HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Philadelphia Union Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2011, 07:14 PM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
This might be Amobi's last year Dooping.

Several German teams are "interested""
He's not going anywhere until he gets a lot more playing time.

Old
01-12-2012, 12:11 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
The Union selected forward Chandler Hoffman from UCLA with the 13th pick of the draft.

He was projected to go 1st overall in one of the MLS mock drafts.
http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/new...012-mock-draft

Old
01-12-2012, 12:20 PM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn Couturier View Post
The Union selected forward Chandler Hoffman from UCLA with the 13th pick of the draft.

He was projected to go 1st overall in one of the MLS mock drafts.
http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/new...012-mock-draft

Could turn out to be a solid pick. Some are speculating this means the end for Danny Mwanga.

Old
01-12-2012, 12:48 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Could turn out to be a solid pick. Some are speculating this means the end for Danny Mwanga.
Hope to see more of his ballskill and one on ones. From what I saw from the video (and only this video) he knows where to go during crosses and will fight infront of the net.

That being said, his midfielders (primarily right and the long haired center) looked like good players and gave him some great balls to finish. Dont know how his speed is.

Old
01-12-2012, 12:50 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

The thing about Mwanga is he's just ungodly slow. He has an inability to create his own space because of this fact. It's sad to say, because I really like Danny, but I think it may be a good idea to move him to sure up an area of weakness.

Since we selected a forward with our pick, I wouldn't mind seeing them move Mwanga for a good defender or CB with potential to replace califf at some point.

Old
01-12-2012, 01:01 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
The thing about Mwanga is he's just ungodly slow. He has an inability to create his own space because of this fact. It's sad to say, because I really like Danny, but I think it may be a good idea to move him to sure up an area of weakness.

Since we selected a forward with our pick, I wouldn't mind seeing them move Mwanga for a good defender or CB with potential to replace califf at some point.
One of the big things I wanted them to draft was was CB. There were some decent D taken but all the good ones taken ahead of them sadly. I guess at that point Hoffman was the best guy available.

Old
01-12-2012, 02:54 PM
slitz

yeah I think they would have taken hedges if he had been there

Old
01-18-2012, 11:51 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/m...-league-011812

Quote:
Philadelphia star striker Sebastien LeToux arrived in England on Wednesday ahead of a potential transfer to Bolton, United Kingdom-based sources told FOX Soccer Wednesday morning. The Union are prepared to sell the 28-year-old French striker in a move that would allow Philadelphia to keep young attacker Danny Mwanga, around whom trade rumors have recently circulated. The move would also free the funds needed to replace the all-star LeToux.

Old
01-18-2012, 12:12 PM
JVR21
G

Le Toux is such a boss.

Old
01-18-2012, 12:24 PM
pelts35.com

That would be a huge loss for the Union. He's only the most popular player on the roster by far.

Old
01-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:
That would be a huge loss for the Union. He's only the most popular player on the roster by far.
And with the issues they seemed to have scoring last year, losing your best striker seems problematic. I guess if the fee is around the same as for Tim Ream ($2.5 million or so), that's hard to pass up. Still, tough loss...especially for someone who's just started following them a bit.

Old
01-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
At least we get to keep Mwanga now, and hopefully the money is high enough that we can pick up someone good.

Old
01-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Mgkibbles

Well, that would suck.

Old
01-18-2012, 12:47 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydepps View Post
At least we get to keep Mwanga now, and hopefully the money is high enough that we can pick up someone good.
Hopefully he can get past last season's slump. I think most expected too much from him and he tried to do too much. Didnt like how he played a majority of the games. Forced wayy to many balls and seemed to try to take on the whole defense at points. Losing LeToux takes a big toll out of out offense. We couldnt score goals before, and now we take away one of our best players. I know we got a bunch of young guys, but we could definitely use another guy who can score goals for us.

I have some high hopes for Josue Martinez though. I think he could become a tremendous player. One of the players I am looking forward to watching play.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:11 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydepps View Post
Most Union fans were hoping that Mwanga was on his way out. That's hardly good news if the Union are to rely on him to be their main source of offense.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:17 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Unless we draw every game 0-0, I don't see much accumulation of points this season...

The future now rides on a, if Mwanga can become the player he's supposed to be b, if Martinez turns out to be the real deal and c, if Hoffman can come in right away and contribute. He is projected as being ready to play in the mls this season.

Not a good move here.

Also, I don't understand the rationale here. Le toux is 28 and will most likely be a bench player on a bad/fringe premier league team.

I think I would rather be a star in the MLS and potentially help my team win a championship than play space minutes off the bench on a team in the EPL that only competes to not be relegated every year. However, it still remains to be seen if le toux asked to be transferred or not, but the signs are pointing towards the notion that he requested to be transferred.

Things are looking down for the U.

Old
01-19-2012, 09:21 AM
pelts35.com

There are a lot of unhappy Union fans posting on the Union's Facebook page and not a single comment from the team about it. Not a good PR move on their part.

Old
01-30-2012, 02:58 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/new...gree-part-ways

Quote:
Philadelphia Union and goalkeeper Faryd Mondragón today announced that they have mutually decided to part ways, allowing for Mondragón to return to his native Colombia and play for Colombian First Division side Deportivo Cali. The 40-year-old Mondragon made his professional debut with Cali in 1990 at the age of 21.
Bye Mondragon

Zac MacMath time.

Old
01-30-2012, 03:14 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
So 2 of the Union's best players are gone.

Bummer.

What exactly do they put the money they got for Le Toux into?

Old
01-30-2012, 03:19 PM
JVR21
G

Honestly, Mondragon didn't impress me too much. It's time for the first rounder to step in. I'm still upset about Le Toux, though.

Old
01-30-2012, 03:23 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
So 2 of the Union's best players are gone.

Bummer.

What exactly do they put the money they got for Le Toux into?
Macmath did great after Mondragon was hurt and he was the union's first round pick last season. I think he will be just fine. To be honest i thought Mondragon was mediocre at best midway through the season.

As far as I know, the LeToux transfer is not confirmed as he is over there on a trial. I believe they have until tomorrow to make a final decision.

Old
01-30-2012, 04:24 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Macmath did great after Mondragon was hurt and he was the union's first round pick last season. I think he will be just fine. To be honest i thought Mondragon was mediocre at best midway through the season.

As far as I know, the LeToux transfer is not confirmed as he is over there on a trial. I believe they have until tomorrow to make a final decision.
this is correct.

macmath largely outperformed mondragon in the 2nd half of the season, and i think he will be fine. he could even be poised to breakout as an elite goalkeeper this season.

as for Le Toux, he did not impress in his tryout with bolton, and is back with the Union. All signs point to him still being here next season, unless another team goes after him, which i highly doubt. If a fringe EPL team that only competes to avoid relegation, like bolton didn't want him i cant see anyone else making a push.

Le Toux will likely be here next season.

Old
01-30-2012, 08:18 PM
slitz

le toux is still with the Union, but rumors swirling that he is being shopped for a trade within MLS. crazy stuff. guess he doesnt fit in the long term plans and with his contract being up at the end of the year, they might be trying to salvage something for him

Old
01-30-2012, 08:57 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Danny Mwanga is training with Aston Villa for 10 days currently, it would make no sense for the Union to dump Le Toux at the moment.

Mwanga could be gone next winter as well.

Also Freddy Adu to Rayo Vellcano could be a possible move too.

Old
01-30-2012, 09:27 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
I get that Le Toux is a dynamic player in MLS, but it doesn't seem like that translates to wide success outside the States.

Closed Thread