HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will/should the Kings resign either Mitchell or Scuderi?

Old
01-11-2012, 01:51 PM
BKR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
I'm afraid that with Mitchell it will be the same as with O'Donnell. Perhaps his concussion history will not get him a multi-year offer, but there are teams out there that can pay him what Kings won't match. To be honest, I would be much happier to have Scuderi's contract running out this season and Mitchell's next season.
Citing the concussion issues and age, I can't see DL offering Willie more than a 1-2 year deal. Makes sense from a player perspective for him to look elsewhere (i.e. Immediate contender). Keeping Scuderi on the books with either Doughty or as a Voynov mentor makes sense.

BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 01:58 PM
johnjm22

I like our top 6 D.

Scuderi - Doughty
Mitchell - Voynov
Johnson - Greene

I'd prefer to keep that unit in place.

If we lose anyone, I prefer it be Johnson via trade; not because I dislike him, but because I think he'd return the most in a trade relative to what he brings on the ice.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 03:37 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
First off, some of you people baffle me. The Kings have said numerous times they like having 3 stay at home D and 3 puck movers on D...so why would they let go Mitchell and trade Greene and go with a bunch of soft puck movers....Who the heck is going to clear the front of the net? Who is going to check the opposition. Teams hate playing against Greene and Mitchell.

Mitchell lives in Vancouver in the off season. Which is probably why he likes LA and considered San Jose...The two closest teams to Vancouver.

If Kings let Mitchell walk, trust me, they will be in market for a similar replacement...Like a Beauchemin, Gleason, or Salvador.
This would be one of the few scenarios in which I'd be ok losing Willie. If Gleason hits free agency I think he'd be the perfect replacement and should cost right around what Mitchell is making... I could see a team throwing huge money at him but I think if the Kings offer him right around 3-4 million for 3-4 years it might land him. He'd bring a similar skillset and could fit in nicely alongside JJ or Voinov.

I could see Muzzin (or Gravel in a couple years) being the replacement for Scuderi in a year when his contract is up, and I think Greene needs to be held onto until Campbell, Forbort, or Roach are ready to step in. I think if anything Hickey, Kolomatis and Deslauriers are going to be the odd men out as long as the kings keep 3 of DD, JJ, Voinov, and A-Mart.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Quote:
First off, some of you people baffle me. The Kings have said numerous times they like having 3 stay at home D and 3 puck movers on D...so why would they let go Mitchell and trade Greene and go with a bunch of soft puck movers....Who the heck is going to clear the front of the net? Who is going to check the opposition. Teams hate playing against Greene and Mitchell.

Mitchell lives in Vancouver in the off season. Which is probably why he likes LA and considered San Jose...The two closest teams to Vancouver.

If Kings let Mitchell walk, trust me, they will be in market for a similar replacement...Like a Beauchemin, Gleason, or Salvador.
This is kind of what I was trying to get at, the Kings don't really have these kind of players in the system. Martinez is not a true banger. Hickey is smaller but seems to be rounding out his overall game. Forbort is a project. Muzzin has the potential. Deslauries is more of an offensive Dman as well. Campbell is a possiblity but I'd be surprised if he ever makes the Kings.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 05:06 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
With the salary cap the way it is and both dmen on the shady side of the mountain I'd be shocked to see either re-sign with the Kings if their contracts expire and they hit free agency. If I had to choose between Scuderi or Mitchell I'd take Scuderi. Both are solid, stay at home dmen but Scuderi rarely makes mistakes and he has a winning background (not that Mitchell doesn't I just prefer what Scuderi brings to the Kings all around).

The Tikkanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 05:11 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

There are many reasons why the Kings are so good on the PK.

Matt Greene is one of them. I think Lombardi will be hanging onto to him unless another team wants him in a package deal that provides a serious upgrade on the wing.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 05:18 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
There are many reasons why the Kings are so good on the PK.

Matt Greene is one of them. I think Lombardi will be hanging onto to him unless another team wants him in a package deal that provides a serious upgrade on the wing.
The good news is there really is no need to even think about moving dmen yet. The Kings can lose Mitchell in free agency and it's not going to make the team drop anchor. They won't be able to run a perfect 3-3 system on D but they do have a couple of players who can fill the 5-6 pairings minutes. I don't think the D or the goalies are on Lombardi's radar right now, he's got too many issues on forward in the top 6 and all over on the bottom 6.

Old
01-11-2012, 06:25 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
The good news is there really is no need to even think about moving dmen yet. The Kings can lose Mitchell in free agency and it's not going to make the team drop anchor. They won't be able to run a perfect 3-3 system on D but they do have a couple of players who can fill the 5-6 pairings minutes. I don't think the D or the goalies are on Lombardi's radar right now, he's got too many issues on forward in the top 6 and all over on the bottom 6.
Mitchell is our best defenseman on most nights. Losing him would hurt.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Johnny Utah

Lombardi said he traded Teubert because he projects him as a Matt Greene and he foresaw Matt staying a King for awhile.

Mitchell is a beast this year. He is way meaner than last year, has 2 fights and has 2 goals and 6 assists for 8 points...he had only 10 points last year...I know that's not his game, but he is having a good contract year. I hope he re-signs.

The difference is OD looked slow his last year as a King and was 39 when he left to sign with Philly. Mitchell will be 34. That's a 5 year difference.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Lombardi said he traded Teubert because he projects him as a Matt Greene and he foresaw Matt staying a King for awhile.

Mitchell is a beast this year. He is way meaner than last year, has 2 fights and has 2 goals and 6 assists for 8 points...he had only 10 points last year...I know that's not his game, but he is having a good contract year. I hope he re-signs.

The difference is OD looked slow his last year as a King and was 39 when he left to sign with Philly. Mitchell will be 34. That's a 5 year difference.
If it was you, Stanley Cup would go to whichever team had the best fighters on it. Just put 10 enforcers in the squad and you will support them to death. Seriously, half of your posts are just about that. Even if people are talking about ice girls, cap hit or quality of ice, you will find a way to bring fighting in. Holy crap man, hockey is more than fighting!

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 02:25 AM
BringTheReign

I think a big part of this decision on Lombardi's part will have to do with any moves he wants to make to strengthen our offense as well. I don't think we can wait and build through the draft with our offense, so some cap space is going to be needed, which means our more expensive veterans may be let walk just because we have to go out and spend money on our offense.

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 09:39 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheReign View Post
I think a big part of this decision on Lombardi's part will have to do with any moves he wants to make to strengthen our offense as well. I don't think we can wait and build through the draft with our offense, so some cap space is going to be needed, which means our more expensive veterans may be let walk just because we have to go out and spend money on our offense.
This is true but I think you look at Penner as being the first to go, I honestly can't see the Kings resigning him at this point unless he goes on a tear for the rest of the season. This off-season is going to hinge more on when Gagne comes back and what moves the Kings are able to make at the deadline rather than what the plan is for Mitchell. I honestly still think the Kings are in good enough shape to win on the offensive and defensive side of things, it's more a matter of getting guys healthy and adjusting the system to allow the offense to improve (easier said than done) but I don't see the need for wholesale changes being made at this point.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Kingurentai

Like others said, I think we need to try and keep both for a couple more years. Mitchell is more obvious, but the plays that Scuderi makes....NONE of our young defensemen can make on a consistent basis, night in and night out. Yes, our young D's make good defensive plays but I'm talking about with a high consistency.

If there's a 2 on 1, who would you want back there? In this specific scenario, I'd take Scuderi over Mitchell even.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Capn Brown

Guys, if Dean has a chance to sign Parise over the summer, Dean won't be saying to himself "Hmmmm.....if we re-sign Mitchell, we then won't have the cap space to sign Parise. Whatever shall I do?!" In other words, that scenario likely sees Mitchell gone, as Dean will not forgo Parise in favor of Mitchell.

It also comes down to price & age. Davis Drewiske is both young and cheap and will be replacing either Scuderi or Mitchell sooner rather than later. To believe otherwise would be ignoring economic reality.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 11:38 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
Guys, if Dean has a chance to sign Parise over the summer, Dean won't be saying to himself "Hmmmm.....if we re-sign Mitchell, we then won't have the cap space to sign Parise. Whatever shall I do?!" In other words, that scenario likely sees Mitchell gone, as Dean will not forgo Parise in favor of Mitchell.

It also comes down to price & age. Davis Drewiske is both young and cheap and will be replacing either Scuderi or Mitchell sooner rather than later. To believe otherwise would be ignoring economic reality.
Agree 100%. I'd be shocked if Mitchell is re-signed after July 1st. It just doesn't make sense given the Kings cap out look right now. They have spent too much money on defense, Mitchell is an older player who should be looking for the greenest possible pasture and that isn't LA. Scuderi is a great example of how it works for these types of players-a crucial piece of the winning puzzle in Pittsburgh and come July he's gone. They move on without a beat. If you've fallen in love with Mitchell or Scuderi be prepared to have your heart broken. Older, stay at home defensemen are expendable assets in the salary cap NHL. And this is coming from a guy who never puts much stock in young players but the reality is Voynov and Martinez will be given more minutes next season and Mitchell will be over-paid by a team on the brink of winning a Cup if he's not signed to an extension before July 1st.

Old
01-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears View Post
Scuderi isn't a UFA at the end of this season...

Sign Mitchell to a 1 year deal, $3 million.

Like others have mentioned, without Mitchell in the lineup we just aren't the same.
Scuderi signed a 4-year deal that started in 2009-10. You do the math.

Personally, I'd let Mitchell go. He is injury prone and will be 35 this year. I really, REALLY want Hickey to get a chance. He had excuses for not making the team in the past few seasons because of the depth in defense. Now if he still doesn't make the team with an open spot for him, then he really is a bust.

EDIT: Haha, I misread your post. I thought you wrote "isn't an UFA UNTIL the end of the season."

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Nex06

Quote:

Drewiske can't replace anyone. Not now, not in the future. To say that Drewiske can replace what Mitchell and Scuderi bring to this team is silly, no offense.

Old
01-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
If it was you, Stanley Cup would go to whichever team had the best fighters on it. Just put 10 enforcers in the squad and you will support them to death. Seriously, half of your posts are just about that. Even if people are talking about ice girls, cap hit or quality of ice, you will find a way to bring fighting in. Holy crap man, hockey is more than fighting!
It's not fighting, it's team toughness. Standing up for each other.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
It's not fighting, it's team toughness. Standing up for each other.
I like that too, but with some posters it's something else. I think they put too much importance on fighting. To be honest I maybe see 1-2 on this forum. Yeah, only that few.

To each his own I guess, but it doesn't make sense to rate every player based on how well he fights and every team only based on how tough they are. You don't have to be world heavyweight champions to win the Cup. You need to be a good hockey player. And I do consider mental and physical toughness to be an important part of being a good hockey player.

I guess I will never be a member of hockeyfights.com.

Old
01-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Johnny Utah

It isn't about that, but people are calling for a D core of Martinez, Doughty, Johnson, Voynov, letting go Scuderi and Mitchell and then trading Greene? And possibly inserting Hickey? WTF. That would be the softest D in the NHL.

Kings will always go with 3 stay at home guys who are hard on the stick or play physical. That is Hextall and Lombardi's mentality. I am grateful for that otherwise, if some posters had there way the Kings D would look like a figure skating team.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:25 PM
damacles1156

Cant believe some of you guys.

If the Kings let Mitchell/Scuds/Greene go, and don't replace them with Similar players with (Experience).

The Kings will go from one of the Best Defensive core to the worst (in one season).

The Kings record without Mitchell (Alone just him), was awful. None of those guys are going to be Five Million dollar D men. No one is going to offer ANY of them that kind of money.

Mitchell/Greene/Scuds are not going to hamper Dean (or the next GM) at taking a run at a Sniper in UFA.

Resign Mitchell at 3.5 to 4 is fair, Two years maybe three. He is consistently the Kings Best stay Home man night in night out.

Stoll/Penner/ Cap hits will be gone at the end of the season.

damacles1156 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Duc620

But they could block point shots with triple salchows and confuse the opponent.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Scuderi signed a 4-year deal that started in 2009-10. You do the math.

Personally, I'd let Mitchell go. He is injury prone and will be 35 this year. I really, REALLY want Hickey to get a chance. He had excuses for not making the team in the past few seasons because of the depth in defense. Now if he still doesn't make the team with an open spot for him, then he really is a bust.

EDIT: Haha, I misread your post. I thought you wrote "isn't an UFA UNTIL the end of the season."
do you not realize that Drewiske, Martinez and Voynov are all ahead of Hickey on the depth chart? With the amount of puck movers the Kings have on their roster and in their system, Hickey will be lucky to ever play a game for the Kings. There is eitehr going to have to some player movement or lots of injuries for that to happen.

Quote:
It isn't about that, but people are calling for a D core of Martinez, Doughty, Johnson, Voynov, letting go Scuderi and Mitchell and then trading Greene? And possibly inserting Hickey? WTF. That would be the softest D in the NHL.

Kings will always go with 3 stay at home guys who are hard on the stick or play physical. That is Hextall and Lombardi's mentality. I am grateful for that otherwise, if some posters had there way the Kings D would look like a figure skating team.
The Kings spend too much on defense. If they want to improve the offense, they are probably going to need to cut some salary there. Quick/Bernier are going to be getting paid a lot more after next season so they have to save money for that. That means the Kings are either going to have to replace Mitchell with somebody cheaper or potentially move some of these younger defensemen as they get closer to waiver eligbility and UFA status. If you don't want to see Mitchell, Scuderi or Greene gone, what do you suggest the Kings do with Martinez, Voynov and Hickey? I'm not suggesting they replace them with the former but you can't keep all these players and Mitchell isn't getting any younger.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:37 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
do you not realize that Drewiske, Martinez and Voynov are all ahead of Hickey on the depth chart? With the amount of puck movers the Kings have on their roster and in their system, Hickey will be lucky to ever play a game for the Kings. There is eitehr going to have to some player movement or lots of injuries for that to happen.

The Kings spend too much on defense. If they want to improve the offense, they are probably going to need to cut some salary there. Quick/Bernier are going to be getting paid a lot more after next season so they have to save money for that. That means the Kings are either going to have to replace Mitchell with somebody cheaper or potentially move some of these younger defensemen as they get closer to waiver eligbility and UFA status. If you don't want to see Mitchell, Scuderi or Greene gone, what do you suggest the Kings do with Martinez, Voynov and Hickey? I'm not suggesting they replace them with the former but you can't keep all these players and Mitchell isn't getting any younger.
Bernier is not going to be a King for much longer if Quick keeps playing like this.

Hickey/A-Mart should be trade bait. They should be moved for forward prospects in similar situations(log-jams).

Muzzin really is the only D prospect probably close to being a Legit NHL consistent D man(he could even use another year maybe).

Slava already has a full time spot pretty much sooooo. Davis is the perfect 7th D man(doesn't complain/always ready to play).

Forbort is not close to being on any Pro roster (project) the rest of the Manchester bunch (D wise) needs about two/three years more.
The Kings can keep the current core another two/three years I say.

Last edited by damacles1156: 01-12-2012 at 01:45 PM.
damacles1156 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2012, 01:46 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:

In the cap, 39 or 35 (which WIllie will be at seasons end) makes little difference. You sign him toa multi-year deal and he goes out and has another concussion, you are eating that cap hit. That's the perils of a 35+ multi-year contract. And no way Willie signs before July 1st without getting offered a multi-year deal. Given his injury history, including concussion history, I'd be worried about offering him 2-3 years, which he'll be asking. DL would be worried too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Cant believe some of you guys.

If the Kings let Mitchell/Scuds/Greene go, and don't replace them with Similar players with (Experience).

The Kings will go from one of the Best Defensive core to the worst (in one season).

The Kings record without Mitchell (Alone just him), was awful. None of those guys are going to be Five Million dollar D men. No one is going to offer ANY of them that kind of money.

Mitchell/Greene/Scuds are not going to hamper Dean (or the next GM) at taking a run at a Sniper in UFA.

Resign Mitchell at 3.5 to 4 is fair, Two years maybe three. He is consistently the Kings Best stay Home man night in night out.

Stoll/Penner/ Cap hits will be gone at the end of the season.
See above with Mitchell. It's not about cap space, it's about age and injury history.

Also, the Kings likely would replace Mitchell with a similar player if they can, hence the talk of guys like Gleason.

Quote:
Davis Drewiske is both young and cheap and will be replacing either Scuderi or Mitchell sooner rather than later. To believe otherwise would be ignoring economic reality.
Drewiske would likely either be passed over for a prospect from Manchester (Muzzin/Hickey/Campbell) or someone who gets signed as a UFA (Gleason/Stuart). Drewiske is Plan C or D at this point. There's a reason why when we get injuries someone gets recalled from Manchester instead of playing him (Martinez last year and Voynov this year).

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote