Sean...
my bad.

my pea brain did not register that fact.

sorry

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure that the cap hit for the claiming team would be the same whether Avery was picked up off waivers or off re-entry waivers. This is because Avery is already at half price from us picking him up off re-entry.

I think the only difference is in who pays the other half. Off waivers, the claiming team pays half and dallas still pays half. Off re-entry, the claiming team pays half and we still pay half.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's the way it works. If so, then the only reason to pick him up off re-entry instead of regular waivers is to make us eat the cap hit instead of dallas.
It is a bit of a confusing rule... I think the only reason I know it is because it came up (at least in discussion) last time Avery was waived and then brought up through re-entry.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
This mysterious club could've claimed him on December 30th as well. Or dealt a minor leaguer for him. I just don't like Brooks' making it seem like the Rangers are at fault here for no one else wanting to pick this guy up and now, all of a sudden, there's a team that wants him for nothing when they could've had the him 3 times already.

I hope he gets back into the NHL and gets a shot. He deserves it. But this "other team" is puzzling.

Pittsburgh? They would fit the bill of a team who didn't need him the first time he went through waivers. They have been decimated by injuries up front. He could play on their third line as it stands now and chip in a few goals. He'd be ultra motivated in the same division as the Rangers too.

Cliffy1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 12:18 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

I like Larry Brooks. He doesn't write the same generic stuff everyone else writes. LB has been on the beat since 96. Some people don't like him because he is very pro NHLPA and because the Post is owned by Murdoch. Pat Morris was given permission by Sather to talk to other teams during the roster freeze. Maybe some team told Morris they would take Avery on re-entry at some point when the cap hit is smaller. Sather offered to take on additional salary in a trade for Sean. Morris tells Brooks and he puts it in the paper.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 12:37 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
Saving him for the playoff push.
He'll be well rested.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:06 PM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I would think Avery would fit in well in Vancouver and Buffalo. That's just my .02$
I could see him on Buffalo no problem

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote